Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-10-2013   #41
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 87036 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dobbins, McCain drawing interest (both re-sign with texans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
What a dumbass!!
I heard a cruel, vile rumor about him... I heard he is a Liberal!

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!

Last edited by False Start; 04-10-2013 at 09:05 PM.
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013   #42
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
I heard a cruel, vile rumor about him... I head he is a Liberal!
Nothin' wrong with that.

Back on topic: glad to see Dobbins re-signed, he's great for depth if nothing else and was a magician with fumbled balls last season.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013   #43
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dobbins, McCain drawing interest

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Well, you apparently have no clue of what you're talking about. Keep your damn mouth shut
You're so rude!
Old 04-11-2013   #44
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Good deal. I assume he re-signed for minimum, and this doesn't hurt our compensatory picks. Fills a need at backup ILB.
A team re-signing their own free agents doesn't factor into the compensatory equation.
Old 04-11-2013   #45
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Dobbins may be marginal, even inferior, in passing & nickel situations but he's solid against the run. Now with him and Sharpton both in the fold, we can breathe a little bit easier about the situation @ ILB. And it also gives us even more flexibility going into the Draft.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013   #46
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Dobbins may be marginal, even inferior, in passing & nickel situations but he's solid against the run. Now with him and Sharpton both in the fold, we can breathe a little bit easier about the situation @ ILB. And it also gives us even more flexibility going into the Draft.
I hope you're right. With both coming off IR I'd still like to see a young playmaker added.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013   #47
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dobbins, McCain drawing interest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Good deal. I assume he re-signed for minimum, and this doesn't hurt our compensatory picks. Fills a need at backup ILB.
The compensatory pick issue has been addressed (he won't hurt us since he was on the roster at the end of last season). It doesn't look like it's a minimum contract, as the minimum for Dobbins would be $840,000.

Quote:
Tim Dobbins agreed to a one-year contract with the Texans. The deal is worth around $1 million with guarantees of just over $360,000.
LINK
Old 04-11-2013   #48
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 257888 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
I hope you're right. With both coming off IR I'd still like to see a young playmaker added.
This is why I hope to see Brooks Reed at ILB. He's not a pass rusher, he's not going to make a significant amount of plays from the outside. He's JAG on the edges.

I expect more from a 2nd round pick. I think we need to move him to see if he can be that impact player we need on the inside.

At the same time, draft a guy who could be that dynamic end rusher we were missing last year.

Leaving Brooks at OLB doesn't help this team get better. We can draft a young guy to be that dynamic play maker inside, but your entire hope for outside pass rush will rest with Whitney Mercilus.

And even if the guy we draft isn't ready for the position, you can rotate Brooks down in pass rushing situations, where we lose nothing from last year. It would be exactly like what we had last year without an ILB with Brooks, Jj, Antonio, & Whitney on the line.

You just limit your ability to improve on your outside pass rush.
Old 04-11-2013   #49
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 124742 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Could someone just ban the both of them and get it over with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
What a dumbass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
I heard a cruel, vile rumor about him... I heard he is a Liberal!
Dadgum! Tough crowd
Old 04-11-2013   #50
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
This is why I hope to see Brooks Reed at ILB. He's not a pass rusher, he's not going to make a significant amount of plays from the outside. He's JAG on the edges.

I expect more from a 2nd round pick. I think we need to move him to see if he can be that impact player we need on the inside.

At the same time, draft a guy who could be that dynamic end rusher we were missing last year.

Leaving Brooks at OLB doesn't help this team get better. We can draft a young guy to be that dynamic play maker inside, but your entire hope for outside pass rush will rest with Whitney Mercilus.

And even if the guy we draft isn't ready for the position, you can rotate Brooks down in pass rushing situations, where we lose nothing from last year. It would be exactly like what we had last year without an ILB with Brooks, Jj, Antonio, & Whitney on the line.

You just limit your ability to improve on your outside pass rush.
I think Reed is ok as a strong side OLB. ok. Not great...but ok...

Him and Merciless starting next year at the OLB spots worries me....I think Reed would be fine at SOLB if the WOLB is a pass rushing force. I do not believe Merciless is that guy...

But I won't rule guys out. Maybe Merciless can improve his game...Maybe Reed can improve his game...

I don't know...But at this point right now, they scare me. I think we need a better pass rush from the edges.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013   #51
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
A team re-signing their own free agents doesn't factor into the compensatory equation.
Yes, I'm aware of that, that's why I used the word "and" instead of "which".

It's a good deal, he got a lot of experience in our system last year, and he's better than Bradie James and Barrett Ruud. If we can draft a decent ILB to fight for that starting position next to Cush we should be much better off next year. I was actually afraid Dobbins would be picked up by another team, but I guess he didn't get much interest.
Old 04-11-2013   #52
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I like having Dobbins back. I think he does well against the run. He thumps when he hits too. Most importantly, if we can keep our starting ILBs on the field he goes back to special teams where he really has made a difference.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013   #53
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Dobbins is solid standing next to Cushing as a run stuffer on 1st and 2nd downs.

QBs that try to run take notice...

Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013   #54
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 45123 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Stan View Post
Dobbins is solid standing next to Cushing as a run stuffer on 1st and 2nd downs.

QBs that try to run take notice...

Hopefully Dobbin's will be coming off the bench and giving the starter next to Cushing a breather.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013   #55
Goodwrench3
VAI TEXANS!

Rep Power: 7153 Goodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Great news!
Old 04-11-2013   #56
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Call me crazy, but I actually wouldn't mind drafting an ILB in the first 4 rounds and letting Dobbins start this year. I'm all for upgrading, but he doesn't make me uncomfortable when he's out there. His coverage skills leave a lot to be desired, but he closes on the ball well once the throw is made and is a solid tackler.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013   #57
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 257888 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Call me crazy, but I actually wouldn't mind drafting an ILB in the first 4 rounds and letting Dobbins start this year.
If it's not Reed starting, it will be Sharpton.

Hopefully they've seen enough of Brahman to get him on the field.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read