Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-29-2013   #221
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What's the next move for the Texans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
I hear ya. He's a cheap vet though. It probably wont be him but it will be something in that mold. People clamoring for something sexier with more name recognition are going to be dissapointed.
Yeah, we're definitely going to have to go that route. I still say Ramses Barden is the guy I would gamble on. And yes it is a gamble, but if we hit on this one then it'll be a big hit.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013   #222
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I bet he would bite Rick Smith for insulting him like that. He is a caveman after all...
Well, the last time Winston complained that the Texans didn't even talk to him.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013   #223
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 249243 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Well, the last time Winston complained that the Texans didn't even talk to him.
When I sold cars for a living, it was my job to talk to people "just looking" the idea was to get them talking about owning the vehicle, & the cost of buying it. One technique, was to throw numbers out there & see what you get. Try to find out where their head is. If they're way under.... wanting to take a $5,000 premium from sticker, we let them go, find another person "just looking"

(& I'm just throwing $5,000 out there. Sometimes that's doable, sometimes it's not)

But if they are in the ballpark, my job is then to get them to make the decision to buy that day.

Now, I know $40,000 is pittence to RickSmith & EricWinston, but the principle is the same. I'd like to think he, or someone directed by him threw some numbers at Winston, or his agent & he thought they were too far apart to even bother with a "deal"

Eric may not have known he was in "negotiation" but a person like RickSmith should live & die by the salesman mantra, "Always be closing."
Old 03-29-2013   #224
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 264718 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
When I sold cars for a living, it was my job to talk to people "just looking" the idea was to get them talking about owning the vehicle, & the cost of buying it. One technique, was to throw numbers out there & see what you get. Try to find out where their head is. If they're way under.... wanting to take a $5,000 premium from sticker, we let them go, find another person "just looking"

(& I'm just throwing $5,000 out there. Sometimes that's doable, sometimes it's not)

But if they are in the ballpark, my job is then to get them to make the decision to buy that day.

Now, I know $40,000 is pittence to RickSmith & EricWinston, but the principle is the same. I'd like to think he, or someone directed by him threw some numbers at Winston, or his agent & he thought they were too far apart to even bother with a "deal"

Eric may not have known he was in "negotiation" but a person like RickSmith should live & die by the salesman mantra, "Always be closing."
MSR.

Cool story and a reasonable idea. That's probably what happened.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013   #225
bobbeaux
Rookie

Rep Power: 595 bobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I suspect the next serious "shopping flurry" won't happen until after the draft is over and OTAs start. And maybe not until the June 1st cuts happen. We might see onesies and twosies between now and then but nothing more.
it appears this is what is happening . . . there's still at least depth value out there, but not a lot of money available . . . looks like there will be lots of players playing at the vet minimum . . . ready to see how the draft fills in some of the blanks . . .
bobbeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013   #226
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 54152 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
...Eric may not have known he was in "negotiation" but a person like RickSmith should live & die by the salesman mantra, "Always be closing."
Anyone know if sports agents are bound by legal obligation to present all offers, similar to real estate agents?
Old 04-10-2013   #227
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
Anyone know if sports agents are bound by legal obligation to present all offers, similar to real estate agents?
I am 98% sure that they are not obligated to present any much less all offers. If somebody can contradict this, I am willing to listen.
Old 04-10-2013   #228
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 264718 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
Well, maybe FORMAL offers... but I think a lot of what they do is just shooting the breeze and getting a feel for where the other party's head is at.
Old 04-10-2013   #229
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

If an offer is not formal, it can't be legal.
If it's not legal, I don't see how an agent can be held liable for anything.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #230
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153912 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry just had to bump this thread...the next move for your Texans is to trade #27 for a second and third. please, please, please. It would be worth watching the entire first round and delaying my gratification another day.
Old 04-23-2013   #231
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 27197 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Sorry just had to bump this thread...the next move for your Texans is to trade #27 for a second and third. please, please, please. It would be worth watching the entire first round and delaying my gratification another day.
If Minter and Ogletree are gone in the first then yes.
revan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #232
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by revan View Post
If Minter and Ogletree are gone in the first then yes.
I don't think Ogletree is an option. He is a knucklehead & has proven that on multiple occasions. We all know that's not a Texan type player. I honestly believe he is a suspension waiting to happen & could be the next R. McClain, which is a complete waste of talent.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013   #233
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12118 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They would, but if Leon Sandcastle falls to us, you gotta take him!!

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013   #234
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Actually, it is to draft somebody we have talked about, but is not really anyone's target player and/or position.
Old 04-24-2013   #235
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 27197 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
I don't think Ogletree is an option. He is a knucklehead & has proven that on multiple occasions. We all know that's not a Texan type player. I honestly believe he is a suspension waiting to happen & could be the next R. McClain, which is a complete waste of talent.
No way is he even in the same level as Rolando McClain, but I do see where you are coming from. In my mock draft I have Minter in the first and Robert Woods in the second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurvinator11 View Post
Bro, that Sandcastle joke is getting so annoying, especially after seeing him interview "himself" as Sandcastle on NFL network. Jeez if Deion's ego wasn't big enough before it is now.
revan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013   #236
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Bro, that Sandcastle joke is getting so annoying, especially after seeing him interview "himself" as Sandcastle on NFL network. Jeez if Deion's ego wasn't big enough before it is now.
We had some comments about that a couple of weeks ago. I hate it that they're wasting time with this un-funny crap when they could be covering something like... oh... maybe... the NFL?
Old 04-24-2013   #237
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12118 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Man, I was just joking. Don't have to get so upset about it. Plus, why waste your time watching NFL network? Bunch of clowns on there anyway. Just hang out on the mock draft sub forum for all the draft news you want. Much better than NFL network.

Old 04-24-2013   #238
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153912 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurvinator11 View Post
You know I am a speed guy but not sure if Sandcastle has much upside. My sources tell me he is more athlete than player and not sure if he has durability. He looks older than he is I think and may not be a good selection.
Old 04-24-2013   #239
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Quote:
You know I am a speed guy but not sure if Sandcastle has much upside. My sources tell me he is more athlete than player and not sure if he has durability. He looks older than he is I think and may not be a good selection.
I'll give you that. I also think he might wear a wig....that's just me though.

Old 04-24-2013   #240
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 14238 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Man that would be dope. Fingers crossed
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read