Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

View Poll Results: Who will the Texans take in the first round?
Jesse Williams, NT Bama 2 4.00%
DeAndre Hopkins, WR Clemson 18 36.00%
Keenan Allen, WR Cal 4 8.00%
Cordarrelle Patterson, WR Tenn 3 6.00%
Tyler Eifert, TE Notre Dame 4 8.00%
Johnathan Cooper, OG UNC 0 0%
Menelik Watson, OT Florida State 3 6.00%
Manti Te'o, LB Notre Dame 2 4.00%
Kevin Minter, ILB LSU 2 4.00%
Other! List who and why? 12 24.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2013   #1
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default With the 27th pick in the draft, the Houston Texans select...

Who ya got and why?

Poll now complete and moved to college football???? The draft is like 2 days away! Boooo! =)
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: With the 27th pick in the draft, the Houston Texans select...

NT Hankins but I am hoping for trade down to second picking up another third.
Old 04-22-2013   #3
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 32969 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

BPA
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #4
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

I put Patterson. Mainly because that's who I think we are getting. Not to thrilled with anyone at our position.

Looks like thems the breaks when you put together a preceding playoff season...
Old 04-22-2013   #5
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

God I want a NT in the first in the worst way. However if all these guys were available I would go with the least sexy pick in cooper. He's a 10 to 12 year starter and pro bowler for us. Don't see anyone else on that list that can compete with that.
Old 04-22-2013   #6
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144668 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

DeAndre Hopkins, WR Clemson because he's more polished than the Tennessee guys and it's time the Texans spent a 1st on a WR .
Old 04-22-2013   #7
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Mostly, I just hope it really is the BPA. Next, I kind of hope it is a WR.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-22-2013   #8
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm going with Kevin Minter. I think we go LB in the 1st, WR 2nd, OT/OG, NT in the 3rd, S in 4th, and whatever after that.
Old 04-22-2013   #9
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

DeAndre Hopkins. Safest WR pick in the draft. He may not have the ceiling of Patterson but he sure has a much higher floor. Also although I sure wouldn't mind Kawann Short at #27, I think we can get Jesse Williams in the 2nd and I'd be happy with that as well.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #10
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79098 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

I might have to put my USC fanboy hat on and say Woods, though a trade down and Woods would be ideal.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I'm going with Kevin Minter. I think we go LB in the 1st, WR 2nd, OT/OG, NT in the 3rd, S in 4th, and whatever after that.
Depending on the players that would be a very good draft. Waiting to hit on a need in a later round is so risky, I tend to want to avoid that. For example, if I knew B. Williams NT would be there #89, I would be ecstatic. Minter is good but not the physical tackler I want. He had 111 tackles '12 but not sure if he holds up in NFL playing as he did for LSU. As you know, you cannot look just at size. Minter is right there with Klein, Te'o and Beauharnais, just not sure if same type of player. I mocked Minter early but backed up from him just a bit as season wore on. I could be wrong but I am concerned about him. He is very cerebral though and that could make him very good. I guess for me it is better to use a later round pick for similar player for a position rather than gamble on a first.
Old 04-22-2013   #12
RT22
Veteran

Rep Power: 3883 RT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Cyprien S FIU. He seems like a good fit for the Texans scheme.
RT22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #13
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Datone Jones or Damontre Moore

The need a premium pass rusher to take some of the pressure off of Watt.

Hopefully Short for the reasons stated above.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
DeAndre Hopkins. Safest WR pick in the draft. He may not have the ceiling of Patterson but he sure has a much higher floor. Also although I sure wouldn't mind Kawann Short at #27, I think we can get Jesse Williams in the 2nd and I'd be happy with that as well.
Hopkins has dropped (motel incident?) & so has Short. Wished there was a way we could get a NT and Short.

#27 for a second and third:

2nd round WR Hopkins or Twill and DT Kawaan Short (can play nose some but a off DT is best position)replaces Smith 2014.

3rd round a) NT Brandon Williams b) OLB Cornelius Washington c) WR Aaron Dobson

4th round CB/safety Terry Hawthorne

5th round ILB Steve Beuaharnais or Klein if still there.
Old 04-22-2013   #15
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I picked Manti Te'o because you get 2 players for 1. Him and his imaginary girlfriend who I assume is also a ILB.
Old 04-22-2013   #16
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

justin hunter
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #17
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Margus hunt. If he's not available Cornelius Carradine. Hunt is physically as gifted as any d line prospect you'll find. Plus he's a good football player with a good motor. He plays with a lot of energy. Even though he's 6'8" he plays with good leverage and good strength. Hunt is about as freakish an athlete as there is. But unlike some other guys, his athleticism translates to the football field. I think if Hunt was in a better conference or played more football he'd be a top 10 pick easily.

Hunt would be a rotation player this year and eventually replace Antonio.

I would even play some three man fronts with smith watt and hunt all in at once.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Margus hunt. If he's not available Cornelius Carradine. Hunt is physically as gifted as any d line prospect you'll find. Plus he's a good football player with a good motor. He plays with a lot of energy. Even though he's 6'8" he plays with good leverage and good strength. Hunt is about as freakish an athlete as there is. But unlike some other guys, his athleticism translates to the football field. I think if Hunt was in a better conference or played more football he'd be a top 10 pick easily.

Hunt would be a rotation player this year and eventually replace Antonio.

I would even play some three man fronts with smith watt and hunt all in at once.
Hunt over Kawan Short to replace Smith?
Old 04-22-2013   #19
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Hunt over Kawan Short to replace Smith?
Short is a nice player but he doesn't have near the ceiling that hunt has. I think if we got hunt at the end of the first it'd be a steal, whereas I think shorts value is late first early second.

I like shorts game, but he can't do a lot of the things hunt can do just from a pure ability standpoint. Hunts ceiling is very, very high.

I've gone back and forth over the last couple months and if we stay at 27 I think hunt provides the most value to this team in the short and long term.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #20
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Short is a nice player but he doesn't have near the ceiling that hunt has. I think if we got hunt at the end of the first it'd be a steal, whereas I think shorts value is late first early second.

I like shorts game, but he can't do a lot of the things hunt can do just from a pure ability standpoint. Hunts ceiling is very, very high.

I've gone back and forth over the last couple months and if we stay at 27 I think hunt provides the most value to this team in the short and long term.
The bolded is confusing to me. What is it that Hunt can do that Short cant? Right now Short is head Nd shoulders above Hunt in every aspect of the game. The only thing Hunt has on Short at this point is that he's a better athlete. There's reall no comparison in the two as far as what they are capable of doing on the football field.

Hunt is a project player. There is a huge gamble in taking him. Great athletes dont always translate to great players. You can say he has a higher ceiling based on his physical abilities but at the same time you have to realize he has a way lower floor. He is similar to Okoye when we drafted him. Not sure at this point we should be gambling on upside. IMO we need to go for more experienced guys that have proven themselves consistently against top competition.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read