Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-30-2013   #101
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217185 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans UDFA Signings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Looking at him on film he looks like a utility guy. I could easily see him playing inside. Ja'gared Davis was a stand up rush LB at smu and I think he's going inside too. I like both of them as ilb prospects, but I like Davis a little more. I think Davis is going to make the team. He's a much better looking player than louiseau was last year. He and toggle both are IMO.
I was just looking at Davis and although he was mostly a rush LB, I could see him going inside. I think he needs to improve his strength, though. But it looks like he's got a good motor and he keeps working. He doesn't get swallowed up by tackles the way Tuggle seemed to.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #102
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
Eh, I wouldn't put too much stock in it. Like he said himself, he's more quick than fast. He also ran a 4.58 which was his fastest time so he's probably around the 4.5-4.6 range. I like his vision and lateral movement more than anything. He's small of course but not like he would be asked to handle the load.

Had a bit brush with the law so that along with the 4.8 at the combine and his size probably had him fall. I still remember watching him carve up that vaunted Notre Dame defense and Teo last year.
Let's not forget Graham also suffered an ACL injury in late October of 2011. It seems it takes a year or a little over a year for some to recover fully & it would've been roughly 15-16 months since he suffered his injury at the time of the combine. He does seem very elusive & quick, but his long speed does seem to be lacking some as he was caught from behind or some players made up some serious ground on him in pursuit. I still like his potential because he makes people miss & uses an array moves to do it & his catching ability seems to be pretty good as well.

I'm also interested to see what Cierre Wood has to offer. From what I have watched he also moves well & has some elusiveness. His long speed seems to be a better then Grahams's & his size is a plus as well. The knock on him from what I have read is his reluctance to pick up tough yards or move piles w/ his size, but Arian isn't exactly that type either & it seems their running styles are similar IMO.

I can't wait to see what these 2 have to offer. The other 2 that were signed were not all that impressive IMO. That could change come TC, as I'm sure they will all be attempting to do their best to keep their dreams alive.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #103
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Game review: Ohio St. vs. Michigan St. Spartans

Against the Spartans and the big RB Le'Veon Bell,
the Buckeyes loaded the box and leave their CBs mostly in one-one-one.
Bell was linmited to 47 yards on 17 carries.

This was a good game to review, especially with a wide and deep camera angle.
They even showed several end zone shots that make player evaluation easier and more accurate.

Howard was left on an island for most of the games,
playing either off-man or press man coverage.

He allowed one 3-yd catch playing off-man on first and ten, converging quickly.

He stayed well with, and ahead of the receiver on a post route
(a difficult one to defend one-on-one), resulting in an incompletion.

He reacted back and took down the RB Bell with a nice tackle that stopped Bell dead in his track.

On a side line route, Howard stayed disciplined against the double move,
reacted well and turned to run stride for stride with the receiver.
He then pinned the receiver to the sideline, in phase, securing he route, and forcing another incompletion.
("terrific coverage", in Brent Musburger's term
and "good coverage and good position by Herbie, the other commentator.)

On a quick short pass, Howard appeared to stop the receiver short of the first down on third and five, but the ref gave it to the Spartans.
The receiver never reached the first down marker.
(Howard was switching man; he was about to take on the inside receiver who went deep, but reacted back very well to help the slot defender on the outside receiver, nearly foiling the conversion.)

He gave up a 10-yd slant playing off-man, but made the tackle immediately.
(I think he was about to drop into a 3-deep zone when he realized that it was a quick slant and reacted back to make the play. The nickel was a little too far inside to drop back into the flat soon enough. The nickel - Orhian Johnson, was eying either the TE or the RB or both before making his drop.)

Howard was right there with the receiver on a couple more plays, forcing an incompletion on a quick slant and a dropped ball on a quick out.

In the second half, Howard continued to show well in run support.

They didn't target him but one time when the quick slant throw was low and away with zero chance for the receiver.
Howard was right there, ready to deliver the blow; even if the pass was on target, there was no guarantee that the receiver can hold on to the ball.

The QB looked Howard's direction three other times, but didn't go there.
The TV angle was good on one occasion where I can see that
Howard was step to step with the receiver.

O. Johnson made a couple of nice play disengaging from the slot to help thwart off 2 passes to the boundary receiver, showing good awareness, agility, as well as range.

On one play, he missed a tackle in pursuit (it wasn't his man), going in too high with the arm tackle.
This needs to be cleaned up.

He also played deep safety, breaking up a pass, and was generally in good position where he was supposed to be.

His run support continued to be solid.

The Mich. St. QB Maxwell was 22 of 42 for 269;
only a tiny portion of that production was against Howard and Johnson.

Zac Boren also continued his good plays.
He's definitely a very good college lead blocker.

The Spartans CB Johnny Adams played similarly to Brice McCain when he was at Utah, mostly in press man with some off-man coverage mixing in.

He looks physical, pound per pound, with the ability to mirror the receiver.
He can fight off his man (bigger and taller) to support the run very well.

He did give up a 12-yd catch in off-man (he was switching man similarly to Howard, so it was not a poor play or anything.)
He gave up another irrelevant catch short of the first down marker on third and long on a broken play in off-man coverage.
Not a problem there either.

He gave up a TD on a side line route; this time it was a problem.
He was looking back trying to locate the ball and it just zoomed past him into the hands of the receiver.
He was in trail position and could have broken up the pass if he had simply played through the receiver.
He needed to secure the route before trying to locate the ball.
It was a perfect pass; I must say, however.

Ohio St. attemtped just 22 passes; only those 3 went Adams' way.
He was in good position throughout the game, even on the TD.

All and all, these four guys are very interesting prospects.
I think I will come back to them later if I have the time.
Right now, I want to watch me some Alan Bonner.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #104
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217185 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

On 610, they just said something about a possible "surprise" UDFA signing.

Anybody know what they were talking about?
Old 04-30-2013   #105
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like Jake Plummer gave Kubiak the scoop on Colin Klein.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #106
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69514 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Looks like Jake Plummer gave Kubiak the scoop on Colin Klein.
Any idea if they see him as a legitimate QB prospect/did he elaborate any more on Klein?
NCTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #107
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTexan View Post
Any idea if they see him as a legitimate QB prospect/did he elaborate any more on Klein?
He's playing QB.

Case is the only QB on the roster that qualifies for the rookie camp stuff and Klein would be the extra arm. At this point in time I think they'll coach him up as a QB.
Old 04-30-2013   #108
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
He's playing QB.

Yates is the only QB on the roster that qualifies for the rookie camp stuff and Klein would be the extra arm. At this point in time I think they'll coach him up as a QB.
Not Yates, Case.
Old 04-30-2013   #109
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Not Yates, Case.
That's what I meant....Brain fail...
Old 04-30-2013   #110
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
That's what I meant....Brain fail...
I figured you were just typing too fast.
Old 04-30-2013   #111
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
On 610, they just said something about a possible "surprise" UDFA signing.

Anybody know what they were talking about?
Who hasn't signed, yet? Any big names?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #112
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Earl's lookin pretty good these days
Old 04-30-2013   #113
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I might have misheard it. They were using it as a teaser but then they didn't seem to come back to it.
Old 04-30-2013   #114
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I might have misheard it. They were using it as a teaser but then they didn't seem to come back to it.
Surprise Free Agent signing maybe?

It's hard to imagine an UDFA still out there that would merit that type of teaser...
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #115
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69514 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkAjVhrkxHE

Earl Okine, the DE from Florida, looks like he comes off blocks well to get the running back. I could see him making the team this year as one of the last guys, at least the practice squad I think.
NCTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #116
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34103 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He's playing QB.

Case is the only QB on the roster that qualifies for the rookie camp stuff and Klein would be the extra arm. At this point in time I think they'll coach him up as a QB.
Good to hear, I think he has real potential.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #117
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

PDS ‏@PatDStat 43s

Kicker, Jeremy Shelley from Alabama will be joining the #Texans a rookie minicamp.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #118
honored82
Veteran

Rep Power: 4151 honored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans’ nine draft picks, including first-round wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins, will participate in the mini-camp. So will their undrafted rookie free agents and an undisclosed group of tryout players invited by the team.

Anybody knows who these players are ? Do we ever get to find out ? and does this happen every year? Don't remember from past history.
honored82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #119
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
PDS ‏@PatDStat 43s

Kicker, Jeremy Shelley from Alabama will be joining the #Texans a rookie minicamp.
There's your surprise UDFA signing, LOL!
Old 04-30-2013   #120
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by honored82 View Post
The Texans’ nine draft picks, including first-round wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins, will participate in the mini-camp. So will their undrafted rookie free agents and an undisclosed group of tryout players invited by the team.

Anybody knows who these players are ? Do we ever get to find out ? and does this happen every year? Don't remember from past history.
I believe it's the annual try-out teams organize mostly for local players.
Some might be from UCLA, or Rutgers NY, but they came from around here.
Their families may live in La Porte or Round Rock for example, and they attended HS in the surrounding areas.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read