Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-25-2013   #141
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35188 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Lance Zierlein Mock Draft 2.0

I was watching some tape the other day of Justin Hunter, and the resemblance to Randy Moss is unmistakable, atleast for me. I'm not saying for a moment that he's the next Randy Moss or that he possess talent even close to RM, but the tall, thin, long-limbed physique and the lithe, effortless stride reminded me quite a bit of Moss. I could see how some team would watch him, study him and maybe even become enamored with what they thought he could be in the NFL. But I don't see ole "meat & potatoes" Gary Kubiak being the type of NFL coach who would fall in love with Hunter ?
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #142
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

If Datone Jones is there, the Texans just have to take him.
He will replace Antonio Smith next year.
If the Niners want him, they would have to give us at least an additional second rounder before I agree to the trade.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #143
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I don't have the energy for this discussion. . I will say IMO there is no way no how either of your guys could have even close value no matter where drafted. And I do believe Ertz would get more than enough playing time THIS year to justify drafting him. Graham hasn't shown me anything.

Also I don't see OD being around much longer.
O.D. is signed for two more years, with increasing cap of just 500K above last year level.
Unless he gets injured, I think the chance is almost 100% that he's not going anywhere.
Graham is already as good a blocking TE than any the Texans ever had.
His catching ability has never been the question.
The third TE, even if it's Eifert, isn't going to see the field much.
I honestly don't see the Texans taking a TE in the first three rounds.

They still might, but I doubt it very much.
Old 04-25-2013   #144
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58086 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
If the Niners want him, they would have to give us at least an additional second rounder before I agree to the trade.
Most over rated player in this draft. He is one of the few players I would be unhappy with at 27.
Old 04-25-2013   #145
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 35195 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
FWIW, Mike Mayock did his final (only?) mock tonight, and while he did it without trades, he did mention when discussing his San Fran pick that with all the picks they have this year, he expected them to trade up.
If San Francisco is smart, they trade down and acquire an additional second rounder. Then they flip a second rounder this year (and if needbe one of their thirds) into a 1st next year. They would still have their own second and multiple extra picks. They could even then to flip a third this year into a second next year in order to space out their picks.

They do that and suddenly they have 2 firsts and 2 seconds next year...SCARY!

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #146
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44649 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Its about hedging risk. Patterson could become the best WR, or he could wash out. With Woods you are getting a guy who can step in right away and be a decent number 2. However, he likely wont become anything more than a solid number 2.
Which, ironically is the precisely what we have gotten in terms of production from that position.
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #147
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Quote:
Most over rated player in this draft. He is one of the few players I would be unhappy with at 27.
That was what I thought at first, but then
I pulled up a lot of his tapes (whole games) and my thoughts about him changed.

This guy fits the Texans D very well.
He can play the 3t and 5t that Watt and Smith do.
He can slide into NT on passing down like Smith does or he can play at 43DE (like Smith did under Bush.)

He's constantly in the backfield, but didn't get much stats out of those occasions (in term of QB pressure) due to one reason or another.

He's solid in the run game, too!

This guy is going to play for a long time, IMHO.
Old 04-25-2013   #148
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35188 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

As near as I can figure from reading the player ratings/reviews, Terrance Williams out of Baylor is the best blocker, maybe the only WR coming out this year who's thought to have any serious skills as a blocker. Now I'm not sure how much this goes into Kubiak/Texans calculation in taking a WR ? We know it's important, but we probably will learn just how important it is very soon now ?
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #149
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That was what I thought at first, but then
I pulled up a lot of his tapes (whole games) and my thoughts about him changed.

This guy fits the Texans D very well.
He can play the 3t and 5t that Watt and Smith do.
He can slide into NT on passing down like Smith does or he can play at 43DE (like Smith did under Bush.)

He's constantly in the backfield, but didn't get much stats out of those occasions (in term of QB pressure) due to one reason or another.

He's solid in the run game, too!

This guy is going to play for a long time, IMHO.
I went back and watched more on him, and I'm more on the fence than against now.

He's got a quick first step and can get skinny between a double.

Doesn't have an arsenal of moves, so upside there.

But he seems to lose body control on penetration often running himself out of the play or taking poor angles. Is he a finisher???

I've seen him get blown off the line in a run a few times.

So the question is for me is more about who he is as a worker. Can he be coached up? I dunno. I'd love to be in the interview.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #150
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 53272 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
This sounds just like Rick/Gary never take a chance on greatness, always take the safe route.

You can develop a nice little team drafting like this. But you wil never achieve greatness with this philosophy.

If Patterson is there he should be the pick. He may be dumb as a box of rocks. But Darius Slay the top notch CB from Miss St. said on a radio show this week that Patterson was the toughest guy to cover in the SEC. We dont need anybody with that kind of Talent playing WR2 on the Texans. Patterson doesn't fit Gary's mold of what a WR should be.

Patterson scored an 11 on his Wunderlich. Guess what AJ's score was? 14. Not exactly mensa material, Patterson should be the pick if available. (Doubtful)
I hate the Wonderlich, so I put very little stock into its results. I am basing my opinion of Patterson on his on-the-field play and what has been leaked from scouts (though I realize these could be smokescreens).

I would take Patterson if he was there. Boom/bust, but you have to swing for the fences sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seņor Stan View Post
Which, ironically is the precisely what we have gotten in terms of production from that position.
Haha, nice.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #151
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54460 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I think LZ has been completely off base with his mocks and his inside info about guys. No way for me to be sure, but a lot of it just doesn't make sense.

I don't see why San Fran would move up a few spots to take Jones. Now I haven't seen a lot of Jones (or maybe I have and he was just forgettable), but still...Doesn't make sense to me...

And if I'm the Texans I'd rather take Patterson.

Woods is a nice player, but if we're going to take a WR in the first it needs to be a potential stud. I don't see a lot of difference between Woods and some of the second round WR's that will be there as far as ability goes. We don't need a slightly better Devier Posey in the first. We need a real live difference maker.
Unfortunately, I have to agree.

I don't trust anyone who uses league "sources" to rate players. Why would I ever believe that a league source would give even a small bit of truthful incite into what a team is thinking? What's the point in a scout or league "source" even talking to a media individual about players? To throw curveballs? Part of the reason I don't listen to Todd McShay or Mel Kiper. All they do is repeat info from league "sources" and end up contridicting themselves quite often.

I don't get alot of the picks to be honest. Several mocks now where multiple decisions make little to no sense to me.

In 2010, I remember a mock of his that had us taking Ryan Matthews over Joe Haden so, not sure how far the league source thing goes. Nothing personal, just sayin'.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #152
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58086 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I went back and watched more on him, and I'm more on the fence than against now.

He's got a quick first step and can get skinny between a double.

Doesn't have an arsenal of moves, so upside there.

But he seems to lose body control on penetration often running himself out of the play or taking poor angles. Is he a finisher???

I've seen him get blown off the line in a run a few times.

So the question is for me is more about who he is as a worker. Can he be coached up? I dunno. I'd love to be in the interview.
This is pretty much what I have seen. He reminds me too much of Mitchell. We already have a Mitchell.

Besides I really believe we need to get two startes with our first two picks. If I'm going to draft a guy for the future it's going to be Hunt.
Old 04-25-2013   #153
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is pretty much what I have seen. He reminds me too much of Mitchell. We already have a Mitchell.

Besides I really believe we need to get two startes with our first two picks. If I'm going to draft a guy for the future it's going to be Hunt.
I think if we drafted Hunt he could play a bunch on passing downs as an edge rusher. Kind of like how Aldon Smith was used his rookie season. Out of him, Reed, and Merciless and Braman and whomever....put your best two edge rusher on the field and let them provide some pressure and collapse the pocket from the edge.

Hunt is not ready to play as a full time starter though....so while he would be mainly a pick for the future...I do think he could help immediately in passing situatons.

If you can, go back and look at him when he plays on the edge rushing the passer when it's a definite pass vs. how he plays when he's in the middle...It's a pretty big difference...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #154
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
This sounds just like Rick/Gary never take a chance on greatness, always take the safe route.
Cushing? Watt? Okoye? Brown?

These guys weren't choices where a chance was taken? A suspected drug-user, a motor-only guy, a 12 year old, and a guy widely regarded as a "reach"?

I disagree with your assessment.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #155
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Let me add to this statement, unless we draft him with the intention of playing him at OLB.
Old 04-25-2013   #156
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Cushing? Watt? Okoye? Brown?

These guys weren't choices where a chance was taken? A suspected drug-user, a motor-only guy, a 12 year old, and a guy widely regarded as a "reach"?

I disagree with your assessment.
And they drafted Okoye over Willis who IMO was the safest pick in the draft! I couldn't believe they did that.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read