Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-11-2013   #21
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brandon Brooks Shaping Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
This is good news. I fully expect Brooks to be the starter at RG next season, Jones will be the primary backup at all interior O-line positions, and I expect the Texans to draft an OG in the 3rd - 5th rounds to be a backup and rotate at LG with Wade Smith and then replace him in 2014. With the signing of Ryan Harris, I don't expect an OT to be drafted this year.
I think that would be a huge mistake. Harris is at best an OK "swing tackle" that can be used to fill in when the starter goes down. With Newton recovering from knee surgery that leaves only Mondek or Gardner to backup Harris. That would be awful risky if you ask me.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013   #22
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 33080 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Boy is Big Country; surely he wants to spend sometimes with his mom on their 500-acre ranch. Hunting and fishing are his game; he's not going miss quail season, I don't think.

There might be a girl friend too, you know.
Let's see you have a "short" chance to make millions of dollars and develop into a player for 8 years.. do I sit at home with my "gf" or do I take advantage of a opportunity that less than .05% of people have..

Hmm... I think that's an easy answer

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013   #23
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Quail season is football season.
In Texas, it doesn't end until Feb 24th; in Georgia, Feb 28th.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013   #24
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
Let's see you have a "short" chance to make millions of dollars and develop into a player for 8 years.. do I sit at home with my "gf" or do I take advantage of a opportunity that less than .05% of people have..

Hmm... I think that's an easy answer
I dunno Silvr, players are human, too.
Some of them have wife and kids (even some rookies.)
For the rookies, it had been a long season.
They spent a lot of time the previous training to get ready for the combine and/or their work-out before the draft. Some have many private work-outs in different cities all across the country (lot of traveling.) In a normal year, the OTA follows shortly and their schedule never really stopped until the end of the play-offs (for those whose teams made it that far.)
This is the first real chance for them to have a little time off.

Besides, according to the new CBA:

Prior to the commencement of the Club's official offseason workout
program:

... (ii) play*ers are not permitted to participate in Club-supervised workouts, Club-supervised
practices, group or individual meetings with coaches, group or individual film study with
coaches, or group or individual playbook study with coaches;

... and (iv) play*ers' activities may not be directed or supervised by any coaches.

There's not much difference staying or going home for a short while.
And I would say time-off for reflection is always beneficial, but that's just me.
Old 04-18-2013   #25
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Down to 325 lbs, that's great news, sounds like he's coming into the upcoming season with the right attitude.
So I wonder where does this leave Ben Jones, the teams starting RG beginning 'bout mid year and lasting thru the playoffs last season ? Does Brooks & Jones become the starters at guard and they release Wade Smith, or are the starters Brooks and Smith and Jones is the backup at center & guard ?
Jones was benched late in the season ... and Brooks took over the starters spot. I dont recall if Jones started the Cincy game but I know for a fact that he didnt start the final playoff game against the Pats.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013   #26
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 91652 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Jones was benched late in the season ... and Brooks took over the starters spot. I dont recall if Jones started the Cincy game but I know for a fact that he didnt start the final playoff game against the Pats.
According to both NFL.com and HT.com, Jones started every game - including playoff games - from the Ravens game on.
Old 04-18-2013   #27
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I want to see Jones behind Myers learning that center position. We are slowing building our backup depth and improving some starting positions such as RT and hopefully in draft WR2 and ILB. In the thread I posted about Step up Texans, there are some players who could relieve my mind (and coaches also, lol) with quality improvement this season. It would be sweet to enter 2014 draft seeking only quality backups with ability to draft pure BPA every round.
Old 04-18-2013   #28
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I can't remember if Jones started or not but I do remember the Texans saying something about having Brooks play since he was bigger and might be able to handle Wolfolk a little more. Jones doesn't have the "sand" in his seat, so to speak, to handle the bigger NT's. Plus he may not have had the upper body strength then that he needed to play in the NFL. Hopefully that will be remedied by the beginning of this season.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013   #29
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
I can't remember if Jones started or not but I do remember the Texans saying something about having Brooks play since he was bigger and might be able to handle Wolfolk a little more. Jones doesn't have the "sand" in his seat, so to speak, to handle the bigger NT's. Plus he may not have had the upper body strength then that he needed to play in the NFL. Hopefully that will be remedied by the beginning of this season.
Problem is after the Bengals game (in which Jones and Brooks split the number of snaps equally - Snap counts can be found at Football Outsiders), Jones took the majority of the snaps against the Patriots.

The Pats weren't particular about it though; they had Wilfork working Wade Smith over (and somewhat thoroughly) just the same. That guy is just difficult to game plan for now that both of their edge guys are pretty good at setting the edges (Ninkovich and Chandler Jones).

We need another blocking TE and Greg Jones so that we can run the outside zone plays better. That's the only way to wear Wilfork (and Kyle Love) down, IMO.
Old 04-21-2013   #30
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 33080 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Problem is after the Bengals game (in which Jones and Brooks split the number of snaps equally - Snap counts can be found at Football Outsiders), Jones took the majority of the snaps against the Patriots.

The Pats weren't particular about it though; they had Wilfork working Wade Smith over (and somewhat thoroughly) just the same. That guy is just difficult to game plan for now that both of their edge guys are pretty good at setting the edges (Ninkovich and Chandler Jones).

We need another blocking TE and Greg Jones so that we can run the outside zone plays better. That's the only way to wear Wilfork (and Kyle Love) down, IMO.
what's that run outside zone against a big fat guy.. lol yah right I don't think we even attempted that more than a few times. Innovative game planning eh...

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #31
ASidd_1990
Veteran

Rep Power: 151 ASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Good. Looking forward to seeing it.
**** you!!!
ASidd_1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #32
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 357040 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASidd_1990 View Post
**** you!!!
Stop it. If you want to report a post there is a function for that. Don't endeavor in profanity laced trolling.
Old 04-22-2013   #33
ASidd_1990
Veteran

Rep Power: 151 ASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Stop it. If you want to report a post there is a function for that. Don't endeavor in profanity laced trolling.
My bad, it's all in good fun.
ASidd_1990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read