Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-27-2013   #61
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 3rd round Sam Montgomery DE/OLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I think hes going to play olb. I could be wrong though...
I wouldn't rule that out either.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #62
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I watched him on youtube and seems like to me he is playing hard and not playing soft at all. Montgomery could be a steal of draft. Show us what you got this coming season Sam!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #63
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 7520 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

http://i.imgur.com/YsOQzUE.jpg

not sure if real or not
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #64
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 39317 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

My LSU friends are really excited about this.
Old 04-27-2013   #65
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 43520 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
His answer to character concerns:

Link.
This sounds like a horrible person. Maybe Sam and Foster can ride the bench together and discuss philosophy.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #66
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 43520 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey
He sounds like Arian foster to me
Quote:
That struck me too.
Make that 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate
@LanceZierlein Source told me "there is no way that the Texans have all the info on Sam Montgomery.... even WE took him off the board." Yikes.
Even "WE" took him off the board? Who is his source? Jerry Jones? funny stuff.

Old 04-27-2013   #67
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm hopeful that this pick turns out well. It certainly may. What concerns me, though, is the likelihood that the Texans front office did not do the research it needed to... I have a hard time believing that this organization knowingly selected a player on this list:

HERE

I just don't see it. I can believe that they asked him about his combine comments and were satisfied with his answer. Herring said, basically, that he's just foolish and likes to talk. I get that and don't have a problem with that conclusion. Frankly, with pick #95, I don't have a problem with the Texans taking a shot at a 1st round talent that has some discipline and work ethic issues to work on. What I do mind, though, is the possibility that the Texans were unaware of some of these concerns. If that's the case, they were either sloppy in preparation for the draft or they panicked during the draft process when a player(s) they targeted was selected ahead of them.

Unfortunately, I doubt anyone in the Houston Sports Media will pursue an answer from the Texans brass on their knowledge and reaction to the LSU Strength coach's accusation.
Old 04-27-2013   #68
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I'm hopeful that this pick turns out well. It certainly may. What concerns me, though, is the likelihood that the Texans front office did not do the research it needed to... I have a hard time believing that this organization knowingly selected a player on this list:

HERE

I just don't see it. I can believe that they asked him about his combine comments and were satisfied with his answer. Herring said, basically, that he's just foolish and likes to talk. I get that and don't have a problem with that conclusion. Frankly, with pick #95, I don't have a problem with the Texans taking a shot at a 1st round talent that has some discipline and work ethic issues to work on. What I do mind, though, is the possibility that the Texans were unaware of some of these concerns. If that's the case, they were either sloppy in preparation for the draft or they panicked during the draft process when a player(s) they targeted was selected ahead of them.

Unfortunately, I doubt anyone in the Houston Sports Media will pursue an answer from the Texans brass on their knowledge and reaction to the LSU Strength coach's accusation.
What gives you, or anyone, the impression that the Texans were unprepared and panicked? Even if someone they targeted was picked they do have their own big board. They didnt just draw a name from a hat.

I think Montgomery's personality is going to fit right in with Wade Phillips. And lets not forget he will be in a LB core that has Cushing in it.

Old 04-27-2013   #69
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 244585 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

The controversial Combine quote:
Quote:
At the combine, Montgomery said he didn’t play all-out because weak opponents allowed for some respite.

“You know, some weeks when we didn't have to play the harder teams, there were some times when effort was not needed,” Montgomery said in Indianapolis. “But when we had the big boys coming in, the Bamas or the South Carolinas, I grabbed close to those guys and went all-out.

“Of course, this is a new league, the NFL, and there are no small teams, small divisions. It is all Alabamas and LSUs every week. It's definitely something I have to get adjusted to, but I'm sure with the right coaching I will be fine.”
In a conference call with Houston media, Montgomery said his best quality is his relentlessness -- contradicting the idea that he didn’t give his all against teams like North Texas, Idaho and Towson.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #70
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 244585 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaJokaa View Post

not sure if real or not
Surprisingly, it is real. LSU strength/conditioning coach Tommy Moffitt threw a few players under the bus...

Old 04-27-2013   #71
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Here is his path to the draft:

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-medi...1-e4fd8ac19082

Old 04-27-2013   #72
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post

HERE

For all of the faults oone can find with the Texans, i doubt its under preparation for the draft. while I don't find rick smith paraticularly innovative or engaging, nothing has ever been suggested that he wasn't thorough. when they have the overall drft press conference, i would like to hear his answers versus the LBer coaches 90 second drop in the bucket.
Old 04-27-2013   #73
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I wouldn't rule that out either.
Reggis Herring the LB coach did the "interview" on him. Montgomery is starting out at Lber

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...b-ef00408f407b
Old 04-27-2013   #74
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

From that same article:

Quote:
(on whether he saw any discrepancy in effort on Montgomery’s part in college) “No, actually he plays fast and he’s physical. I think if anything, the young man is guilty of being a little naive, and therefore the fact that he’s really an honest guy and tells you like it is and probably would tell you a lot more than he needs to tell you or open up and take all day talking to you. He’s a guy with a big personality and at the end of the day there’s not many players that would tell you something negative about themselves and not even know they’re doing it. And that’s just me talking to you right now. I’m probably trying to analyze what he told you at the combine or what you heard. He likes to talk.”
Seems the Texans actually valued his honesty in the combine interviews, even if his honesty didn't paint a nice picture of himself.

I think the lackluster tenure of Connor Barwin, his Bulls on Parade shenanigans, the letter jackets, etc., maybe Wade and Rick decided that it was time to venture into more turbulent waters with draft picks.

The defense outside of Watt and Manning in the last month of 2012 was lacking killer instinct. Swearinger and Montgomery can hopefully raise the intensity level.

At least with Montgomery, he's openly admitting his lack of consistency. Something Connor Barwin was guilty of but you'd never hear him admit it.

Maybe honesty is the best policy.
Old 04-27-2013   #75
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Update on the strength coach's list:

Tommy Moffitt @TommyMoffitt
Quote:
@ChaddScott The pic from office window is old news. These guys had all missed a class. Great kids and hard workers. #tigertough #LSU
8:22 AM - 29 Dec 2012
Chadd Scott @ChaddScott
Quote:
for AM crowd WOW! RT @ScarboroughMike: window of LSU Strength coach @TommyMoffitt office in weight room. pic.twitter.com/FDSgytOS
So not as bad as it looked.
Old 04-27-2013   #76
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
from the article...

I think this is another case of drafting replacements. Hopkins was drafted to replace Walter and may eventually replace A.J. Swearinger may eventually replace Ed Reed. I feel that Montgomery will be groomed to replace Ninja.
I think he is too small to replace ninja on the dl unless they can bulk him up. LB seems like the place for Montgomery.
Philippians 3:14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #77
Fyler
Rookie

Default Brandon Lloyd as a Texan?

Idk our cap situation but Lloyd still being a free agent he would most likely take less money for a one year contract. We have Johnson and now Hopkins but If we added Lloyd we would have one of the best offenses next year. I been waiting to hear it happen but is there a reason why it hasn't? It would be a huge pickup and I think could lead to a Championship.
Fyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #78
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Update on the strength coach's list:

Tommy Moffitt @TommyMoffitt

Chadd Scott @ChaddScott

So not as bad as it looked.
It's important to consider Moffitt's comments on that picture. While he could just be back-peddling, it seems likely that it was just a motivation tactic. No college program is going to nuke a kids' NFL future because the kid missed some weight training sessions. The damage to the reputation of the program would severely affect recruiting.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #79
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's important to consider Moffitt's comments on that picture. While he could just be back-peddling, it seems likely that it was just a motivation tactic. No college program is going to nuke a kids' NFL future because the kid missed some weight training sessions. The damage to the reputation of the program would severely affect recruiting.
Yep ... dude would be fired for affecting recruits .
Old 04-27-2013   #80
Quick II Draw
Veteran

Rep Power: 2095 Quick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respected

Is Sam Montgomery better than Alex Okafor?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read