Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-26-2013   #21
blitz90
jock strap

Rep Power: 176 blitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 3rd round Sam Montgomery DE/OLB

http://deadspin.com/5971949/heres-th...te-his-players
blitz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #22
MistaRed
All Pro

Rep Power: 13090 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

Herring says they want him to start at OLB
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #23
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

9. SAM MONTGOMERY | LSU 6032|262 lbs|4JR Greenwood, SC (Greenwood HS) 5/25/1990 (age 22) #99

2012: (13/10) 37/13.0/8.0/2 PROJECTION: 3rd Round
2011: (14/11) 49/13.5/9.0/1 MEASUREABLES: 6032 | 262 | 33 7-8” | 9 1-4" | 79 3-4”
2010: (5/5) 18/6.0/2.0/0 COMBINE: 4.81 40-YD DASH | 1.69 10-YD | 34.5” V | 9-6 BJ | 7.18 3C | 4.51 SS
2009: Redshirted

STRENGTHS: Rangy, long-striding athlete with a quick first step out of his stance…stronger than he looks and is at his best when he can punch and get to the body of blockers…has done a nice job filling out his frame and adding 30+ pounds since HS…not shy about using his hands and uses his eyes to track the ball while hung up on blocks…extremely hungry, intense and relentless, never giving up and always fighting through the whistle…good starting experience in the SEC and sack production.

WEAKNESSES: Needs to improve his snap anticipation, too often the last lineman off the ball…plays a little tight and doesn’t easily redirect in a flash…needs to stay balanced through contact and better anticipate blocks and use leverage…lacks elite power, which shows when engaged and needs to develop his strength and hand technique…needs to develop his secondary moves and a more creative repertoire…ACL surgery in Oct. 2010…concerns with work ethic and off-field practice habits.

SUMMARY: More productive pass rusher than teammate Barkevious Mingo, but not the same type of athlete plus strong questions about how hard he will work at the next level…on-field effort isn’t a question, showing intensity on just about every snap…needs to focus more on the fundamentals to develop better get-off anticipation and hand use to shed blocks…not the most fluid athlete and has a few red flags, but he has the tools and on-field motor to make plays in the backfield.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #24
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like a MLB to me...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #25
blitz90
jock strap

Rep Power: 176 blitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respected

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2013...sive_end_.html
blitz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #26
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 40233 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

not the first or last player to have a questionable motor. he was a little too honest about it, but lots of players that people drool over have done the same without actually saying it. good pick.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #27
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I know one thing...I like him more than I like Merciless...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #28
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2408 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't like the pick but there is one thing I have noticed. The Texans are drafting guys who play physical (Hopkins) or with a nasty predisposition (everyone else). From what I have seen when Montgomery is motivated he is a solid player and possesses a nasty streak. The Texans are not drafting nice guys in 2013.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #29
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

"You know, some weeks when we didn't have to play the harder teams, there were some times when effort was not needed," he said. "But when we had the big boys coming in, the Bamas or the South Carolinas, I grabbed close to those guys and went all out. Of course, this is a new league, the NFL and there are no small teams, small divisions, it is all Alabamas and LSUs every week. It's definitely something I have to get adjusted to, but I'm sure with the right coaching I will be fine."
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...9716--nfl.html
OK this guy is easily the most intriguing prospect the Texans have drafted this year, so far atleast. I've seen him graded first and second round, but he's dropped quite a lot because of a curious attitude (too much candor maybe ?).
I think this is more of Wades' influence, because he's able to get some players thru McNairs watchful eyes that probably couldn't have made it before the DCs arrival. I like this pick - definitely risky, but upside for sure
and yet it's practically a 4th round pick, so not a huge investment by the Texans.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #30
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
not the first or last player to have a questionable motor. he was a little too honest about it, but lots of players that people drool over have done the same without actually saying it. good pick.
I try not to put on my tin foil hat too often, but when I read that he admitted taking plays off during interviews, my first reaction was that he only said that to teams he didn't want to play for.
I think the dude might be a closet genius.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #31
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm sure Cush and Watt will make sure he doesn't take any plays off. Not to mention Reed and Manning. I'm not worried about this guys work ethic with those guys pushing him.
Old 04-26-2013   #32
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
I try not to put on my tin foil hat too often, but when I read that he admitted taking plays off during interviews, my first reaction was that he only said that to teams he didn't want to play for.
I think the dude might be a closet genius.
I would consider him a damn fool to throw away money like that. I'm intrigued by the pick and his comments honestly don't scare me, but I doubt he would risk losing hundreds of thosands of dollars on purpose.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #33
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I'm sure Cush and Watt will make sure he doesn't take any plays off. Not to mention Reed and Manning. I'm not worried about this guys work ethic with those guys pushing him.
Not to mention he won't be asked to play every down. When he does get his chances I'm sure he'll be going balls to the wall.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #34
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

maybe, finally Texans have enough moral fiber & Pro Bowl players to warrent taking some risks on talented players that just need proper leadership

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #35
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Section: 521
Rep Power: 74770 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sometexansfan View Post
From Walterfootball:

Definitely don't like to hear that.
I dont see him taking jack**** off with Reggie Herring around

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #36
Fili
All Pro

Rep Power: 3891 Fili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respected

Somebody that doesn't have dreads lol.
Old 04-26-2013   #37
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
maybe, finally Texans have enough moral fiber & Pro Bowl players to warrent taking some risks on talented players that just need proper leadership
Why doe it require moral fiber to take risky picks? That makes no sense. Besides the point that Montgomery doesn't really have character concerns. The combine press conference is overblown.
Old 04-26-2013   #38
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
Don't like the pick but there is one thing I have noticed. The Texans are drafting guys who play physical (Hopkins) or with a nasty predisposition (everyone else). From what I have seen when Montgomery is motivated he is a solid player and possesses a nasty streak. The Texans are not drafting nice guys in 2013.
Perhaps, NASTY is a key word for 2013 Texans' draft. I like NASTY D!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #39
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 87851 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz90 View Post
Howie Long is always talking about how he always avoided the workout room.

Put on the tape.

TEXANRED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #40
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I took this guy at #36 in the TT Mock Draft for the Lions!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read