Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-15-2013   #21
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: CBS Sports Mocks -- Dane Brugler/Rob Rang

4/15 updates:

Dane Brugler:
Menelik Watson, OT/Florida State
Menelik Watson, OT, Florida State: The Texans cut Eric Winston last offseason and while Derek Newton filled his shoes in 2012, Houston is on the lookout for a long-term answer at right tackle. Watson is very raw and inexperienced, but the athletic tools will land him in the first round.

Rob Rang:
Robert Woods, WR/Southern California
Andre Johnson re-emerged in 2012 as one of the NFL's elite wideouts but depth remains quite thin, especially with the torn Achilles suffered by Devier Posey in the playoff loss to New England. Woods was overshadowed in 2012 by the emergence of sophomore sensation Marqise Lee but was the more reliable route-runner and pass-catcher of the two. Physically tough and experienced playing inside and out, he'd be a perfect complement to Johnson.

Pat Kirwin:
DeAndre Hopkins, WR/Clemson
Hopkins caught 18 touchdown passes last year and never drops the ball. The Texans need someone opposite Andre Johnson -- and really need someone who gets into the end zone.

Of the 3, Brugler has the better pulse of what the chatter is imo.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #22
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

delete
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #23
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I've never gotten upset after a draft. I usually give the Texans FO the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the draft. Allowing the player(s) time to prove themselves and whatnot

That said, I'd be mildly irked if we took Menelik Watson in the 1st.
Old 04-15-2013   #24
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I've never gotten upset after a draft. I usually give the Texans FO the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the draft. Allowing the player(s) time to prove themselves and whatnot

That said, I'd be mildly irked if we took Menelik Watson in the 1st.
I like the player, but I haven't really studied him.
At first thought, I agree with you about not taking an OT early since we've got a bunch of them already; however, I back off that stance.

If we're convinced that a guy is a franchise player at certain position, I'd say go for it.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #25
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121565 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I've never gotten upset after a draft.
I used to get so pissed off durring the Capers era drafts...less so with Kubiak's guys...I still normally hate 1 or 2 of the picks.
Old 04-15-2013   #26
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 109604 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Dane Brugler:
Menelik Watson, OT/Florida State
Menelik Watson, OT, Florida State: The Texans cut Eric Winston last offseason and while Derek Newton filled his shoes in 2012, Houston is on the lookout for a long-term answer at right tackle. Watson is very raw and inexperienced, but the athletic tools will land him in the first round.
Another example of national media not doing adequate research.
Brisco_County is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #27
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Exactly.... The national media guys are more interested in hype and ratings than actually knowing anything about a team or making an accurate pick. They're just speculating.

Last edited by Wolf6151; 04-15-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #28
digitalswim
Sleepwalker

Rep Power: 1590 digitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respected

It's not just the national guys saying this though. It's the local hucksters Lance Z and John McLame err McClain. Of course it doesnt make it any more accurate but it does make you wonder where these guys are getting their info.
digitalswim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #29
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 64171 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalswim View Post
... but it does make you wonder where these guys are getting their info.

Posted using Tapatalk from my phone. May contain errors.
Old 04-15-2013   #30
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd be OK with Woods, Hopkins, or Ogletree in the first.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #31
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
I'm not sure where you guys are coming off with this critical observation about a scenario where the Texans would use their top pick on Menelik Watson, the FSU OT ? We of course have our francise LT in Duane Brown, and while RT is not as important as the all-important LT position it's still a very important position.
And we have a lot of uncertainty with the position as it stands now with the inconsistant play of Newton in his rookie year last year (effectively) plus the added concern of Newton having offseason knee surgery. In other words, it's not out of the question that the Texans make this move in this first round of next weeks Draft.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #32
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I like the player, but I haven't really studied him.
At first thought, I agree with you about not taking an OT early since we've got a bunch of them already; however, I back off that stance.

If we're convinced that a guy is a franchise player at certain position, I'd say go for it.
He's very raw but you can see the potential. Super athletic for a guy his size. I could see him being a very good RT with good coaching.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read