Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-12-2013   #21
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Lance Zierlein Mock Draft 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
He actually mentions Patterson at one point, so... it was a conscious decision on his part to have him fall.
Maybe because of his sloppy technique running routes. He's pretty electric once the ball's in his hands, but considering Kubiak's love for running perfect routes and being in the right place at the right time...I don't see us targeting him.
Old 04-12-2013   #22
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Next year's WR crop will have several elite talents (i.e. Brandon Coleman, Marquise Lee, and Sammy Watkins).

I don't know that this is the year to look for Andre's replacement rather than a sufficient WR2.
If they are elite talents then they shouldn't make it to our pick.

Hence the key word "possible"...

There are some very talented guys in this crop that will likely fall due to various concerns.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013   #23
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Maybe because of his sloppy technique running routes. He's pretty electric once the ball's in his hands, but considering Kubiak's love for running perfect routes and being in the right place at the right time...I don't see us targeting him.
If we don't have coaches that can teach guys how to run routes better then what are they here for...
Old 04-12-2013   #24
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20124 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I wouldn't be pissed with the TE selection....

But how much longer is Schaub going to be around?? Do we want to pass on a possible Andre replacement down the road because Schaub may or may not be able to fully utilize their skill set?

I don't know....

If Eifert makes us that much better right now, then I maybe we should grit and bare it...
I don't see any AJ replacement in this years draft. If we went TE it would make more sense based on Matt's arm strength, or lack thereof. But based on also needing help at LB, OL, DL, and DB, I hope they simply go BPA.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013   #25
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
There aren't enough balls to go around for three TEs.
Granted, Graham's contract will be up after this season, but whatever new contract he's going to sign should probably be less than the $2M per that a first rounder @27 will require.

If he balls out, the better; however, with the way the Texans spread the ball, AJ, OD and Foster should get a lot of targets.

The added value for an Eifert, IMO, would not be enough to warrants a first round pick at TE.
I don't disagree with that at all...
Old 04-12-2013   #26
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
I don't see any AJ replacement in this years draft.
That mindset is baffling.

If you don't see WR's in this draft that could possibly be number one receivers then I don't know what to tell you.

If you're holding out for another prospect like Andre or Calvin Johnson or Julio Jones or Green in Cincy don't hold your breath. We likely won't be drafting that high for a while.
Old 04-12-2013   #27
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If we don't have coaches that can teach guys how to run routes better then what are they here for...
Do we know it's coaching? Justin Hunter, his teammate, is one of the best route runners in this years draft.

Coaching? Eh, maybe not...
Old 04-12-2013   #28
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142677 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Do we know it's coaching? Justin Hunter, his teammate, is one of the best route runners in this years draft.

College coaches don't get to spend as much time with these guys as a pro coach does.

I think Rey's point was that with all of Patterson's talent our coaches should be good enough to teach him how to run his routes correctly.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013   #29
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 35195 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That mindset is baffling.

If you don't see WR's in this draft that could possibly be number one receivers then I don't know what to tell you.

If you're holding out for another prospect like Andre or Calvin Johnson or Julio Jones or Green in Cincy don't hold your breath. We likely won't be drafting that high for a while.
Even if you get that kind of high pick you have to be there the year that kind of guy becomes available. It is next to impossible to get another Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, etc.

San Francisco is still waiting for the next Jerry Rice.
Dallas is still waiting for the next Michael Irvin.
Chicago is still waiting for the next Walter Payton.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013   #30
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
College coaches don't get to spend as much time with these guys as a pro coach does.

I think Rey's point was that with all of Patterson's talent our coaches should be good enough to teach him how to run his routes correctly.
Maybe so, but how long are we willing to wait if it is a coachable problem? We all know how anal Kubiak is when it comes to his offense. Players like Foster, Brandon Brooks, Posey, etc never even see the field offensively until they learn and run the offense the way he wants it. Being a 1st rounder, I'd expect them contributing from day 1.

Who knows who's right? It's a crapshoot, but I'd think my chances would be better going defense in the 1st.
Old 04-12-2013   #31
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 35195 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Maybe so, but how long are we willing to wait if it is a coachable problem? We all know how anal Kubiak is when it comes to his offense. Players like Foster, Brandon Brooks, Posey, etc never even see the field offensively until they learn and run the offense the way he wants it. Being a 1st rounder, I'd expect them contributing from day 1.

Who knows who's right? It's a crapshoot, but I'd think my chances would be better going defense in the 1st.
Outside of AJ the available WR options at the start of the season are:

Martin: a slot receiver
LeStar jean: hasn't shown enough in 2 years.
Jeff Maehl: bounced between practice squad and roster.
Some random FA WR the Texans will sign after the draft.

Based on that, Patterson WOULD start from Day 1 as WR #2. Posey is injured and Patterson is better than Jean or Maehl or the unnamed FA WR. They don't need Patterson to be a superstar in year 1, they just need him to catch around 40 balls and get a few touchdowns. He can certainly do that.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013   #32
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 52595 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

no thanks. we have a very good #1 tight end, and a solid #2 ... this is a position that could use depth, not a starter. with good talent still available at need positions like wide receiver and linebacker, we'd be be crazy to pass them up in favor of a guy who has to surpass two players to see any meaningful time on the field.
Old 04-12-2013   #33
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This would be our loss.

He will be ready to be AJ's replacement when father time catches up with AJ. Until then Patterson is a threat to take it to the house any time the ball is in his hands. Is Patterson a mensa candidate? No, but neither is/was AJ as a rookie.

I'm a draft Short in the 1st guy, but if patterson falls to the Texans at 27 the pick is a no brainer. IMHO
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013   #34
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Sounds like that's Gary's problem.
Old 04-12-2013   #35
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Trust me I saw quite a bit of Vol football this yr. Dooley was in way over his head. He only got the Tennessee job because of his family name and he failed miserably. Look at his record vs the talent on the squad, it speaks vo9lumes.

Unless everybody with talent was overrated and Dooley was able to coach them up. LOL

Dooley was quite possibly the wosrt college HC that I've seen in a while. Dooley vs/ Saban/Muschamp/Richt/Mullen, even Miles = LOL
Old 04-12-2013   #36
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:

PN was right...I was saying that our coaches should be able to coach him up to a certain degree...

Patterson has only had one year with a big time program...

He came from JUCO...Not to say that you can't get good coaching in JUCO, but I'm willing to bet that NFL coaching is better...
Old 04-12-2013   #37
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't say that Hunter is among the top five route runner, not even sure about top ten. If he was, he would have been all the rave; just saying.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013   #38
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

A stud TE would be nice if we didn't already have OD on the roster and I don't remember how much guaranteed money we still owe him, so TE in the 1st isn't likely. I also think we have to many needs to fill to be drafting a TE in the 1st or using a BPA approach to this draft.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013   #39
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
A stud TE would be nice if we didn't already have OD on the roster and I don't remember how much guaranteed money we still owe him, so TE in the 1st isn't likely. I also think we have to many needs to fill to be drafting a TE in the 1st or using a BPA approach to this draft.
$3.5 million in bonus against $ 8.5 m salary.
Old 04-12-2013   #40
Texaninlild
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4558 Texaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Texaninlild

I think the Texans are more likely to go TE in the first than WR given the history. I think a 2 TE set would be ideal for Schuaby, but we had Casey and never used him appropriately so I question if Kubes would adapt the offense to that style?? I still do not see a WR coming off the board for us until Rd2 or 3 IMO.

Everything I read on Ogletree is that he is an accident waiting to happen and stuck on stupid, however well he scores athletically. I would love to see another stud ILB though next to Cush.

I still like the raw athleticism I see in Hunt. Watt 2.0 possibly... Just imagine QBs trying to get throws off with the giant white swatters on both sides.

I am a Christian

Philippians 4:13
Texaninlild is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read