Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-16-2013   #121
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Lance Zierlein Mock Draft 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
You mean you've seen all 32 teams' draft boards?
You yourself stated they would be good value in the 5th to 7th round. If there is a chance a guy will be around in the seventh round there is a chance he won't get drafted. How can a guy that could be around in the 7th round bring better value than a guy who is rated by nearly every expert a sure fire first round pick and the best at his position in the entire draft?

anxiously awaiting reply.
Old 04-16-2013   #122
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

I swear, if we draft a TE with the 27th pick overall I'm gonna purchase season tickets to the Texans just to boo the **** out of Kubiak...
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013   #123
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
You yourself stated they would be good value in the 5th to 7th round. If there is a chance a guy will be around in the seventh round there is a chance he won't get drafted. How can a guy that could be around in the 7th round bring better value than a guy who is rated by nearly every expert a sure fire first round pick and the best at his position in the entire draft?

anxiously awaiting reply.
I was thinking you might misunderstand what I was trying to say, and it looks like you did.

There are two ways to look at this.

1. The value of a pick depends on the round he's selected.
You see a lot of boards rated them between 5th to 7th (and possibly UDFA), but you might not see that both were valued as high as the second round.
For mock draft purpose, let's say I'm able to pick them late in the sixth or somewhere in the seventh ('cause people in the Mock Draft are doubtful about them for some reasons), but they get selected in the 4th or 5th round in the real draft. It means that I get more value for the picks than you guys thought.

2. Another way to look at it is comparable "added value" for the position in a late round vs selecting Eifert at #27 in Kubiak's system, at least in the first year.
With two TEs already on board with receiving skills, Eifert isn't going to see that many targets to justify his first round status.
If you think Eifert will see more targets than Graham, I don't know what to tell you.

At the moment, the Texans need a good blocking TE; both Toilolo and Fauria are at least as capable as Eifert, if not better. On top of that, they are both great red zone weapons due to their size. They have already shown they are capable in that role. Eifert at #27 isn't tremendously better than them in these two tasks to justify the spot he's picked in.

Instead, the Texans can use that #1 pick on another position of need, providing the team with other value to make it better, be it a receiver or a pass rusher, whatever.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013   #124
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Concerning Toilolo; he's an underclassmen who seeked the opinion of the draft advisory board. He then consulted with his parents and his coaches before making the decision.

It's logical to think that he received at least a decent grade.

Regarding Fauria, I read an interview in which he was quoted directly as hearing at least one scout saying that he might sneak into the second round.
Old 04-16-2013   #125
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
I swear, if we draft a TE with the 27th pick overall I'm gonna purchase season tickets to the Texans just to boo the **** out of Kubiak...
would you be upset if that TE was another Gronk?
Old 04-16-2013   #126
76Texan
Hall of Fame

In 38 games, Eifert had 11 TDs.
In 30 games, Toilolo had 10 (don't forget he was behind Fleener and Ertz, and was used more as a blocking TE.)

Fauria surpassed Eifert in just one year with 12 (and a total of 20 in his career spanning 40 games.)
Old 04-16-2013   #127
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Pretty sure Bob would be okey dokey with that.
Old 04-16-2013   #128
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

Quote:
In 38 games, Eifert had 11 TDs.
In 30 games, Toilolo had 10 (don't forget he was behind Fleener and Ertz, and was used more as a blocking TE.)

Fauria surpassed Eifert in just one year with 12 (and a total of 20 in his career spanning 40 games.)
In 2011, Eifert had a Sophomore QB in Tommy Rees throwing to him, who got benched for a freshman QB last year, Everett Golson. His freshmen season, he had Dayne Crist throwing to him, who was also a sophomore in 2010. Three different QBs in three seasons, hard to compare that when Ertz and Toilolo had Andrew Luck for most of their career.

Not saying Ertz isn't better than Eifert, or vice versa, but you can't compare stats they had in college IMO.
Old 04-16-2013   #129
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSlaton20 View Post
In 2011, Eifert had a Sophomore QB in Tommy Rees throwing to him, who got benched for a freshman QB last year, Everett Golson. His freshmen season, he had Dayne Crist throwing to him, who was also a sophomore in 2010. Three different QBs in three seasons, hard to compare that when Ertz and Toilolo had Andrew Luck for most of their career.

Not saying Ertz isn't better than Eifert, or vice versa, but you can't compare stats they had in college IMO.
He's not comparing Ertz to Eifert. He's comparing Ertz to Tolio and Fauria taking into account where they could be drafted.
Old 04-16-2013   #130
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I was thinking you might misunderstand what I was trying to say, and it looks like you did.

There are two ways to look at this.

1. The value of a pick depends on the round he's selected.
You see a lot of boards rated them between 5th to 7th (and possibly UDFA), but you might not see that both were valued as high as the second round.
For mock draft purpose, let's say I'm able to pick them late in the sixth or somewhere in the seventh ('cause people in the Mock Draft are doubtful about them for some reasons), but they get selected in the 4th or 5th round in the real draft. It means that I get more value for the picks than you guys thought.

2. Another way to look at it is comparable "added value" for the position in a late round vs selecting Eifert at #27 in Kubiak's system, at least in the first year.
With two TEs already on board with receiving skills, Eifert isn't going to see that many targets to justify his first round status.
If you think Eifert will see more targets than Graham, I don't know what to tell you.

At the moment, the Texans need a good blocking TE; both Toilolo and Fauria are at least as capable as Eifert, if not better. On top of that, they are both great red zone weapons due to their size. They have already shown they are capable in that role. Eifert at #27 isn't tremendously better than them in these two tasks to justify the spot he's picked in.

Instead, the Texans can use that #1 pick on another position of need, providing the team with other value to make it better, be it a receiver or a pass rusher, whatever.
I don't have the energy for this discussion. . I will say IMO there is no way no how either of your guys could have even close value no matter where drafted. And I do believe Ertz would get more than enough playing time THIS year to justify drafting him. Graham hasn't shown me anything.

Also I don't see OD being around much longer.
Old 04-24-2013   #131
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 238590 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Mock 3.0

Texans trade down...

Quote:
16. St.Louis – DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson: Hunter could be the guy here as well, but the Rams have been busy with visits from Hopkins so I’m going to take that seriously and plug the most game-ready outside WR in this draft here at this spot.

17. Pittsburgh - Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame: I also like Kenny Vaccaro here, but Eifert addresses a need in the passing game and gives the Steelers instant help in passing game. He’s not a great in-line blocker, but Matt Spaeth is back for that. With Heath Miller coming off a knee injury and with his contract expiring in 2014, this moves makes so much sense.

18. Dallas – Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas: Multi-dimensional safety plugs in right away with talented CB group.

19. NY Giants – Menelik Watson, OT, Florida State: Watson is a bit of a project but he has the upside to be a starting LT or RT for years to come. Giants could go DE here, but I don’t think they’ll reach for that position if their ratings don’t back it up.

20. Chicago – Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State: The Bears have a short-term answer in the middle with D.J. Williams, but that’s all he is for now. Lance Briggs is getting up there in age and Brown could fit in as a WLB or MLB in Bears scheme.

21. Cincinnati – Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia: Cue the Bengals character issue jokes, but Ogletree is a very real possibility for a defense that was way too inconsistent at ILB last year. Ogletree could play inside or outside for Mike Zimmer.

22. St. Louis - Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina: Williams gets great penetration and could help with an interior pass rush.

23. Minnesota – Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee: If you are the Vikings, you probably run up to the podium with this card as the Vikings could plug Hunter in next to Greg Jennings for immediate help in the passing game.

24. Indianapolis – Margus Hunt, DE, SMU: Hunt has absolutely freakish size/strength/quickness measurables and the length that 3-4 teams covet.

25. Minnesota – D.J. Hayden, CB, Houston: Hayden is big, fast and aggressive and gives the Vikings a player with outstanding upside to plug into their secondary.

26. Green Bay – Kyle Long, OT, Oregon: The Packers are in desperate need of a tackle and if they don’t take one here, they probably don’t get one. It’s not really in Ted Thompson’s nature to reach, but this year might be different.

27. San Francisco (trade with Houston) – Datone Jones, DE, UCLA: The Texans have several issues with depth on their roster and would be more than open to move back. Jones is a great fit for the 49ers’ 3-4 and gives them a pass rusher on the interior to groom behind Justin Smith. San Francisco has plenty of picks so they are going to be players higher up the board in all likelihood.

28. Denver – Jesse Williams, DT, Alabama: The Broncos could look at DE here, but Williams is a block eater who helps fortify the interior for the Broncos.

29. New England – Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee: Of course Tom Brady needs even more weapons, right?

30. Atlanta – Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington: I’m sure the Falcons would love to have Trufant fall this far and I wouldn’t be shocked if they moved up in this draft to target a DE or a CB.

31. Houston (from 49′ers) – Robert Woods, WR, USC: If the Texans wait too long, the WRs they like will be gone and by moving back and picking up an extra pick, the Texans would be able to use that pick to add safety or TE later on. Woods gives them a solid #2 who could step in next year and he fits the Texans size/speed profile at WR.

32. Baltimore – Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State: The Ravens need pass rush help and while Werner isn’t a prototype in a 3-4, the Ravens could basically just turn him loose as WOLB and let him rush the passer.

Draft Notes

* I know it is shocking to see no QBs taken in the first round, but I think Geno Smith could really fall if he gets past the Jets. With that said, I think a team will trade into the back end of the first to take a QB or a team inside the top 10 will trade back and target QB later in the first.

* Tank Carradine could go inside the top 15 or fall completely out of the first round. Reviews of his play are very mixed in league circles and if teams don’t believe he’s a fit in the 3-4, his options are more limited.

* There could be a run on CBs in the first with as many as five going. It’s very unpredictable with so much CB depth in this draft.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013   #132
mussop
Hall of Fame

Man if I'm sitting there at 31 and Werner is still on the board I would have a hard time passing him up. Move Reed inside put Werner outside and our defense is greatly improved.
Old 04-24-2013   #133
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I always take trading down as the cop-out move in mocks. When noone wants to tradup and you don'tlike board what do you do?
Old 04-24-2013   #134
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
I always take trading down as the cop-out move in mocks. When noone wants to tradup and you don'tlike board what do you do?
FWIW, Mike Mayock did his final (only?) mock tonight, and while he did it without trades, he did mention when discussing his San Fran pick that with all the picks they have this year, he expected them to trade up.
Old 04-24-2013   #135
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 238590 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein 50m
Quote:
I'm also not finding many teams who are excited by Bjoern Werner. I had Tank out of my last mock and Werner going 32nd
Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein 51m
Quote:
Tank Carradine took a beating when I spoke with team sources today. I don't think the NFL world is as enamored with him as the draft media
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013   #136
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47761 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
So basically comes down to Woods & special teams/depth player over Patterson who could come in as a rookie & completely turnaround return game while adding another dangerous WR weapon, let me think about it

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #137
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

LZ once again showing his football acumen by making Robert Woods his pick for the Texans in his final mock. Gosh, what a coincidence, that's also my hope for the Texans WR choice.
But then there's this in the just released "draftcountdown.com" (one of my favorite mocks) latest and final mock which has Deandre Hopkins and Woods going at the 44th and 52th position respectively in the Draft, so go figure ? They've also got Keenan Allen & Terrance Williams, 2 other WRs rated first round picks in many mocks, both hanging around until the third round. That's real value at WR I'd say ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #138
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
So basically comes down to Woods & special teams/depth player over Patterson who could come in as a rookie & completely turnaround return game while adding another dangerous WR weapon, let me think about it
Its about hedging risk. Patterson could become the best WR, or he could wash out. With Woods you are getting a guy who can step in right away and be a decent number 2. However, he likely wont become anything more than a solid number 2.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #139
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Its about hedging risk. Patterson could become the best WR, or he could wash out. With Woods you are getting a guy who can step in right away and be a decent number 2. However, he likely wont become anything more than a solid number 2.
This sounds just like Rick/Gary never take a chance on greatness, always take the safe route.

You can develop a nice little team drafting like this. But you wil never achieve greatness with this philosophy.

If Patterson is there he should be the pick. He may be dumb as a box of rocks. But Darius Slay the top notch CB from Miss St. said on a radio show this week that Patterson was the toughest guy to cover in the SEC. We dont need anybody with that kind of Talent playing WR2 on the Texans. Patterson doesn't fit Gary's mold of what a WR should be.

Patterson scored an 11 on his Wunderlich. Guess what AJ's score was? 14. Not exactly mensa material, Patterson should be the pick if available. (Doubtful)
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #140
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I think LZ has been completely off base with his mocks and his inside info about guys. No way for me to be sure, but a lot of it just doesn't make sense.

I don't see why San Fran would move up a few spots to take Jones. Now I haven't seen a lot of Jones (or maybe I have and he was just forgettable), but still...Doesn't make sense to me...

And if I'm the Texans I'd rather take Patterson.

Woods is a nice player, but if we're going to take a WR in the first it needs to be a potential stud. I don't see a lot of difference between Woods and some of the second round WR's that will be there as far as ability goes. We don't need a slightly better Devier Posey in the first. We need a real live difference maker.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read