Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-28-2013   #41
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56098 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NT Concern...

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
People keep saying this like Cushing played most of the year. He went out in game 5.
Who are these people? Not me. You don't think I know when Cushing went down?
Vance87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #42
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171454 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post
Weird, I guess you missed the Packers game, the second Jax game, the Detroit game, both Patriots games and the last Indy game.
They played sub packages on more than 50% of their defensive snaps last season ... Teams were in 2nd / 3rd and long an awful lot. THose are passing situations.

It seemed like (to me at least) that every time a team made a big play , it was in a 3rd and long situation.

The Pats & Packers .... they just whooped that ass from start to finish.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #43
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I think you really have to examine those stats subjectively - Early in the season the Texans were ahead more often than not and teams were forced to pass.

Later in the season when the offense struggled , teams were able to run more effectively.

They were #1 or #2 during that first 12 games ... then fell to #7 after those last 4.

This tells me that as the offense goes , so goes the defense.
I completely understand & agree. However, I think it's taken into consideration when designing our defense. If the plan is to efficiently outscore the opponent, why invest the time & effort to find a freak of an athlete that doesn't grow on trees?

It's easier to find that other guy who'll split that gap & get in the backfield, drawing the attention of those big uglies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I think this is a subject worth exploring.

Generally in the 3-4 keping the LBers clean to make plays is important.

They got so much more production out of the front 3 than they did their LBers .... especially after Cushing went down that I wonder if this wasnt by design - putting Watt and Ninja in position to capitalize on mismatches at the expense of the LBers not named Cushing.
Generally.... & Wade hasn't done the General thing. The ILBs only blitz when we can't generate the pass rush from the outside. He runs it very much like a 4-3.

Against the run, we consistently see everybody but Bradie James in the backfield & I don't think that has anything to do with what our NT is, or is not, doing.
Old 04-29-2013   #44
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17109 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Unless the piss poor LB's are crashing into the OL at the point of attack I dont see how the good numbers by the line corrolate with a 'design' or intent by the coaches. Ninja and Swatt just kicked peoples asses last year, plain and simple.
Old 04-29-2013   #45
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

The texans need to not be as reactionary this year. You got all these aggressive players so don't take them out of their element and/or try to have them play in a way that's not them.

Coaches need to be aggressive in their playcallimg and personnel decisions.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #46
House of Pain
Knee-jerkless

Section: 106
Rep Power: 4027 House of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respected

This thread brought up the issue of Wade's defenses putting the ILBs in the line of fire with the O lineman, thus leading to more injuries at LB. I wonder if there is any way to look at Wade's past teams, and see if they actually had more injuries to the ILB core, or if this is just conjecture?
House of Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013   #47
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

To me it's pretty simple. We need a NT who can shoot a gap and also command a double team. Montori Hughes would have been a great option but we opted for a guy, Sam Montgomery, who IMO do not fit our system. We want to play him at strongside linebacker and I think that he will be a serious liability in coverage. THE TYPE THAT TOM BRADY EXPLOITS ALL DAY LONG. He is a 4-3 end.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013   #48
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
To me it's pretty simple. We need a NT who can shoot a gap and also command a double team. Montori Hughes would have been a great option but we opted for a guy, Sam Montgomery, who IMO do not fit our system. We want to play him at strongside linebacker and I think that he will be a serious liability in coverage. THE TYPE THAT TOM BRADY EXPLOITS ALL DAY LONG. He is a 4-3 end.
So you'd have been happy if we wasted our 3rd round pick on a guy drafted in the 5th round? Can you say reach?

Chris Jones was drafted instead of Montori Hughes and you get a guy that doesn't have the character questions that Montori Hughes has.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013   #49
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't get the Montori Hughes love...

I mean...Maybe he develops into a nice player, but he's not all that impressive on film. He's just big.

Jones actually looks impressive on film.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013   #50
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
At least McClain was the #65 pick of the Panthers
Amobi Okoye was the 10th pick of the draft...

Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013   #51
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Amobi Okoye was the 10th pick of the draft...

Hey, I'm looking at McClain as a back-up, which is the norm for a third-rounder.
On top of that McClain is cheap.
He only costs 555K, less than Jared Crick or any fourth rounder we sign this year.
He's like $220K cheaper than Jamison.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013   #52
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hey, I'm looking at McClain as a back-up, which is the norm for a third-rounder.
On top of that McClain is cheap.
He only costs 555K, less than Jared Crick or any fourth rounder we sign this year.
He's like $220K cheaper than Jamison.
Yeah I was just taking a cheap shot at Okoye. You think the Texans will carry 3 D tackles?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013   #53
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Yeah I was just taking a cheap shot at Okoye. You think the Texans will carry 3 D tackles?
The line is kinda of blurry with Wade on how he uses the interior guy.
All I know is I think I agree with those who say we will carry at least 6 interior D-linemen, with at least one on the PS.
Old 05-01-2013   #54
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Any news on Tim Jamison's ACL?
I don't think I've heard a blip on that end.
Old 05-01-2013   #55
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Any news on Tim Jamison's ACL?
I don't think I've heard a blip on that end.
I wish it WERE an ACL. It was an Achilles though. No word I've seen. But I would be skeptical as to how much production he would show before the latter part of the season.........and would have to worry about the level of production beyond that. I don't remember reports of him undergoing surgery for it. I hope that they did not opt for nonoperative rehab.....the re-rupture rate and rate of successful recovery is not acceptable
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013   #56
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 166359 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I wish it WERE an ACL. It was an Achilles though. No word I've seen. But I would be skeptical as to how much production he would show before the latter part of the season.........and would have to worry about the level of production beyond that. I don't remember reports of him undergoing surgery for it. I hope that they did not opt for nonoperative rehab.....the re-rupture rate and rate of successful recovery is not acceptable
Soooo... are you saying it's time to
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013   #57
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Soooo... are you saying it's time to
Panic may not be the term I'd use. But I would be looking at ANY significant contribution to this season to be somewhat of a pleasant surprise, unless he suffered a very "minor" tear. Although this would not make sense since he was placed on IR as soon as mid October of last season.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013   #58
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
So you'd have been happy if we wasted our 3rd round pick on a guy drafted in the 5th round? Can you say reach?

Chris Jones was drafted instead of Montori Hughes and you get a guy that doesn't have the character questions that Montori Hughes has.
I would have drafted both Jones and Hughes and put Jones on the practice squad until Antonio Smith is not with the team. I think Smith will be a cap casualty in a year or two. Hughes has character concerns but at least he is not a lazy guy who does not put in the time in the weight room and gets called out buy the coaches. Montgomery was on a list put up by LSU coaches saying that the listed players regularly miss workouts, always have an excuse, and only care about themselves. On top of that he is a 4-3 END, NOT A STRONGSIDE LINEBACKER. He will not be able to hold up in coverage. Tom Brady and his tight ends would exploit him to no end. Here is a scouting report from nfl.com so you can see what Hughes brings to the table. He would not have been a reach in the 3rd round IMO. Montori Hughes and is more talented than Jones and Hughes has the potential to command a double team, something that any team needs.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profil...hes?id=2539944
Old 05-02-2013   #59
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I don't get the Montori Hughes love...

I mean...Maybe he develops into a nice player, but he's not all that impressive on film. He's just big.

Jones actually looks impressive on film.
He is quick of the snap for a guy who weighs 330. Not as quick as Sylvester Williams but quick for a NT. I think he would have a good compliment to Mitchell. He would have also rarely been double teamed due to teams focusing on Watt. He is huge and can shoot a gap. I think he would have helped us in the run game. He was getting double teamed a lot in the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYYZmz-TADc
Old 05-03-2013   #60
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
I would have drafted both Jones and Hughes and put Jones on the practice squad until Antonio Smith is not with the team. I think Smith will be a cap casualty in a year or two. Hughes has character concerns but at least he is not a lazy guy who does not put in the time in the weight room and gets called out buy the coaches. Montgomery was on a list put up by LSU coaches saying that the listed players regularly miss workouts, always have an excuse, and only care about themselves.
He missed 1 workout. ONE.

Quote:
On top of that he is a 4-3 END, NOT A STRONGSIDE LINEBACKER. He will not be able to hold up in coverage. Tom Brady and his tight ends would exploit him to no end.
He won't be asked to hold up in coverage. You think you know how to use Montgomery better than Wade and Herring do? Really? His job is to jam the hell out of the TE, to read run or pass and then stuff the run or get after the QB. He might be asked to play some zone but coverage is not his purpose.

Quote:
Here is a scouting report from nfl.com so you can see what Hughes brings to the table. He would not have been a reach in the 3rd round IMO. Montori Hughes and is more talented than Jones and Hughes has the potential to command a double team, something that any team needs.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profil...hes?id=2539944
Montori Hughes started off at the University of Tennessee and was suspended multiple times and ultimately dismissed.

Link

And something from your own link:
Quote:
He needed a prep school detour for academic issues, which dogged him during his time in Tennessee as well before his dismissal from that program. Teams will need to see him prove his work ethic...
Montori Hughes is a lazier and much less athletic version of Travis Johnson. He's got danger flags all over him.

Sam Montgomery is a high motor player. The games he "took off" were games where LSU won by more than 30 points. He played his best in the higher pressure games.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read