Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-24-2013   #81
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34647 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dre is asking for a #2 WR

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
AJ's performance with Schaub shows that is not an issue which needs to be brought up every time WR's are discussed.
I don't think the talent of AJ is available in this draft, and feel that his talent contributes more to his numbers than the talent of our QB. In fact some have said that if he were playing with a different QB his numbers would be unmatched to this point in his career. Of course not having another serious threat across the field hasn't helped either one of them. Matt targets AJ way too much in situations that AJ isn't open because the D knows he is going to AJ. Catch 22 I guess.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013   #82
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
Not really. When considering using a high pick on a WR, you have to be sure what you have at QB. No use purchasing that nice shiny new goose-neck trailer, if the only vehicle you have is a Vespa.
Exactly.

Stats Geeks love him, though. Pleasantly predictable, reliable production...until the wheels fall off at all the wrong times.
Old 04-24-2013   #83
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not going to argue about Schaub any more in this thread. Please note the title of the thread - it isn't Dre asking for a new QB.
Old 04-24-2013   #84
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess you answer when asked, but Dre doesnt need to focus on something he cant control. I dont believe that Rick Smith calculates Dre's desires into the Texans draft decisions. If he really wants a #2 WR so badly he can take a pay cut and take one for the team. Litteraly.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013   #85
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Lots I can't see pass my hatred of schuab thinking in this thread. of course, you get better weapons for the QB POSITION. Nothing makes average to okay player look better than people who can do lots of his job for him...i.e. get wide the hell open, catch the ball ,a nd run after the catch.

More importantly, let's assume that Schuab lives down to your expection and gets cut in the next year or two. The texans competing with some other team for whatever free agent Qb who happens to hit the market. the money is close enough. that guys start to look at what he has around him to work with. A truly aging Andre and Owen, foster with a couple more years of carries on his legs, and still hoping on leStar jean for the fourth year in a row. dude goes somewhere else because they got something work with and you will turn to how "Rick Smith sucks" all the time posting.

You upgrade WR for your football team, not for Matt Schuab.
Old 04-24-2013   #86
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
I guess you answer when asked, but Dre doesnt need to focus on something he cant control. I dont believe that Rick Smith calculates Dre's desires into the Texans draft decisions. If he really wants a #2 WR so badly he can take a pay cut and take one for the team. Litteraly.
Look up. Higher..

higher. That little speck you see way up there, that's 'caks point.
Old 04-24-2013   #87
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

I expect we draft a Monster TE before we draft a WR jus saying
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013   #88
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
I expect we draft a Monster TE before we draft a WR jus saying
Wouldn't bother me if they drafted Eifert in the 1st.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #89
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Draft picks are relatively cheap now, I'm not sure why Dre would have to take a pay cut in order to draft a WR
Old 04-25-2013   #90
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Draft picks are relatively cheap now, I'm not sure why Dre would have to take a pay cut in order to draft a WR
Sorry, wasnt clear on this. I meant if he wants a legit #2 in vet free agent form then take the pay cut. I am just not a big believer in rookie WR's, unless they are studs that usually go in the top 10. Generally speaking they are raw and either dont know how to run good routes, or have poor hands in NFL standards, or havent ever been asked to block.
Old 04-25-2013   #91
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sorry, wasnt clear on this. I meant if he wants a legit #2 in vet free agent form then take the pay cut. I am just not a big believer in rookie WR's, unless they are studs that usually go in the top 10. Generally speaking they are raw and either dont know how to run good routes, or have poor hands in NFL standards, or havent ever been asked to block.
Give me a few examples of top players who took an actual pay cut, not a restructure to still get as much or more money but push the cap hit into future years.
Old 04-25-2013   #92
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Give me a few examples of top players who took an actual pay cut, not a restructure to still get as much or more money but push the cap hit into future years.
Cak, I am not actually expecting him to take a pay cut. But I feel like we are getting lost on my position which is that if Dre seriously wants a #2 WR then they need to go get a vet, because I dont believe any of these rookies especially those available around 27 will be actual #2 caliber receivers.

The only way to afford a vet, #2 caliber receiver is if cap space is freed up somewhere.
Old 04-25-2013   #93
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Cak, I am not actually expecting him to take a pay cut. But I feel like we are getting lost on my position which is that if Dre seriously wants a #2 WR then they need to go get a vet, because I dont believe any of these rookies especially those available around 27 will be actual #2 caliber receivers.

The only way to afford a vet, #2 caliber receiver is if cap space is freed up somewhere.
I am not completely in disagreement with your point about a vet although I haven't reviewed who is available which makes a difference. But there have been a bunch of people implying AJ is somehow being selfish. Fact is I am sure AJ would be more than willing to restructure if asked - basically every player would because it puts more money in their pocket now.
Old 04-25-2013   #94
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34647 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

AJ isn't selfish, and I doubt he really even "asked" for another receiver to be drafted in the first round. He responded to a question from a reporter and it was blown out of proportion as usual. Especially when McClain is involved. AJ just wants to win I am sure.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #95
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

actually lookin at the numbers last year andre is actually made less then a lot of guys in the NFL

Sidney rice
Larry Fitz
Aquan boldin
Jennings
wes welker
heyward bay

Calvin Johnson and V jackon are making MONSTER NUMBERS
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read