Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-28-2013   #21
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2013 Texans Draft Grades

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Of the picks that matter, only one concerns me, and that's Montgomery. That could be an A pick or an F. If he busts specifically because of bad football character, then it's terrible pick. If he busts for any number of other reasons, then it's still a great pick. They got a lot of talent for where he was drafted. Did they do their homework on his character? We'll find out.

Overall: A

I agree! However, I gave them a B+, becuz of Montgomery, Alan Bonner, & T Will. Hopefully I'm wrong! Nice solid draft!
Old 04-28-2013   #22
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Everytime someone complains about a pick lately I always think about Duane Brown. Texans fans went nuts complaining about that selection and look how it turned out. I'd venture to say 50% of fans weren't happy with the Watt pick. I hate to say it but history tells us that most fans don't know what the hell we're talking about. I'd rather sit and wait even if I wasn't the hugest fan of one of the newer players we took.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #23
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 49664 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
The worst? Bonner is an F. And it's not because I've never heard of him. So what if he has good hands? He is from a tiny school, played against nobody, has below average measurables, etc. The reason I give it an F is even if he is better than I think in camp, he still has virtually no chance whatsoever of making the roster. Who could he possibly beat out?
LaStar Jean for one... I think the question should be who couldn't he beat out. Aside from AJ and Hopkins, who could Bonner not beat out on this WR squad?

Who gives a rats hairy nutsack where the kid came from or if anybody has ever heard of him, A: he is a 6th round pick and B: HE IS A 6TH ROUND PICK. If the kid can play, it will show. If he can't, who cares...

Texans are not going to suffer one way or the other...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #24
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209005 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Everytime someone complains about a pick lately I always think about Duane Brown. Texans fans went nuts complaining about that selection and look how it turned out. I'd venture to say 50% of fans weren't happy with the Watt pick. I hate to say it but history tells us that most fans don't know what the hell we're talking about. I'd rather sit and wait even if I wasn't the hugest fan of one of the newer players we took.
That's it, stick a pin in our balloon. LOL

You're right though. Also, training camp does have a way of sometimes changing rookies attitudes. We'll see. I think, overall, we had a good draft and a couple of those UFDAs look mighty interesting.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #25
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
LaStar Jean for one... I think the question should be who couldn't he beat out. Aside from AJ and Hopkins, who could Bonner not beat out on this WR squad?

Who gives a rats hairy nutsack where the kid came from or if anybody has ever heard of him, A: he is a 6th round pick and B: HE IS A 6TH ROUND PICK. If the kid can play, it will show. If he can't, who cares...

Texans are not going to suffer one way or the other...
Way i have it AJ, Hopkins, Martin, Posey though the time table might have him PUP'd to start the season, and Jean. Also will be going up against Jeff Maehl for a spot.For him to have a real shot honestly the team will be looking to to keep six and he better be able to return kicks or punts.

I don't think so much as where he played and how little we really know as is from what little we do at this point i just don't see nearly a high as ceiling as other prospects that were still available.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #26
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 19116 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

We did nothing to stop teams from lining up and running the ball on us, no solid DT/NT player, and no solid ILB pick, and given that Cushing is coming off another injury, I'm not so thrilled we didn't shore up the inside.

But then again it's a pass happy league now..

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #27
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

The Sporting News -- A-

Quote:
Houston Texans: They started with a bang to complement two future Hall of Famers, a wide receiver opposite Andre Johnson (Clemson's DeAndre Hopkins) and a hard-hitting strong safety to support Ed Reed (South Carolina's D.J. Swearinger). They also got an option to solidify right tackle (North Carolina's Brennan Williams) opposite Pro Bowler Duane Brown. With Connor Barwin gone, they had to restock their pass-rush quiver behind J.J. Watt, and Wade Phillips' coaching should boost what LSU's Sam Montgomery and Connecticut's Trevardo Williams can do as 3-4 outside linebackers.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #28
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Two comments about the grades/players: they used a higher pick (their 2nd rounder) on a safety than I would have preferred, and don't understand the "F" grade for the Jacksonville State guy because he was drafted to return kickoffs/punts and not as a WR and therefor I think it's an efficient use of a late round pick as it frees others like WR Martin and safety Manning to concentrate on their positions and not be distracted by ST play.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #29
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
So true...i was, at best, "eh" with the JJ Watt pick and initially early on in the season, i thought i would be right. but by the end of the season i was warming that cold plate of crow up and couldnt eat it fast enough. I ate an extra pot of crow for good measure after this past year.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #30
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Scout.com -- B

Quote:
The Texans are hoping that wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins can be the compliment opposite Andre Johnson. Safety D.J. Swearinger and defensive ends Sam Montgomery and Trevardo Williams look like nice fits in that Texans defense. Chris Jones is a nice late round find at defensive tackle. Their two offensive tackles, Brennan Williams and David Quessenberry both have a chance to make big contributions with this team.

Overall grade: B

Quote:
One thought from Mel Kiper Jr.: “Trevardo Williams was a steal for me. Wade Phillips can get him on the field because Williams can rush the passer and was hugely productive.”

John McClain -- B+

Quote:
Analysis: DeAndre Hopkins gives them the kind of receiver they need opposite Andre Johnson. Swearinger should play a lot off the bench and be groomed by Ed Reed. Williams may challenge Derek Newton at right tackle. Montgomery or Trevardo could move Brooks Reed inside.

NFLDRAFTSCOUT.COM
By Rob Rang | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com

Grade: A-

Quote:
The Texans had holes to fill from a position standpoint, but I like this draft class most because of the physicality that Houston gained. With a superstar like Andre Johnson on one side, DeAndre Hopkins' sharp route running and better field-than-40 speed could make him an immediate impact rookie. Safety D.J. Swearinger is a versatile, highly physical safety who'll add to the toughness of the secondary. In a similar way, Sam Montgomery could surprise (if he remains focused on football) as an edge rusher. People tend to gloss over the fact that he was a much more consistent and productive defender at LSU than Barkevious Mingo, whom the Browns took at No. 6 overall. Finally, offensive tackle Brennan Williams earned first-round grades from a number of scouts and lasted until the third only because he is coming off a torn labrum. Massive and highly athletic, he's a perfect fit at right tackle. The Texans added another developmental tackle that I like in San Jose State's David Quessenberry, as well as another productive pass-rusher to watch in Connecticut's Trevardo Williams.

SI.com -- Grade: B
Quote:
WR DeAndre Hopkins is just what the doctor ordered for this offense. Same goes for S D.J. Swearinger on the other side of the ball. Beyond that, we’ll see. Offensive linemen Brennan Williams and David Quessenberry and defensive ends Sam Montgomery and Trevardo Williams have potential, but they’ll have to work to crack the lineup.

Pete Prisco, CBSSports -- Grade: B-
Quote:
Best pick: Third-round tackle Brennan Williams will be the starter at right tackle. He had a first-round grade by some before suffering an injury. Nice pick.

Questionable move: Taking defensive end Sam Montgomery in the third round. He is a good football player, but he has some off-the-field concerns.

Third-day gem: Outside linebacker Travardo Williams, taken in the fourth round, has a chance to help amp up the outside pass rush, which needs it.

Analysis: The Texans did a solid job in the early part of the draft, getting receiver DeAndre Hopkins in first and safety D.J. Swearinger in the second. There were some interesting later-round picks too.
RotoWorld, Evan Silva -- Grade: B

Overview: Perhaps no AFC team found a better first-round fit than Hopkins in Houston. A Roddy White-type talent, Hopkins is a pro-ready bookend for X receiver Andre Johnson, playing Z and in the slot. Hard-hitting, trash-talking Swearinger will be a third safety as a rookie, but adds special teams value and could grow into the Texans' next Glover Quin. Williams is an athletic, finesse right tackle prospect capable of putting immediate pressure on inconsistent starter Derek Newton. An LSU base 4-3 end, Montgomery is a questionable schematic fit for Houston's 3-4 but was a value pick. Williams is undersized but wildly explosive off the age. Quessenberry is another zone-blocking prospect. I liked the late-round stab at Jones, who dominated the MAC last season.

Last edited by Playoffs; 04-28-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-28-2013   #31
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 49664 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Way i have it AJ, Hopkins, Martin, Posey though the time table might have him PUP'd to start the season, and Jean. Also will be going up against Jeff Maehl for a spot.For him to have a real shot honestly the team will be looking to to keep six and he better be able to return kicks or punts.

I don't think so much as where he played and how little we really know as is from what little we do at this point i just don't see nearly a high as ceiling as other prospects that were still available.
I get that we know nothing about this kid but the other WR on this team have proven exactly the same thing a Bonner has, nothing...

If Bonner can show Kubiak he can block and do the thing Kubiaks looks for, I would venture he has just as much shot to make the final roster than Martin, Jean and Maehl. I don't think Posey even sees the field this year...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #32
TXAg14
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 TXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respected

Overall, I'm really happy about the draft. Think the Texans got a few players who will have immediate impacts on the team. I really love the pick of Hopkins. I bet he'll be posting legit #2 stats by the end of the season.

Once it gets past about round 3, I'm in the dark in terms of picks. However, I've learned to trust in the front office when it comes to the draft. Texans get it right more often than not. They are also pretty good at finding value late int he draft.

My only beef with the team is not selecting another WR earlier. While there were holes to fill, I think the more WR you bring in the better. Texans spent a 6-rounder on one, but I think one a little earlier would have been the better call.
TXAg14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #33
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAg14 View Post
Overall, I'm really happy about the draft. Think the Texans got a few players who will have immediate impacts on the team. I really love the pick of Hopkins. I bet he'll be posting legit #2 stats by the end of the season.

Once it gets past about round 3, I'm in the dark in terms of picks. However, I've learned to trust in the front office when it comes to the draft. Texans get it right more often than not. They are also pretty good at finding value late int he draft.

My only beef with the team is not selecting another WR earlier. While there were holes to fill, I think the more WR you bring in the better. Texans spent a 6-rounder on one, but I think one a little earlier would have been the better call.
I understand. However, I think there is a practical issue that there will only be so many reps and positions available at each position... and, because the Texans returning WRs are also in need of reps due to youth and inexperience, that flooding the team with rookie WRs becomes counter-productive and actually could damage the entire group.

Just a thought- but I think it is an issue even moreso now that the new collective bargaining agreement has put much tighter limits on off-season practices and mandatory meetings, etc...
Old 04-28-2013   #34
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

From SBNation:

The Link

Texans: C+
Colts: B
Jags: B
Titans: B

Huh? What?

That's not how I saw the draft go down at all!
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #35
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected
Lightbulb Re: 2013 Texans Draft Grades

I would hold my judgement until the end of the season....to see who is still on this team......and who is gone........
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #36
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171454 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
From SBNation:

The Link

Huh? What?

Me either , I thought that no team in the AFC South improved more than the Texans .... Maybe Im biased.

Tenn. did do well in rebuilding their OL .... but I really thought the Dolts draft was lackluster at best and the Jaq's .... are just bad.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #37
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

This is probably something I shouldn't be doing considering my current level of pain medication... but...

Round 1, Pick 27- Clemson WR DeAndre “Nuke” Hopkins, 6’1” 214 lbs Grade: A+
I love, love, LOVE this pick. I expect the kid to come in immediately as our #2 and upgrade that position. I think he's going to have a great future. I didn't expect him to fall to us.

Round 2, Pick 57- South Carolina S D.J. Swearinger, 5’11” 208 lbs Grade: A
For this season, our dime package will include Manning, Reed, and Swearinger. Which means Keo and Demps won't find the field as much. How is that not epic win? He brings a swagger and confidence and I expect him to be a great understudy to Reed.

Round 3, Pick 89- North Carolina OT Brennan Williams, 6’6” 318 lbs Grade: A
I think this kid is a really good player. He's going to get a lot of work this offseason since Newton is injured. And I expect Williams to take the RT spot and be a starter.

Round 3, Pick 95- LSU OLB Sam Montgomery, 6’3” 262 lbs Grade: A
Although there are questions and reservations about whether this kid can work in space, he had more production than his line-mate, Mingo, who was drafted 6th (iirc) by the Browns. I think this kid's going to be a starter although he might not be a day 1 starter.

Round 4, Pick 124- UCONN OLB Trevardo Williams, 6’1” 241 lbs Grade: A
Kids got great upside. Might just be a Will pass rush specialist but I expect him to be part of our OLB rotation. IF we move Reed inside, then I think Williams will see the field a lot. If we DON'T move Reed inside, he'll probably be limited to ST duty. I gave him an A because I think he's going to get a lot of playing time and be very disruptive.

Round 6, Pick 176- San Jose State OT David Quessenberry, 6’5” 302 lbs Grade: A
I think this was totally a value pick. I think the Texans had Brennan Williams and Quessenberry high on their list and at about the same spot. And when they got to the 6th round, they couldn't NOT pick him. I don't know what this means wrt the composition of our line next year. If Quessenberry is as versatile as people said, he could be our swing OR he could push for work on the interior of the line. The tape of this kid at the Senior Bowl stonewalling people was awesome.

Round 6, Pick 195- Jacksonville State WR Alan Bonner, 5’10” 193 lbs Grade: B
He's a good route runner and he's got good hands. The WR room is going to be very full with AJ, DH, KM, Posey, Jean, Maehl, this kid, and the UDFAs. But I think this kid is going to stick. Not because he's going to be one of our main WRs but because he's going to handle the KR/PR duties.

Round 6, Pick 198- Bowling Green NT Chris Jones, 6’2” 302 lbs Grade: A
I've loved what I've seen and heard about this kid. He's very slippery and he gets good penetration. Which is exactly what Wade wants from his NT. I expect him to be in rotation with Earl.

Round 6, Pick 201- UCONN TE Ryan Griffin, 6’6” 261 lbs Grade: C
I don't have a problem with this pick. I wanted us to take a TE at some point. We're still suffering from the loss of Dreessen. I'm just not sure this is the guy that's going to come in and dominate the TE3 spot.

Summary/Final Grade: A
At this point in the season, I'm loving this draft. I think we've got 7 guys we are going to see significant duty and contribute to the team.

BUT.

I do like to look at the positive side of things so it might just be me.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #38
TXAg14
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 TXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I understand. However, I think there is a practical issue that there will only be so many reps and positions available at each position... and, because the Texans returning WRs are also in need of reps due to youth and inexperience, that flooding the team with rookie WRs becomes counter-productive and actually could damage the entire group.

Just a thought- but I think it is an issue even moreso now that the new collective bargaining agreement has put much tighter limits on off-season practices and mandatory meetings, etc...
Agreed on all. I didn't want the Texans to necessarily grab 3 WR in the draft. However, they decided to spend a later pick on a WR in the 6th round. Who knows, it could be for special teams depth or something else. But I'd rather the Texans have spent a 3rd or 4th rounder on another WR than wait til the 6th if they are truly looking for some more options/depth at the position.

WR corps now comprise of Andre, Hopkins, Keyshawn Martin, Lestar Jean and ? Posey is most likely out for a majority of the season. Kevin Walter is gone. I guess I would have liked to see the Texans grab another guy that they think could compete for a role as a package WR.

However, after all of that I'm pretty stoked about the draft. Think the Texans definitely addressed some needs that were pressing.
TXAg14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #39
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
From SBNation:
The Link

Huh? What?

One, it appears to only be grading Day 3 picks,

And two, it's SBNation.
Old 04-28-2013   #40
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 168714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAg14 View Post
Agreed on all. I didn't want the Texans to necessarily grab 3 WR in the draft. However, they decided to spend a later pick on a WR in the 6th round. Who knows, it could be for special teams depth or something else. But I'd rather the Texans have spent a 3rd or 4th rounder on another WR than wait til the 6th if they are truly looking for some more options/depth at the position.

WR corps now comprise of Andre, Hopkins, Keyshawn Martin, Lestar Jean and ? Posey is most likely out for a majority of the season. Kevin Walter is gone. I guess I would have liked to see the Texans grab another guy that they think could compete for a role as a package WR.

However, after all of that I'm pretty stoked about the draft. Think the Texans definitely addressed some needs that were pressing.
We'll likely keep 5 WRs. You assert that four of the five spots are taken. I'm not sure about that. I think that only two of the spots are locked in - it would be three if Posey was healthy. Do you guys really think that we've seen enough consistent performance from Jean, K-Mart, and/or Maehl that they should be given the slot receiver spot. With Posey likely out forhalf the season, I think there are only TWO WRs spots locked down. The rest are up for grabs.

I think more of a Bonner experiment at KR/PR/WR than I did the Trindon Holliday experiment. I just heard Mel HairGel say that the Texans got two steals on day three; Trevardo Williams and Alan Bonner.

This 3rd day move to get Bonner is no worse than the Trindon Holliday move/experiment. If you gave the Holliday move an F then I can see giving this and F. If not.....
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read