Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-28-2013   #81
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans UDFA Signings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
To be fair the first year you can't pin on him. He was great his 2nd year and last year was ineffective and knicked up. Foster, despite his total yards, wasn't great either last year so some of that you have to put on the line. Tate will have to be much, MUCH, better this year though.
Keep in mind that the coaching staff wasn't all that enamored with Tate all year long. Kubiak kept stating his displeasure one way or another.

I'm a Tate fan myself so no hate coming from me. Just noting some buggy observations from last year.
Old 04-28-2013   #82
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30851 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
Keep in mind that the coaching staff wasn't all that enamored with Tate all year long. Kubiak kept stating his displeasure one way or another.

I'm a Tate fan myself so no hate coming from me. Just noting some buggy observations from last year.
No doubt he had his issues last year. He got banged up in preseason and he never got back to where he needed to be. I think he also got frustrated by his lack of carries early on understandably. He needs to mature this year and the coaching staff needs to feed him more. It will benefit all parties in the long run including Arian and Matt Schaub. Fresh backs all game means Schaub isn't forced into those 3rd and long situations that he and Kubiak are terrible in.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #83
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Hopefully this signals a very competitive camp, where the best guy wins. No more waiting on guys to get healthy & stay healthy.... Tate & Sharpton. I like them, I'm rooting for them, but we missed being in the Super Bowl twice, because guys couldn't stay healthy & we weren't prepared. Garret Graham & Derek Newton get hurt & our run game to a wide left turn. Ben Tate was nowhere to be seen all season. Losing Cushing hurt, then losing Sharpton, Dobson, & James hurt. We even had issue at safety when Quin got hurt for a little bit.

I know it happens to every team, but some teams seam to be a little bit more prepared. Hernandez & Vareen filled in very well for Gronk & Woodhead down the stretch.

I hope we get some fresh young talent on this team, a deep practice squad, & a list of players to call as a matter of last resort.
I agree TK. The key is quality depth and trying out many UDFA prospects only increase our chance to find such player/s.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #84
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 58428 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Ray Graham would be very interesting in a ZBS. I've never seen lateral movement like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfHd112U2nY

Note the impossible cut during the play at 3:10.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #85
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30851 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Ray Graham would be very interesting in a ZBS. I've never seen lateral movement like that.

I'm with you and said the same thing when i first heard we signed him. He ran a 4.8 at the combine, but his measureables don't reflect his ability. He's had some injury problems at Pitt, but I'm curious to see what he can do. We're gonna have some incredible competitions through training camp on both sides of the ball, and this is one I'll be keeping a close eye on.

Edit: I noticed the play you were talking about, and this kid has special jump cut ability. You just don't see that everyday.
Old 04-29-2013   #86
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 218645 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I'm with you and said the same thing when i first heard we signed him. He ran a 4.8 at the combine, but his measureables don't reflect his ability. He's had some injury problems at Pitt, but I'm curious to see what he can do. We're gonna have some incredible competitions through training camp on both sides of the ball, and this is one I'll be keeping a close eye on.

Edit: I noticed the play you were talking about, and this kid has special jump cut ability. You just don't see that everyday.
He looks faster than 4.8 to me from that tape.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #87
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Yeah, it shocked me too when I looked it up. I just don't trust 40 times in cases like this. He and Dion Lewis went to Pitt at the same time, and I always thought Graham had more ability. Lewis is with the Eagles now, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if Graham became a coaching favorite early. His change of direction skill is better than all of the backs we signed which should help him quite a bit.
Old 04-29-2013   #88
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 81312 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post

Reminds me a lot of foster with his cuts and his ability to catch the ball. Could be a good pick up.
Old 04-29-2013   #89
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 25182 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Eh, I wouldn't put too much stock in it. Like he said himself, he's more quick than fast. He also ran a 4.58 which was his fastest time so he's probably around the 4.5-4.6 range. I like his vision and lateral movement more than anything. He's small of course but not like he would be asked to handle the load.

Had a bit brush with the law so that along with the 4.8 at the combine and his size probably had him fall. I still remember watching him carve up that vaunted Notre Dame defense and Teo last year.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #90
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Graham does look interesting, as do one or two of the other RBs. The last two backs we drafted highly are Slayton and Tate, neither of which has panned out. Our best backs seem to come from trades, free agent signings and UFDAs.

That was just an unskilled observation on my part. LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #91
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 53673 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think there is a clear message from Smith/Kubiak (bringing in 40 rookies) to a 12-4 team:

all marginal and/or overpaid veterans better impress the heck out of the coaching staff during training camp or be at great risk of being cut.

I think that 2010 meltdown was the best thing to happen to this organization, because I think it shifted the organizational power (or philosophy at least). My sense is that Rick Smith is in charge these days, and he does not have a problem making cold, calculating personnel decisions- something Kubiak (God bless him) is not good at.
Old 04-29-2013   #92
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
Eh, I wouldn't put too much stock in it. Like he said himself, he's more quick than fast. He also ran a 4.58 which was his fastest time so he's probably around the 4.5-4.6 range. I like his vision and lateral movement more than anything. He's small of course but not like he would be asked to handle the load.

Had a bit brush with the law so that along with the 4.8 at the combine and his size probably had him fall. I still remember watching him carve up that vaunted Notre Dame defense and Teo last year.
He was caught up by a Notre Dame player (whose name I didn't catch), in that clip; and then I noticed Zeke Motta also catching up. Motta ran a 4.75 at the combine so I don't think Graham has the long speed.
I used to like Motta when I watched him play until his performance at the combine.
Graham could be good in the short area, but he definitely looked lacking in the blocking department. I remember vaguely the Connecticut game (when I scouted Sio Moore) so I rewatched it briefly. Your QB is going to get killed in the NFL if you have Graham blocking. Being strictly a change of pace back might be a disadvantage to Graham. He does look pretty good, but you have to wonder if it's enough for him to make a roster. Personally, I doubt it.

I'm not sure whether he has problem with the ball or not, but I know he fumbled at least 3 times last year; and he had a fumble in the Shrine game, too.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #93
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not really understanding the Collin Klein signing. IMO, he doesn't have a lot for Kubiak to work with and mold. Plus, his signing gives us 5 QBs on the roster. I don't recall ever bringing that many to camp.

Unless he's decided to give another position a shot?
Old 04-29-2013   #94
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Just watched some clips of Ja'Gared Davis and I think he has a good shot to make the team. Tough player with excellent instincts. I don't know his 40 time and all that, but he moves well. he's 6'1" 235 ish. Based on his film he fits right in with this aggressive class we brought in. Solid wrap up tackler but brings some hmpf! to his hits. Plays with a lot of fire. Has a knack for making plays.

Was primarily used as a stand up edge rusher, but apparently he's projected as an ILB. He looks like James Harrison to me.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #95
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I'm not really understanding the Collin Klein signing. IMO, he doesn't have a lot for Kubiak to work with and mold. Plus, his signing gives us 5 QBs on the roster. I don't recall ever bringing that many to camp.

Unless he's decided to give another position a shot?
Honestly I'd leave him at QB.

Looking at his clips he actually attempts to read defenses and go through progressions. He will also at times scramble to make a throw vs scrambling to run.

He would be a good player to have on the practice squad because he can emulate some of these more mobile QB's like Wilson and Kaepernick that we'll have to play and the offenses they run. And I actually like the way he plays the game...He's more QB than Tebow, but I get the comparison...

If Kubiak can coach him up on his footwork and stuff, he could be a surprise at the QB position down the road. I think it's worth the gamble...You just never know...
Old 04-29-2013   #96
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

76, could you look through some of Florida's games focusing on Okine? I have a note (just one- "would make a nice developmental 3-4 DE... tools are there, but needs coaching"), but I would like to get your read on him.

Not just 76, actually. If anybody has film/notes, let me know what you think.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #97
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
76, could you look through some of Florida's games focusing on Okine? I have a note (just one- "would make a nice developmental 3-4 DE... tools are there, but needs coaching"), but I would like to get your read on him.

Not just 76, actually. If anybody has film/notes, let me know what you think.
I had that in mind; you know I would have gotten to it if I have the time.
Right now I'm on the Buckeyes guys, a nice trio of prospects that intrigue me every game I watch. Sometimes I hate spending too much time on one game, but the Spartans game also features J Adams. I watched it last night, but I need to go back today because Urban M rolled out a different defensive scheme, mostly man coverage. I was able to gauge Howard's ability quite a bit in the first half.

Obviously, I had to spend time watching the other 3 guys, too.
A pretty good glimpse overall.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #98
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I had that in mind; you know I would have gotten to it if I have the time.
Right now I'm on the Buckeyes guys, a nice trio of prospects that intrigue me every game I watch. Sometimes I hate spending too much time on one game, but the Spartans game also features J Adams. I watched it last night, but I need to go back today because Urban M rolled out a different defensive scheme, mostly man coverage. I was able to gauge Howard's ability quite a bit in the first half.

Obviously, I had to spend time watching the other 3 guys, too.
A pretty good glimpse overall.
As an OSU alum, I am pretty stoked we got the two DBs. I think both have a shot at the roster, but are more likely PS candidates. Boren I liked going into the season, but he did not have an impressive season in my opinion. With the recent FA acquisition at FB, I think Boren is little more than a camp body.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #99
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 218645 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Why are we listing Tuggle as an ILB? From what I've seen from his highlights so far, he's a Will. I could be really wrong about this but he doesn't look like he'd be good on the inside.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #100
Rey
Hall of Fame

Looking at him on film he looks like a utility guy. I could easily see him playing inside. Ja'gared Davis was a stand up rush LB at smu and I think he's going inside too. I like both of them as ilb prospects, but I like Davis a little more. I think Davis is going to make the team. He's a much better looking player than louiseau was last year. He and toggle both are IMO.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read