Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-01-2013   #221
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200878 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 1st Round- DeAndre Hopkins WR Texans

There's a couple of different ways they could go about this. BUT. I expect Hopkins to become the #2.

Schaub and Kubiak have said over and over again that the way this offense works (when it's working right), is that everyone runs their routes and the defense determines who gets the ball. I think that's true, to a point. I think that Schaub sometimes forced the ball into AJ even when the defense dictated he go somewhere else simply because he trusted AJ to make a play and he didn't expect that same play out of other guys.

I expect Hopkins to get pushed into the #2 almost immediately. If he learns the playbook and if he shows that he's got good hands, I expect him to get almost as many targets as KW got last year. He might not get as many until he builds up some trust, but I expect him to get a helluva lot more than Posey or Martin got last year.

I think the plan was for Posey to move into that role this year but with his injury, I expect him to get pupped. I don't expect him to be a real "target hog" this year. If Martin steps up and starts catching the ball better, then he'll get more targets as well.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013   #222
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

76 I'm not sure where you're coming from on this one. I'm throwing all stats aside here, and just looking at facts alone. Right now Hopkins is our 2nd best receiver on our team. He will be on the field if healthy the majority of the time and will get a ton of targets because he fits this system perfectly.

I don't want to base my expectations of him on strictly numbers because I think his impact is going to be bigger than that. I think he'll force Martin and Jean to step their game up. If they're true competitors then it wouldn't surprise me to see them make a big leap because they see a guy being drafted in the 1st because they're not getting it done. That said, I still don't think they'll beat Hopkins out as our WR2. He'll get plenty of opportunities to make a big impact especially considering Andre won't be able to play every down. We need to rest him probably even more than last year because he'll be a year older.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013   #223
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47761 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

this will all seem so academic in a few years when Andre is enjoying retirement while DeAndre is the Texans feature WR

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013   #224
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't understand comparing him to Martin, Jean and Walter.

We spent a first round pick on this guy. This is the highest kubiak and smith have ever drafted a WR.

The expectations of how he'll be used in this offense shouldn't be based on what all these lower end pieces have done.

It'd be like drafting eifert this year and saying he'd take Garret grahms production. Football isn't played on a pie chart. There isn't some set number if targets alloted to each position group.

All things considered, I wouldn't be worried about Hopkins having to find targets...LeStar Jean, posey, Keshawn Martin...those are the guys who's numbers might go down because you've inserted a much more talented player ahead of them.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013   #225
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44649 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

I expect Hopkins to be open more often than the Walter, Jean, Martin, etc...
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013   #226
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I expect him to go for 189 - 1952 yds - 21 TDs
Old 05-01-2013   #227
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 76577 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Here are the numbers from last year:

AJ 112-1598-4
KW 41-518-2
KM 10-85-1
Posey and Jean with 6 each.

Posey only saw action in the last 4 games; he might see the field for 8 games this year (let's assume that for a moment).
As a second year player, he should see more targets.
KMart should also see more targets, supposedly.
So should Jean.
Graham may see more targets as well.

So how many of the 41 passes that went to KW might go to those players?
How many will be left for Hopkins if the Texans continue to give AJ his normal percentage of targets?
Man, I don't see how you can rationalize so blatantly with a statement like that. None of those guys were 1st round picks and it makes a difference if you want to accept it as fact or not. Hopkins has been touted as the most "pro ready" receiver in the draft by the heads and our GM and HC as well. If you think he's going to see less targets than all these guys you have listed ahead of him then I'm just SMH.

I think that stance is some pretty weak sauces.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013   #228
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200878 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I expect him to go for 189 - 1952 yds - 21 TDs
In the first game.
Old 05-01-2013   #229
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
In the first game.
Nah, he's just a rookie. That's at our bye
Old 05-01-2013   #230
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Nah, he's just a rookie. That's at our bye
I find your lack of faith disturbing.
Old 05-01-2013   #231
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 172895 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I've got no doubt he'll start at WR2. Doesn't mean he'll get all the snaps. Kubiak has trust issues. Schaub has trust issues. & apparently it's pretty easy to get into Kube's doghouse.

Andre Davis should have started over Walter, didn't... & didn't get anywhere near 41 catches.

Honestly, I'd be happy if he can get 32 catches or so at 15+ a piece & 10 TDs. Solid, & promising.
Happy? Hell, we'd all be orgas.. ummm... I mean, very delighted with those numbers.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013   #232
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 172895 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I find your lack of faith disturbing.
What have I told you about neglecting the visuals when using Star Wars quotes...??

ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013   #233
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 125714 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I enjoyed reading this:

In a show of leadership, Schaub texted Hopkins after he was drafted on Thursday night around 10 p.m. CT.

“It’s very important (to do) for all the picks, but especially an early pick and being an offensive guy and someone that we’re going to be joined here for a while between me, him and ‘Dre (Andre Johnson) and Arian (Foster),” Schaub said. “So I just wanted to welcome him and let him know that there’s a lot of work ahead.”

Schaub said he was lying around at home after he texted Hopkins. He didn’t expect to get a call back at such a late hour amid the chaos Hopkins was dealing after being selected.

“The type of kid that he is, he called me back about five minutes later and we talked for about 10 minutes,” Schaub said. “Just shows his character and what he’s all about.”

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dahHV?u...houston-texans
Old 05-01-2013   #234
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Stan View Post
I expect Hopkins to be open more often than the Walter, Jean, Martin, etc...
Matt needs to believe that Hopkins will be open. Then he has to believe the ball will be caught. At the very least, he has to believe Hopkins will prevent the ball from going to the other team (hence why Schaub will put the ball right on OD or KDub, but put the ball where only LeStar or Jacoby can get it if they make a play).

& that's only if Hopkins can get on the field. He's got to grasp & understand the play book. He has to be a willful blocker, & heaven forbid he yawns at a team meeting & get stuffed in the dog house, or shows up late at a meeting & the team plane leaves him.

Remember, the talented Mr. Foster couldn't beat Chris Brown for a roster spot. Sure Foster was undrafted, but he was still more talented than Brown. Surely he grasped the play book as well as Brown. Surely he understood the play book. Surely he protected the ball as much as "don't throw it if it's not there on the half-back pass" Brown.
Old 05-01-2013   #235
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Remember, the talented Mr. Foster couldn't beat Chris Brown for a roster spot. Sure Foster was undrafted, but he was still more talented than Brown. Surely he grasped the play book as well as Brown. Surely he understood the play book. Surely he protected the ball as much as "don't throw it if it's not there on the half-back pass" Brown.
I'm with you up until this tirade.

Arian himself has said he had a bad work ethic and a bad attitude when he came to the Texans. Do I think he grasped the play book as well as Chris Brown? No, I don't. I don't think Arian was applying himself. I don't think he was studying hard. I think he had given up and was planning on hitting it hard the next year. He's pretty much said as much. He didn't know that a practice squad player could be moved up to the main squad until he was watching MNF and they mentioned some PS player getting a chance.

At that point, Arian started applying himself. And when he started showing signs of "getting it" in practice, he started getting time on the field.

Up until that point, he was not ready to play. Doesn't matter how talented he was, he was not ready to play.
Old 05-02-2013   #236
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47761 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm good, really good with the Hopkins kid. But you know me I just wanted to do some comparisons with other top WR performances from the combine just to get a sense of their respective measureable.

Hopkins 6010 214, ran a 4.46 33 3/8" arms 10" hands & 36" vertical.
Hunter 6040 197, ran 4.37 33 1/4" arms 9 3/8" hands & 39.5 vertical.
Dez Bryant 6014 224, ran 4.52 34" arms 9 3/4" hands & 38" vertical.
AJ Green, 6035 211, ran 4.50 34 3/8" arms 9 1/4" hands & 34.5" vertical.
Julio Jones, 6026 220, ran 4.39 33 3/4" arms 9 3/4" arms & 38.5 vertical.

Those are first round grade measureables for WR position. Gotta feel good about DeAndre fitting right in here. Nailing WR position is as hard as it gets. Adding Texans Worthy factor even harder which says a lot about what this staff thinks about him.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013   #237
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 37603 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
... I just wanted to do some comparisons with other top WR performances from the combine just to get a sense of their respective measureable.
Thanks for listing those, makes feel even better about this pick.
Old 05-02-2013   #238
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post

Hopkins 6010 214, ran a 4.46 33 3/8" arms 10" hands & 36" vertical.
Hunter 6040 197, ran 4.37 33 1/4" arms 9 3/8" hands & 39.5 vertical.
Dez Bryant 6014 224, ran 4.52 34" arms 9 3/4" hands & 38" vertical.
AJ Green, 6035 211, ran 4.50 34 3/8" arms 9 1/4" hands & 34.5" vertical.
Julio Jones, 6026 220, ran 4.39 33 3/4" arms 9 3/4" arms & 38.5 vertical.
NFL.com has Hopkins running a 4.57 and Hunter a 4.44. Not that I think it matters, but if you're going to make comparisons, they should at least be accurate.
Old 05-02-2013   #239
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 237890 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
NFL.com has Hopkins running a 4.57 and Hunter a 4.44. Not that I think it matters, but if you're going to make comparisons, they should at least be accurate.
Hopkins ran 4.41 & 4.46 at his Pro Day according to ESPN: http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/sto...sh-441-seconds
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013   #240
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Hopkins ran 4.41 & 4.46 at his Pro Day according to ESPN: http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/sto...sh-441-seconds
OK, but that's not an apples-to-apples comparison to the other WRs whose numbers are from the combine. Which is why comparing these numbers is pretty much fruitless.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read