Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-26-2013   #161
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 1st Round- DeAndre Hopkins WR Texans

in a Houston airport:

Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #162
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 103999 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Was listening to a guy on local shreveport radio today and he said that Hopkins is the best offensive player the Texans have drafted since Arian Foster. I laughed a little and moved on.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #163
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 260379 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike02 View Post
Was listening to a guy on local shreveport radio today and he said that Hopkins is the best offensive player the Texans have drafted since Arian Foster. I laughed a little and moved on.

Mike
So he's the best offensive player the Texans have drafted since never. High praise, indeed.
Old 04-26-2013   #164
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Hopkins was actually far more productive Watkins in 2012.
Watkins got injured early in the 2012 season.

He had a stellar true freshman season in 2011. He looks poised for a dominant 2013 season and a #1 ranking fr his position, I would say.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #165
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 347973 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting:
  • Set state high school record for career interceptions, rated #14 cornerback in the nation by Scout.com
  • Went to Clemson as a CB and moved to WR due to team need
  • Played basketball for Clemson after the 2010-11 football season ended; was a member of Clemson’s NCAA Tournament team, but did not travel to the tourney
  • Became the second player in ACC history to total at least 50 receptions as both a freshman and sophomore
  • ACC-record 18 touchdowns in 2012, second in the nation
  • Had game-highs 13 receptions for 191 yards, and two touchdowns against #7 Louisiana State in the Chick-fil-A Bowl on Dec. 31
  • Turns 21 on June 6
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #166
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 35618 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Interesting:
  • Set state high school record for career interceptions, rated #14 cornerback in the nation by Scout.com
  • Went to Clemson as a CB and moved to WR due to team need
  • Played basketball for Clemson after the 2010-11 football season ended; was a member of Clemson’s NCAA Tournament team, but did not travel to the tourney
  • Became the second player in ACC history to total at least 50 receptions as both a freshman and sophomore
  • ACC-record 18 touchdowns in 2012, second in the nation
  • Had game-highs 13 receptions for 191 yards, and two touchdowns against #7 Louisiana State in the Chick-fil-A Bowl on Dec. 31
  • Turns 21 on June 6
Looks like someone's going to show up to practice hungover on June 7...
Old 04-28-2013   #167
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Watkins got injured early in the 2012 season.

He had a stellar true freshman season in 2011. He looks poised for a dominant 2013 season and a #1 ranking fr his position, I would say.
Actually, missed two game due to suspension at the being of the year and only one due to injury. he blantly regressed on the field and was no way a better football player than Hopkins in 2012.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/teams/ccl/stats
Old 04-28-2013   #168
Lucky

Rep Power: 180779 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
Not sure. There was some guy named Young who wore 10. All the Texans saw of him was the back of his jersey.
You don't see much of it anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanchris View Post
I know this will probably change now that Hopkins in the NFL and i don't want this to change anyones perception of him but i thought i'de pass this along. I go to a college in South Carolina and its pretty well known that both him and Sammy Watkins both smoke a lot. Not only that but a couple of my buddies say that their friends at Clemson happen to get weed from Hopkins. Like i said, hopefully he puts this behind him now that he's in NFL because he has all the physical attributes to be a great receiver.
Are we to believe 4th hand rumors over the extensive background checks an NFL team does on potential 1st round picks? I'm sure you trust your "information", but consider why others would not.
Old 04-28-2013   #169
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The Tigers used Watkins in multiple fashion (similar to how Patterson and Austin were used).

Hopkins, Hunter, and Bailey were strictly receivers on their respective team.

All six did well in their particular role.

Watkins, Patterson, and Austin were used in multiple fashion because they all are dynamic players who can make things happen with the ball in their hand.

Hopkins and Bailey are best route runners while Hunter is more explosive just like the tests at the combine showed.

Bailey is the smartest but Hopkins has the size and speed advantage over him.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #170
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Watt, Mitchell, Smith, Jamison, & Crick should be enough bodies. If there's an upgrade over any of them, I'm fine with that, but we don't need to carry six DLmen for our 3-4.
I think the minimum we carry is six.

If the guy from bowling green doesn't make the roster I'll be shocked. Not only do I think he has a great chance to make it, but I also think he can push for playing time this coming season.

But for d linemen you'd ideally want a back up for each spot since it's a position where guys can tire out fast. You want a lot of fresh bodies there. Plus guys tend to get injured down there.

O line guys cab go the whole game generally so you don't need a back up for every spot. Maybe 8 o line guys.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #171
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

So, what are our expectations of Mr Hopkins?

400 yards? 50 catches? 10 TDs?
Old 04-29-2013   #172
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So, what are our expectations of Mr Hopkins?

400 yards? 50 catches? 10 TDs?
In his first year, I'm hoping for 35-40 catches, 500-600 yards, and 5 TDs.

I'm not going to be surprised if he gets more, though.

I see him as Kevin Walter on Steroids. He's extremely sure handed. It's all going to come down to trust.

If he learns the offense and Schaub starts to trust that he's going to be where he's supposed to be AND that he's going to catch the ball, he could have an EPIC year because teams are still going to be rolling coverage toward Andre and daring the rookie to beat them.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #173
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 347973 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Questions are can/will Schaub look to his right more for DeAndre? Will Gary call his number? Are the Texans regrouping their run game adding to the FB position and an in line blocking TE?

I don't know about numbers, but the kid will fight at the point of attack and seems to put a lot of work in on his hands.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #174
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 143421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Questions are can/will Schaub look to his right more for DeAndre? Will Gary call his number? Are the Texans regrouping their run game adding to the FB position and an in line blocking TE?

I don't know about numbers, but the kid will fight at the point of attack and seems to put a lot of work in on his hands.
This is what bothered me most towards the end of the season. I don't have a clue why, but Schaub seemed to be forcing the ball to AJ way too often. It's like he didn't trust anyone but AJ. Hopkins is supposedly know for his ability to fight for the ball when it's thrown his way. I sure hope Schaub can spread the ball around like he used to do
Old 04-29-2013   #175
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Depends on the make-up of the team; whether they sign a vet and how Posey's rehab goes.
Old 04-29-2013   #176
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
This is what bothered me most towards the end of the season. I don't have a clue why, but Schaub seemed to be forcing the ball to AJ way too often. It's like he didn't trust anyone but AJ. Hopkins is supposedly know for his ability to fight for the ball when it's thrown his way. I sure hope Schaub can spread the ball around like he used to do
And I think that's what it's all about. I said this somewhere else, but it's about trust.

By the end of the season, I don't think Schaub trusted Martin because of how many times he'd put the ball in the boy's hands and had him drop it. I don't think he trusted KW because he wasn't getting separation and wasn't catching everything thrown to him like he had been a few years ago.

I'm hoping Hopkins learns his role and his routes and I hope he doesn't drop any balls because Schaub needs for him to get to his spot and catch the ball so that trust can start to build up.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #177
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 143421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
And I think that's what it's all about. I said this somewhere else, but it's about trust.

By the end of the season, I don't think Schaub trusted Martin because of how many times he'd put the ball in the boy's hands and had him drop it. I don't think he trusted KW because he wasn't getting separation and wasn't catching everything thrown to him like he had been a few years ago.

I'm hoping Hopkins learns his role and his routes and I hope he doesn't drop any balls because Schaub needs for him to get to his spot and catch the ball so that trust can start to build up.
Agreed! The dude's supposed to have great hands from what I've read. Hopefully he's able to get a grasp of the playbook quickly in order to produce right away. And, like you said, earn Schaub's trust.
Old 04-29-2013   #178
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 381485 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I think there may be a perception problem here:

Percentage of attempts AJ targeted:

2008 30.7%
2009 28.7%
2010 29.6%
2012 30.1%

I left off 2007 and 2011 because AJ missed substantial time.

That is a flat line the entire time AJ and Schaub have worked together.

I agree with TPN that trust is key to Hopkins' season but I wouldn't look for a lot of targets being pulled from AJ.

Not as a prediction but I looked at AJ's rookie numbers and it is incredible he got 976 yards with Carr at QB and a passing attack with a whopping 2600 yds.
Old 04-29-2013   #179
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

2008 30.7%
2009 28.7%
2010 29.6%
2012 30.1%

I see it the same way, kinda.

When I took into account the players available at different skill positions (WR, TE, FB, RB) and their experience in the system, I saw a very normal distribution (target-wise).
Old 04-29-2013   #180
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

2008 30.7%
2009 28.7%
2010 29.6%
2012 30.1%

I agree with TPN that trust is key to Hopkins' season but I wouldn't look for a lot of targets being pulled from AJ.

Not as a prediction but I looked at AJ's rookie numbers and it is incredible he got 976 yards with Carr at QB and a passing attack with a whopping 2600 yds.
Hmm, weird. I guess it just seemed like he forced it a lot more towards the end of the season. You'd think with all the coverage that gets rolled to wherever AJ lines up there'd be an open man somewhere. Hence the reason we drafted a WR in the 1st.

Don't mind me, I'm just babbling. Asking and answering my questions

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read