Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: How do you grade our second 6th round pick?
A 3 11.11%
B 2 7.41%
C 8 29.63%
D 2 7.41%
F 12 44.44%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2013   #21
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Grades Round 6/2 Alan Bonner

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
This draft has been a real black eye for the internet scouts/draftniks. Look no farther than Rodgers and the slide of the QB's who were projected 1st 2nd rounders.
For sure. To be fair, however, I think those of us on the Mock Draft board have all been upfront with the fact that we are not scouts. I have never called myself an expert, or even particularly good at scouting. I just post my thoughts, and I think most are in the same boat.

I also agree with whomever posted that grades immediately following drafts are useless- they are, totally useless. Mental masturbation. However, it is fun to do.

You did give me an idea though- go through and grade the drafts of years' past. I think I may do that tonight or tomorrow. And compare them to my immediate grades, if I can find them. That might be fun.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #22
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
For sure. To be fair, however, I think those of us on the Mock Draft board have all been upfront with the fact that we are not scouts.
I was referring to the world of all punditry not our home grown group.
Old 04-27-2013   #23
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I was referring to the world of all punditry not our home grown group.
It was the dang librul media mockers .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #24
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariowillshine15 View Post
You don't know him so you give him an F? At least give him an incomplete.

It's a 6th rounder it's not that big of a deal. Probably a favorite of one of the scouts.
Actually after listening to the link Vinny posted he caught GK's eye at the combine. Said there wasn't a ball thrown that he couldn't/didn't catch. He was very impressed. Just an FYI.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #25
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

From Kiper back in February..

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/atlanta-f...al-kid-bonner/

Quote:
Then he went into discussing Bonner:
"Alan Bonner is a kid that I talked about him. Actually, I highlighted him on ESPN.com. Every Sunday during the course of the year, I do a sleeper type guy. A guy that certainly has a chance who might be a little off the radar that maybe has the chance to make a team and contribute. Bonner has that kind of ability out of Jacksonville State. I think he's the kind of kid you pick in the sixth or seventh round, depending on the workouts, maybe as high as the fifth. You bring him in and I think he makes the football team. I think he develops into a very good player.
"There have been a lot of guys off the radar at the wide receiver spot. I loved Danny Amendola coming out of Texas Tech. He went undrafted, but look at what he's done in the NFL with the Rams. You always can find guys like that. I had a third round grade on Miles Austin out of Monmouth and he went undrafted. Look at what he's done with the Cowboys. That happens all the time at wide receiver."
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #26
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Yep it's name recognition .

I think the trick is finding guys who have the mentality to adjust and develop .
This...quite sure nobody knew who the hell Tom Brady was and pretty sure there were plenty of guys that could have been taken instead of him...

BUT put in the right system and under the right coaching, meh that "no named" guy turned out ok...

There have been PLENTY of "Name Recognized" players that are out of the league or swallowed up by their own mediocrity with 2-3 years of being in the NFL and plenty of "No Named" guys that have become starters and even stars in this league...

I am curious what Bonner can do....

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #27
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

My thing is, how can you grade a pick that we know so little about?

It's not like this guy has a bunch of game film out there. I can't even compare him to who was still on the board because I don't have anything to base the comparison on.

Nothing wrong with just giving a "we'll see" grade here.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #28
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Rep Power: 2211 G27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
My thing is, how can you grade a pick that we know so little about?

It's not like this guy has a bunch of game film out there. I can't even compare him to who was still on the board because I don't have anything to base the comparison on.

Nothing wrong with just giving a "we'll see" grade here.
Yep. I have no problem waiting and seeing with this pick, especially given the draft position used on him.

Image courtesy of False Start
G27RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #29
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
This...quite sure nobody knew who the hell Tom Brady was and pretty sure there were plenty of guys that could have been taken instead of him...

BUT put in the right system and under the right coaching, meh that "no named" guy turned out ok...

There have been PLENTY of "Name Recognized" players that are out of the league or swallowed up by their own mediocrity with 2-3 years of being in the NFL and plenty of "No Named" guys that have become starters and even stars in this league...

I am curious what Bonner can do....
I agree with your message, but considering Brady played at Michigan a lot of people knew who he was.

To add to your point though I will say there was another no name guy last year who was drafted in the 6th round who went on to have a beastly rookie year. Alfred Morris ring a bell? Everyone needs to give this guy a shot (myself included). I unfairly was unhappy with the pick, but I've had 24 hours to think about it and it seems like the guy may have a shot.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #30
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I do have a problem saying this pick is an "F" just because I haven't heard of him. Before they were drafted I knew nothing about Glover Quin or Brice Mccain. They turned out to be good players in the NFL. Scouts spend way more time evaluating players than we do. They have researched Bonner, they have watched tape on Bonner, etc.. Labeling the pick an "F" because you haven't is silly.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #31
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Haven't seen any film on this guy. How fast is he? Does he run good routes? Is he a good KR/PR? Grade= incomplete.

I have watched Rodgers play and Bonner must be a heck of a player if he's better than Rodgers.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #32
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Haven't seen any film on this guy. How fast is he? Does he run good routes? Is he a good KR/PR? Grade= incomplete.

I have watched Rodgers play and Bonner must be a heck of a player if he's better than Rodgers.
You do realize no teams drafted Rogers right?
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #33
Lucky

Rep Power: 213963 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm giving the guy an A just because I think he's getting too much crap.

As far as griping about taking another WR over Da'Rick Rogers...the entire league passed on Da'Rick Rogers 254 times. Just like they passed on Dwight Jones last year. He has a chance to prove the league wrong. But he had a lot of chances in college, too. And the Texans would be last among the 32 teams in taking a chance on him.
Old 04-28-2013   #34
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

You might as well put the Rodgers stuff away. Basically the entire NFL said despite his play they didn't want him.

Bonner has timed from 4.41 to 4.5 something. He had good averages in both KR and PR. He seems to have a knack for getting TD's having 15 on about 860 yds of receiving last year. Supposedly very crisp route runner who can create separation with his breaks. Very good hands. He is short by today's standards but thick for his height. All of this coming from a lesser conference of course.
Old 04-28-2013   #35
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 35618 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

He's not the fastest guy in the world, but he's quick, and that's what you want from a slot receiver / PR kind of guy. I don't know much about him, and I would've much preferred Swopes from A&M or Josh Boyce from TCU, but I'd like to be surprised.
Old 04-28-2013   #36
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I agree with your message, but considering Brady played at Michigan a lot of people knew who he was.

To add to your point though I will say there was another no name guy last year who was drafted in the 6th round who went on to have a beastly rookie year. Alfred Morris ring a bell? Everyone needs to give this guy a shot (myself included). I unfairly was unhappy with the pick, but I've had 24 hours to think about it and it seems like the guy may have a shot.
Yeah much better analogy than Brady... Was a RB in the right system and look at him now, for at least one year.

I just can't give a grade to someone with trying to a bit of research on him and from what little I saw online and have read about, he could be a gem...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013   #37
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Grade A-

Here I went against the grain.
This is a sixth round pick so I found it hard to believe that he received such low grade.
Bonner looks like a pretty good or at least decent receiver for the fifth spot.
The Texans may stash on PS or IR him, whatever the case, but IMO, he looks like a guy who can contribute (not in any major fashion, but then again, what can we expect from a low sixth rounder?)

I actually like his upside.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read