Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-26-2013   #141
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 1st Round- DeAndre Hopkins WR Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80tothezone View Post
we need depth pretty much everywhere else except NT. In the first round I think you draft your starter. I like the pick, we have needed a #2 WR for years and I think we finally got it.
I totally agree with the unbolded part.

I don't know that I agree with the bolded part at all.

NT: It all depends on how Wade feels about Mitchell. If he thinks Earl's ready for the starter spot, then we just need someone we can rotate in with him. So we need depth at that spot although someone to push Mitchell for the starting spot would be great.

ILB/OLB: This is where it gets tricky. At ILB, we've got Cushing and we've got depth but we don't have the other ILB. Unless we're sure Brooks Reed is going to slide over and take that starter ILB spot.

If Brooks Reed ISN'T sliding over, then we need a starter for that second ILB spot. And we need someone for our OLB rotation with Reed and Mercilus.

If Brooks Reed IS sliding over, then we need a starter for the OLB spot AND we need a second OLB for the rotation.

So those are the places where I think we definitely need more than depth. Right tackle is possibly an issue; depending on Newton's recovery, we may need a starter there.

Everywhere else, it's all about if we can upgrade or prepare for the future.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #142
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80tothezone View Post
we need depth pretty much everywhere else except NT. In the first round I think you draft your starter. I like the pick, we have needed a #2 WR for years and I think we finally got it.
The only NT they have on the roster is .... Earl Mitchell.

DE - Watt , Ninja and Crick are the only healthy DE's on the roster.

Only three (3) OLB's on the roster.- Reed , Mercilus and Braman.

CB and Safety are also positions of concern depth wise.

I had heard that they planned to move Crick inside to NT/DT when they let Cody walk .... but that makes the DE depth that much thinner and Im not sold that Crick can handle playing inside.

They had 22 FA's hit the market and it has affected their depth up and down the roster.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #143
texanchris
Veteran

Rep Power: 3782 texanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respected

I know this will probably change now that Hopkins in the NFL and i don't want this to change anyones perception of him but i thought i'de pass this along. I go to a college in South Carolina and its pretty well known that both him and Sammy Watkins both smoke a lot. Not only that but a couple of my buddies say that their friends at Clemson happen to get weed from Hopkins. Like i said, hopefully he puts this behind him now that he's in NFL because he has all the physical attributes to be a great receiver.

Last edited by texanchris; 04-26-2013 at 02:36 PM.
texanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #144
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
At one point, LSU's DBs just wave the white flag and start tackling him and pulling his jersey during his routes. LOL, almost every catch attempt he's got guys draped all over him.

The TD catch at the beginning of that clip was special. He'll need those skills to dig up Schaub's subterranean passes that everyone has to lay out for.
I was thinking the same thing, he did good catching those low passes
Old 04-26-2013   #145
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105991 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanchris View Post
I know this will probably change now that Hopkins in the NFL and i don't want this to change anyones perception of him but i thought i'de pass this along. I go to a college in South Carolina and its pretty well known that both him and Sammy Watkins both smoke a lot. Not only that but a couple of my buddies say that their friends at Clemson happen to get weed from Hopkins. Like i said, hopefully he puts this behind him now that he's in NFL because he has all the physics attributes to be a great receiver.
I'm pretty sure a lot of these college players smoke pot. As long as he doesn't take it to Tyrann Mathieu levels (and I'm sure Andre's influence will make him cut back) he'll be fine.
htownfan32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #146
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like he'll be wearing #10

Quote:
Houston Texans ‏@HoustonTexans 19m
WR DeAndre Hopkins will wear number 10 for the #Texans. Jerseys on sale now at http://Shop.HoustonTexans.com . @Nukdabomb
Old 04-26-2013   #147
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know why but I love the number 10 on a WR...

Who else wore number ten?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #148
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

Desean Jackson is number 10...

Old 04-26-2013   #149
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 49664 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Didn't Plexico wear #10 in the 'Burg?

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #150
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
Didn't Plexico wear #10 in the 'Burg?
No. He was #80.

EDIT: Santonio Holmes was #10.
Old 04-26-2013   #151
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Santonio....

I think that's who I was thinking of...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #152
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134504 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

didn't Vince Young wear it when he was here?

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #153
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Not sure. There was some guy named Young who wore 10. All the Texans saw of him was the back of his jersey.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #154
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Uh, yep.

Thanks for bringing that up. Not.
Old 04-26-2013   #155
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
At one point, LSU's DBs just wave the white flag and start tackling him and pulling his jersey during his routes. LOL, almost every catch attempt he's got guys draped all over him.

The TD catch at the beginning of that clip was special. He'll need those skills to dig up Schaub's subterranean passes that everyone has to lay out for.
Eric Reid, picked #18, pretty much just resorted to hitting him before he caught the ball. He just abused those guys when he played LSU.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #156
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Hopkins reminds me of Cris Carter. Not a bad thing at all.
The older more mature Cris Carter w/ Minnesota or the younger Cris with the Eagles?
Old 04-26-2013   #157
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
The older more mature Cris Carter w/ Minnesota or the younger Cris with the Eagles?
As long as he catches touchdowns...
Old 04-26-2013   #158
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post

I had heard that they planned to move Crick inside to NT/DT when they let Cody walk .... but that makes the DE depth that much thinner and Im not sold that Crick can handle playing inside.
I haven't heard that, but I do remember seeing Crick take a few snaps at NT, so I assume it may be part of their plan. However, I doubt their plans are written in stone at this point.

As far as roster spots go, I think that's the main reason for our subpar ST play of late. Too many big guys. OL & DL. We need to trim down at those spots, stock up on receivers, TEs, DBs, & LBs.

Watt, Mitchell, Smith, Jamison, & Crick should be enough bodies. If there's an upgrade over any of them, I'm fine with that, but we don't need to carry six DLmen for our 3-4.
Old 04-26-2013   #159
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't have time to follow the draft year, but after watching highlights and Nuk's skills I love this pick.

We now have a "Nuk-lear Option"!!!

Old 04-26-2013   #160
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 106068 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
82 catches for a 17.1 yard per reception average. That's a lot of receptions to still manage such a high average. And 18 TDs. Imagine if he were fast.
No kidding. Lots of hating going on for this pick and I just don't get it.

For the "2nd best receiver on his team" comment:
RECEIVING G-S Rec Yards Y/Rec Rec/G Y/G TD 20+ LG
6 DeAndre Hopkins, WR 13-13 82 1405 17.1 6.3 108.1 18 24 62
2 Sammy Watkins, WR 10-7 57 708 12.4 5.7 70.8 3 10 61

Andre's last collegiate seasson for comparison. (Granted Andre had better competition that year)

2002* Miami (FL) Big East JR WR 52 1092 21.0 9

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read