Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-22-2013   #41
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Step it up, Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
Good post Evolist. It's one reason I don't see NT as high as many. Unless Wade is changing the defense the NT is not on the field for the Texans as much as other 3-4 defenses. On top of that Mitchell did outplay Cody and is good for penetrating which Wade likes.

Though with that said, if one of the top DT's fall (and there is a slight chance of it) to 27 then I think they should grab him and adjust the defense a bit. Have to adjust to your personnel after all. But if they don't grab one til later in the draft I think they will be fine with Mitchell and a developing player. It's just not a position overly utilized by Wade and we didn't have issues against the run like we did against those fun spread teams tossing the ball all over the place. In those situations the NT is generally not even on the field.
Mitchell can always split time between NT and DE to give Smith and Watt a breather. And Smith might not be back in 2014.

Lots of teams rotate their linemen.
We can always look for a NT in round 3 or later; however, if we can find one who can play all 3 downs, I wouldn't be pissed if the Texans select him earlier.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #42
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34647 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! View Post
I'm trying to figure out why Braman hasn't seen that many snaps at OLB. The only plausible answer I can think of is that he may not be disciplined enough to stop the run game, but as a pass rusher he has a lot to be excited about. His bull-rush is nasty!
Now that we have lost Barwin, I think Braman see's the field more this year.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #43
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Good post Evolist. It's one reason I don't see NT as high as many. Unless Wade is changing the defense the NT is not on the field for the Texans as much as other 3-4 defenses. On top of that Mitchell did outplay Cody and is good for penetrating which Wade likes.

Though with that said, if one of the top DT's fall (and there is a slight chance of it) to 27 then I think they should grab him and adjust the defense a bit. Have to adjust to your personnel after all. But if they don't grab one til later in the draft I think they will be fine with Mitchell and a developing player. It's just not a position overly utilized by Wade and we didn't have issues against the run like we did against those fun spread teams tossing the ball all over the place. In those situations the NT is generally not even on the field.
If you are using a beat up older car that is all you have, you might catch a ride to work with someone else; then you get new car in the drive way. You think you would drive the new one more? Wade works with what he has unless he gets a chance to improve a bit. Hankins on the roster would allow him to keep same player in for more plays.
Old 04-22-2013   #44
jahunter221
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 jahunter221 is a quality contributor and well respectedjahunter221 is a quality contributor and well respectedjahunter221 is a quality contributor and well respectedjahunter221 is a quality contributor and well respectedjahunter221 is a quality contributor and well respectedjahunter221 is a quality contributor and well respectedjahunter221 is a quality contributor and well respectedjahunter221 is a quality contributor and well respectedjahunter221 is a quality contributor and well respectedjahunter221 is a quality contributor and well respectedjahunter221 is a quality contributor and well respected

I am really starting to lean toward an inside lb like ogletree in the first due to the fact its such a deep draft for wr's. There should be plenty of good value at wr in the second round. I want us to get back to being a dominant defense and running attack because that is what we are built around. So I would also like to see a right tackle drafted in third.
jahunter221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #45
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94100 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Merciless is the only guy off that list i expect to step up over what he did last year. I might've put Reed on here but i didn't see enough from him last year to warrant what the thread is about. He seems like a 1 trick pony (speed rusher)..and he's ok at best at that 1 trick. It's sad b/c i had such high hopes for him. He's still got time but...my optimisim is dwindling rapidly.

Everyone else on the list is who they are at this point in their careers imo.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #46
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 28119 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Players you expect to step it up over last season or take it up another level. Possible cuts *

Braman LB

Brooks OG

*Clutts FB

B. Harris DB

*Lestar Jean WR

Keyshawn Martin WR

Whitney Mercilus OLB

Mitchell DT

Newton RT

Pleasant DB

Sharpton LB (playing for a contract with someone)

Antonio Smith (playing for a final contract with someone)

Ben Tate
Heh you kind of named almost everyone. I agree with all except maybe Sharpton. I just don't see much there. He seems alright but at this point one has to wonder can he even make it through a season.

Really hoping Harris steps up and we have a battle on the nickle spot. Would be nice to see one of the young players step up and develop to be the 3rd guy there especially how we have issues against the spread as is. Can never go wrong with some quality depth in the secondary.

Out of these Mercilus may be the biggest key though defensively since one would like to think he has the highest ceiling of those mentioned.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #47
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Heh you kind of named almost everyone. I agree with all except maybe Sharpton. I just don't see much there. He seems alright but at this point one has to wonder can he even make it through a season.

Really hoping Harris steps up and we have a battle on the nickle spot. Would be nice to see one of the young players step up and develop to be the 3rd guy there especially how we have issues against the spread as is. Can never go wrong with some quality depth in the secondary.

Out of these Mercilus may be the biggest key though defensively since one would like to think he has the highest ceiling of those mentioned.
We are on same page on Sharpton but I do expect him to play 100% for a new contract.
Old 04-22-2013   #48
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We are on same page on Sharpton but I do expect him to play 100% for a new contract.
Until he breaks.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #49
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Until he breaks.
Yep, my concern also. We will see what Texans think based on how they draft for that position and whom.
Old 04-22-2013   #50
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Until he breaks.
I just don't think he is that good. IF he can stay healthy he can be the Jay Foreman player you are always looking to upgrade.
Old 04-22-2013   #51
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I just don't think he is that good. IF he can stay healthy he can be the Jay Foreman player you are always looking to upgrade.
I can't imagine any scenario where Sharpton is our future at ILB. He might be our ILB for the first game or two of the season but my expectation is that we're going to draft Cushing's running mate -- Minter, Te'o, Klein, or Bostic.

I don't have too much of a problem with Sharpton as a backup. I think he can be good depth even though I'd prefer Dobbins and/or Ruud.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #52
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
I can't imagine any scenario where Sharpton is our future at ILB. He might be our ILB for the first game or two of the season but my expectation is that we're going to draft Cushing's running mate -- Minter, Te'o, Klein, or Bostic.

I don't have too much of a problem with Sharpton as a backup. I think he can be good depth even though I'd prefer Dobbins and/or Ruud.
We need to draft either ILB or NT pretty high for this defense.
Old 04-22-2013   #53
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We need to draft either ILB or NT pretty high for this defense.
I simply don't see them drafting a NT early. They have dealt w/ the combination of Cody & Mitchell & acted as if it sufficed. I think Mitchell is an upgrade over Cody & they could possibly draft someone to rotate w/ Earl later in the draft, but I think Earl is going to get an opportunity to start. I'm not saying I like it or agree w/ it but based on the Texans lack of concern for that position in the past, I would be surprised if it all of sudden becomes a concern & they give up on a young Mitchell.

I think the best available LB, ILB or OLB, will be an option considering it has already crossed their minds to move Reed. A little flexibility in options, but I think it will be WR or LB early. The star WR wants a running mate & the owner wants a playmaker. I think that's enough said to be honest.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #54
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I would add Kiko Alonso & Arthur Brown to that group. I use to have hope for Sharpton, but he his simply too fragile. I can't see him being the future.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #55
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 112599 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Re: Step it up, Texans
Introduce nickel beers!! That would really be "stepping up"!
Old 04-22-2013   #56
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
I simply don't see them drafting a NT early. They have dealt w/ the combination of Cody & Mitchell & acted as if it sufficed. I think Mitchell is an upgrade over Cody & they could possibly draft someone to rotate w/ Earl later in the draft, but I think Earl is going to get an opportunity to start. I'm not saying I like it or agree w/ it but based on the Texans lack of concern for that position in the past, I would be surprised if it all of sudden becomes a concern & they give up on a young Mitchell.

I think the best available LB, ILB or OLB, will be an option considering it has already crossed their minds to move Reed. A little flexibility in options, but I think it will be WR or LB early. The star WR wants a running mate & the owner wants a playmaker. I think that's enough said to be honest.
I get your point and you may be on target BUT, I do not think you can base today upon what Wade did last season. I think he liked Mercilus and needed another OLB with Mario leaving. 2nd round traded so nothing there with very good picks after that may have eliminated a nose. They had a solid if not great starter in Cody. I am one of the few if not only one who thinks a healthy Cody would get nod over Mitchell this season. Mitchell is in his last year and I do not want to have nothing in the pantry if he does not step it up.

If we don't improve Nose we better get a tackling machine for ILB. In my mocks, I get both.
Old 04-22-2013   #57
jahunter221
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 jahunter221 is a quality contributor and well respectedjahunter221 is a quality contributor and well respectedjahunter221 is a quality contributor and well respectedjahunter221 is a quality contributor and well respectedjahunter221 is a quality contributor and well respectedjahunter221 is a quality contributor and well respectedjahunter221 is a quality contributor and well respectedjahunter221 is a quality contributor and well respectedjahunter221 is a quality contributor and well respectedjahunter221 is a quality contributor and well respectedjahunter221 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I get your point and you may be on target BUT, I do not think you can base today upon what Wade did last season. I think he liked Mercilus and needed another OLB with Mario leaving. 2nd round traded so nothing there with very good picks after that may have eliminated a nose. They had a solid if not great starter in Cody. I am one of the few if not only one who thinks a healthy Cody would get nod over Mitchell this season. Mitchell is in his last year and I do not want to have nothing in the pantry if he does not step it up.

If we don't improve Nose we better get a tackling machine for ILB. In my mocks, I get both.
They had a solid if not great starter in Cody.

I'm not quite sure about all that jack
jahunter221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #58
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 27197 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
Now that we have lost Barwin, I think Braman see's the field more this year.
This!!!
Old 04-25-2013   #59
mmwest
Site Contributor

Section: 638 The one always standing & yelling.
Rep Power: 0 mmwest is a quality contributor and well respectedmmwest is a quality contributor and well respectedmmwest is a quality contributor and well respectedmmwest is a quality contributor and well respectedmmwest is a quality contributor and well respectedmmwest is a quality contributor and well respectedmmwest is a quality contributor and well respectedmmwest is a quality contributor and well respectedmmwest is a quality contributor and well respectedmmwest is a quality contributor and well respectedmmwest is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Yea, but Lestar also dropped a ton of balls, including quite a few in third and longs.
A ton a balls? Heck, what was he targeted? Maybe a dozen or so times. Matt/Gary needs to target this guy at least 5 times a game. He's tall , can jump and is not too shabby in the open field. Spread the ball out! Jean,Martin and Tate should've had more touches last year in my opion.
Old 04-25-2013   #60
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 40576 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by revan View Post
This!!!
Except that everybody is going to scream for Braman to ride the pine when they realize he's only good at running a straight line at full speed.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read