Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: What grade do you give the Texans for their first round selection?
A 102 74.45%
B 34 24.82%
C 1 0.73%
D 0 0%
F 0 0%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2013   #21
moonsh0t
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 moonsh0t is a quality contributor and well respectedmoonsh0t is a quality contributor and well respectedmoonsh0t is a quality contributor and well respectedmoonsh0t is a quality contributor and well respectedmoonsh0t is a quality contributor and well respectedmoonsh0t is a quality contributor and well respectedmoonsh0t is a quality contributor and well respectedmoonsh0t is a quality contributor and well respectedmoonsh0t is a quality contributor and well respectedmoonsh0t is a quality contributor and well respectedmoonsh0t is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Grade - Round 1 DeAndre Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jppaul View Post
I guess I just prefer more of a gamble in a first rounder, right or wrong.
moonsh0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #22
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

We went out and picked the best WR on our board for our team in this draft at pick #27.

Doesn't get much better than that without seeing the kids play NFL football.
Old 04-25-2013   #23
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
B, though very close to an A. Glade a weapon was added.

Really glad it wasn't Teo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I give it a solid B. They filled a need and didn't take a lot of risk. They got a day one starter who should plug in and produce good numbers immediately. I don't see Hopkins as a Pro Bowler, that's what keeps me from giving an A.
Just curious - What pick would have given an A?
Old 04-25-2013   #24
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104197 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I like Patterson's upside, though he has such huge bust potential that I would probably give that a B as well.

Maybe would have give an A for Woods, but that is just because I'm a USC fanboy and more familiar with him
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #25
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
I like Patterson's upside, though he has such huge bust potential that I would probably give that a B as well.

Maybe would have give an A for Woods, but that is just because I'm a USC fanboy and more familiar with him
So you probably weren't giving an A no matter what. That's why I stated that this year's A grade doesn't match other years. An A this year might be a B in a different year. But hey, you go with what's out there. I think the Texans did everything right, given the situation.
Old 04-25-2013   #26
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Felt bad for taking him in the TT Mock. New you would take him for the Texans but I like him alot. He is the only WR I wanted at 27 after I got Patterson out of my head.
Probably the only one of the WR's we discussed as being first round material that I would have taken @ 27 .... Hence I took Short.

No reason to feel bad about it. But I think that was one of those situations where we as Texans fans valued a specific position above some others as I didnt really see the Packers taking / needing a WR. I thought they needed defensive help - DE/OLB/S as well as someone to keep Rodgers upright.

Seems like the NFL GM's agree'd with us with the early run on OT's .... 9 of the first 19 picks were OL.

We didnt take any RB's in the first round - neither did the GM's. (first time thats happened since 1967)

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #27
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Well, had they gotten one of the top 3 OTs, that would have been A worthy. Or a edge rusher like Jordan. I would not have given an A for Tavon Austin. I probably would've give an A grade for Patterson, because I felt he had Dez Bryant/Percy Harvin type ability. But was he a fit in the Texans WCO? I don't think there's any question that Hopkins is a good fit.
Old 04-25-2013   #28
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 94067 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

From what I have seen looks like a talented player.

Not a fan of WRs in the 1st round however.

Should be interesting to see what Johnson, Hopkins, Posey and Martin can put together when everyone is fit.
Old 04-26-2013   #29
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Saw this when it aired last week , figured I'd share it with the rest of you - Hopkins on Sports Science - 48 straight 1 hand catches

Also one hand catches from TWO yards away from the JUGS machine.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #30
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

I really like this pick. I don't like picking for need, but I think they went with the best player on their board.

I didn't watch enough college games to really know who would be better between the available receivers. Based on videos and what I've read, though, I think we picked up the best receiver out there. He'll be a great compliment to Andre.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #31
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27155 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

This pick was great, easily an A+
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #32
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 25944 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

A solid A. I never figured he would be there for us. Patterson was taken at #28 - now if there's just a run on WR in the 2nd round this might drop another quality player to us at #57.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #33
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 64539 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

I give it an A! None of the WR's made my jaw drop in this draft, however, the Texans actually finally filled this need and broke out of the "we only take soup kitchen, church going, perfect credit score players" mentality and showed little gumption and took this guy.

Dude seems like he is a beast just lacks top speed. I'm confident 'Dre can teach this young pup how to ball like a beast!

Now if only the China Doll can not throw it out of bounds and actually throw someone else the ball besides Andre.

Dormant bodies bursting!
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #34
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 282262 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

for now, I'll give it an A. On paper, it looks like a great selection.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #35
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopkins is a beast. Will make an immediate impact.

Dude plays like a buzz saw. Could easily be the best WR the Texans have ever had behind Andre Johnson.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #36
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, had they gotten one of the top 3 OTs, that would have been A worthy. Or a edge rusher like Jordan. I would not have given an A for Tavon Austin. I probably would've give an A grade for Patterson, because I felt he had Dez Bryant/Percy Harvin type ability. But was he a fit in the Texans WCO? I don't think there's any question that Hopkins is a good fit.
How would the Texans at #27 have a shot at the top 3 OTs? Honest question.
Old 04-26-2013   #37
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the pick. Hopkins will fit right in. I didn't think he would be there for the Texans at 27. There were only 3 recievers that I thought were 1st rounders and they were the 3 recievers taken in the 1st round. The Texans probably never considered Austin so they basically had their choice and got their man. Grade. A
Old 04-26-2013   #38
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

For all those that wanted Patterson, according to some source I can't remember Hopkins was the Texans top WR target (obvious now), but they thought he'd go before they picked. There next choice, and who they went into the draft prepared to draft, was Justin Hunter...Not Patterson...

Anyways...I give this pick an A....

Hopkins is a beast. I just didn't see elite physical talents from him, but the dude is a baller. Very happy to have him.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #39
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5079 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think we are set for starters on D, Reed is solid Mercilus is gonna be really good. Solid in the middle with Cushing and dobbins. Solid outside with jo jo, and jackson, safety well we got Reed and manning.

It seems like the biggest Glaring need was a solid #2 WR. You can fill the rest of the depth in rd 2 and beyond. We needed a starter at WR and depth everywhere else I think they could not have made a better call. Hopkins plays like a beast just like dre. Beef him up a little and we found our Reggie Wayne!
Not to mention if either Posey or Martin shows up next yr you can use him to give Dre a breather from time to time.

Now if we can get a starting ILB or OLB in rd 2 (moving Reed inside next to cushing) I will be happy too but the biggest need was at WR. We lost those games at the end of 2012 because teams figured out that if you blanket #80 it shuts us down. Our defensive problems came from them being on the field to much and injuries. So you draft depth there and get a solid starting #2 WR. Which we did A+ Rick!!!
Old 04-26-2013   #40
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
For all those that wanted Patterson, according to some source I can't remember Hopkins was the Texans top WR target (obvious now), but they thought he'd go before they picked. There next choice, and who they went into the draft prepared to draft, was Justin Hunter...Not Patterson...

Anyways...I give this pick an A....

Hopkins is a beast. I just didn't see elite physical talents from him, but the dude is a baller. Very happy to have him.

I remember JJ Watt being seen as a hard worker, high motor guy that maybe wasn't the strongest, fastest, best guy in college. I like work ethic guys and think Hopkins fits that mold. Love this pick.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read