Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-12-2013   #41
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Lance Zierlein Mock Draft 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaninlild View Post
I think the Texans are more likely to go TE in the first than WR given the history.
Why? Smithiak haven't taken a TE higher than the 4th round (or a WR higher than the 3rd round). I don't see any history that leans one way or the other.

The history I see is the Texans drafting best player available....at a need position. 2008, the Texans really needed a LT. Duane Brown. 2010, they needed a CB. Kareem Jackson. Of course, there's usually more than one need. You can make a case that WR, ILB, RT, or even OLB are needs. So that would give them some flexibility at which position they select in the 1st round.

TE? Sure, they need one. But someone to compete for the 3rd spot. Not a starter, or even someone that competes as a starter. If you are going by Texans history, TE doesn't make sense in the 1st round at all.
Old 04-13-2013   #42
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Why? Smithiak haven't taken a TE higher than the 4th round (or a WR higher than the 3rd round). I don't see any history that leans one way or the other.

The history I see is the Texans drafting best player available....at a need position. 2008, the Texans really needed a LT. Duane Brown. 2010, they needed a CB. Kareem Jackson. Of course, there's usually more than one need. You can make a case that WR, ILB, RT, or even OLB are needs. So that would give them some flexibility at which position they select in the 1st round.

TE? Sure, they need one. But someone to compete for the 3rd spot. Not a starter, or even someone that competes as a starter. If you are going by Texans history, TE doesn't make sense in the 1st round at all.
I concur.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013   #43
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123792 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
no thanks. we have a very good #1 tight end, and a solid #2 ... this is a position that could use depth, not a starter. with good talent still available at need positions like wide receiver and linebacker, we'd be be crazy to pass them up in favor of a guy who has to surpass two players to see any meaningful time on the field.
That starter is getti g up in age and makes too much money and gets hurt a lot. A TE at 27 would automatically be our best TE and get plenty of playing time. Also would allow us to let Daniels go next year and use the Money to to extend Cushing and Watt.

Also graham hasn't really shown too much. Now that Casey is gone if one of them goes down our offense will really suffer.

However this is a very deep draft for TE so I would rather wait till later to get one too.
Old 04-13-2013   #44
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Hunt would be a nice pick for us. We can draft WR in 2nd or 3rd rd where still talented prospects should be available.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013   #45
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123792 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
This would be our loss.

He will be ready to be AJ's replacement when father time catches up with AJ. Until then Patterson is a threat to take it to the house any time the ball is in his hands. Is Patterson a mensa candidate? No, but neither is/was AJ as a rookie.

I'm a draft Short in the 1st guy, but if patterson falls to the Texans at 27 the pick is a no brainer. IMHO
Agree on all points. Even if he needs to be coached up on route running, there are ways of getting the ball in his hands. It's not like Walter was a great route runner. Kubiak can scheme a guy open enough.

I would even let him return kicks. He is a threat to score everytime he touches the ball. That alone would make teams have to focus on him. That's what is really important anyway right? Someone to take some of the attention of of Andre.
Old 04-13-2013   #46
mussop
Hall of Fame

Would like to add that neither Eifert nor Ertz are just a TE. Both are capable and have lined up in-line, in the slot and outside the numbers. They are both matchup nightmares because they are really giant WR's who know how to get open and know how to catch the ball at it's highest point over defenders.

I'm not sure there is a WR in this draft that could come in and produce more faster than either one of these guys. Both are safer picks than ANY WR in this draft for sure.
Old 04-13-2013   #47
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Like I said, there are only so many balls to throw around.
With OD and Graham on the team and the way we like to get the ball to AJ and Foster (or any RB that can catch the ball, including Tate), another TE is not going to add much value to the outcome of the game.

Don't forget that I was the one who touted Eifert as the number one TE to watch since last year.

I really want the Texans to trade away the first round for a future first and something like a second or a third this year.

There will be some great player at the top half of the first next year that we'll have to trade up if we want them; real game changers.

Trading out of the first, you can still get some added value with that second or third rounder this year.

The team that get our first could package two first rounders to move up to the top to get the guy they want to win now, so it's not out of the equation, really.

Do it Rick!
Old 04-13-2013   #48
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 109604 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

From the comments section of the post, Lance's explanation regarding Patterson falling out of the first round:

Quote:
League source who has given me incredibly accurate info that has appeared in this blog for 5 years told me Patterson could very well fall out of the first round. When he says something like that, I listen. He was the one telling me to put Bruce Irvin in the 1st round when nobody else had that last year.
My thoughts: No one in the media is in the room during player interviews, and they don't have much visibility to some important aspects until after the draft. If you have a reliable source who does have visibility, then that information has a lot of influence.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013   #49
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
From the comments section of the post, Lance's explanation regarding Patterson falling out of the first round:
I've heard that he has had some really bad interviews.
Old 04-13-2013   #50
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post

My thoughts: No one in the media is in the room during player interviews, and they don't have much visibility to some important aspects until after the draft. If you have a reliable source who does have visibility, then that information has a lot of influence.
Ummmmm....I had Irvin in the first last year...

I doubt Patterson falls out of the first round, but regardless I wouldn't want to pass him up for a TE.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013   #51
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Like I said, there are only so many balls to throw around.
With OD and Graham on the team and the way we like to get the ball to AJ and Foster (or any RB that can catch the ball, including Tate), another TE is not going to add much value to the outcome of the game.

Don't forget that I was the one who touted Eifert as the number one TE to watch since last year.

I really want the Texans to trade away the first round for a future first and something like a second or a third this year.

There will be some great player at the top half of the first next year that we'll have to trade up if we want them; real game changers.

Trading out of the first, you can still get some added value with that second or third rounder this year.

The team that get our first could package two first rounders to move up to the top to get the guy they want to win now, so it's not out of the equation, really.

Do it Rick!
Disagree about the TE's but 1000000 X agree with the trade down. I have been banging the table for that since I started looking into this draft months ago. A first next year and another top 120 pick this year would be an incredible win.

Don't see it happening but there could be no better scenario for this draft.
Old 04-13-2013   #52
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Ummmmm....I had Irvin in the first last year...

I doubt Patterson falls out of the first round, but regardless I wouldn't want to pass him up for a TE.
Define TE. What is the difference between TE and WR to you? This isn't the 80's. TE's Like these guys are blown up WR's. They aren't guys that are limited to lining up next to OT's and just run short routes over the middle.
Old 04-13-2013   #53
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Define TE. What is the difference between TE and WR to you? This isn't the 80's. TE's Like these guys are blown up WR's. They aren't guys that are limited to lining up next to OT's and just run short routes over the middle.
This is not groundbreaking news that te's sometimes split out.

That's really not relevant though because your assertion that they are blown up wr's is incorrect. They are te's. They might be more versatile than some end of the line strictly te's but no TE can replace what a true wr brings, otherwise they wouldn't be te's they'd be wr's.

A true wr with speed and play making ability has run after the catch ability, field stretching ability....and....speed...

If we wanted a wr/TE type player we could have just kept Walter. But he doesn't do the things that we need from a second WR. Catch short routes and turn them into big gains...take the top of the defense...

No one is saying te's like Gronk and Hernandez aren't valuable and don't cause tons of problems for defenses, but considering this teams specific problems te's are much further down the list in comparison to more skill and playmaking at the wr position.

Also, let's not forget that dre hasn't been the healthiest guy. And he's another year older. Right now he's the only guy that can even be counted on to do anything at the wr position.

If we didn't have two capable te's already...sure. But that isn't the case and not often do you have this many high ability we'd projected to be around this late in the draft whereas te's rarely go very high. We can get another versatile TE later in this draft or next year pretty easily.

Last edited by Rey; 04-13-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013   #54
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Dang, I was looking forward to watch the guys from Washington - Seferian-Jenkins (6'6 a 260 something) play next year, but he just got suspended indefinitely for DUI with his car in the ditch.

Just a sophomore, and he had over 100 catches already.
What a waste!
Old 04-13-2013   #55
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
$3.5 million in bonus against $ 8.5 m salary.
I like Rick Smith as a GM, but this was a bad contract for the Texans. Folks wonder why we don't have any money in FA this year, contracts like this one are the reason why... I like OD, but from a financial standpoint a 1st round TE would make sense even though we have other much bigger team needs.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013   #56
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 121746 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I like Rick Smith as a GM, but this was a bad contract for the Texans. Folks wonder why we don't have any money in FA this year, contracts like this one are the reason why... I like OD, but from a financial standpoint a 1st round TE would make sense even though we have other much bigger team needs.
It's not as bad as his post made it look (Noc clue where $8.5 Million came from).

His 2013 salary is an even $4 Million, and with $1.75 of amortized bonus, it's a $5.75 Million cap hit. Not cheap by any means, but not quite as bad as the post you quoted indicated.

Edit: okay - he was including both remining years of his contract - not just 2013.
Old 04-13-2013   #57
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
This is not groundbreaking news that te's sometimes split out.

That's really not relevant though because your assertion that they are blown up wr's is incorrect. They are te's. They might be more versatile than some end of the line strictly te's but no TE can replace what a true wr brings, otherwise they wouldn't be te's they'd be wr's.

A true wr with speed and play making ability has run after the catch ability, field stretching ability....and....speed...

If we wanted a wr/TE type player we could have just kept Walter. But he doesn't do the things that we need from a second WR. Catch short routes and turn them into big gains...take the top of the defense...

No one is saying te's like Gronk and Hernandez aren't valuable and don't cause tons of problems for defenses, but considering this teams specific problems te's are much further down the list in comparison to more skill and playmaking at the wr position.

Also, let's not forget that dre hasn't been the healthiest guy. And he's another year older. Right now he's the only guy that can even be counted on to do anything at the wr position.

If we didn't have two capable te's already...sure. But that isn't the case and not often do you have this many high ability we'd projected to be around this late in the draft whereas te's rarely go very high. We can get another versatile TE later in this draft or next year pretty easily.
Disagree on what (certain)TE's bring to offenses. Do agree I would rather get one later. I really like Kelce and there are several solid project types that could be had later.
Old 04-14-2013   #58
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131162 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Rey last year mus and I had a knock down drag out over Colby Fleener. He likes te's. I'm not oposed to it if he's clearly the best player but we have a multitude of needs and I dont think te is one of them. If effert were a top 10 pick whom fell to 27 great
He's not. I said it last year and i'll say it this year...i'll be pissed if we pick a te in the first round.
Old 04-14-2013   #59
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
He actually mentions Patterson at one point, so... it was a conscious decision on his part to have him fall.
League source who has given me incredibly accurate info that has appeared in this blog for 5 years told me Patterson could very well fall out of the first round. When he says something like that, I listen. He was the one telling me to put Bruce Irvin in the 1st round when nobody else had that last year.
http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootbal...-get-a-weapon/
OK, so that's LZs own explanation in his Mock for claiming that WR Patterson drops all the way out of the first round. Well I ain't buying it, and I'm more convinced than ever that the Texans take him should he make it to the 27th pick.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013   #60
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Patterson is Heyward Bey to me and overrated . Tyler Eifert is the best TE in the draft and in case nobody's noticed , the league is going more to the big athletic TEs . Dutch made the same case I would make and that is Schaub needs a vertical as in tall target in the red zone more than a vertical target to stretch the field .

Tyler Eifert may not be my preference but he is the best TE and Wrs and NT are deep in this draft .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read