Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-26-2013   #41
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 221373 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: 3rd round Sam Montgomery DE/OLB

There was an article that was posted here, written by Jerry Angelo. It was called "The Importance of Football Character".

Quote:
Before we go further, let’s first define “football character.” Football character entails a player’s work ethic, competitive nature, threshold for pain, football IQ, overall passion for game and level of play within these characteristics.

At the college level, a gifted player can dominate with his talent alone regardless of his lack of football character. When the player gets to the next level, it tends to catch up to him. Rarely does a player have a long career in the National Football League without football character since he can no longer mask those flaws with his talent as he once did in college.

Football character is the glue that allows players to establish themselves and create the needed staying power when their talent starts to erode. It allows them to continue to play well past their prime. The exceptions are so rare that you almost can’t even categorize them as aberrations - they’re that rare. It might surprise you to find out that most busts have more to do with a players lack of character than talent.
Quote:
While both “citizenship” and “football character” are important to his future success as a football player, I would say that the latter carries more importance. That’s the reason I would always say “we’re not looking for boy scouts” because our jobs are to win football games. We weren’t hired to serve the community. That’s not to say a player’s citizenship isn’t important because I feel like it is very important. I’m just saying that football character is more important.

In the end, you’re much better off drafting players who have talent with a strong history of practice and games started, than a player with elite talent, that can’t be counted on.
Quote:
On the other side of football character, we drafted a LB out of the midwest with a high first round draft pick. He was a hold out and got paid substantial money. Between partying, buying new cars and water toys, we rarely saw any of the type of play we had seen in college. He couldn't learn his assignments and couldn't be trusted to play every down. The player was late for meetings, fined repeatedly and it went on and on. It was one bad thing after another. If it weren't for drafting him in the 1st round we would have cut him after his rookie year.
I'd be lying if I said I don't have concerns.
Old 04-26-2013   #42
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

@LanceZierlein Source told me "there is no way that the Texans have all the info on Sam Montgomery.... even WE took him off the board." Yikes.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #43
mariowillshine15
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2512 mariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respected

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...9716--nfl.html

#38 on the Shutdown corner top 50.
mariowillshine15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #44
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Why doe it require moral fiber to take risky picks? That makes no sense. Besides the point that Montgomery doesn't really have character concerns. The combine press conference is overblown.
Honestly, he did the football equal of the kids who come home with a "b" in a class because they barely had to study, ignoring the fact that if they had even put in moderate consistent and proper study they would have made an easy "A"
Old 04-26-2013   #45
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

His answer to character concerns:

Quote:
So what does he make of those who say he comes with character concerns?

"I've never been in trouble with the police," he said. "I've never done anything outrageous or anything like that. It's just that I have a different way of looking at things. That's all. ... You have to have a little integrity."

Montgomery said he tells teams that he's active in the community and has an appreciation for everything. He's actually hosting an event on April 24 -- the day before the draft begins -- for his hometown of Greenwood, S.C. called "Unity in the Community with Sam Montgomery." He'll give a speech to children about the importance of being active and hard work. There will be games for children to compete in. He'll also sign autographs and host a cookout.

The goal is to show Greenwood "that I actually love my city with passion and care," Montgomery said. "They are a main part of my success."

At the combine, Montgomery said that he was leaving early "due to family conditions." Montgomery's mother recently underwent hip surgery.
Link.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #46
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
There was an article that was posted here, written by Jerry Angelo. It was called "The Importance of Football Character".

I'd be lying if I said I don't have concerns.
That sounds a whole lot like Mario Williams. Supreme talent but lazy ass character. Or David Carr for that matter. If Montgomery ends up like this, at least the Texans only wasted a 3rd pick rather than the #1 overall. I say that while acknowledging the opinion that he was probably the best pick the Texans could've made at #1 in the '06 draft.

Coming in as a 3rd round pick will (hopefully) be humbling for the man. Watching such players as Watt and Cush go through their conditioning programs and seeing their dedication to film study and how they go about their business as a pro, will hopefully open his eyes as to what needs to happen to be successful at the NFL level. If he gets his act together and buys into what Watt and Cush preach, he could be a monster. If he doesn't, he's a washout 3rd rounder in a couple of years. Won't be anywhere near the 1st or the last.
DocBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #47
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

They should have taken Jesse Williams DT Alabama here.
Old 04-27-2013   #48
greekdbag
Veteran

Rep Power: 1796 greekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I know one thing...I like him more than I like Merciless...
lol I am going to go crazy if I see you bash MERCILUS not Merciless one more time. You have done nothing but ride the guy since he was drafted. It is almost scary to be honest with you. The guy was a fantastic player in college, though raw, and still came up with six sacks as a reserve last year. I hope he makes you eat a huge plate of crow.
greekdbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #49
greekdbag
Veteran

Rep Power: 1796 greekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
They should have taken Jesse Williams DT Alabama here.
There are major concerns about his knees. No thanks.
greekdbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #50
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72763 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
That sounds a whole lot like Mario Williams. Supreme talent but lazy ass character. Or David Carr for that matter. If Montgomery ends up like this, at least the Texans only wasted a 3rd pick rather than the #1 overall. I say that while acknowledging the opinion that he was probably the best pick the Texans could've made at #1 in the '06 draft.

Coming in as a 3rd round pick will (hopefully) be humbling for the man. Watching such players as Watt and Cush go through their conditioning programs and seeing their dedication to film study and how they go about their business as a pro, will hopefully open his eyes as to what needs to happen to be successful at the NFL level. If he gets his act together and buys into what Watt and Cush preach, he could be a monster. If he doesn't, he's a washout 3rd rounder in a couple of years. Won't be anywhere near the 1st or the last.
Actually he seems to be the opposite of Mario. He would disappear against good teams and rack up numbers against inferior talent, lol.
Vance87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #51
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post
Actually he seems to be the opposite of Mario. He would disappear against good teams and rack up numbers against inferior talent, lol.
You must be talking about Mario disappearing....
Old 04-27-2013   #52
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72763 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
You must be talking about Mario disappearing....
Very keen.
Vance87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #53
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post
Very keen.
I'm like that on Friday nights. God given talent.
Old 04-27-2013   #54
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

He sounds like Arian foster to me
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #55
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

After watching this interview, I can easily see him being naively honest in the combine interviews. As if he was playing poker with his cards lying face up. He lacks shrewdness.

But naivety is an indicator of being impressionable, which can be a good thing in the right environment. I don't think this guy will have work ethic issues. If you think so, watch this clip and tell me the guy is inclined to half-ass it on the field.
Old 04-27-2013   #56
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Quote:
He sounds like Arian foster to me
That struck me too.
Old 04-27-2013   #57
Big Valley
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Big Valley is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Valley is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Valley is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Valley is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Valley is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Valley is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Valley is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Valley is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Valley is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Valley is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Valley is a quality contributor and well respected

He should replace Barwin nicely..
Big Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #58
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariowillshine15 View Post
from the article...
Quote:
Conclusion: Montgomery is more of an effort and multi-position cog in a defensive front than a transcendent pass-rusher, but I think he has the attributes that will lead to a relatively seamless level of production at the NFL level ... as long as his NFL team understands what he is and what he is not. His overall physical strength will allow him to exploit the league's trend to the every-gap player, and once he develops more consistent hand techniques, he'll be even better when it comes to extending his bull-rush. In addition, LSU's tendency to use its line to read and react gave a muddied picture of Montgomery's potential as an every-down pass-rusher -- but a far better window into his potential as the kind of defensive player who will do everything well.
I think this is another case of drafting replacements. Hopkins was drafted to replace Walter and may eventually replace A.J. Swearinger may eventually replace Ed Reed. I feel that Montgomery will be groomed to replace Ninja.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #59
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
from the article...

I think this is another case of drafting replacements. He will be groomed to replace Ninja.
I think hes going to play olb. I could be wrong though...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #60
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84801 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I know one thing...I like him more than I like Merciless...
From what I saw.. he has more strength, but Barwin beat him at everthing else, including pass rush moves, and was a WAY better OLBer prospect.

Sorry Ray, like another poster mentioned..What is your beef with Mercilus? I'll expect more from Mercilus with a year under his belt (what's with the hate) Hell , I'd take Braman over the loss of Barwin too. Montgomery is a high upside player, but he's not near as explosive off the edge ass the three mentioned above ( Barwin, Braman, or Merciles.)

Honestly with the way he plays it looks like he needs to add a couple of #s and keep his hand in the dirt if he ever wants to become a starter.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read