Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-17-2013   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 183943 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Step it up, Texans

Players you expect to step it up over last season or take it up another level. Possible cuts *

Braman LB

Brooks OG

*Clutts FB

B. Harris DB

*Lestar Jean WR

Keyshawn Martin WR

Whitney Mercilus OLB

Mitchell DT

Newton RT

Pleasant DB

Sharpton LB (playing for a contract with someone)

Antonio Smith (playing for a final contract with someone)

Ben Tate
Old 04-17-2013   #2
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Step it up, Texans

I don't think LeStar is getting cut. He didn't have a great season, but when given the chance last season he usually made some pretty big plays....
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013   #3
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52456 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Yea, but Lestar also dropped a ton of balls, including quite a few in third and longs.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013   #4
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 265163 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

JMO, but they need to use Jean across the middle, on comeback routes, etc. He doesn't have the deep speed to run the fly routes they tried with him last year, but he's got good height and has a knack for making plays on the ball. He attacks the ball pretty well.
Old 04-17-2013   #5
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 265163 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Yea, but Lestar also dropped a ton of balls, including quite a few in third and longs.
Define a ton, please. Are we talking about 2000 lbs worth of balls? 10 drops? 2 drops? A high percentage of his overall catch total? Or just some nebulous feeling that you have?
Old 04-17-2013   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 183943 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
JMO, but they need to use Jean across the middle, on comeback routes, etc. He doesn't have the deep speed to run the fly routes they tried with him last year, but he's got good height and has a knack for making plays on the ball. He attacks the ball pretty well.
this is what I want to see also as Jean could be an AJ type player. He is strong enough to battle DBs and take ball away or force it to ground. He is a big target and his hands should be good enough. Maybe with Walter gone, he will get more opportunities and that is why I have him as a step it up player. If he cannot get it done and soon, time to move on and allow others a chance like Jeff Maehl.
Old 04-17-2013   #7
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53394 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Define a ton, please. Are we talking about 2000 lbs worth of balls? 10 drops? 2 drops? A high percentage of his overall catch total? Or just some nebulous feeling that you have?
I didn't think he dropped that many.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-17-2013   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I am not jumping into this debate. I do not have a drop number. Thru the season he was targeted 13 times and caught 6 passes.
Old 04-17-2013   #9
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 321362 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
I didn't think he dropped that many.
I was more worried about K-Mart's drops but I haven't looked at actual targets, catches, drops for them.

I didn't think Jean got enough targets to be able to drop a ton. Half a ton? Quarter of a ton? Maybe, but not a whole ton.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I was more worried about K-Mart's drops but I haven't looked at actual targets, catches, drops for them.

I didn't think Jean got enough targets to be able to drop a ton. Half a ton? Quarter of a ton? Maybe, but not a whole ton.
K-Mart was targeted 27 times and caught 10.
Old 04-17-2013   #11
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
K-Mart was targeted 27 times and caught 10.
Martin was the guy who had too many drops (4).
You can find the stats at Stats LLC.
Out of 14 catchable balls, that was way too many; and it did not even include the one time I remember he slipped and the DB intercepted the ball.

Jean only dropped one ball, but he had fewer targets. His drop percentage was nearly 15% if I calculate it correctly; that's about 3 times more than AJ's usual number. The thing with Jean is that he couldn't finish or extend the route or get in and out of his breaks sharply enough to get the needed seperation.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013   #12
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Jean/Martin are JAGS as WR's. Martin has some value as a KR/PR and a 4-5th WR.

They need to spend atleast 2 draft picks on WR's. Preferably on early (!st/2nd Rd.) and one late. (5-7th Rd.)
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013   #13
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

no way we cut Jean unless Posey is healthy by the time the season starts and if we draft two more WRs.
Old 04-17-2013   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Martin was the guy who had too many drops (4).
You can find the stats at Stats LLC.
Out of 14 catchable balls, that was way too many
I am well aware of stats inc. but sorry I do not believe only 52% of the balls thrown to Martin were catchable. Seriously, catchable? We're talking about a QB who COMPLETES 65+% and for whatever reason he can't throw catchable balls to Martin. The guy has bad hands. I'm not saying give up on him but he sure as hell needs to be working with the Juggs machine.
Old 04-17-2013   #15
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139196 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Jacoby Jones?
Old 04-17-2013   #16
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 139196 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I am well aware of stats inc. but sorry I do not believe only 52% of the balls thrown to Martin were catchable. Seriously, catchable? We're talking about a QB who COMPLETES 65+% and for whatever reason he can't throw catchable balls to Martin. The guy has bad hands. I'm not saying give up on him but he sure as hell needs to be working with the Juggs machine.
Well, that begs an interesting question:

A) How is it that a QB has an "X" completion rate

versus:

B) A receiver's completion rate??

The former is much higher than the latter, but why?

Lack of trust? Lack of continuity?? (etc.)

Genuinely an interesting discussion.
Old 04-17-2013   #17
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

I know this..............

3rd and 5, late in a playoff game I'm throwing the ball AJ's way. An interception has better chance of working out the Texans way, WAAAAY better than throwing the ball out of bounds.

Just sayin'!
Old 04-17-2013   #18
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The sample is too small, it could happen.

The thing is though, drop is not something Martin did in college.
I remember, tallying the count in one of the film study thread, and he had only one in some ten games I watched (and that included all the returns, too).

Looks like he lost some confidence after one of the drops; I don't remember which one, but I remember distinctly that he looked really dejected on the bench. He's just have got to bounce back from it.
Old 04-17-2013   #19
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Well, that begs an interesting question:

A) How is it that a QB has an "X" completion rate

versus:

B) A receiver's completion rate??

The former is much higher than the latter, but why?

Lack of trust? Lack of continuity?? (etc.)
Even when the Qb gets pressured and the pass went astray (when Schaub threw the ball at Foster's feet on a screen pass for example), it was still charted as a target to Foster.
Old 04-17-2013   #20
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 36798 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
I thought you weren't jumping into this debate lol

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read