Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-26-2013   #81
ASidd_1990
Veteran

Rep Power: 150 ASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 1st Round- DeAndre Hopkins WR Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
A pox on whoever soiled this thread with Ch****s R****s name.
I see you boy!!!!!!!
ASidd_1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #82
ASidd_1990
Veteran

Rep Power: 150 ASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respected

Very stoked about this pick. My sources were correct this whole time!
ASidd_1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #83
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Some video of Hopkins in 5 games of 2012: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTJjRlGOCjk

Also the LSU game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCVWGxNjF_k

He killed LSU in that game. It took about 1 quarter for them to figure out that they didn't have a player on their sideline that could cover Hopkins. And they paid for it.

Another: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVWm9pNiXYY

Another showing him just catch one handers off a machine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwB5J11rmdU. Doesn't really mean much but it is kind of cool.
He bursts off the LOS at the snap. That's what stands out to me, he times the snap very well. I think he beats that LOS jam by a CB pretty well.

I like how he fights for the ball, too. He might draw some P.I. calls, though, because he's doing some grabbing and shoving a lot...but to his credit, his CB is doing the same thing and so he's just fighting for the ball there.

Good clips, btw. Thanks for posting.
Old 04-26-2013   #84
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 31193 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

I like this pick. I didn't know much about him, but I looked up his stats and watched his highlight reel on YouTube. There's promise.
Old 04-26-2013   #85
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I wasn't happy with the Posey pick. I can't remember if you were or not.

For the record, I didn't like the Posey pick on draft day...warmed to it only after having a lot of posters here show me reasons why it was a decent pick...and then I ended up watching Posey play in some reg season action (and thought, "Gee, this guy is better than Keyshawn Martin.").

So, I can't really say that I have a good track record judging draft day WRs for us. LOL.
I was with you, and had a similar change in opinion. I was never "on the bandwagon", but had started to warm up to him before the injury. That said, I still had my doubts.

We are right with Nuke though. This kid is the real deal. I am predicting around 1,000 yards and 7 TDs this year. Book it.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #86
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
They have way too many needs to go double dipping at WR tomorrow. There are probably some projects that would be avialable with their late 6th rounders. Or maybe just wait for UDFAs.
You are probably right , When I took Dobson in the 3rd I regretted the decision for the rest of the draft because I never could nail down a good fit at OT and that pick is where I should have done it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post

We have one 2nd rounder and two third rounders.

I expect O-line, ILB depth, and Safety.
I think they have to take a defensive lineman with one of those , you look at the lack of (quality) depth the fact that they lost a couple players there to FA (or chose not to resign them). They are woefully thin at DE/NT.

They are also really thin at OLB with Barwin moving on - Reed , Mercilus and Braman. Thats all they have currently on the roster at the position.

I think its DL , OLB and OL with those next three choices (no specific order) - quite a few ILB prospects who will be available in the 4th and beyond while the Ed Reed signing pushes safety down the priority list.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #87
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 241303 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
(on his initial reaction when the Texans called him) “You know it was like a moment, it was, I was honored to be called to be a part of the Houston Texans. It was a great moment.”

(on if he had an idea that Houston is where he would end up) “Kind of. I’ve been hearing the buzz, that Andre Johnson needed another wide receiver on the other side of him. When he said that, I was like, ‘I’m that guy. I can help this team win a championship.’ They have great management and I feel like that was the right move.”

(on playing with Andre Johnson) “Oh man, it’s going to be an honor. It’s going to be great learning from a veteran.”

(on being the second receiver drafted from the Texans) “What does it mean to me? I’ve got big shoes to fill and I’m going to go out there and give them my all for us to win a championship.”

(on his expectations coming into season) “I really don’t have expectations, personally. I want to win a championship. That’s my expectation, to come in and help us win a championship.”

(on if he feels he has a chance to earn a starting spot) “Yeah, without a doubt I feel like I do.”

(on if he prides himself on being able to show up at big moments in the game) “Yeah it is. I’m a level-headed player. I don’t really get too emotional to any game because I feel like that would take me out of it. So big moments, my teammates trust me, they come to me, and it’s what I do being a football player.”

(on why he was so consistent at Clemson) “Practice and heart; practicing like it’s the game, making everything look the same. Going out and practicing and practicing hard.”

(on the story of his nickname ‘Nuke’) “Yes, when I was young my mother said that’s the only brand of pacifier I would suck on, so I guess it was kind of clever for her to call me Nuke.”

(on his physical style of play) “That’s natural to me, I feel like. I played defense in high school. When the ball is in the air I feel like it’s mine. No matter who it is or the situation, I feel like I have to come down with the ball or at least knock it away. I’m always trying to get a hand on the ball, and I have a pretty good vertical. I’m able to get the ball at the high point.”

(on if the Texans asked for his side of the hotel room story from the Combine) “No, they didn’t because they knew I didn’t have anything to do with it so I didn’t hear a call from too many teams about it because it was cleared two months ago.”

(on his basketball skills helping his football career) “It has a little bit of credit but it’s a big difference when you’re out there and you’re getting hit and you have to work to catch the ball. But it’s kind of similar when the ball’s up in the air for a rebound. You always have to be on your toes to go up to the ball; same situation as football as a wide receiver. I’m always trying to get the ball at the highest point like a rebound.”

(on who he feels his game compares most to) “I don’t really feel like I compare to anybody. I feel like I’m a unique player. I feel like I’m my own. I feel like I have some different things to bring.”

(on his thoughts on Andre Johnson) “He’s a great wide receiver. He’s a physical guy. He goes out there. I feel like we have the same mentality. When the ball is in the air, it’s ours. He plays with a great mentality, a competitive side that everybody should play with. He’s a guy that I’ve looked up to since he’s been in the NFL.”

(on what he knows about the Houston Texans) “I know they have a good team, all around, a pretty solid team—a championship-contending team. That’s all I really know. Every year they’re getting better, they’re improving. So, I’m happy to walk into a situation where they’re getting better.”

(on what he knows about the city of Houston outside of football) “I do not know anything about the city of Houston, but it’s going to be great flying in and getting to see everything for the first time.”

(on who he’s watching the draft with) “Family and friends, just the local people.”
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...8-8063013498e1
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #88
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I wasn't happy with the Posey pick. I can't remember if you were or not.

For the record, I didn't like the Posey pick on draft day...warmed to it only after having a lot of posters here show me reasons why it was a decent pick...and then I ended up watching Posey play in some reg season action (and thought, "Gee, this guy is better than Keyshawn Martin.").

So, I can't really say that I have a good track record judging draft day WRs for us. LOL.

Old 04-26-2013   #89
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I love this pick. Hopkins has a very high floor and high ceiling. He's got all the physical attributes and experience. Excellent pick.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #90
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Posted this in the other thread - I'll put it here too.

Hopkins on Sports Science

Old 04-26-2013   #91
PockyAF
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3089 PockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, there we have it. Lucky and Vinny say so.

Case closed.
Make that three.

How's that old saying go? Most dumbasses don't know that they're dumbasses.

JKING
PockyAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #92
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockyAF View Post
Make that three.

How's that old saying go? Most dumbasses don't know that they're dumbasses.

JKING
LOL.
Old 04-26-2013   #93
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Meh. What can I say? He practically had no senior season, was serving a suspension over petty stuff (but still got sidelined regardless), it's not like we had a lot of tape on him in his final year of football at Ohio State.

I want rounds 1, 2 and 3 to be solid decision making. My gripe was that it appeared to be, perhaps, a wild shot in the dark. A reach.
Old 04-26-2013   #94
PockyAF
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3089 PockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He bursts off the LOS at the snap. That's what stands out to me, he times the snap very well. I think he beats that LOS jam by a CB pretty well.

I like how he fights for the ball, too. He might draw some P.I. calls, though, because he's doing some grabbing and shoving a lot...but to his credit, his CB is doing the same thing and so he's just fighting for the ball there.

Yea. The LSU game got me excited. Pure dominance and got them in range to win the game.

Btw, most of the grabbing and shoving came after the DBs were grabbing and holding him. Hence why the PIs were called in his favor. Herp
PockyAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #95
ItsMyFault
It's on me.

Rep Power: 487 ItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respected

Awesome pick. I was hoping they'd get one of the three receivers on my list, Hopkins being one of them. Hope we fill the rest of our needs now tomorrow and Saturday.
Old 04-26-2013   #96
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Meh. What can I say? He practically had no senior season, was serving a suspension over petty stuff (but still got sidelined regardless), it's not like we had a lot of tape on him in his final year of football at Ohio State.

I want rounds 1, 2 and 3 to be solid decision making. My gripe was that it appeared to be, perhaps, a wild shot in the dark. A reach.
You dont have to explain .... I was just giving you a hard time. I think I was the only one on the Posey bandwagon before the draft .... Sure has to be a heartbreaker for him to get injured after coming on strong to end the season.

Old 04-26-2013   #97
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

No problem.

He played well against Xavier Rhodes, and Rhodes is a good press cover corner. He is a strong receiver and has pretty long arms.

What I like is how he attacks the ball in the air. He fights hard for it every time it is thrown his way, like you said. There is one play in those clips where he is catching the ball with one arm and holding off a defender with the other. You've got to have some pretty strong hands to catch a ball in that type of situation.

He shows good change of direction to make catches off quick reactions and he is good running after the catch too. He is kind of deceiving when he runs after the catch, because it isn't so much that he is fast but that he makes good cuts, especially that initial cut after the catch, and he is strong.

He was dependable at Clemson. Dependability is exactly what we need out of a receiver right now considering our lack of depth.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #98
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 57152 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Why are you reacting like Posey was some kind of dangerous weapon for the Texans and you completely blew it? Neither Posey or Martin were anything near spectacular as rookies. Posey blowing out his Achilles is about as bad as it gets. I don't see him on the roster after 2014 or 15. Bad luck, but it is what it is.
Old 04-26-2013   #99
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
I like this pick. I didn't know much about him, but I looked up his stats and watched his highlight reel on YouTube. There's promise.
Look up DeAndre Hopkins vs LSU on youtube.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #100
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

The first benefit if picking Hopkins is that he is bust proof. I keep reading that Hunter and Patterson have the most upside, but they have risks. Hopkins has almost no negatives. Then you look at his wingspan, hands, physicality, and big play ability, it's apparent that he has just as much upside as any receiver in this draft. Excellent pick.
Brisco_County is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read