Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-02-2013   #41
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft grades for those who don't like draft grades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Exactly. I don't get the beef.

It's just a prediction/projection based on opinion. It's just talk.

Hence the reason why everyone's grades and predictions are different.
Exactly. Thought that was really this forum primary function, to publicly state ones opinion.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013   #42
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

It's like she's trying to be different and contradicting the norm because she doesn't want to be mainstream...

Old 05-02-2013   #43
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Then this is for me, because I highly dislike draft grades. Except in 2011 when sports pundits graded the Texans with B's and C's, and CBS Sports judged JJ Watt a "questionable pick."
yep, along with reports that Houston fans booed the JJ pick at many draft parties because they are ignorant dumba...errr...uninformed.

I usually avoid any and all draft talk because even the so-called "experts" seem to be shooting in the dark and talking out of their asses most of the time. I don't mean the average fan, but rather all the talking heads on tv and radio. But most of these guys act like they know it all.

Wait to see how these players do in the NFL before evaluating any of them. That's the only way to have a truly educated opinion about specific drafts.

But I get why folks do it. Off-season is long and boring and it's something to keep your head in football. I don't have a problem with it, but I don't put much merit in the opinions at the same time.
Old 05-02-2013   #44
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
The fact that these grades are just a reflection of different people's opinions doesn't bother me. And I'm not sure why it seems to bother you.

I think everyone recognizes that the draft can't really be graded until the careers of the guys picked are nearing completion.
I'm not irate about this stuff. It doesn't BOTHER me like political stuff I'd rather not talk about bothers me.

I just think grades are sort of silly because they are usually wrong and yet people treat them like they mean something.

So I'm just acknowledging the extreme lack of information for making an informed analysis on this subject by giving smiley face stars and silly grades to drafts instead of letter grades.

Personally, I would prefer the focus to be on trying to find out more about the players, and waiting and seeing, and less about judging them before they have done anything.

Yes, predictions, and analysis and people coming out with 2014 mock drafts and stuff is all just blathering until there is something real to talk about.

But as an aside....

I do get concerned that sometimes fans get overly wed to pre-draft assessments of players. Like they almost would rather be right than see a guy do something different than their assessment.

Maybe that is just something I see a lot from blog comments. And sometimes from message board comments. Where a fan will crush a guy before he's had a chance to do much of anything. And then come back long after, and go, man I was wrong on that guy. Or maybe never come around on a guy. Or the total opposite.

From a psychology stand point, often our first impressions are ones that we want to hold on to, even when evidence comes around that flies in the face of it because as humans we want certainty on things that are inherently uncertain.

A good article on this subject in general in the New Yorker Magazine recently:

Quote:
The human mind is incredibly averse to uncertainty and ambiguity; from an early age, we respond to uncertainty or lack of clarity by spontaneously generating plausible explanations. What’s more, we hold on to these invented explanations as having intrinsic value of their own. Once we have them, we don’t like to let them go.

In 1972, the psychologist Jerome Kagan posited that uncertainty resolution was one of the foremost determinants of our behavior. When we can’t immediately gratify our desire to know, we become highly motivated to reach a concrete explanation. That motivation, in Kagan’s conception, lies at the heart of most other common motives: achievement, affiliation, power, and the like. We want to eliminate the distress of the unknown. We want, in other words, to achieve “cognitive closure.” This term was coined by the social psychologist Arie Kruglanski, who eventually defined it as “individuals’ desire for a firm answer to a question and an aversion toward ambiguity,” a drive for certainty in the face of a less than certain world. When faced with heightened ambiguity and a lack of clear-cut answers, we need to know—and as quickly as possible.

It’s a self-reinforcing loop: we search energetically, but once we’ve seized onto an idea we remain crystallized at that point. And if we’ve externally committed ourselves to our position by tweeting or posting or speaking? We crystallize our judgment all the more, so as not to appear inconsistent. It’s why false rumors start—and why they die such hard deaths.

I still have one blog commenter who is still crushing players who objectively everybody suggests are above average to excellent players. (He is still mad about the VY thing, so maybe that's its own thing).
Old 05-02-2013   #45
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

Make your predictions. Just don't pretend they mean anything. Why they play the games.
I think the problem is when people think they mean way more than what they do mean & base their opinions based on that.

No one thinks an A+ draft ranking means that a player is going to the HOF. At this point (because the 3 year grade is different, that grade takes into account how the selected players performed in the NFL) the grade simply means someone did a good job putting square pegs in square holes, round pegs in round holes. Whether you agree with it or not, you can look back & trend the "reputable" graders & see the "good" teams generally get good draft grades, the "bad" teams usually don't.

Some teams draft well, some teams don't. That can not be denied.
Old 05-02-2013   #46
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Wait to see how these players do in the NFL before evaluating any of them. That's the only way to have a truly educated opinion about specific drafts.
Every college in America scouts the highschool ranks & grade every player from every major highschool. Before the season is over, they will have each player ranked, 1 to whatever it takes & will do their best to go get the ones they think are the best of the bunch.

Every NFL team does the same with the college ranks. They grade college players who never played an NFL snap & rank them top to bottom.

Is there anything wrong with that?

We don't get to see those lists, for obvious reasons. But it happens, year in & year out.

If a team were able to select 7 players that were in their top 10, did they have a good draft?

If a team were able to select 7 players that were in their top 20, would that be a good draft?

What about 7 of their top 50?

Or should they just be happy they got 7 shiny new players & be done with it?

As stated, we don't get to see these rankings, but we get to see the rankings of at least half a dozen reputable sources. An educated fan should be able to factor in a degree of inaccuracy ( since the reputable rankings are generally applied to all teams) and be able to form a working opinion of the result of a particular draft.

If you were McNair, how would you determine if you're getting your money's worth & not a set of new Emperor dregs?
Old 05-02-2013   #47
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 221373 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

But I get why folks do it. Off-season is long and boring and it's something to keep your head in football. I don't have a problem with it, but I don't put much merit in the opinions at the same time.
That is far too measured and respectful an opinion to give in this thread. People prefer having their pastimes referred to as silly.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read