Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-23-2013   #81
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 42267 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Top 5 Best and Worst Draft picks in Texans History

How the Hell do you have a top 5 Texans draft list and include Ryans and Daniels but no AJ? WTF? Who ever wrote this article should be drug out in the streat and beaten.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #82
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 205206 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Here's the list on NFL.com. They have commentary for each pick. The bare bones list is:

Brown
Daniels
Ryans
Cushing
Watt

I would assume that Watt is #1 and Brown is #5, but it's hard to assume anything when they left off AJ. They do mention AJ in the Daniels summary:

Quote:
If the David Carr experiment was ever going to work for the Texans, they needed to (a) protect him better and (b) give him offensive weapons. Grabbing receiver Andre Johnson in the franchise's second-ever draft was a great start, and had he not been the third-overall pick he would have made this list.
Old 04-23-2013   #83
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 42267 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Here's the list on NFL.com. They have commentary for each pick. The bare bones list is:

Brown
Daniels
Ryans
Cushing
Watt

I would assume that Watt is #1 and Brown is #5, but it's hard to assume anything when they left off AJ. They do mention AJ in the Daniels summary:
That commentary doesn't even make sense. What does being the 3rd overall pick have anything to do it with it? By that logic Carr should be disqualified.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #84
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like they are going off of value in regards to where they were picked.

AJ was probably a no brainer. I think most people could have made that pick....I think the list is aiming at truly working to find players...

The guys that made the list didn't have to be chosen where they were and they weren't virtual locks to be chosen where we took them.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #85
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 7520 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

AJ was probably a no brainer. I think most people could have made that pick....I think the list is aiming at truly working to find players...

The guys that made the list didn't have to be chosen where they were and they weren't virtual locks to be chosen where we took them.
Not the lions...
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #86
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
That commentary doesn't even make sense. What does being the 3rd overall pick have anything to do it with it? By that logic Carr should be disqualified.
No it's the opposite. Carr should be listed as a bad pick because the higher the pick, the more likely the player is to be a great player. That's why all of their bad picks are first rounders, the failure is magnified in higher rounds. AJ being third pick and becoming who he is now isn't as significant as Duane Brown at #27 becoming a great LT (though I think AJ should be listed over Ryans). Teams are supposed to hit on top 10 picks, so it lessens the greatness of the pick. The Colts aren't exactly geniuses for picking Peyton and Luck #1 overall, but the Raiders are morons for taking Jamarcus Russell #1.
Old 04-23-2013   #87
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 32969 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

ESPN had Carr 3rd worst #1 QB ever taken, with Vick #4.

George 5th
Couch 2nd
Russell 1st
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #88
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 205206 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
ESPN had Carr 3rd worst #1 QB ever taken, with Vick #4.

George 5th
Couch 2nd
Russell 1st
That's letting one draft spot exclude Ryan Leaf, who was worse than even Russell, I think. Or maybe they're tied for worst ever.
Old 04-24-2013   #89
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55057 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

No, they're just stupid. Indy's list has Peyton AND Luck in the top 5 best picks.
Vance87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013   #90
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 164018 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post
No, they're just stupid. Indy's list has Peyton AND Luck in the top 5 best picks.
Well in that case, at a minimum, they're being inconsistent. The Luck pick was considered as much of a "no-brainer" as A.J. was when he was picked. Now you could make a very weak argument that there was somewhat of a choice between Peyton and Leaf back then.

But I'm with you, they're just stupid.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #91
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 24148 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't make Carr my number one worst because in a different situation he may have been okay.

Not Joppru's fault he was hurt all the time. Wasted talent and never know what we might have had.

Okoye is my number one worst pick. Sorry, but you don't burn your first round pick on a prospect. Who we passed on is always a kick in the balls as well. Travis Johnson runs a close second for me.

Number one best has always be Andre. Watt is making a serious run at the spot though.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read