Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-20-2013   #1
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61034 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Dre is asking for a #2 WR

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...wide-receiver/

Quote:
When we posted our Houston Texans draft needs today, we started at wide receiver. Andre Johnson agrees with that assessment.

Johnson told John McClain of the Houston Chronicle that he’s been lobbying the front office to use the Texans’ first-round pick, No. 27 overall, on a wide receiver.

“I’d like to have another [receiver],” Johnson said. “I’m all for it. I’ve asked for it for awhile. The more weapons we have, the better it’ll be for the team.”
This made me depressed. Dre is all class and the definition of a pro and this makes me feel like he is now pleading for help.

Maybe Im wrong but this makes me really despise Kubiak and Rick Smith even more.
DX-TEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013   #2
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83899 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dre is asking for a #2 WR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post

This made me depressed. Dre is all class and the definition of a pro and this makes me feel like he is now pleading for help.

Maybe Im wrong but this makes me really despise Kubiak and Rick Smith even more.
Yeah, I got the same vibe. Sad.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013   #3
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35188 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

He got two of them last year, and he got his safety buddy from the U this year.
That's enough.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013   #4
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61034 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
He got two of them last year, and he got his safety buddy from the U this year.
That's enough.
But he just said that now not last year. Speculation, but it says to me he doesn't have much faith in Martin, Jean or Posey at this point.

I feel if this season doesn't go well (AFCCG or better) Dre will asked to be traded or released.
Old 04-20-2013   #5
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 24813 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

A little more in depth link:

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...pid=sportshcat

He answers DX-TX's question here:

Quote:
“If we’re able to add another guy, it would probably be the best group of receivers we’ve had since I’ve been here,” Johnson said. “Adding another guy (to go with) Posey, Lestar (Jean) and Keshawn — that’s a lot of talent. Not only would it be good for now, but it would be good for our future.”
- So I don't think he's down on the guys we already have, but maybe he doesn't think one is an automatic #2.

I like how he goes on to say he'd like to play another 5 years:

Quote:
“I think there’s a big window for the organization, but Andre Johnson’s window is not very big,” he said. “When I came into this league, my goal was to play 10 years. Now I want to play five more."
And here's a comment from a fan that I can really get behind, from the same link:

Quote:
RD90
9:20 PM on April 20, 2013
Take Dre Hopkins out of Clemson, he'll be ready to go day 1 and will be a big red zone threat.

Trade one of our mid-round picks (we have a few extra via the supplemental) for Nick Foles from the Eagles. Foles isn't going to fit into Chip Kelly's read-option offense and would be nice (and inexpensive...draft choice wise) replacement for Schaub after the the 2014 season (once his guaranteed money has cleared the cap) if not before.
You're not going to trade any supplement picks, but if there was anyway to get Nick Foles and give up some picks I would do it in a heartbeat.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013   #6
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm sorry, but while I don't believe for one minute Andre is "pleading for help" with the idea of moving on if he doesn't get it, I find it incredible that anyone would actually believe he's got any basis whatsoever to do so.

Thanks to using his Uncle as his agent, 'Dre did a crappy second deal, and pretty much immediately upon voicing displeasure about it, had that deal redone with 5 years still left on it - that's unheard of. If I recall correctly, he became the second highest paid receiver in the league at the time (2010). Since then, his team has gone to the playoffs 2 out of 3 years, won a playoff game in both of those two seasons, and continue to have a window to win that is roughly equivalent to the prime years Dre's got left in his career.

The Texans have put 'Dre into a very good position at this point in his career, and anyone claiming he's going to be unhappy and want to move on if his input/comments aren't acted upon doesn't know 'Dre very well, and they apparently don't understand the business of NFL football very well either.
Old 04-20-2013   #7
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I say get him some help, but don't reach. As usual, go BPA and use your draft board. I, for one, don't think Posey will ever have an impact on an NFL team. An Achilles injury will be too much to overcome.
Old 04-20-2013   #8
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54460 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I really don't view it as Dre pleading for help. It sounds more to me like he is trying to reassure everybody that he has no problem with help or less touches, actually he encourages it when it helps the team. He is telling people that he likes the idea.

I think it's obvious that we need another receiver right now and will address it in the draft. You have to remember that we have spent a great deal of draft picks on defense. We had one of the worst defenses in the league 2 years ago and were switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4. There are legitimate reasons for having not drafting a receiver high in recent seasons. We are lucky to have hit on JJ Watt or pass rush would be our biggest need over receiver and right tackle right now.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013   #9
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
A little more in depth link:

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...pid=sportshcat

He answers DX-TX's question here:

- So I don't think he's down on the guys we already have, but maybe he doesn't think one is an automatic #2.

I like how he goes on to say he'd like to play another 5 years:

And here's a comment from a fan that I can really get behind, from the same link:

You're not going to trade any supplement picks, but if there was anyway to get Nick Foles and give up some picks I would do it in a heartbeat.
Knew I should have clicked the link in that PFT article. I fell for the trap!

I do not want Foles though. I don't see him being any better than TJ right now.
Old 04-21-2013   #10
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 85740 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I do not want Foles though. I don't see him being any better than TJ right now.
This I agree with. We don't know what we have in TJ but that doesn't mean someone else's garbage is better than our "garbage".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013   #11
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 44848 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

I really liked Posey's potential when we drafted him. He came on at the end of the season and then of course he tore his damn achilles. That makes this whole situation a lot more difficult.
Vance87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013   #12
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24999 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing is we haven't really had a first round bust since Okoye so its not like we've drafted bad in the first round. Our defense sucked so its been tough to get a big free agent receiver when we've been trying to improve the team on the other side of the ball.

I do think its time to get him some help in the form of a guy the team really thinks can be a #2, but I do know what I really would have done differently in the first round the last 4 or 5 years.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013   #13
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54460 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post
I really liked Posey's potential when we drafted him. He came on at the end of the season and then of course he tore his damn achilles. That makes this whole situation a lot more difficult.
We should treat the Posey situation as if he will never contribute. He was a project that hadn't had alot of playing time coming out of college anyway.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013   #14
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 44848 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
We should treat the Posey situation as if he will never contribute. He was a project that hadn't had alot of playing time coming out of college anyway.
Of course we should, even if he didn't get injured most would say we still need a #2 receiver, just that he was showing flashes of brilliance and then he got hurt, which basically puts us back at square 1.
Vance87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013   #15
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

HE ALREADY got help Posey and Martin and Lestar

and I know this front office there not giving up on POsey just after 1 year

besides this offensive does not run throught WR more like TE and RB

if anything andre expect another Tight end or RB LOL ..
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013   #16
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
The thing is we haven't really had a first round bust since Okoye so its not like we've drafted bad in the first round.
I guess.... if you class the current all-pro and best LT in football, droty and top 3 ilb in the league, probowl-calibre cb (in 2012 anyway), current dpoty who probably just had 1 of the best seasons by a defensive player ever and a pass rusher coming off a promising rookie season as 'not busts'

just out of curiousity- can anybody show me a better 4 yr streak of prolific 1st rd drafting that the Texans had from 08-11?

best let them keep doing their thing and let aj keep doing his. wonder if the cards regret taking gm advice from fitz re kolb and Michael floyd
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013   #17
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20124 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The help that AJ needs is a better distributor under center.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013   #18
Fili
All Pro

Rep Power: 3890 Fili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respected

He better ask for another WR. Less trouble for him, if the the newbie is good.
Old 04-21-2013   #19
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

To me it sounds like Andre wants another beast on the other side. We have some nice players that can make good plays, but we don't have that legit scare the he'll out of defenses threat on the other side.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013   #20
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 44018 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Its cause he knows with a little pressure off him he could break CJs receiving record . And i believe if he EVER had a legit #2 AJ would hold many more records than he currently does. He has pretty much been our only WR threat since he's been here.

Other teams have a bad ass #1 and usually try to get a #2 who could be a #1. The texans no, we get 1 good guy and they expect him to carry the team as far as that position goes.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read