Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-05-2013   #141
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brooks to move to ILB

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
Antonio Smith is identical in size to DJ, both are 6'4" and 280-285 range. Antonio doesn't seem to have issues holding up against the run so Im not sure why you think DJ would have issues. DJ put up 29 reps at the combine which is a solid number, doesn't seem to lack strength. I believe he had 19 TFL last season as well.

As I mentioned previously, I like this guy and would be happy if we drafted (I'd be even happier if we traded back to pick up an extra 3rd and were still able to grab him) BUT there are other guys I'd like to grab as well.

As for him not starting, I believe we grabbed Okoye based on potential and need and passed on Willis because we had drafted Ryans the previous year and didn't need an ILB. Im not trying to equate DJ with Willis, just that I believe we should go BPA unless we are chocked full of talent at a position (not a problem we have LOL)

The thing I like about DJ is his versatility. I think he could take over for AS next season while still contributing this coming season.

Truth be told though, even if we re-sign Barwin, I view OLB as a serious position of need for us. Our pass rush last year outside of Watt was not good. I think Mercilus will be a player, but if we move Reed inside (which I think is a great idea) we need to add players to the OLB rotation. If the Cushing injury showed us anything this year is that quality depth at primary positions is quite important.

A guy I'd seriously consider at 27 or with a trade back to the top of the 2nd is Jamie Collins. He's ultra explosive and very versatile (he's a former DB), being able to help inside as well as outside. His team was horrible last year otherwise he'd definitely be considered in the top 32 prospects, shoot he's heading that way now. i was hoping he'd be our 2nd round pick but I don't think he'll be there now.
^^^^
This

I really like Collins too, if Brandon Williams isn't there in the 2nd Collins would be a great pick. Collins=great talent/untapped potential.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #142
jukhan
Rookie

Now that Barwin is gone im guessing that Brooks stays at olb?
jukhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #143
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11687 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukhan View Post
I don't think we can afford to move him now. We need to draft back a OLB AND ILB in this draft.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #144
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282041 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Gotta look to sign an ILB? Any cheap talent out there?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #145
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 93054 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Gotta look to sign an ILB? Any cheap talent out there?
Dan Connor got released by the Cowboys
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #146
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukhan View Post
Depends if we add OLB in free agent or ILB in free agency or early in the draft. Either way, I bet we seem him in both places in preseason and regular season in certain packages.
Old 03-14-2013   #147
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Depends if we add OLB in free agent or ILB in free agency or early in the draft. Either way, I bet we seem him in both places in preseason and regular season in certain packages.
This is kinda what I'm thinking too. My guess is, if they sign Ed Reed, they probably won't have much $$$ left over to get a FA ILB or OLB, so that leaves the Draft. I think they will try to draft both ILB and OLB within the first 3 rounds with the priority being on ILB. If they can draft, say, Minter in the 1st or maybe even 2nd round, then I think Brooks Reed will play less at ILB and more at his OLB position. If Minter is gone, and they have to draft a ILB later, who may not be as good, then Brooks might play more at ILB. Of course this is predicated on how they view Sharpton and what they expect from him, if anything. If Sharpton plays a lot this season, by some miracle, they may never use B.Reed as ILB.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #148
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Per John McClain via Rotoworld:

Quote:
Brooks Reed is expected to stick at outside linebacker this season.
If the Texans had retained Connor Barwin, Reed would have kicked inside next to Brian Cushing. Now that Barwin is an Eagle, Reed is needed in a pass-rushing and edge-setting role. He's posted just 8.5 sacks through his first two NFL seasons, but has been a quality defender against the run.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #149
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Please don't draft Manti. Please. His stock is dropping and our need is rising. Please no. Please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #150
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Please don't draft Manti. Please. His stock is dropping and our need is rising. Please no. Please.
Not that I want him but what's so bad about him? Other than one bad game and something that has nothing to do with football?
Old 04-28-2013   #151
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Sound to me as if Reed is moving inside after all.

Quote:
"It does provide us with options to possibly move Brooks Reed inside,” Herring said. “Brooks Reed has played inside for us at times. We feel very comfortable with that move, if that is an option, to get our best 11 on the field.”

“That’s something I don’t want to get nailed down to, but right now I would feel extremely – and I know Wade feels the same way – extremely comfortable with moving Brooks Reed inside,” Herring said. “I’ve got highlight tape of him playing inside last year, and without hurting anybody’s feelings, he might be the second-best IL on campus right now.

“He’s got an IL body, he’s got instincts. He plays with his hair on fire. He can shock block. They tried to run lead plays on him, he sheds the guy in the hole and makes plays just like a great linebacker should. Unlimited possibilities there. I know he’s embraced the idea early on after the season. We discussed possible moves in the offseason that might predicate him having to be moved inside. He was excited about the move. He’s done it. He’s seen himself have success.”
Now I did hear Smith & Kubiak crawfishing on Reed moving inside on a podcast. My feeling is that they trying to be hush-hush to protect a future move to obtain a vet OLB. I can't see them going into 2013 with strictly a kiddie corps of OLBs consisting of Mercilus, Braman, Montgomery, and Williams.
Old 04-28-2013   #152
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

So what's Reed gonna do in nickels, sit on the bench ? Or maybe he joins the OLB/DE rotation in nickel/passing situations when Wade goes with just a single ILB (Cushing) ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #153
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope they bring in a vet also.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #154
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
So what's Reed gonna do in nickels, sit on the bench ? Or maybe he joins the OLB/DE rotation in nickel/passing situations when Wade goes with just a single ILB (Cushing) ?
I think that's exactly what happens. Reed and Mercilus outside and Watt on the inside. However, I just watched some of this bowl game with Chris Jones of Bowling Green, and this guy can penetrate. It wouldn't shock me if he found his way on the field on passing downs.
Old 04-28-2013   #155
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I think that's exactly what happens. Reed and Mercilus outside and Watt on the inside. However, I just watched some of this bowl game with Chris Jones of Bowling Green, and this guy can penetrate. It wouldn't shock me if he found his way on the field on passing downs.
Glad to hear that Jones looked good, he's an intriguing prospect. Get a chance to eyeball Quess in that same bowl game ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #156
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Glad to hear that Jones looked good, he's an intriguing prospect. Get a chance to eyeball Quess in that same bowl game ?
Yes, San Jose mainly passed, so I didn't see a lot of run blocking. From what I did see, they ran a zone blocking system. Jones moved around and matched up with Quessenberry some. Jones got by him on some penetrations. The guy is just slippery. Maybe he greases his jersey, I don't know. But, he's hard to block.
Old 04-28-2013   #157
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know about that. At ILB we have Cushing, Sharpton and Dobbins - all at least capable when healthy, and Cuhsing will be in on all Nickel situations.

At OLb we have Mercilus, Brahman and two rookies (3d and 4th round). So a second year player, a ST player and two middle round rookies. Right now I'd say our ILB rotation looks stronger than our OLB rotation. I am pretty sure, that Reed will start the season at OLB. Only if one of our rookies step up big time will he move inside (or if we have injuries).
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #158
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I think reed stays at Olb. And I think he and merci will get first dibs at the pass rush on third and long, but I think some of the guys we just got will take some snaps away from them.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #159
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I think reed stays at Olb. And I think he and merci will get first dibs at the pass rush on third and long, but I think some of the guys we just got will take some snaps away from them.
I just saw Smith and Kubiak on TV and they all but put to bed the notion that Reed will move inside.

Its an option but not likely at this point.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #160
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I just saw Smith and Kubiak on TV and they all but put to bed the notion that Reed will move inside.

Its an option but not likely at this point.
I don't know that Smith or Kubiak really have much of a say in the matter. They're buying the groceries but it's up to Wade (and Herring) to cook the dinner.

I'm not saying that Brooks is definitely going to move to ILB but I don't take what Smith and Kubiak said as absolute proof that he isn't.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read