Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-18-2013   #21
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Wonder(lic) of top WR prospects and other pass catcher tidbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Trashed hotel room occupants revealed .... ruh-roh, my boy...

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 6m
Did they leave good tips?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013   #22
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Some of athleticism is muscle memory and repitition. Some people are just born knowing what to do. We see that frequently with running backs. Following a block is important but knowing when to cut or reverse is also. Plus having the burners to kick in...
Old 04-18-2013   #23
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I'll take Marino, Bradshaw, and Jim Kelly any day over Romo's 37, and especially Gabbert's 42, LOL!
For me, it's like most other things, you have to have a certain minimum level of something.

To be a musician, you have to have a certain minimal level of skill. Anything over that level of skill is gravy but it's not going to make you any more successful. But below that minimal level of skill and you can't play well enough for people to get past how bad you suck.

With a football player, he's got to have some minimal level of intelligence depending on the position he plays and the demands of his particular team's playbook. In some offenses, a WR can have a <10 Wonderlic score and I'm not going to be worried about it; in ours, I want him to be smarter than that.

With a QB, if he's got a <10 wonderlic, I'm not expecting him to be able to be successful at all. But anything over a 10-13 and he's probably OK. BUt if he's WAY over that, it's just like the musician thing, it's probably not going to make him any more successful because his brain's ability to learn and do basic processing is no longer his limiting attribute.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013   #24
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
A trashed hotel room at Indy scouting combine that Yahoo reported on belonged to Clemson WR DeAndre Hopkins and Rutgers WR Mark Harrison.
Quote:
NFL sources said they are convinced that Rutgers wide receiver Mark Harrison is not responsible for the trashed hotel room.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013   #25
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
For me, it's like most other things, you have to have a certain minimum level of something.

To be a musician, you have to have a certain minimal level of skill. Anything over that level of skill is gravy but it's not going to make you any more successful. But below that minimal level of skill and you can't play well enough for people to get past how bad you suck.

With a football player, he's got to have some minimal level of intelligence depending on the position he plays and the demands of his particular team's playbook. In some offenses, a WR can have a <10 Wonderlic score and I'm not going to be worried about it; in ours, I want him to be smarter than that.

With a QB, if he's got a <10 wonderlic, I'm not expecting him to be able to be successful at all. But anything over a 10-13 and he's probably OK. BUt if he's WAY over that, it's just like the musician thing, it's probably not going to make him any more successful because his brain's ability to learn and do basic processing is no longer his limiting attribute.

The wonder lick is a wast of time when it comes to the NFL.

Dr. Brian Hoffman co-authored a 2009 study with Brian D. Lyons in collaboration with California State University (Fresno) and Towson University. The Lyons Study was presented at the 20th and 21st annual Meetings of the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology. This 43-page study of 762 NFL players over three draft classes comes to two distinct conclusions:

1) NFL performance on the football field was only found to have a statistically significant correlation with Wonderlic scores among two positions: Tight end and defensive back. Correlations were statistically negligible across all other positions. (Yes, even QB.) In other words, with the exception of TEs and DBs, a player's Wonderlic score (high or low) gave no predictable projection for their eventual productivity as an NFL player. It was worthless.

2)Tight ends and defensive backs showed a (significant) negative correlation.
Old 04-19-2013   #26
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
The wonder lick is a wast of time when it comes to the NFL.

Dr. Brian Hoffman co-authored a 2009 study with Brian D. Lyons in collaboration with California State University (Fresno) and Towson University. The Lyons Study was presented at the 20th and 21st annual Meetings of the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology. This 43-page study of 762 NFL players over three draft classes comes to two distinct conclusions:

1) NFL performance on the football field was only found to have a statistically significant correlation with Wonderlic scores among two positions: Tight end and defensive back. Correlations were statistically negligible across all other positions. (Yes, even QB.) In other words, with the exception of TEs and DBs, a player's Wonderlic score (high or low) gave no predictable projection for their eventual productivity as an NFL player. It was worthless.

2)Tight ends and defensive backs showed a (significant) negative correlation.
Interesting but that doesn't totally repudiate what I said, though.

If you're looking for a pure correlation between the score and the performance, then you're expecting higher scores to out-perform lower scores. And that's not what I said.

There should be a lower limit beneath which performance should tail off. Over that limit and I'd expect performance to flat line as other factors came into play and that's not really at-odds with what that article said. AND I'd expect different teams approaches/systems to prefer smarter players while some teams approaches/systems would prefer more instinctive players.

Use some other attribute as an example: 40 time. Everybody pretty much agrees that the 40 time is bad indicator of a good football player. You can be the fastest guy in the world but if you can't catch, you're not going to be a very good receiver. You can be the fastest guy in the world, but if you can't tackle, you're not going to be a very good linebacker.

But there's a lower limit. If you're too slow, it doesn't matter how good your hands are. If you're too slow, it doesn't matter if you're a great tackler. Because once you're below that speed limit, you're useless. If your speed is just above that limit, however, and you're good to go.

It's the same with intelligence. If you're just too damned stupid, you're performace is going to tail off. But as long as your intellect is above a certain point, you're good to go and other attributes become your limiting factor.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013   #27
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
NFL sources said they are convinced that Rutgers wide receiver Mark Harrison is not responsible for the trashed hotel room.
Saw this in the chron; http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...ng-hotel-room/

Quote:
“Luckily, thank God, my agent got my flight booked early or it really would’ve been questionable if I did [it] or not,” Hopkins said. “My agent got my flight booked early. He told me hurry up. I got done before Mark Harrison, so I was already packed. I already took a shower and packed and everything. Mark came in and we spoke for at least 20 minutes about the combine. Then the bellman came in and helped me get my bags out. And I left. That’s, honestly, all I can say.

“If you didn’t do anything then you have nothing to prove. You know, it’s just mind-boggling that someone would do that. I say check the cameras, that’s the best way that you’re going to get the answer. Check the cameras and check the timing of everything.”
Hmmm! Somebody aint tellin the truth!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013   #28
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

What I want to know is how did they clear Harrison?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013   #29
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
What I want to know is how did they clear Harrison?
This is becoming a whodunit now. My curiosity is increasing, which isn't a good thing for the two.

You'd think if either left a third party in the room or gave a card-key to a third party, they'd be singing.

I've also seen descriptions that could be the result of a toilet overflow versus "feces smeared on the walls".
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #30
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Wonderlick has 0 to do with football intelligence.
Old 04-22-2013   #31
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

How smart do you have to be to block? I mean, this is the #2WR we are talking about here...

Sincerely,

Gary Kubiak
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read