Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

View Poll Results: Who will the Texans take in the first round?
Jesse Williams, NT Bama 2 4.00%
DeAndre Hopkins, WR Clemson 18 36.00%
Keenan Allen, WR Cal 4 8.00%
Cordarrelle Patterson, WR Tenn 3 6.00%
Tyler Eifert, TE Notre Dame 4 8.00%
Johnathan Cooper, OG UNC 0 0%
Menelik Watson, OT Florida State 3 6.00%
Manti Te'o, LB Notre Dame 2 4.00%
Kevin Minter, ILB LSU 2 4.00%
Other! List who and why? 12 24.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-23-2013   #21
jppaul
Cut and Dry

Rep Power: 1193 jppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: With the 27th pick in the draft, the Houston Texans select...

I don't think Patterson will be there so I went Hunter/other
jppaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #22
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Out of that list...

Cooper
Williams
Eifert
Hopkins

Not sure any of those guys will be available at 27, though.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #23
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
The bolded is confusing to me. What is it that Hunt can do that Short cant? Right now Short is head Nd shoulders above Hunt in every aspect of the game. The only thing Hunt has on Short at this point is that he's a better athlete. There's reall no comparison in the two as far as what they are capable of doing on the football field.

Hunt is a project player. There is a huge gamble in taking him. Great athletes dont always translate to great players. You can say he has a higher ceiling based on his physical abilities but at the same time you have to realize he has a way lower floor. He is similar to Okoye when we drafted him. Not sure at this point we should be gambling on upside. IMO we need to go for more experienced guys that have proven themselves consistently against top competition.
Agreed

Although I wouldn't be upset if Hunt was the pick at 27.

If your looking for just an amazing athlete to train on the DL. Lawrence Okoye in the 4th-6th rd represents better value than Hunt in the 1st.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #24
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The bolded is confusing to me. What is it that Hunt can do that Short cant?
Hunt is by far the superior athlete. It's not even close.

Hunt has the tools to be one of the dominant front 7 players in all of football.

Of course that doesn't mean it'll pan out like that. That can be said for any prospect.

But as far as natural ability, Hunt is leaps and bounds ahead of short.

People keep saying Hunt is just an athlete...I would have to question your film watching because the dude can play football. He's not just some combine show off. Dude is a good football player.

Even if you look at film alone ignoring athletic numbers, Hunt stacks up favorably among some of the better DLinemen in this class.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #25
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

If your looking for just an amazing athlete to train on the DL. Lawrence Okoye in the 4th-6th rd represents better value than Hunt in the 1st.
This is a prime example. Okoye has 0 football film. Hunt has been playing for a few years and has made plays against some good teams.

Margus Hunt is a good football player. His freakish athleticism and size give him the potential to be great. We don't know how he'll play in the NFL, but he's more than just an athlete at this point. He's a football player. Look at his film.

We don't even know if Okoye can put his pads on right.
Old 04-23-2013   #26
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
He is similar to Okoye when we drafted him.
Now this I don't understand.

Okoye was a top ten pick...He came out and was the youngest player to ever play in the NFL. Ever. Margus Hunt is 25 and will likely be picked at the end of the first round. Coming out of college Margus Hunt has spent more time as a DE than JJ Watt did. He spent more time at DE than Connor Barwin did.

Hunt has been playing DE for 4 years.

I think there's a huge misconception about Hunt by some. He's been playing football for a while now and has gotten better over time. Dude's not just some great athlete that has not played a lick of football...

I think at worst Hunt is a solid starter in a year or two. I think at best he's a dominant player in the front 7.
Old 04-23-2013   #27
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

Okoye was a top ten pick...He came out and was the youngest player to ever play in the NFL. Ever. Margus Hunt is 25 and will likely be picked at the end of the first round. Coming out of college Margus Hunt has spent more time as a DE than JJ Watt did. He spent more time at DE than Connor Barwin did.

I think there's a huge misconception about Hunt by some. He's been playing football for a while now and has gotten better over time. Dude's not just some great athlete that has not played a lick of football...

I think at worst Hunt is a solid starter in a year or two. I think at best he's a dominant player in the front 7.
The more I hear/read about and see this guy play the more I like him. I think he's gonna be a HOSS! I wouldn't be disappointed in the least.

But...I clicked DeAndre Hopkins. I feel sure he can step in day ONE and be an impact player and Rick Smith is on record countless times saying that's what he looks for in the draft. JMHO of course.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013   #28
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94431 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

I love Hunt and would happy as hell if our scouts thought he was the good enough to draft with our first pick. I said a long time ago he would be the perfect player to put under Watts wing. I just think he is risky because he is so raw.

Yes he played 4 years at SMU but he had no clue what football even was before that. Four years in conference USA without ever having played before doesn't make a great résumé. I will say this, he improved every year and looked really good late last season although he wasn't going against great competition.

He is getting drafted more for his potential than what he has shown on the field in actual games. That is why I compared him to Okoye and why I don't think we will go down that road again.
Old 04-24-2013   #29
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted other because I have a feeling it will be a typical didnt see that coming pick. But I think a DL pass rusher is in our future.

Jesse Williams - DT needs to be quick. Not just huge.
DeAndre Hopkins - Strong possibility.
Keenan Allen - Strong possibility.

Cordarrelle Patterson - Strong possibility.
Tyler Eifert - Strong possibility with TE a big need. But I think he goes around 20.
Johnathan Cooper - Guard in first round? Texans like guards in the 3rd-4th round. I like Wade Smith, Brandon Brooks and Ben Jones.
Menelik Watson - RT in first round for a ZBS? Use a 3rd rounder on RT if you must.
Manti Te'o - Antonio Smith might make fun of him. Alot. :P
Kevin Minter, ILB LSU - Not enough difference between Minter in round 1 when we could get a player like Bostic in round 3.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013   #30
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

The Buffalo Bills select Ryan Nassib, QB Syracuse. We move down to 41 and get a few more picks. 41 offers some good players at great value.
Old 04-24-2013   #31
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
I voted other because I have a feeling it will be a typical didnt see that coming pick. But I think a DL pass rusher is in our future.

Jesse Williams - DT needs to be quick. Not just huge.
DeAndre Hopkins - Strong possibility.
Keenan Allen - Strong possibility.

Cordarrelle Patterson - Strong possibility.
Tyler Eifert - Strong possibility with TE a big need. But I think he goes around 20.
Johnathan Cooper - Guard in first round? Texans like guards in the 3rd-4th round. I like Wade Smith, Brandon Brooks and Ben Jones.
Menelik Watson - RT in first round for a ZBS? Use a 3rd rounder on RT if you must.
Manti Te'o - Antonio Smith might make fun of him. Alot. :P
Kevin Minter, ILB LSU - Not enough difference between Minter in round 1 when we could get a player like Bostic in round 3.
Curious as to how you determined TE a big need? We have a very good starter and back up with end of roster filled with potential. I would not be shocked if we draft a TE but not before day 3.
Old 04-24-2013   #32
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I love Hunt and would happy as hell if our scouts thought he was the good enough to draft with our first pick. I said a long time ago he would be the perfect player to put under Watts wing. I just think he is risky because he is so raw.

Yes he played 4 years at SMU but he had no clue what football even was before that. Four years in conference USA without ever having played before doesn't make a great résumé. I will say this, he improved every year and looked really good late last season although he wasn't going against great competition.

He is getting drafted more for his potential than what he has shown on the field in actual games. That is why I compared him to Okoye and why I don't think we will go down that road again.
I seldom focused on Hunt as he did nothing to catch my eye other than his blocked kicks. Short astounded me with his play and motor especially at bowl. Hunt could become great but based on what I have seen, he is not on Kawaan Short's level, today. We all have opinions and that is all they are.
Old 04-24-2013   #33
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Curious as to how you determined TE a big need? We have a very good starter and back up with end of roster filled with potential. I would not be shocked if we draft a TE but not before day 3.
First off, we all know a dynamic TE can be a matchup nightmare. OD is due 4.5 million base salary next year. And for a TE that is over 30 who is really more of a pass catching TE, that is alot of mula that can be spread around when you are paying a rookie TE a million in base salary per year for the first four years.

Graham had a pair of concussions last year. Unfortunately I am just not that confident that he will not get more in the future. Other than that we have unknowns.

Texans have an opportunity to add a guy like Zach Ertz, who has sneaky quickness and can create missmatches with his size. He is also a willing blocker who is not afraid to stick his pads in there and open up lanes for Stepfan Taylor.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013   #34
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I seldom focused on Hunt as he did nothing to catch my eye other than his blocked kicks. Short astounded me with his play and motor especially at bowl. Hunt could become great but based on what I have seen, he is not on Kawaan Short's level, today. We all have opinions and that is all they are.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgNUN-Sqj_Y

That is Hunt at the Hawaii bowl against Fresno State.

He is much better off the edges than he is in the middle right now...But that's the exact role I see him in at this point. Let him come in and provide some pressure off the edges on passing downs...That's exactly what we need.

But I don't get your assessment of him only blocking kicks and not doing much else. Dude had 8 sacks this past season...

He has some things he needs to work on for sure, but off the edge he shows power, quicknes and explosion....He is also surprisingly good with his hands...
Old 04-24-2013   #35
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96241 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it'll be Hopkins. Can't say i'd be upset, but i think i've made my feelings known about who i think is the better prospect long term.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013   #36
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

To be honest, I don't see any player as being "WOW", we need him now. With that being said, I think we should take Tavon Austin, WR WVU. He has a smallish frame but is lighting quick and can help out on PR/KR.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013   #37
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Why no, trade completely OUT of the first round?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013   #38
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Why no, trade completely OUT of the first round?
How mad would you be if the Texans traded this year's 1st for a 1st in 2014 and another lower round pick this year?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013   #39
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12118 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
How mad would you be if the Texans traded this year's 1st for a 1st in 2014 and another lower round pick this year?
Depends on what team you trade to. I would be ecstatic if it was a team like the Browns, or the Cardinals. That could be a potential top 10 pick.

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013   #40
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

A week ago I would have voted for Hopkins, but with the Indy hotel incident I'm thinking they will draft another WR. Allen or Woods could be the pick but I'll go with Woods. To be honest I'm still not sure which way the Texans will go with the 27th pick and I'm sure they couldn't tell you right now what they will do either since no one really knows how this draft will fall. Personally, I hope we can trade back a little into the early 2nd round and pick up an extra pick, but I just don't know if they will find a trade partner. This could turn out to be a wild draft with a lot of surprises!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read