Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-13-2013   #21
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66182 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2013 players to watch for Texans '14 draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Another program with great depth at receiver is Florida St.
I'm looking for Kelvin Benjamin to have a great year.
Another big tall and fast Underclassman (Rs Sophomore) that might declare early.
Just the sight of him coming at you can break down a lot of DBs.
Benjamin would have to have a monster year to come out, which is doubtful. We rotate our receivers pretty heavily and it's difficult for one guy to have a huge season in this offense. However, Benjamin looked pretty dominant in the spring game today. Look out for Kenny Shaw though. He isn't the biggest or fastest guy but is awfully quick and a nice route runner. He's a 6' 170 pound senior who projects to slot receiver.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013   #22
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81710 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Benjamin would have to have a monster year to come out, which is doubtful. We rotate our receivers pretty heavily and it's difficult for one guy to have a huge season in this offense. However, Benjamin looked pretty dominant in the spring game today. Look out for Kenny Shaw though. He isn't the biggest or fastest guy but is awfully quick and a nice route runner. He's a 6' 170 pound senior who projects to slot receiver.
That pipeline is still flowing. I would think Rashad Greene to be the go to guy when the new QB needs a target.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013   #23
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
About this time of year, I try to identify positions and players to watch in the next college season that Houston could be interested in for the following draft. I feel comfortable that regardless of the round in this month's draft a WR, OLB, ILB and RT will be selected. I wished I could be as certain about the Nose but until this one is over who knows? Following are players I will focus on and where I have them rated. Of course our draft will probably change focus.

1. OG/OT Cyril Richardson 6'5" 335 Baylor pure LG that would allow Kubiak to allow Brooks to remain at RG where I have him starting in 2013. Richardson blocked for RG3 in 2011 as LT before moving to LG 2012. If Ben Jones can move to center, we should have a young dominating line lead by D. Brown.

2. OLB Morgan Breslin 6'2" 250 USC I mocked him for '13 before he returned. In 2012 he had 12 sacks. He might be a first rounder. 2014 is Reeds last year and he needs a great '13 to come back.

3. QB David Fales 6'3" 220 San Jose St. 4,196 yards 4,193 yds 9.3 avg 33 TDs 9 INTs but 26 sacks; behind our Oline he should remain on his feet. Decent arm but can get stronger. New coach could disprove claim he is system QB. Excellent review: http://www.pigskinheaven.com/content...as-David-Fales

4. ILB Andrew Jackson 6'2" 262 Western Kentucky tackling machine who returned to have his rank improve. Poor decision. Tackling machine.

5. RT Rob Crisp 6'7" 312 NC State has allowed only 1 sack in 2011 and 12. May be way undervalued here.
I like this Fales guy!
Old 04-19-2013   #24
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I like this Fales guy!
Shh! Hope he drops to us in second. I hope to find games to watch this season.
Old 04-27-2013   #25
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
About this time of year, I try to identify positions and players to watch in the next college season that Houston could be interested in for the following draft. I feel comfortable that regardless of the round in this month's draft a WR, OLB, ILB and RT will be selected. I wished I could be as certain about the Nose but until this one is over who knows? Following are players I will focus on and where I have them rated. Of course our draft will probably change focus.

1. OG/OT Cyril Richardson 6'5" 335 Baylor pure LG that would allow Kubiak to allow Brooks to remain at RG where I have him starting in 2013. Richardson blocked for RG3 in 2011 as LT before moving to LG 2012. If Ben Jones can move to center, we should have a young dominating line lead by D. Brown.

2. OLB Morgan Breslin 6'2" 250 USC I mocked him for '13 before he returned. In 2012 he had 12 sacks. He might be a first rounder. 2014 is Reeds last year and he needs a great '13 to come back.

3. QB David Fales 6'3" 220 San Jose St. 4,193 yds 9.3 avg 33 TDs 9 INTs but 26 sacks; behind our Oline he should remain on his feet. Decent arm but can get stronger. New coach could disprove claim he is system QB. Excellent review: http://www.pigskinheaven.com/content...as-David-Fales

4. ILB Andrew Jackson 6'2" 262 Western Kentucky tackling machine who returned to have his rank improve. Poor decision. Tackling machine.

5. RT Rob Crisp 6'7" 312 NC State has allowed only 1 sack in 2011 and 12. May be way undervalued here.
2013 draft over and our picks do effect my thoughts. We did get my guy Brennan Williams so that moves OT off my '14 mock. Also David Quissenberry could eventually resolve OG for me. He blocked for my QB David Fales who had monster 2012 and he did so at the LT so with a year in Texans strength program, should replace Cody White.

New mock:

1. NT Louis Nix Notre Dame

2. ILB Andrew Jackson Western Kentucky may go later but not taking chance after not drafting one in 2013.

3 QB Fales San Jose St but if another year like 2012, may have to move him up.

I will continue to evaluate WRs because I'm not convinced Jean, Martin or Bonner will be 2014 and we may still need a replacement for AJ eventually. If Posey or Hopkins can prove to be WR 1 material during this season, I'd still probably select WR later rounds to go with these three.

OLB/DE will also be on my radar. Trevardo could be a hit (pun intended) but not 100% sold on Montgomery or Mercilus for that matter. Brooks Reed needs to have a real good year at either OLB or ILB or I cut him after '13.

CB we need to have someone step up this season either Harris or Carmichael so I will evaluate this position also.

Your thoughts or suggestions?
Old 04-28-2013   #26
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

3. QB David Fales 6'3" 220 San Jose St. 4,196 yards 4,193 yds 9.3 avg 33 TDs 9 INTs but 26 sacks; behind our Oline he should remain on his feet. Decent arm but can get stronger. New coach could disprove claim he is system QB. Excellent review: http://www.pigskinheaven.com/content...as-David-Fales

Would Richardson or Nix be available at 32nd pick in the 1st rd?
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #27
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
2013 draft over and our picks do effect my thoughts. We did get my guy Brennan Williams so that moves OT off my '14 mock. Also David Quissenberry could eventually resolve OG for me. He blocked for my QB David Fales who had monster 2012 and he did so at the LT so with a year in Texans strength program, should replace Cody White.

New mock:

1. NT Louis Nix Notre Dame

2. ILB Andrew Jackson Western Kentucky may go later but not taking chance after not drafting one in 2013.

3 QB Fales San Jose St but if another year like 2012, may have to move him up.

I will continue to evaluate WRs because I'm not convinced Jean, Martin or Bonner will be 2014 and we may still need a replacement for AJ eventually. If Posey or Hopkins can prove to be WR 1 material during this season, I'd still probably select WR later rounds to go with these three.

OLB/DE will also be on my radar. Trevardo could be a hit (pun intended) but not 100% sold on Montgomery or Mercilus for that matter. Brooks Reed needs to have a real good year at either OLB or ILB or I cut him after '13.

CB we need to have someone step up this season either Harris or Carmichael so I will evaluate this position also.

Your thoughts or suggestions?
Nix is my number one also.
Old 04-30-2013   #28
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44358 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

How funny would it be if we drafted Derek Carr as Schaub's replacement?

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #29
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217185 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
:|

Not laughing.

Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #30
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44358 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

Not laughing.

Not even a little?

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #31
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217185 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not even a little?
No.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013   #32
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

Not laughing.

Hey, he put up better numbers as a junior than his big brother. Just saying.
Old 05-05-2013   #33
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
HWWNBM broke a record in the NFL .... for getting sacked

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013   #34
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 150814 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
HWWNBM broke a record in the NFL .... for getting sacked
I'm thinking Derek is the B side of HWWNBM . We don't need another pretty boy who was breast fed until he was 6 .
Old 05-05-2013   #35
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I'm thinking Derek is the B side of HWWNBM .
I'm thinking he shouldn't be judged for the "sins" of his brother. Derek's pros and cons should be based on his own merits or lack thereof.
Old 05-05-2013   #36
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66182 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm thinking he shouldn't be judged for the "sins" of his brother. Derek's pros and cons should be based on his own merits or lack thereof.
I've seen him play only one time. He looked alot like his brother to me, but it may just have been a bad game for him. I think it was their bowl game.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013   #37
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I've seen him play only one time. He looked alot like his brother to me, but it may just have been a bad game for him. I think it was their bowl game.
I saw him in 2 games where his team was overmatched (Oregon & Boise State). Cons are that he has some of the same sidearm delivery issues his older brother had. And is more careless with the ball. On the pro side, Derek keeps his eyes downfield longer and has much better touch. He throws some of the better lob passes in college football. Not the caliber of prospect his brother was out of college, Derek is not going to be a top 10 pick. But, the Texans aren't likely to be selecting in the top 10, either. If he improves on his ball security, Carr will probably go in the 2nd-3rd round area along with McCarron and Murray. And he's a better athlete than either of them.
Old 05-05-2013   #38
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 150814 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I saw him in 2 games where his team was overmatched (Oregon & Boise State). Cons are that he has some of the same sidearm delivery issues his older brother had. And is more careless with the ball. On the pro side, Derek keeps his eyes downfield longer and has much better touch. He throws some of the better lob passes in college football. Not the caliber of prospect his brother was out of college, Derek is not going to be a top 10 pick. But, the Texans aren't likely to be selecting in the top 10, either. If he improves on his ball security, Carr will probably go in the 2nd-3rd round area along with McCarron and Murray. And he's a better athlete than either of them.
I think he's been babied just like his brother . They were a highly naive bunch who thought they hung they moon . Shoot Derek , like his brother , is already married .
Old 05-05-2013   #39
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Shoot Derek , like his brother , is already married .
Are there any other data points that show marriage is bad for a QB?

The Mannings have thought they hung the moon. Of course they were right in thinking so. Basically, it still boils down to whether you can play or not.
Old 05-05-2013   #40
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong but David wasn't expected to be a 1st round pick after his junior year was he? - really pretty much blew up his senior season.

More specifically, what do you mean by more careless?

Does he see the middle of the field? - David sucked at that.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read