Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-29-2013   #41
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185617 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2013 Texans Draft Grades

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

I think more of a Bonner experiment at KR/PR/WR than I did the Trindon Holliday experiment. I just heard Mel HairGel say that the Texans got two steals on day three; Trevardo Williams and Alan Bonner.

This 3rd day move to get Bonner is no worse than the Trindon Holliday move/experiment. If you gave the Holliday move an F then I can see giving this and F. If not.....
I generally find myself defending Smith & Kubiak more often than not ... but I believe they left better talent on the board with this pick. Its no knock on Bonner really ... Hell , the other 32 teams passed on some of those same players again in the 7th round.

I hope Mel HairGel is right and Bonner makes us eat some crow.

Lots of people talking about moving Reed inside .... I wonder if Trevardo Williams might be a better fit inside than outside lining up over TE's ....

Mercilus better step it up this season ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #42
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

My rough initial reaction to the draft:

I have no qualms with either of the first two picks. Good players, nice tape, decent workout #'s, all of the hallmarks of decent picks are there. Both picks appear to be poised to get immediate reps right out of the gate.

Once we get to the pick of Brennan Williams, is where I'm not so sure. I probably would've preferred D. Bakhtiari if we had to pick an O-linemen, and I think I would've rather have had Alex Okafor over Sam Montgomery (Again, this is if we have to pick players who play relatively the same position). I really would've liked to have gotten Khaseem Greene with one of those picks. But, it's done, and with that said, these aren't what I view as really bad mistakes, they just went with players whom I didn't prefer.

Trevardo Williams seems like a very boom or bust player to me and I would not have minded to see Lattimore, or Denard Robinson there. I was sad when we traded out of the 5th and missed out on Ryan Swope by 2 picks, but that is the draft for you.
Old 04-29-2013   #43
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I generally find myself defending Smith & Kubiak more often than not ... but I believe they left better talent on the board with this pick. Its no knock on Bonner really ... Hell , the other 32 teams passed on some of those same players again in the 7th round.

I hope Mel HairGel is right and Bonner makes us eat some crow.

Lots of people talking about moving Reed inside .... I wonder if Trevardo Williams might be a better fit inside than outside lining up over TE's ....

Mercilus better step it up this season ....
I give this draft a solid B. Pretty much all of the players drafted are solid players, with limited ability to become star/superstar type players. Trevardo Williams is the exception to this, he's just starting to scratch the surface of his ability.

In this draft there were only 10-15 guys that have the ability to become star level players, so drafting solid players that fiil needs seems like a good strategy to me.

I really wanted the Texans to trade up and take Louteleiu when he started to fall. If that guys heart holds up he will become a star level NT/5tech like Ngata. IMHO

I really would've liked Rick to trade back up and pick Swope. He was worth the concussion risk any time after the 3rd rd. That guy may become like a better version of Austin Collie. Collie had concussion problems and the Colts got 2-3 good yrs out of him.

That's good value if you get 2-3 good yrs out of Swope vs taking a chance on a small school guy like Bonner. (I've never seen Bonner play.) My pick if I were going to make a risky pick in the 6th rd would've been Rodgers.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #44
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185617 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
My pick if I were going to make a risky pick in the 6th rd would've been Rodgers.
I still cant believe he went undrafted .... Just so much talent. Yes he failed drug tests and got into other trouble ..... but a 6th or 7th round pick isnt usually going to make a team , why not take a gamble on a superior talent with some issues over a guy who has little to no shot at latching on.

All 32 teams said nope , not worth the investment of a draft pick.

They drafted DummyBadger .... and many others with "character flaws".

I guess the fact that he kept making the same stupid mistake over and over sealed his fate.

It'll be interesting to see how he fares in Barfallo.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #45
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

May be one character flaw per draft is McNair's quota, LOL!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #46
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I love this draft class. The late round guys that I didn't know much about initially I was just like "ok, whatever"...

But after seeing a little film on those guys and reading up on them I'm ecstatic about this class.

Even Brennan Williams that I don't really like his pass pro. There are some other very good things about his game...Mainly his run blocking...I'm hoping they see him as a guard because I'd feel comfortable with him competing for a starting spot there this year, but I think if he's going to play tackle he'll struggle big time. But man...As a guard I think he could be a BEAST. His aggressiveness in the run game is beautiful.

Now Quessenberry I think could challenge for a starting RT position from day one. Dude is a technician with excellent balance in his pass pro.

Deandre Hopkins. Love him. The Two edge players we drafted are different from one another but I love the aspects they both bring.

And Swearinger is my guy.

Just from the little I've seen of Alan Bonner he looks like a smooth athlete with good mobility and good hands. Also has some return ability.

Chris Jones look like he could be a stud too. I'm also excited to see TE Ryan Griffin.

I think this could be a special draft class. The kind of class that gets this team to a superbowl.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #47
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

I loved our draft overall, but I'm not in love with the DJ Swearinger pick.

It seems to me we got out-foxed by Ravens when the snaked Arthur Brown ahead of us.

Swearinger to me looks like a headhunter coming into a league that is removing that type of player from the game through penalties, fines, and suspensions. The questions will be 1) can he adjust and 2) will he be playing at the same level of play?

Perhaps it won't be an issue. But if it is, will DJ Swearinger be 2nd round DJ Swearinger if you take away his aggressiveness? Do his other skills compensate?

I'm especially interested to see MAC Defensive Player of the Year NT Chris Jones. 19 tackles for a loss & 12.5 sacks playing between the tackles is impressive, I don't care where you're playing.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #48
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I spent about two hours on Bonner, and I think I like what I saw from all the clips; going through the game highlights of the team to sort him out is exhausting.

I think I might have a full game or two that I need to dig up.
Old 04-29-2013   #49
76Texan
Hall of Fame

And I have a ton of Bowling Green games that will occupy me for days, maybe a couple of weeks. Too bad, I know I don't have the game Jones played against Brandon Brooks.
Old 04-29-2013   #50
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

USA Today -- GRADE: A-
Quote:
Houston Texans: WR DeAndre Hopkins could finally be the guy to complement and, perhaps one day, replace Andre Johnson. Hard-hitting S D.J. Swearinger probably won't start right away, but it may be tough not to find a role for him. DE Sam Montgomery's talent exceeds third-round value if coordinator Wade Phillips can light a fire under him. OL Brennan Williams and David Quessenberry could vie for roles on the right side.
Old 04-29-2013   #51
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I still cant believe he went undrafted .... Just so much talent. Yes he failed drug tests and got into other trouble ..... but a 6th or 7th round pick isnt usually going to make a team , why not take a gamble on a superior talent with some issues over a guy who has little to no shot at latching on.

All 32 teams said nope , not worth the investment of a draft pick.

They drafted DummyBadger .... and many others with "character flaws".

I guess the fact that he kept making the same stupid mistake over and over sealed his fate.

It'll be interesting to see how he fares in Barfallo.
I have a basic issue with the attitude/judgement that comes with the part that I bolded.

How can you make the judgement that one guy (Rogers) has "superior talent" when you've never seen the other guy play?? Sounds like a name recognition judgement more than an A/B comparison. After all, most said at the time of the pick some flavor of... "who the _____ is Bonner?!"

And to say Bonner "has little to no shot at latching on" is a mite presumptuous isn't it? We obviously disagree on this but if I'm gambling with a late pick, I'd rather roll the dice on the talented underdog who KNOWS this may be his only shot and is willing to claw and scratch to make it count over the bozo who has all the natural talent in the world but has been nothing but screw up most everywhere he's been. Sounds like a VY type to me who won't "get it" until he's burned up all his 2nd chances.

Hell, they may both make it or neither may pan out. Time will tell. And WTH... it's only one of four 6th round picks. It's not like they bet the farm.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #52
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Texans' Podcasts

Good stuff, from the horses's mouves.

Last edited by thunderkyss; 04-29-2013 at 07:13 PM.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #53
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I have a basic issue with the attitude/judgement that comes with the part that I bolded.

How can you make the judgement that one guy (Rogers) has "superior talent" when you've never seen the other guy play?? Sounds like a name recognition judgement more than an A/B comparison. After all, most said at the time of the pick some flavor of... "who the _____ is Bonner?!"

And to say Bonner "has little to no shot at latching on" is a mite presumptuous isn't it? We obviously disagree on this but if I'm gambling with a late pick, I'd rather roll the dice on the talented underdog who KNOWS this may be his only shot and is willing to claw and scratch to make it count over the bozo who has all the natural talent in the world but has been nothing but screw up most everywhere he's been. Sounds like a VY type to me who won't "get it" until he's burned up all his 2nd chances.

Hell, they may both make it or neither may pan out. Time will tell. And WTH... it's only one of four 6th round picks. It's not like they bet the farm.
Yeah, a little of that goes on here. Noticed, did ya?

After everything I read about that POS it's little wonder why 32 teams passed EVERY TIME. I don't think the Texans are drafting only "choir boys" any longer but I do believe they're competent enough to stay away from proven trash which is where I would place this cat. I have watched enough of the way the FO operates to have just a smidgen of confidence in their decisions to field a team that I can scream for.

Maybe that's just me and few others.

msr

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013   #54
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Here is another angle, just a piece of the pie really but pretty cool if you think about it-

The Patriots WR's will probably be Aaron Dobson(R) Danny Amendola, Julian Edelman, Josh Boyce(R) Donald Jones, Matthew Slater.

The Texans WR's will probably be Andre Johnson, DeAndre Hopkins(R) DeVier Posey, Lestar Jean, Keshawn Martin, Jeff Maehl, Alan Bonner(R).

Each team could have two rookie WR's make respective roster, still Patriots lost Welker while Texans lost Walter, I think the tables have turned. This draft more than anything reset the playing field for the Texans @ WR position, no longer a weakness but a strength

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013   #55
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

1) DeAndre Hopkins -Grade A+++++

Love his youtube footage and ESPN sports science footage. Should start right away as WR2. The Texans knew what they were doing when they trashed his hotel room and then leaked the story to Schefter. Only reason he didn't get an A++++++ from me is that his nickname "Nuke" is because he wouldn't leave the house without his Nuk pacifier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke Hopkins

“I used to suck on those Nuk pacifiers when I was young,” he said. “I used to go through a lot of them and break them, so that is how I got the nickname. Now everybody calls me Nuke.”
2) DJ Swearinger - Grade Grade A+++++

Awesome footwork and rap skillz. What's not to like about JungleBoi?

3) NC OT Brennan Williams - Grade A+++ Will compete for starting spot since Newton won't be back til training camp. Has a mean streak which is great for OL. Same school as TJ Yates, so he has that going for him.

3) Supplemental LSU OLB Sam Montgomery. Grade A++++

Fell in draft because of his honesty not his game film. Kind of reminds me of the Ninja that way. Hell, he even has the same dopey Scooby Doo look to him!

Grade

4) UCONN OLB Trevardo Williams Grade A++++

Has some of the best measureables with the exception of height. F.A.S.T. The Texans were wary there might be a run on Jamaican Linebackers. Morlon Greenwood approves the pick...

6) San Jose State OT David Quessenberry, Grade A+++++
Impressive at the Senior Bowl A lot of Texans Talk Mock drafters would have reached for this guy in the 3rd or 4th round, so the Texans got good value moving up in the 6th.

6) Jacksonville State WR Alan Bonner, Grade A-

Sooo, your are wondering why I am so down on him to give him an A-... No Youtubes. I did find this Alan Bonner Ice Cream music video. God help us.

Kubes like him. Says the ground moves when he cuts.

6), Bowling Green NT Chris Jones Grade: A++++

Compares himself to JJ Watt. Big production numbers from a usually non productive position. Total Steal in the 6th.

6) UCONN TE Ryan Griffin, Grade: A+

Solid developmental TE in the mold of Dreessen and Graham. Outran Cincinnati's DB on this Touchdown!

Final Grade: A++++
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013   #56
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't realize until I heard a recent interview that Swearinger (Jungle Boi) and Montgomery were teammates in high school....And Hopkins went to a school about 30 or so miles away...

I think the Clemson coach said he recruited all three of them...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013   #57
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Señor, are you drunk already this morning? LOL!
Old 05-02-2013   #58
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Stan View Post
1) DeAndre Hopkins -Grade A+++++

2) DJ Swearinger - Grade Grade A+++++

3) NC OT Brennan Williams - Grade A+++

3) Supplemental LSU OLB Sam Montgomery. Grade A++++

4) UCONN OLB Trevardo Williams Grade A++++

6) San Jose State OT David Quessenberry, Grade A+++++

6) Jacksonville State WR Alan Bonner, Grade A-

6), Bowling Green NT Chris Jones Grade: A++++

6) UCONN TE Ryan Griffin, Grade: A+

Final Grade: A++++
Love it, SS!

Walter Football gave us an overall A,

although they were more circumspect in their individual pick grades: http://walterfootball.com/offseason2013hou.php
Old 05-02-2013   #59
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 254692 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Love it, SS!

Walter Football gave us an overall A,

although they were more circumspect in their individual pick grades: http://walterfootball.com/offseason2013hou.php
I just don't get where they say Sam Montgomery "flat out quit" at the end of the season.

In his last 5 games, he had 4 sacks and 14 tackles. The one game he didn't do much was the game before the Chik-Fil-A bowl against Arkansas where he only had 1 tackle and no sacks. He got at least 1 sack in each of his other last 5 games.

I think they're just taking his statements and the sign on the weight room out of context and then making an assertion without any real proof.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013   #60
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I'm especially interested to see MAC Defensive Player of the Year NT Chris Jones. 19 tackles for a loss & 12.5 sacks playing between the tackles is impressive, I don't care where you're playing.
I had never heard of this guy before Sunday. But from what I've seen since, Jones looks like a steal. Probably not a combine freak, which is a big reason why he lasted until the 6th round. But, I can see Jones coming in with the 2nd unit line (along with Jamison & Crick) and really raising havoc. I have a real good feeling about this guy.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read