Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-14-2013   #61
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Lance Zierlein Mock Draft 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Patterson is Heyward Bey to me and overrated . Tyler Eifert is the best TE in the draft and in case nobody's noticed , the league is going more to the big athletic TEs . Dutch made the same case I would make and that is Schaub needs a vertical as in tall target in the red zone more than a vertical target to stretch the field .

Tyler Eifert may not be my preference but he is the best TE and Wrs and NT are deep in this draft .
If this is what you want, then Patterson in the 1st and Kelce in the 4th or Fauria in the 5th would represent better value. IMHO
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013   #62
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
If this is what you want, then Patterson in the 1st and Kelce in the 4th or Fauria in the 5th would represent better value. IMHO
I think a guy like Woods or Hopkins will be better than Patterson . Hunter had a better year last year than Patterson IIRC . Besides I don't think Vol Wrs light it up in the NFL .

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...see-volunteers
Old 04-14-2013   #63
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If this is what you want, then Patterson in the 1st and Kelce in the 4th or would represent better value. IMHO
That would be incredible. In fact that is how my next mock looks.
Old 04-14-2013   #64
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think a guy like Woods or Hopkins will be better than Patterson . Hunter had a better year last year than Patterson IIRC . Besides I don't think Vol Wrs light it up in the NFL .

Former Vols WR Rodgers will. IMHO

Patterson did very well last yr considering it was his 1st yr of college ball.

Hunter has unreal ability but his injury history scares me.

Vols WR's have history of being successful Guys like Stallworth/Alivin Harper/Anthony Miller/Stanley Morgan all had long and successful to moderately successful careers.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013   #65
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Vols WR's have history of being successful Guys like Stallworth/Alivin Harper/Anthony Miller/Stanley Morgan all had long and successful to moderately successful careers.
Add Meachem and Gault and what you have is guys who run fast down the field with no left or right turns .

I look and see what Hunter and Patterson did vs the SEC big boys .
Old 04-14-2013   #66
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Add Meachem and Gault and what you have is guys who run fast down the field with no left or right turns .

I look and see what Hunter and Patterson did vs the SEC big boys .
They do pretty well, thank you very much! LOL
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013   #67
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
They do pretty well, thank you very much! LOL
Patterson

9/29 @Georgia 2 rec 31 yds
10/13 @Mississippi St 2 rec 25 yd
10/20 Alabama 1 rec 25 yd
10/27 @South Carolina 3 rec 26 yd
Old 04-14-2013   #68
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Patterson

9/29 @Georgia L 51-44 2 31 15.5 1
10/13 @Mississippi St L 41-31 2 25 12.5 0
10/20 Alabama L 44-13 1 25 25.0 0
10/27 @South Carolina L 38-35 3 26 0
Don't worry about numbers.
The Vols have had a balance offense the last few years.

The one inconsistency is with the QB; otherwise, Tyler Bray would have been talked about as the number one QB in the draft.

If he only had minimized his inconsistency to the level of Andrew Luck (Luck was inconsistent in his Junior year), Bray would still have been regarded as a bona-fide first rounder.
Old 04-14-2013   #69
76Texan
Hall of Fame

One thing you need to keep in mind, Earl, is that against the big guns like Florida, Alabama, and Georgia, the Vols still amassed more yardage than those defenses normally allowed.

Bray never had a good game against the top teams in the SEC, thus the inconsistency I was talking about.

He got rattled and made poor decision that led to turnovers or he would take too many dump-offs unecessarily, or he would get all happy-feet.
Old 04-14-2013   #70
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
One thing you need to keep in mind, Earl, is that against the big guns like Florida, Alabama, and Georgia, the Vols still amassed more yardage than those defenses normally allowed.

Bray never had a good game against the top teams in the SEC, thus the inconsistency I was talking about.

He got rattled and made poor decision that led to turnovers or he would take too many dump-offs unecessarily, or he would get all happy-feet.
Hunter had 17 catches to Patterson's 8 in that 4 game span . Receiving is as much an art as it is about 40 yd dashes . Patterson is a great raw athlete but is he a polished WR and can he ever be ?

You are much better off taking a WR in the 2nd than in the 1st in this draft .

For the record , Hopkins had 26 catches in two games vs Auburn and LSU .
Old 04-14-2013   #71
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Hunter had 17 catches to Patterson's 8 in that 4 game span . Receiving is as much an art as it is about 40 yd dashes . Patterson is a great raw athlete but is he a polished WR and can he ever be ?

Earl, I had watched at least 15 Vols games the least two years, and not merely watching.

They have had a good runnig game (considering the defense they played against.). When they can run the ball, they would, to take the pressure off their QBs, whoever play that game.
In 2011, Hunter and Rodgers took turn stretching the field.
When the QB was not pressured, they would look at the X and Z receivers; if the first read is double- teamed, they went to the second read.
In 2012, it was Patterson and Hunter.

The second read was often another receiver, the TE, or the RB out of the backfield.

That's why all eleven guys on offense, plus the third receiver (Zac Rogers), all we given draftable grades by CBS Sports either this year or next.
Old 04-14-2013   #72
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Earl, I had watched at least 15 Vols games the last two years, and not merely watching.

They have had a good runnig game (considering the defense they played against.). When they can run the ball, they would, to take the pressure off their QBs, whoever play that game.
When the QB was not pressured, they would look at the X and Z receivers; if the first read is double- teamed, they went to the second read.

The second read was often another receiver, the TE, or the RB out of the backfield.

That's why all eleven guys on offense, plus the third receiver (Zac Rogers), all we given draftable grades by CBS Sports either this year or next.
Old 04-14-2013   #73
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Patterson's stock is similar to Tavon Austin, as both were used not only as pure receiver, but also to run reverses, and also as return men.

I don't know if you can get to this link directly or not, but look at the results when Patterson runs the ball, returns punts and KOs.

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/playerDetai...=694&player=84

That guy is dangerous every time the ball is in his hands; we call that a "playmaker".
Old 04-14-2013   #74
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Earl, I had watched at least 15 Vols games the least two years, and not merely watching.

Being drafted and being drafted high in the 1st are two different things . It usually takes two or three years for a wideout to hit his stride ... why ... cause the CB are just as fast , disguise their coverage , and you have to think / read faster and be smart enough to be in check with the QB .

I think most WRs fail because for every Jerry Rice , AJ , Reggie Wayne , and Calvin Johnson , there's a big fast guy who doesn't understand what it takes to be an NFL receiver .
Old 04-14-2013   #75
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Patterson's stock is similar to Tavon Austin, as both were used not only as pure receiver, but also to run reverses, and also as return men.
I would think Austin will be better than Patterson and Austin would help Schaub more if Kubiak would play to Austin's strengths .
Old 04-14-2013   #76
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I would think Austin will be better than Patterson and Austin would help Schaub more if Kubiak would play to Austin's strengths .
They both produced in college; Patterson against better competition.

Patterson is still raw in his route running, and he was able to achieve results despite an inconsistent QB (Bray vs Geno Smith.)

The guy with the better upside is Patterson, his size notwithstanding.
Old 04-14-2013   #77
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Some concerns about Patterson are coming to light as far as his mental grasp of the game, but I think that is going to be something each team will gauge for themselves. It would be tough to pass on him, but I do believe Hopkins & even Hunter are good players & possibly worthy of being the Texans pick. Hopkins seems to be the safest pick imo.

It's ironic that you knock Vols WR's by saying they don't light it up in the NFL, but earlier mentioned Woods saying you liked him better & considering he is from USC I think it is safe to say that USC has had its fair share of WR's who have come out w/ lofty expectations & then fizzled & disappeared in the NFL. I think they are 2 of the same kind to be honest & I'm not a big fan of USC WR's because of the more hype then production from its recent WR's whom have entered the NFL going back to Keyshawn Johnson....the ultimate hype machine.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013   #78
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
They both produced in college; Patterson against better competition.

Patterson is still raw in his route running, and he was able to achieve results despite an inconsistent QB (Bray vs Geno Smith.)

The guy with the better upside is Patterson, his size notwithstanding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
Some concerns about Patterson are coming to light as far as his mental grasp of the game, but I think that is going to be something each team will gauge for themselves. It would be tough to pass on him, but I do believe Hopkins & even Hunter are good players & possibly worthy of being the Texans pick. Hopkins seems to be the safest pick imo.

It's ironic that you knock Vols WR's by saying they don't light it up in the NFL, but earlier mentioned Woods saying you liked him better & considering he is from USC I think it is safe to say that USC has had its fair share of WR's who have come out w/ lofty expectations & then fizzled & disappeared in the NFL. I think they are 2 of the same kind to be honest & I'm not a big fan of USC WR's because of the more hype then production from its recent WR's whom have entered the NFL going back to Keyshawn Johnson....the ultimate hype machine.
The thing I don't see with Patterson is YAC . Even on kickoffs he doesn't seem to break tackles .

Here is rankings of WRs since 1999 . Just scroll through and see how many highly drafted Wrs pan out .

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...xpos&order=ASC
Old 04-14-2013   #79
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Rodgers does seem to play w/ some emotion & intensity to go along w/ his good physical skills. Those are some good attributes if he can keep his head on straight off the field & emotions in check on the field so that he doesn't hurt the team. I kinda compare him to Dez Bryant, whom most just watch & wait to see when he will screw up next.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013   #80
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Look at the 50 sec mark and unless I'm mistaken , he's scared to get popped . He's Ted Ginn .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ_qeWcDVvM

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read