Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013   #1
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame
 
steelbtexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Age: 52
Posts: 12,599
Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Steel B's Final Mock

Rd.1 Kawan Short NT, 6'3, 299, 5.09, Short is the perfect penetrating NT in Wade's defense. He commands double teams.

Rd.2 Da'Rick Rodgers WR, 6'2, 217, 4.52, Best WR in the draft is perfect WR for WC offense, breaks tackles and gets alot of YAC. Great hands, this pick came down to Rodgers (Pot) vs Swope (Concussions) I chose Rodgers with King God'ell cracking down on the concussion thingy.

Rd.3 Cornelius Washington OLB, 6'4, 265, 4.55, Washinton is the most athletic of all the highly rated Georgia LB's. He played the strong side mostly which allowed Jones and Ogletree to get all of the glory.

Rd. 3 Tyler Bray,QB 6'6 232, 5.05, The Texans will be lucky if he falls this far, great value, Anybody that has read my posts knows my thoughts on Bray. My #1 QB in this draft.

Ed.4 Reid Fragel,OT, 6'8, 308, 5.15, Former TE, great feet, strongest OT at the combine, plays with a mean streak. I would trade up to get him if I had too.

Rd.5 Cooper Taylor,S, 6'4, 229, 4.49, Big, fast, smart (Went to Ga.Tech at begining of career) S. Will hit you, seems to always be around the ball.

Rd.6 Jake Stoneburner, TE, 6'4 252, 4.62, Reminds me of OD, great receiver, played with poor throwing QB's, underrated blocker

Rd.6 Micheal Mauti, ILB, great leader, coming off 2nd ACL, dynamic player reminds me of Sean Lee, would've been my pick for the Texans at 27 except for the ACL. Good time to take a chance on a guy like Mauti.

Rd.7 Uzoma Nwachukwu, WR, 5'11 198, 4.40, 10'10 BJ, 39'5 vert. Great athlete, speed to stretch the field, good hands, learned pro system under sherman so he should be ready to play right away. Was under used in college. IMHO

This draft has Reed moving to ILB.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated, I think most of the holes are filled with some of the best athletes that were at the combine in the appropriate rds. Using CBS and the TT Mock Draft as a guideline.

Thoughts

Last edited by Dutchrudder; 04-22-2013 at 06:08 PM. Reason: spacing :)
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #2
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame
 
Lurvinator11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The Woodlands/ Huntsville
Section: My Couch
Posts: 1,478
Rep Power: 12118 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Steel B's Final Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Rd.1 Kawan Short NT, 6'3, 299, 5.09, Short is the perfect penetrating NT in Wade's defense. He commands double teams.
Rd.2 Da'Rick Rodgers WR, 6'2, 217, 4.52, Best WR in the draft is perfect WR for WC offense, breaks tackles and gets alot of YAC. Great hands, this pick came down to Rodgers (Pot) vs Swope (Concussions) I chose Rodgers with King God'ell cracking down on the concussion thingy.
Rd.3 Cornelius Washington OLB, 6'4, 265, 4.55, Washinton is the most athletic of all the highly rated Georgia LB's. He played the strong side mostly which allowed Jones and Ogletree to get all of the glory.
Rd. 3 Tyler Bray,QB 6'6 232, 5.05, The Texans will be lucky if he falls this far, great value, Anybody that has read my posts knows my thoughts on Bray. My #1 QB in this draft.
Ed.4 Reid Fragel,OT, 6'8, 308, 5.15, Former TE, great feet, strongest OT at the combine, plays with a mean streak. I would trade up to get him if I had too.
Rd.5 Cooper Taylor,S, 6'4, 229, 4.49, Big, fast, smart (Went to Ga.Tech at begining of career) S. Will hit you, seems to always be around the ball.
Rd.6 Jake Stoneburner, TE, 6'4 252, 4.62, Reminds me of OD, great receiver, played with poor throwing QB's, underrated blocker
Rd.6 Micheal Mauti, ILB, great leader, coming off 2nd ACL, dynamic player reminds me of Sean Lee, would've been my pick for the Texans at 27 except for the ACL. Good time to take a chance on a guy like Mauti.
Rd.7 Uzoma Nwachukwu, WR, 5'11 198, 4.40, 10'10 BJ, 39'5 vert. Great athlete, speed to stretch the field, good hands, learned pro system under sherman so he should be ready to play right away. Was under used in college. IMHO

This draft has Reed moving to ILB.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated, I think most of the holes are filled with some of the best athletes that were at the combine in the appropriate rds. Using CBS and the TT Mock Draft as a guideline.

Thoughts
I think swapping Taylor for Bray would be more likely. I highly doubt Bray would be there in the 5th, but I'd rather take Cooper when we know he will be there, as opposed to taking what would be the 5th QB on the roster. Other than that, good draft. I really like Mauti as well, just hope he can stay on the field.
__________________
Texans 19 Cowboys 10. Played on my 10th birthday. Lifelong fan.

Mallet: The Texas Hammer!
Lurvinator11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #3
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame
 
YoungTexanFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,800
Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Steel B's Final Mock

I'm a fan of this draft. We get the most talented WR and QB in the draft (not most polished/best) and a NT in the mold of Ratliff. We get some LB help and some solid depth at TE and OT.
__________________
The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we had when we created them.
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #4
Corrosion
Hall of Fame
 
Corrosion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Northwest Houston
Age: 46
Posts: 31,942
Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Steel B's Final Mock

You know I like the first three .... I had all three at those spots in the TT member mock. (copy cat )

To be honest , I think they could move back 10 spots or so and still get Short while picking up an additional pick maybe a 2 & 3 or 4 the latter you could use on an ILB as there are several who I think present value in the 4th round.


I like the rest of it too .... You addressed OT where I didnt get around to it in time.

I could live with Bray at that comp pick but Im still not sold on any of this years QB's being successful in the NFL.

Cooper Taylor is a better version of Dester McCoil who I took in the 7th in the TT Mock. Big , fast and will lay the lumber. Gives them someone to match up with those damn TE's in dime packages.


I think Jake Stoneburner will play a decade in the NFL ....
__________________



I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor
 
beerlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 12,556
Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Steel B's Final Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Rd.1 Kawan Short NT, 6'3, 299, 5.09, Short is the perfect penetrating NT in Wade's defense. He commands double teams.

Rd.2 Da'Rick Rodgers WR, 6'2, 217, 4.52, Best WR in the draft is perfect WR for WC offense, breaks tackles and gets alot of YAC. Great hands, this pick came down to Rodgers (Pot) vs Swope (Concussions) I chose Rodgers with King God'ell cracking down on the concussion thingy.

Rd.3 Cornelius Washington OLB, 6'4, 265, 4.55, Washinton is the most athletic of all the highly rated Georgia LB's. He played the strong side mostly which allowed Jones and Ogletree to get all of the glory.

Rd. 3 Tyler Bray,QB 6'6 232, 5.05, The Texans will be lucky if he falls this far, great value, Anybody that has read my posts knows my thoughts on Bray. My #1 QB in this draft.

Ed.4 Reid Fragel,OT, 6'8, 308, 5.15, Former TE, great feet, strongest OT at the combine, plays with a mean streak. I would trade up to get him if I had too.

Rd.5 Cooper Taylor,S, 6'4, 229, 4.49, Big, fast, smart (Went to Ga.Tech at begining of career) S. Will hit you, seems to always be around the ball.

Rd.6 Jake Stoneburner, TE, 6'4 252, 4.62, Reminds me of OD, great receiver, played with poor throwing QB's, underrated blocker

Rd.6 Micheal Mauti, ILB, great leader, coming off 2nd ACL, dynamic player reminds me of Sean Lee, would've been my pick for the Texans at 27 except for the ACL. Good time to take a chance on a guy like Mauti.

Rd.7 Uzoma Nwachukwu, WR, 5'11 198, 4.40, 10'10 BJ, 39'5 vert. Great athlete, speed to stretch the field, good hands, learned pro system under sherman so he should be ready to play right away. Was under used in college. IMHO

This draft has Reed moving to ILB.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated, I think most of the holes are filled with some of the best athletes that were at the combine in the appropriate rds. Using CBS and the TT Mock Draft as a guideline.

Thoughts
you do a fine job filling needs but color me not sold on these prospects being Texan worthy?
If Rick would sign off on them then fine, you have an interior DL, #2 WR with eye towards furture #1, OLB as Merciuls fill Barwin starting role, QB of future (sorry TJ & Case) Fragel gives Texans OT depth, see Cooper Taylor a lot lately guess size does matter, TE & ILB depth as well.

Is Reed confirmed moving to ILB? I think he could take a few snaps there but just think he would get exposed in coverage too much, just because Brian can pull it off doesn't mean Brooks has the feet & change in direction skills, better off pressing the edges after the QB.

I know how much work goes into these things so rep your way
__________________

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #6
Corrosion
Hall of Fame
 
Corrosion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Northwest Houston
Age: 46
Posts: 31,942
Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Steel B's Final Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Is Reed confirmed moving to ILB?
No , this is not confirmed .... It is a possibility probably dictated by which position they fill with the better player between ILB & OLB.

He was in coverage quite often with TE's and RB's from the OLB spot , I dont think its that big a stretch for him to do it from the inside.
__________________



I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #7
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame
 
aussie_texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,336
Rep Power: 21346 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Steel B's Final Mock

Only have to issues with this mock bray and mauti.

in the same round i think i would rather have pough from howard. i just prefer him more as a prospect.

i understand your admiration for Bray but im too pumped for next years QBs to be happy with this pick. Other then Bray and mauti i would be very very happy with this draft

nice work
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-23-2013   #8
Corrosion
Hall of Fame
 
Corrosion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Northwest Houston
Age: 46
Posts: 31,942
Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Steel B's Final Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
Only have to issues with this mock bray and mauti.

in the same round i think i would rather have pough from howard. i just prefer him more as a prospect.

i understand your admiration for Bray but im too pumped for next years QBs to be happy with this pick. Other then Bray and mauti i would be very very happy with this draft

nice work
Next years QB's ..... Where are you going to have to draft that guy at.

I expect the Texans to have another solid season in 2013 ... they will not likely be in position to draft one of the premium QB prospects (without a move up). I find it doubtful they find a rookie starter in the 3rd , Seattle got damn lucky.

Im not sold on Bray .... But unless Schaub takes this team to the Superbowl , I dont see him on the team in 2014 .... and his replacement probably isnt on the roster.

It'll only cost them 9m , prorated over three seasons Vs the cap to cut Schaub after next year ....

If they can get a QB they believe in somewhere in rounds 3-4 ..... I think they do it .... looking beyond Schaub.
__________________



I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #9
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame
 
aussie_texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,336
Rep Power: 21346 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Steel B's Final Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Next years QB's ..... Where are you going to have to draft that guy at.

I expect the Texans to have another solid season in 2013 ... they will not likely be in position to draft one of the premium QB prospects (without a move up). I find it doubtful they find a rookie starter in the 3rd , Seattle got damn lucky.

Im not sold on Bray .... But unless Schaub takes this team to the Superbowl , I dont see him on the team in 2014 .... and his replacement probably isnt on the roster.

It'll only cost them 9m , prorated over three seasons Vs the cap to cut Schaub after next year ....

If they can get a QB they believe in somewhere in rounds 3-4 ..... I think they do it .... looking beyond Schaub.
i think there could be at around 4 1st round graded QBs next year. unlike this year which maybe doesnt have one. One of them will be available at the 32 pick and even if we must move up 10spots it doesn't cost as much as years gone by
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #10
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame
 
Wolf6151's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pearland, Texas
Posts: 3,434
Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Steel B's Final Mock

Love the mock draft. I only have one real issue with it and a couple nit pik issues. 1. Your waiting until the 5th round to take a secondary player. We have good starters but we have minimal depth. We need a quality CB and/or Safety earlier, that #3 Safety plays alot of snaps, alot more than a backup O-lineman or a QB that won't see the field for another 2 yrs.. 2. The 6th and 7th round guys I think could be a little better. Instead of Stoneburner I'd take a chance on Lucas Reed's athleticism as a receiver or Michael Williams as a blocker, depending on what you want at TE. I'm not familiar with that 7th round WR at all, so I'll just have to trust you on that one. I do like the added WR depth, the position chosen in the 7th.

Overall, very good job.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #11
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame
 
steelbtexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Age: 52
Posts: 12,599
Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Steel B's Final Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Love the mock draft. I only have one real issue with it and a couple nit pik issues. 1. Your waiting until the 5th round to take a secondary player. We have good starters but we have minimal depth. We need a quality CB and/or Safety earlier, that #3 Safety plays alot of snaps, alot more than a backup O-lineman or a QB that won't see the field for another 2 yrs.. 2. The 6th and 7th round guys I think could be a little better. Instead of Stoneburner I'd take a chance on Lucas Reed's athleticism as a receiver or Michael Williams as a blocker, depending on what you want at TE. I'm not familiar with that 7th round WR at all, so I'll just have to trust you on that one. I do like the added WR depth, the position chosen in the 7th.

Overall, very good job.
This yrs S group is very deep. In other yrs Taylor would go in the 3rd rd. Heck, Luvinator wants Taylor in the 3rd rd. The Texans need a QB that can sit and learn next yr and be ready to play in 2014. That guy, (Yates/Case/McGhee) may already be on the roster. But if my #1 ranked QB is on the board in rd 3 I'm picking him.

Stoneburner is a good blocker and an above avg receiver. A better version of OD coming out of college. I do like Reed and Williams alot though.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #12
76Texan
Hall of Fame
 
76Texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,568
Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Steel B's Final Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
You know I like the first three .... I had all three at those spots in the TT member mock. (copy cat )

To be honest , I think they could move back 10 spots or so and still get Short while picking up an additional pick maybe a 2 & 3 or 4 the latter you could use on an ILB as there are several who I think present value in the 4th round.


I like the rest of it too .... You addressed OT where I didnt get around to it in time.

I could live with Bray at that comp pick but Im still not sold on any of this years QB's being successful in the NFL.

Cooper Taylor is a better version of Dester McCoil who I took in the 7th in the TT Mock. Big , fast and will lay the lumber. Gives them someone to match up with those damn TE's in dime packages.


I think Jake Stoneburner will play a decade in the NFL ....
I don't really care for a receiver in the seventh round. Give me a RB (James or whatever his name at Miami?)to compete for the third spot or a tall CB that needs work on technique like the UCLA guy (Sheldon Price?)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #13
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame
 
steelbtexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Age: 52
Posts: 12,599
Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Steel B's Final Mock

There is a S prospect that I hope the Texans sign as an UDFA, he probably wont get drafted due to tearing his ACL and playing football at McNeese St. just like his uncle Zack Bronson. Both are from Jasper, Tx and are great players. Zack Bronson was a starting S for the 49ers for yrs and his nephew Malcolm Bronson has the same type of potential.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger