Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 05-02-2013   #21
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: D.C. Council may push Washington Redskins into ‘Washington Redtails’

Washington Crackheads

Dread, shocking that a unionized black man would favor the side of political correctness.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013   #22
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Before being forced to change their name, I would like to know how much Native Americans even care.

This came up with Florida State a few years back where one noisy group complained and got some press, and the rest of the Seminole Nation (real ones, not fans of the team) said hell no, we like them and the pre game rituals.
noxiousdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013   #23
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126616 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: D.C. Council may push Washington Redskins into ‘Washington Redtails’

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Washington Crackheads

Dread, shocking that a unionized black man would favor the side of political correctness.

"Politically correct?" It's a racial slur. I'm not siding with the city councilman on this one as I think he's trying to use this as a political spring board to run for mayor or congress, and I don't like the name he's suggesting. I am however saying that I've been siding with the Indians on this one since the 80s. If someone called a team the "Tennessee Tarbabies" I wouldn't be too keen on them either. For the record. I'm NOT IN THE UNION.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"

Last edited by Dread-Head; 05-02-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Dread-Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013   #24
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126616 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog View Post
Before being forced to change their name, I would like to know how much Native Americans even care.

This came up with Florida State a few years back where one noisy group complained and got some press, and the rest of the Seminole Nation (real ones, not fans of the team) said hell no, we like them and the pre game rituals.
That's because they use the actual name and not some slur.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Old 05-02-2013   #25
BIG TORO 
TERADACTYL #23

Section: Bull Pen!
Rep Power: 17946 BIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought Red tails was referring to hawks, not the airmen?

Sig Courtesy of False Start
BIG TORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013   #26
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
You are assuming slur. The origins of the word are not even known.

It's use here was clearly not meant as a slur in honor of their Indian head coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog View Post

The last poll found Washington Redskins was acceptable to 90% of Indians.
Old 05-02-2013   #27
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
THat is a fantastic name for them. The Washington Shinnecocks! There's no way anyone will make fun of that name!
Old 05-02-2013   #28
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Good (recent) article about it:

Native Americans Speaking Out In Support Of Redskins
Old 05-02-2013   #29
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
You are assuming slur. The origins of the word are not even known.

It's use here was clearly not meant as a slur in honor of their Indian head coach.
Fair enough. But I'd like to think were I a football coach and a team decided to call themselves the Detroit Darkies to honor me that I might have an objection...or SUMTHIN'. Even if it's in jest...ehhhh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infantrycak
Truthfully...if the Indians don't have a problem with it then I withdraw my objection.

..THIS is why he's a lawyer.
Old 05-02-2013   #30
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 19458 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I don't see how referring to the skin on their butts is an improvement.

MightyTExan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013   #31
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Just a side note, but I don't like the name "Indians"...

I have no idea if they are offended by that or not, but I just don't feel right not calling them Native Americans.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013   #32
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
My family comes from indian descent (Mom's side.. really shows in my sister who has a year around tan).. the name does not bother us AT ALL and we don't veiw it as a racial slur, mainly because we aren't so damn sensitive where we read into it more than it is and get offended.

The only people really bitching about it or those who are non native american and those who always want to turn everything into a race issue and gain political points or notoriety. Let it be.. it's a historic team and grandfathered in.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013   #33
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
My family comes from indian descent (Mom's side.. really shows in my sister who has a year around tan).. the name does not bother us AT ALL and we don't veiw it as a racial slur, mainly because we aren't so damn sensitive where we read into it more than it is and get offended.

The only people really bitching about it or those who are non native american and those who always want to turn everything into a race issue and gain political points or notoriety. Let it be.. it's a historic team and grandfathered in.
Let the record show (and you can go back to my previous posts which followed the one you responded to confirm this) I was saying:

1. The whole thing looks like a DC politician trying to get his name in the papers.

2. "If Indians aren't offended then I withdraw my objection."
Old 05-02-2013   #34
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post

Yep

For the record my family comes from Indian/Irish descent. I have the same features like your sister.

Sometimes I have a minor binge drinking problem too. LOL
Old 05-02-2013   #35
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Just a side note, but I don't like the name "Indians"...

I have no idea if they are offended by that or not, but I just don't feel right not calling them Native Americans.
Most of, if not all, the tribes still use the name "Indian", so I figure that's a good measure to gage their attitude toward it. My post up-thread has a bunch of links to various tribes' websites that use "Indian", so if they are not upset about it, I'm certainly not going to crusade against it.

I figure most of us are "native Americans" by birth, all things considered.
Old 05-02-2013   #36
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63030 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

lolz at the "My sister tans easy and I don't care." We all have African blood in us. Guess that means we're all African American too?
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013   #37
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B. View Post
lolz at the "My sister tans easy and I don't care." We all have African blood in us. Guess that means we're all African American too?
We all have human blood in us.

That's all that really matters.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013   #38
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

If they continue to push this issue, if I were in control of the Redskins, I would tell them... "If DC doesn't want the Redskins, the Redskins will find someone who does." Yes, LA would be mentioned somewhere in my reply.
Old 05-02-2013   #39
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B. View Post
Does this mean my son will get the same opportunities that other minority students get to enter the school of his choice? Does he qualify for minority grants/loans?

Can I now be considered a minority business owner and receive those perks?
Old 05-03-2013   #40
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82097 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Just name them the Griffins already.
Vance87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read