Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-21-2013   #41
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dre is asking for a #2 WR

its kinda true tho he wanted to be the highest paid WR in the AFC at least he should of been like u know what lets lower the number a bit so we can have more cap room money on other players that yall want
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013   #42
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
its kinda true tho he wanted to be the highest paid WR in the AFC at least he should of been like u know what lets lower the number a bit so we can have more cap room money on other players that yall want
So I guess Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Adrian Peterson, or anyone else whose ever been the highest paid at their position or close to it isn't a team player either. Business is business...... These guys are smart to maximize their talent to set themselves up for the rest of their life. To say they're not team players is pretty funny. But to each his own.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #43
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 7520 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
Lol I want to be the highest paid WR in the league. Hey I need some help. What ev. Can't have it both ways. Dont act like a team player now after you made all your money. Maybe we could afford a free agent WR if your cap number wasn't so feaking high dre. Or how bout you you say what we all know. We need a qb not a wr..........
Couldve got a #2 WR had they not OVERPAID Schuab, OVERPAID Smith
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #44
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

But.... But... the Texans FO is great.

Just look at some of the people on this MB.

Sign Schaub to a ridiculous contract coming off a major injury = this FO crapped the bed. But according to Maddict they are as good as the best FO in the NFL. LOL

Tell you what AJ, if you want an above avg WR2 then kick in a few $$$$.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #45
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
lol so predictable..... (highlight the bottom of my post that you quoted)

if you want to be unrealistic fine. become an nba coach and bench every player that ever misses a shot since you don't do 'low expectations'

the Texans recent draft and FA record beats nearly anybodys. KW was an adequate #2 up until the last 2 years when he started slowing down. jacoby was supposed to be the heir then which he flashed occasionally. its not like they've been wasting a load of picks & FA money at the position... like belichick has done at corner and still hasn't much to show for it as a case in pt that even the best don't get it right all the time. time to expand the vision a bit maybe
KW as an adequate WR2 = LOL. With that said, the problem is that adequate seems to be fine with you.

The question I ask you is if Rick/Gary/Wade are as great at their jobs as you make them out to be, then why is it every time the Texans face a good/great team on national TV you can count on them crapping the bed? What has gone wrong?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #46
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

there will be a day when Schaub and Andre are both gone ...jus saying and that might be sooner rather then later bye 2016 at least depending on what they do
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #47
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
But.... But... the Texans FO is great.

Just look at some of the people on this MB.

Sign Schaub to a ridiculous contract coming off a major injury = this FO crapped the bed. But according to Maddict they are as good as the best FO in the NFL. LOL

Tell you what AJ, if you want an above avg WR2 then kick in a few $$$$.
breaking news: nfl qbs are get big money. schaub's contract is pretty average compared to a lot of the qb deals being done. brees and flacco's contracts average ~20m per yr, schaubs is only 13m and has nowhere near the same garunteed money. the Texans can get out of the contract relatively cheaply after this year if he doesn't play better than he did last yr

so sorry that contract is not the huge backbreaker you're making it out to be.. so there goes the one piece of ammo you came back with. feel free to mention all the teasm that have better drafts and fa than the Texans. I wont be holding my breath as I can think of only about 3 teams that have matched the Texans performance over the last few yrs. there's a reason the Texans are widely regarded as having one of the most talented rosters in the lg

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
KW as an adequate WR2 = LOL. With that said, the problem is that adequate seems to be fine with you.

The question I ask you is if Rick/Gary/Wade are as great at their jobs as you make them out to be, then why is it every time the Texans face a good/great team on national TV you can count on them crapping the bed? What has gone wrong?
a load of reasons- bad matchups v elite qbs, critical injuries, playing too much man coverage etc etc. nothing that really has anything to do with the point we're discussing Texans recent excellent drafts and FA acq's
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #48
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 24667 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Eh, didn't think much of this. He's just stating the obvious. The owner has said as such, Kubiak has said as such and now Dre. So nothing really out of the ordinary here. The team needs some playmakers at the receiver position. Nothing to look down on Dre for saying something that everyone within the organization and without believes. Now whether it will be a first round pick or not is certain since the draft is nothing but a crapshoot.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #49
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

So I went back and looked at Belichik's record a little deeper.
You have to go back to 2002 when he drafted a "decent" receiver in Deon Branch.
Branch turns out to be the only receiver that amounts to much under BB.

That's some 19 years in all (with both the Patriots and the Browns).

One of the reason he got fired at Cleveland was a receiver named Derrick Alexander who managed 19 catches in his second season.
DA was a second round draft pick. The same year DA was drafted, BB also selected a back named Tommy Vardell who totaled some 59 or 69 yards in his first two years under BB. That has got to be a bust and another reason for BB's dismissal.

So yeah, that bar was set really low.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #50
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

I'm not the biggest schaub fan,but like my fellow draft man like to say,they got schaub for a song. His contract is very avg,17m g money and its basically a 2 yr deal counting this season. They can draft his replacement this year or next.

On to the wrs, the more I watch these guys,the more I think its going to be hunter or williams. I hear the chatter about hopkins,but his lack of ability to create a gap after coming out a cut kinda alarms me. He is a guy who plays with an nfl caliber qb. Patterson is a guy I wouldn't touch and have said as much many times. The good thing about the combine is if u see alarms,you go back to the tape. Patterson fights the ball and doesn't trust his ability. Also his inability to run a straight line while his hips are open is a concern. I could go on because no one is perfect,but from what I see in their ability and upside,I think its hunter or williams.
Old 04-22-2013   #51
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
I guess.... if you class the current all-pro and best LT in football, droty and top 3 ilb in the league, probowl-calibre cb (in 2012 anyway), current dpoty who probably just had 1 of the best seasons by a defensive player ever and a pass rusher coming off a promising rookie season as 'not busts'

just out of curiousity- can anybody show me a better 4 yr streak of prolific 1st rd drafting that the Texans had from 08-11?

best let them keep doing their thing and let aj keep doing his. wonder if the cards regret taking gm advice from fitz re kolb and Michael floyd
Just some comparables:

Baltimore 06-09: Ngata, Grubbs, Flacco and Oher with relatively late picks.

Colts 01-03: Wayne, Freeney and Clark were 3 nice ones in a row.

Chiefs 05-08: Derrick Johnson, Tamba Hali, Dwayne Bowe and Branden Albert ain't so bad. Sadly for the Chiefs, no QB to capitalize on the talent in KC.

Jets in 06-07: Dbrick, Revis and Mangold. These guys were a lot of the reason they made it to two AFCCs.

Giants 08-09: Kenny phillips, Hakeem Nicks, JPP.

49ers had a lot of good picks over the last 6-7 years. VD, Staley and Willis were over a 3 year span. Iupati, Davis and Aldon Smith were within 2 years. Lots of great drafts for that club, and you can see the results on the field.

I think it's pretty obvious that hitting on 1st round picks is essential to winning, but it's interesting to see the trend of contributors to Super Bowl teams.
Old 04-22-2013   #52
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Just some comparables:

Baltimore 06-09: Ngata, Grubbs, Flacco and Oher with relatively late picks.

Colts 01-03: Wayne, Freeney and Clark were 3 nice ones in a row.

Chiefs 05-08: Derrick Johnson, Tamba Hali, Dwayne Bowe and Branden Albert ain't so bad. Sadly for the Chiefs, no QB to capitalize on the talent in KC.

Jets in 06-07: Dbrick, Revis and Mangold. These guys were a lot of the reason they made it to two AFCCs.

Giants 08-09: Kenny phillips, Hakeem Nicks, JPP.

49ers had a lot of good picks over the last 6-7 years. VD, Staley and Willis were over a 3 year span. Iupati, Davis and Aldon Smith were within 2 years. Lots of great drafts for that club, and you can see the results on the field.

I think it's pretty obvious that hitting on 1st round picks is essential to winning, but it's interesting to see the trend of contributors to Super Bowl teams.
There were some other good stretches that I almost pulled up with my original response but he was asking for 1st rounds. The Niners' nonconsecutive drafts where they got Montana, Lott, Craig, and Rice was pretty epic.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #53
RagingBull
Hall of Shame

Rep Power: 3846 RagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Steelers:
2003 -- Polamalu
2004 -- Roethlisberger
2005 -- Heath Miller
2006 -- Santonio Holmes

Steelers:
1969 -- Joe Greene
1970 -- Terry Bradshaw
1971 -- Frank Lewis but in the 2nd round, Jack Hamm
1972 -- Franco Harris
1973 -- JT Thomas (meh)
1974 -- Lynn Swann, Jack Lambert, John Stallworth, and Mike Webster

Cowboys:
1988 -- Michael Irvin
1989 -- Troy Aikman
1990 -- Emmitt Smith

Not saying these are better. Just saying these are some of the good 3-4+ years of drafting.
The big difference between these three lists and ours is that each of the above draft lists include a HOF QB (well maybe/maybe not on Rapeherberger), and unfortunately, ours does not...
RagingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #54
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingBull View Post
The big difference between these three lists and ours is that each of the above draft lists include a HOF QB, and unfortunately, ours does not...
Not YET.
Old 04-22-2013   #55
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 32969 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not YET.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #56
RagingBull
Hall of Shame

Rep Power: 3846 RagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not YET.
So does that mean you think that we will draft a HOF QB this year? Cuz we never drafted Scwaubby, ATL did. If he wins the next 3 superbowls in a row, he would have to be considered right? But it still wouldn't affect our draft grade.
RagingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #57
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingBull View Post
So does that mean you think that we will draft a HOF QB this year? Cuz we never drafted Scwaubby, ATL did. If he wins the next 3 superbowls in a row, he would have to be considered right? But it still wouldn't affect our draft grade.
I was just joking around (and I know where Schaub came from, btw). We might have already drafted our HOF QB (which would be Yates) or we might have gotten him as a UDFA (Keenum)... OR we might draft him this year.

Some people are mocking us drafting Schaub's replacement this year; although I expect us to draft Schaub's replacement next year when there's going to be a much better crop of QBs coming out.

So if we're going to draft an HOF QB, I expect us to do it next year.
Old 04-22-2013   #58
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 65390 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Every WR in the draft has some sort of glaring red flag about him, and no matter how much you may like one specific guy, it seems like every one of them has a pretty big flaw. DeAndre Hopkins likes to pooh the bed. Keenan Allen ran a godawful time in the 40 and has a knee injury. Cordarrelle Patterson is a one year JUCO guy, Tavon Austin is short, it goes on and on and on. There are good WR's that can surely be had at #27 and #57 so I'm not going to freak out if they don't take a WR first, I just hope they at least get one early.
Old 04-23-2013   #59
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52329 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah let's ***** about the Texans front office. Cuz we suck or something.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #60
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Every WR in the draft has some sort of glaring red flag about him, and no matter how much you may like one specific guy, it seems like every one of them has a pretty big flaw. DeAndre Hopkins likes to pooh the bed. Keenan Allen ran a godawful time in the 40 and has a knee injury. Cordarrelle Patterson is a one year JUCO guy, Tavon Austin is short, it goes on and on and on. There are good WR's that can surely be had at #27 and #57 so I'm not going to freak out if they don't take a WR first, I just hope they at least get one early.
That's why I like Marquis Goodwin from UT, and not because I'm a UT fan. I see world class speed and I see a guy who can contribute right away.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read