Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-28-2013   #41
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 4th round Trevardo Williams De/OLB

The more I watch this guy and Montgomery the more I love these picks. Williams is going to give us burst off the edge that we don't have. Both he and Montgomery bring ferocity to the pass rush.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #42
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
The more I watch this guy and Montgomery the more I love these picks. Williams is going to give us burst off the edge that we don't have. Both he and Montgomery bring ferocity to the pass rush.
I'm going a step farther and saying that quite a few of our picks including these guys bring quite a bit of nastiness and swagger. Even the offensive guys do. Swagger is overrated to me, but at times last year we lacked confidence. I don't get the feeling from any of these guys with our first five picks have problem with confidence whatsoever.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #43
jppaul
Cut and Dry

Rep Power: 1193 jppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Montgomery and T williams seem like polar opposites to me. Im not worried about reed inside...can Montgomery handle the strong side?
Montgomery stacks the point of attack as well as any olb in this draft. I am worried about any man coverage responsibilities on anything more than a 3 sec count, especially extended crossing routes against quicker backs or tight ends. I think the speed is there but not the fluidity. Watched some T Williams game tape, love this pick with a little coaching he is going to be instant impact this year 5 or 6 sacks easy.
jppaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #44
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jppaul View Post
Watched some T Williams game tape, love this pick with a little coaching he is going to be instant impact this year 5 or 6 sacks easy.
I just saw Williams vs NC State, and he terrorized Mike Glennon. I just wonder if he has enough strength to shed blocks in the NFL. I guess size wise, he compares to Dumervil and James Harrison. But, those guys just seem more bulked up to me. There's no questioning William's quickness, though. As good as the Jordans and Mingos in that regard.
Old 04-29-2013   #45
jppaul
Cut and Dry

Rep Power: 1193 jppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree once they lock on he's done but wow can he run
jppaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #46
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Mr. Williams to be on 610 am in a few minutes.

Edit: I misunderstood them. They are talking to the fan that got to announce the Trevardo Williams pick :/

Double Edit: They are actually going to talk to Trevardo next
Old 04-30-2013   #47
Rey
Hall of Fame

Connection was kind of bad so hard to understand him fully, but he Talked about Ryan Griffen and said he's a good play maker. He said he's not extremely familiar with the Texans Roster beyond WATT. But he knows that we have a lot of good young players. He's from an area in Jamaica know for speed. He has always been a high energy guy that loved to run since he was a kid.

He's kind of quiet, but he sounds like a smart guy.
Old 04-30-2013   #48
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

I could easily see us leaving Reed where he is and starting this kid next to Cush over Dobbins by mid year.

I can also easily see us bumping Reed inside next to Cush with Williams Montgomery platooning at SLB.

We've got so much versatility with the draft of this kid its ridiculous.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #49
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Classic Jamaican sprinter with plus speed for position.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #50
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Connection was kind of bad so hard to understand him fully, but he Talked about Ryan Griffen and said he's a good play maker. He said he's not extremely familiar with the Texans Roster beyond WATT. But he knows that we have a lot of good young players. He's from an area in Jamaica know for speed. He has always been a high energy guy that loved to run since he was a kid.

He's kind of quiet, but he sounds like a smart guy.
Also, it sounds like another UConn player, WR, is thinking about signing with us as a UDFA. He said that guy had "gorilla hands" and could catch anything thrown to him.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #51
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 35346 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
... He's from an area in Jamaica know for speed...
And all this time I thought Jamaica was known for weed.

Excited to see him play. Think they will do the fans a fav and let him wear #90

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-16-2013   #52
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

2013-05-16: Agreed to terms.

The Chron's report.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013   #53
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 232779 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Coaches sez Trevardo > Montgomery at this point, fwiw.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013   #54
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
That's what I was afraid of. He was referring to Sean Porter of A&M, who I thought we would definitely pick up. He went to the Bengals six spots ahead of us.
Is that who he was talking about? Greene and Hodges also went right before Williams.
Old 05-20-2013   #55
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

From Texans director of college scouting Mike Maccagnan:

Scout's Take: Maccagnan on OLB Trevardo Williams

Quote:
“Trevardo is another defensive end in college, playing in a 4-3 defense, we are projecting or going to convert to an outside linebacker. Whereas Sam (Montgomery) is obviously a bigger-statured guy and a more powerful player, Trevardo is actually shorter in terms of height; he’s about 6-1 and a half, about 245 pounds, but Trevardo is more of a speed type athlete. Now, he does have fine strength and ability from that standpoint. At the Combine, he obviously he displayed his speed. When you watch him on the college tape, he is a very, very fast, explosive player with very good initial quickness. When we evaluated him, we liked him from a pass rush ability standpoint. We definitely thought he had the skill set to make the transition from defensive end to outside linebacker. I think he had 12.5-plus sacks each year the last two years in that conference, so he’s been very productive as a pass rusher in college in the Big East level of competition. When you watch him versus the run, he is a strong player for his size, (has) the ability to hold the point of attack, control a tight end, shows good ability and real good speed and range to kind of run and chase and make plays versus the outside run or down the line of scrimmage versus the inside run. It was a guy that we liked where we got him and we thought it was a good value-type pick in that spot in the draft with the ability to potentially be a good player for us in our scheme. We really felt he was a really, really good athlete with the physical tools to be able to play that position."
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013   #56
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he is going to really improve with some pro level coaching. Their HC was the defensive coordinator for the Cowboys and Dolphins but I don't see an extensive pass rush repertoire. A whole bunch of pass rush upside though.

Last edited by SW H-TOWN; 05-20-2013 at 11:12 PM.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013   #57
Rey
Hall of Fame

Raw ability is off the charts. Needs to get stronger and improve technique.
Old 05-20-2013   #58
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

I think his biggest problem is that he has just about no pass rush moves. He plays the run pretty good but I don't see him doing anything like this... just go to 4:40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVtju56nqzE
Old 05-21-2013   #59
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Rep Power: 14915 AngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
I think his biggest problem is that he has just about no pass rush moves. He plays the run pretty good but I don't see him doing anything like this... just go to 4:40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVtju56nqzE
Travis Long hasn't even been picked up by a team..
AngryNateFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013   #60
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

That is not what I am getting at. Point is that Long shows the ability to set up his guy to the inside and then put a pass rush move on the him, something Williams does not do. Williams has a much higher celing but has yet to develop just about any moves IMO due to poor coaching. Also watch the play in regular speed right before 4:40 and the play after. Long lacks athleticism and probably won't get much better but has some good moves. Williams IMO has the strength, more than Long but appears to get swollowed up because after his speed move he has nothing left in his arsenal so he puts both his hands in the OL' s chest.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read