Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-06-2013   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2013 players to watch for Texans '14 draft

About this time of year, I try to identify positions and players to watch in the next college season that Houston could be interested in for the following draft. I feel comfortable that regardless of the round in this month's draft a WR, OLB, ILB and RT will be selected. I wished I could be as certain about the Nose but until this one is over who knows? Following are players I will focus on and where I have them rated. Of course our draft will probably change focus.

1. OG/OT Cyril Richardson 6'5" 335 Baylor pure LG that would allow Kubiak to allow Brooks to remain at RG where I have him starting in 2013. Richardson blocked for RG3 in 2011 as LT before moving to LG 2012. If Ben Jones can move to center, we should have a young dominating line lead by D. Brown.

2. OLB Morgan Breslin 6'2" 250 USC I mocked him for '13 before he returned. In 2012 he had 12 sacks. He might be a first rounder. 2014 is Reeds last year and he needs a great '13 to come back.

3. QB David Fales 6'3" 220 San Jose St. 4,196 yards 4,193 yds 9.3 avg 33 TDs 9 INTs but 26 sacks; behind our Oline he should remain on his feet. Decent arm but can get stronger. New coach could disprove claim he is system QB. Excellent review: http://www.pigskinheaven.com/content...as-David-Fales

4. ILB Andrew Jackson 6'2" 262 Western Kentucky tackling machine who returned to have his rank improve. Poor decision. Tackling machine.

5. RT Rob Crisp 6'7" 312 NC State has allowed only 1 sack in 2011 and 12. May be way undervalued here.

Last edited by badboy; 04-07-2013 at 08:28 PM.
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013   #2
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2013 players to watch for Texans '14 draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
About this time of year, I try to identify positions and players to watch in the next college season that Houston could be interested in for the following draft. I feel comfortable that regardless of the round in this month's draft a WR, OLB, ILB and RT will be selected. I wished I could be as certain about the Nose but until this one is over who knows? Following are players I will focus on and where I have them rated. Of course our draft will probably change focus.

1. OG/OT Cyril Richardson 6'5" 335 Baylor pure LG that would allow Kubiak to allow Brooks to remain at RG where I have him starting in 2013. Richardson blocked for RG3 in 2011 as LT before moving to LG 2012. If Ben Jones can move to center, we should have a young dominating line lead by D. Brown.

2. OLB Morgan Breslin 6'2" 250 USC I mocked him for '13 before he returned. In 2012 he had 12 sacks. He might be a first rounder. 2014 is Reeds last year and he needs a great '13 to come back.

3. QB David Fales 6'3" 220 USC 4,196 yards 4,193 yds 9.3 avg 33 TDs 9 INTs but 26 sacks; behind our Oline he should remain on his feet. Decent arm but can get stronger. New coach could disprove claim he is system QB. Excellent review: http://www.pigskinheaven.com/content...as-David-Fales

4. ILB Andrew Jackson 6'2" 262 Western Kentucky tackling machine who returned to have his rank improve. Poor decision. Tackling machine.

5. RT Rob Crisp 6'7" 312 NC State has allowed only 1 sack in 2011 and 12. May be way undervalued here.
I love Richardson. No way he'll be available for us unless we really stink it up this year or he regresses. He would of probably been gone by the time we pick this year had he come out.
Old 04-07-2013   #3
coon
Veteran

Rep Power: 4738 coon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respected

A.J. McCarron. The kid could be the Qb to oust Schaub if we can get our hands on him.
coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013   #4
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Players I like and want to keep an eye on:

Gabe Jackson-OG Mississippi St.
C.J. Fiedorowicz-TE Iowa
Jake Matthews-OT Texas A&M
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013   #5
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
3. QB David Fales 6'3" 220 USC 4,196 yards 4,193 yds 9.3 avg 33 TDs 9 INTs but 26 sacks; behind our Oline he should remain on his feet. Decent arm but can get stronger. New coach could disprove claim he is system QB. Excellent review: http://www.pigskinheaven.com/content...as-David-Fales
You have a typo, Fales is at San Jose State.
Old 04-07-2013   #6
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

We should move this to the College Football section

Seminoles to look for:

The Noles new DC is the old Alabama secondary coach and the team will run a 3-4 defense.

ILB Christian Jones

6' 4" 232 (likely will be bigger in 2013), long, athletic senior that would test well at the combine. Will play ILB in a 3-4 in 2013. He has all the tools to be a top 3 ILB linebacker come draft time. Solid in coverage over the middle and down the field, makes plays behind the line of scrimmage. This is a guy that the Texans should be looking at. Jones Highlights. Jones is going to be a highly rated prospect.

S/CB Lamarcus Joyner

At 5' 8" 195, he plays very aggressively and reminds me of Ed Reed or Polamalu, believe it or not. Joyner played corner as a true freshman and played very well. He moved to safety where he played the past two seasons. He is moving back to corner for his senior season. He is very good with the ball in his hands and also is a kick returner. He may be better suited for that centerfield safety type role in the NFL, as he can cover alot of ground and make plays along the sideline, ala Polamalu. Joyner is a big hitter and does a good job of separating the receiver from the ball. Joyner Highlights

S Terrence Brooks

5' 11" 197. Improved as a starter for his first year as a junior. Will start again at safety in 2013. Could be a mid-round selection, depending on the year he has.

DT Timmy Jernigan

6'1 " 297. Penetrator. Only a junior, but could be one of the most productive interior linemen in the country in 2013. Jernigan Highlights

RB James Wilder

6' 2" 225. Star in the making. Only a junior, but he is a physical freak that could come out if he has a big season. All signs point to a shared backfield, so I doubt he makes a big enough splash to come out early. Wilder Highlights

WR Rashad Greene

6' 175. Very elusive and quick junior. Could be a top 5 receiver by year end. Greene Highlights

Mute all those videos, horribly annoying music.

Other players around the ACC:

Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson

Will likely be the #1 receiver in the draft next year. Think DeAndre Hopkins but faster, stronger, more sudden in his cuts, with better hands. Takes over big games.

Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson

I have him as my #1 QB. Great feel for the game.

Jeremiah Attaochu, LB, Georgia Tech

Should be one of the top pass rushers in the ACC in 2013.

James Gayle, DE, Virginia Tech

Another pass rusher. This guy needs a big year to improve his stock.

Antone Exum, CB, Virginia Tech

5 INTs last year on a top ranked pass defense. Led the ACC with 21 passes defensed. He had an offseason injury, but should still play 80%+ of the 2013 season.

Bryn Renner, QB, North Carolina

54 TDs to 20 INTs over the past two seasons. 3,000+ passing yards each year with a completion percentage above 66% during that time as well.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 04-07-2013 at 12:56 PM.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013   #7
greekdbag
Veteran

Rep Power: 1796 greekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
We should move this to the College Football section

Seminoles to look for:

The Noles new DC is the old Alabama secondary coach and the team will run a 3-4 defense.

ILB Christian Jones

6' 4" 232 (likely will be bigger in 2013), long, athletic senior that would test well at the combine. Will play ILB in a 3-4 in 2013. He has all the tools to be a top 3 ILB linebacker come draft time. Solid in coverage over the middle and down the field, makes plays behind the line of scrimmage. This is a guy that the Texans should be looking at. Jones Highlights. Jones is going to be a highly rated prospect.

S/CB Lamarcus Joyner

At 5' 8" 195, he plays very aggressively and reminds me of Ed Reed or Polamalu, believe it or not. Joyner played corner as a true freshman and played very well. He moved to safety where he played the past two seasons. He is moving back to corner for his senior season. He is very good with the ball in his hands and also is a kick returner. He may be better suited for that centerfield safety type role in the NFL, as he can cover alot of ground and make plays along the sideline, ala Polamalu. Joyner is a big hitter and does a good job of separating the receiver from the ball. Joyner Highlights

S Terrence Brooks

5' 11" 197. Improved as a starter for his first year as a junior. Will start again at safety in 2013. Could be a mid-round selection, depending on the year he has.

DT Timmy Jernigan

6'1 " 297. Penetrator. Only a junior, but could be one of the most productive interior linemen in the country in 2013. Jernigan Highlights

RB James Wilder

6' 2" 225. Star in the making. Only a junior, but he is a physical freak that could come out if he has a big season. All signs point to a shared backfield, so I doubt he makes a big enough splash to come out early. Wilder Highlights

WR Rashad Greene

6' 175. Very elusive and quick junior. Could be a top 5 receiver by year end. Greene Highlights

Mute all those videos, horribly annoying music.

Other players around the ACC:

Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson

Will likely be the #1 receiver in the draft next year. Think DeAndre Hopkins but faster, stronger, more sudden in his cuts, with better hands. Takes over big games.

Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson

I have him as my #1 QB. Great feel for the game.

Jeremiah Attaochu, LB, Georgia Tech

Should be one of the top pass rushers in the ACC in 2013.

James Gayle, DE, Virginia Tech

Another pass rusher. This guy needs a big year to improve his stock.

Antone Exum, CB, Virginia Tech

5 INTs last year on a top ranked pass defense. Led the ACC with 21 passes defensed. He had an offseason injury, but should still play 80%+ of the 2013 season.

Bryn Renner, QB, North Carolina

54 TDs to 20 INTs over the past two seasons. 3,000+ passing yards each year with a completion percentage above 66% during that time as well.
Repped. Joyner was a five star right? He has always stuck out to me when watching FSU.
greekdbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-07-2013   #8
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekdbag View Post
Repped. Joyner was a five star right? He has always stuck out to me when watching FSU.
Yea, he was the #1 rated corner by most folks coming out of high school. Jones and Jernigan were also five stars. Wilder was also a five star according to some.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013   #9
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by coon View Post
A.J. McCarron. The kid could be the Qb to oust Schaub if we can get our hands on him.
He is currently ranked #1 QB with championship and will probably go top ten.
Old 04-07-2013   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Players I like and want to keep an eye on:

Gabe Jackson-OG Mississippi St.
C.J. Fiedorowicz-TE Iowa
Jake Matthews-OT Texas A&M
Good choices but Matthews could be #1 pick like his former teammate is projected this month.
Old 04-07-2013   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
You have a typo, Fales is at San Jose State.
Of course, thanks for heads up!
Old 04-08-2013   #12
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

at this stage of the 2014 draft i will always look at the more "sexy" positions namely QB, WR. but seen as more than likely we will be taking a WR early this year ill be looking at the following QBs:
Logan Thomas
Teddy Bridgewater
Aaron Murray *
Tajh Boyd
Johnny Manziel *
Bryn Renner *

The 3 thats i have * i will be looking with much more intent, these guys i like the most

until the mid way through the season then ill start looking at O-line, D-line, etc
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013   #13
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Nick Montana, Tulane; he's only a Jr but looks like a winner.
Guess who he is and what position he plays.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013   #14
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Brandon Coleman (Rutgers); see if he can blossom into Megatron 2.0

Marquise Lee (USC), together with Watkins, and Coleman; this is the trio of WRs that may form the best WR class since quite awhile.
Old 04-09-2013   #15
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Clowney, S. Carolina
Thomas, Oregon
Old 04-12-2013   #16
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Clemson's receiving corp remains deep.
A Jr might break out along side with Watkins.
His name is Charone Peake and he was a five star recruit.
He has a complete package, just need fine tuning.
Old 04-12-2013   #17
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Another program with great depth at receiver is Florida St.
I'm looking for Kelvin Benjamin to have a great year.
Another big tall and fast Underclassman (Rs Sophomore) that might declare early.
Just the sight of him coming at you can break down a lot of DBs.
Old 04-12-2013   #18
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by coon View Post
I wonder how his stock is going to change if they have another great year and he plays well.

You know he's going to get picked apart this coming season...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013   #19
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I wonder how his stock is going to change if they have another great year and he plays well.

You know he's going to get picked apart this coming season...
His arm strength is going to be under heavy scrutiny, that's for sure.
He needs to work on that.
Old 04-13-2013   #20
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Clowney, S. Carolina
Thomas, Oregon
Jadeveon Clowney. Yeah, that guy is going to be a beast!
Wait, he's already a beast. I would draft him today and not even wait until next year.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read