Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-12-2013   #1
ASidd_1990
Veteran

Rep Power: 150 ASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Lance Zierlein Mock Draft 2.0

http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootbal...-get-a-weapon/

Quote:
27. Houston - Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame: If the board falls this way, the Texans would have to strongly consider taking Eifert at this spot. Gary Kubiak and Rick Smith are from a system that has rarely valued the WR position as a 1st round pick dating back to their Denver days and I’m not sure that is going to change this year despite their massive need at that position. Eifert is a very effective pass catcher who would often line up split out at WR at Notre Dame. He’s more fluid in space than of the other TEs the Texans have, but he would need to convince the Texans he could become a serviceable blocker since they don’t carry TEs who don’t block at all. If the Texans were to draft Eifert, that would mean they could strongly consider cutting Owen Daniels after 2013 and clearing some cap space in an effort to get Brian Cushing’s new deal done and maybe even J.J. Watt’s. Safety is a possibility in this spot and I’m sure they will definitely have Datone Jones and Margus Hunt on their board as well since Antonio Smith’s contract is up after 2013 and both Jones and Hunt are good fits in Wade Phillips’ 1-gap scheme.
Sigh another TE?

ASidd_1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013   #2
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316
Default Re: Lance Zierlein Mock Draft 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASidd_1990 View Post
Eifert?

I've been calling for a BAD ASS TE alongside Mr. Daniels for a while, so this would be glorious.
Old 04-12-2013   #3
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Well if you're of the opinion that Schaub's noodle arm can't make the long throws, an short to intermediate target that can catch and block would be ideal. I wouldn't be upset with Eifert, he will be a much better TE than OD is right now.
Old 04-12-2013   #4
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been reviewing the Texans and Saints pre-season tapes.

One of the 3 guys (Brock, Byrne, or Supernaw), I think, will probably make the squad next year - my ranking is in that order.

The highest I think the Texans will use on a TE is probably the third round.
However, given the shortage at the top end, it's more likely that they will use a later pick, if at all. My guess is a guy with pass-catching ability (but lacking in the blocking department such that his draft stock is depressed.)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

how could Texans pass on Cordarrelle Patterson?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013   #6
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69042 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASidd_1990 View Post
The Texans didn't draft a TE in either '11 or '12, and with OD's age and injury history, I'd have no problem with Eifert.
Old 04-12-2013   #7
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89407 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

As much as I love LZ...puke.
Old 04-12-2013   #8
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 226054 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

As someone who wanted us to take Fleener last year, I wouldn't be totally opposed to Eifert.

But I'm expecting us to draft defense first.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013   #9
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 226054 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

OK.

I just looked over this mock. And, granted, I haven't been able to educate myself on this year's draft like I've tried to do the past few years but...

We take Eifert over Patterson or Ogletree? Really?

I'm not seeing that.
Old 04-12-2013   #10
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post

Austin at 9?
Hopkins at 25?

Eifert is a good player, but I question this selection. For this to happen the Texans would have to pass on Keenan Allen, Cordarelle Patterson, and Alec Ogletree. If those 4 were available to me I would probably rank them:

1. Patterson
2. Allen
3. Ogletree
4. Eifert.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013   #11
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Ogletree would not be a good pick for us IMO. Not a fan.

But passing over Patterson would suck.

I like Eifert, but I'm not down with that selection. Would rather a trade down if there was a partner or...I dunno...Taking the dynamic receiver that fell into our laps..
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013   #12
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Well if you're of the opinion that Schaub's noodle arm can't make the long throws, an short to intermediate target that can catch and block would be ideal. I wouldn't be upset with Eifert, he will be a much better TE than OD is right now.
I wouldn't be pissed with the TE selection....

But how much longer is Schaub going to be around?? Do we want to pass on a possible Andre replacement down the road because Schaub may or may not be able to fully utilize their skill set?

I don't know....

If Eifert makes us that much better right now, then I maybe we should grit and bare it...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013   #13
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post

LZ doesn't have anybody in the first round taking Patterson, so I'm thinking he just had a mental lapse, maybe had to rush too much to make a deadline.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013   #14
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
LZ doesn't have anybody in the first round taking Patterson, so I'm thinking he just had a mental lapse, maybe had to rush too much to make a deadline.
He actually mentions Patterson at one point, so... it was a conscious decision on his part to have him fall.
Old 04-12-2013   #15
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

But how much longer is Schaub going to be around?? Do we want to pass on a possible Andre replacement down the road because Schaub may or may not be able to fully utilize their skill set?

I don't know....

If Eifert makes us that much better right now, then I maybe we should grit and bare it...
There aren't enough balls to go around for three TEs.
Granted, Graham's contract will be up after this season, but whatever new contract he's going to sign should probably be less than the $2M per that a first rounder @27 will require.

If he balls out, the better; however, with the way the Texans spread the ball, AJ, OD and Foster should get a lot of targets.

The added value for an Eifert, IMO, would not be enough to warrants a first round pick at TE.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013   #16
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Draft Countdown made the same pick for Houston.

Quote:
It’s time for the Texans to begin thinking about the long-term future of their passing attack because Matt Schaub, Andre Johnson and Owen Daniels are all on the wrong side of thirty. The situation at tight end might be most dire because Daniels has always struggled to stay healthy and James Casey bolted as a free agent. Tyler Eifert of Notre Dame is a matchup nightmare with a large frame, excellent athleticism, enough speed to get down the seam, reliable hands and outstanding body control and ball skills. The addition of Eifert would help ensure the continued success of Houston’s already potent passing attack, especially in the red zone. Zach Ertz of Stanford could be another alternative. If it’s a wide receiver that Houston wants there should be plenty of enticing options at this point, possibly including Keenan Allen of Cal, DeAndre Hopkins of Clemson and Justin Hunter of Tennessee. Don’t completely rule out a quarterback either because Schaub isn’t getting any younger and similar move worked out pretty well for the Packers when they chose Aaron Rodgers despite the presence of Brett Favre. There is room for an upgrade at right tackle too and it wouldn’t hurt to add some depth along the defensive line and at linebacker either.
Link.

I would oppose this selection. I understand the philosophy of Best Available Player, but sometimes you do not have a choice. We have --literally-- no one next to Cushing. WR#2 is practically vacant, as is a third OLB for rotation.

As always though, I'd have to reserve judgement until the end of the season. It's just difficult to be excited over this pick.
Brisco_County is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013   #17
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

I don't know....

Next year's WR crop will have several elite talents (i.e. Brandon Coleman, Marquise Lee, and Sammy Watkins).

I don't know that this is the year to look for Andre's replacement rather than a sufficient WR2.
Old 04-12-2013   #18
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 30419 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Draft Countdown made the same pick for Houston.

Link.

I would oppose this selection. I understand the philosophy of Best Available Player, but sometimes you do not have a choice. We have --literally-- no one next to Cushing. WR#2 is practically vacant, as is a third OLB for rotation.

As always though, I'd have to reserve judgement until the end of the season. It's just difficult to be excited over this pick.
Exactly! And that's why I'm here in the first 3 rounds:

1.) Kevin Minter – ILB – LSU
2.) Da'Rick Rogers – WR – Tennessee Tech
3.) Corey Lemonier – OLB – Auburn
3.) Jordan Reed – TE – Florida

Might flip-flop Reed with Lemonier, but same difference...and I think they'll be there at those spots.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013   #19
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
He actually mentions Patterson at one point, so... it was a conscious decision on his part to have him fall.
Maybe, but that's still surprising to me.
I watched some tape on Patterson and he's very, very gifted, as a matter of fact almost too much so because he's got what I would call a "Reggie Bush-complex" in the sense that he repeatedly tries and often succeeds in doubling back on many plays to outrun the defense. This was something that Bush did in college, but it seemed to take years for him to understand he couldn't do that in the NFL like college because of the difference in speed of the defenses.
But this Patterson does everything on the offense including running the ball (reverses), kick returns, and of course pass receiving. He's an elite athlete and if the Texans had him at 27 (and it ain't gonna happen), I'd be stunned and really pizzed if they passed on him.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013   #20
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55805 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

WR is deeper than TE (imo) so I'm down with this pick. TE is a need at this point. Laugh all you want, but what TE have we drafted in the last couple of years? And we've lost two good ones - count em two in the last two years.

We could pick up a god WR in rd 2 or 3. But I could also see a WR, a safety, or a LB too at #1. If there is a trade partner, I wouldn't mind picking up an extra #3 which could be a good spot for an ILB or safety.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read