Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-10-2013   #21
ASidd_1990
Veteran

Rep Power: 150 ASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans have officially re-signed T Ryan Harris

Does anyone know the details of the contract? Would be pissed if its anything more the league min.
ASidd_1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013   #22
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Why move Brooks to the left side? He's most likely the starter on the right side.
Remember I said replace Smith in 2014. Brooks is a natural left guard playing all his games at Miami of Ohio there and in 2011 LG or LT as a starter. Despite his girth I liked his feet and now he has reduced weight. In zone blocking he is able to move down the line tying up his guy. He is just incredibly strong and one more year will make him ready for left. I'd rather have him next to Brown also.
Old 04-10-2013   #23
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58316 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Not trying to speak for Tejano but think he was saying Williams brings a lot as does the other guy but at a lower round thereby increasing value. Brennan can be had in third.
Oh yes! That case I agree 100%!
NCTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013   #24
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Remember I said replace Smith in 2014. Brooks is a natural left guard playing all his games at Miami of Ohio there and in 2011 LG or LT as a starter. Despite his girth I liked his feet and now he has reduced weight. In zone blocking he is able to move down the line tying up his guy. He is just incredibly strong and one more year will make him ready for left. I'd rather have him next to Brown also.
How would you define a "natural left guard" ? I'm well aware of the differences in skill requirements and talents needed between LT and RT, but wonder if there's really that much difference in playing LG and RG ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013   #25
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
How would you define a "natural left guard" ? I'm well aware of the differences in skill requirements and talents needed between LT and RT, but wonder if there's really that much difference in playing LG and RG ?
I don't understand it much either. There isn't much scheme difference at all. Just the left-handed right-handed difference would be the only issue in the ZBS.

Brooks even played RG at Miami OH, so I think people just want to shake crap up just to shake crap up
Old 04-11-2013   #26
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, I don't know if i agree with Bad Boys assesment but there are differences between the guard spots besides what side of the center you're on. In pass coverage RG's tend to face the better pass rushing DT's while LG's tend to face the bigger run stopping DT's against the run. That's because the strength of the formation is generally to the right.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013   #27
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

From what I understand, a lot of teams employ the Under front, especially in nickel (ie. passing situations.)

It provides one-on-one matchup on the weak side on the LT and the LG.
In this situation, the LG will face a 3-tech defensive linemen (or the Under Tackle), usually a quicker guy that can penetrate.

The LG also needs to pick up a possible stunt by the Weak side DE (usually the best pass rusher) or a possible blitz by a LB.

Therefore, I would say the LG needs to be a good pass protector.
Experience also plays a factor here.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013   #28
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Wasnt Harris a top draft pick himself? Perhaps he can step his game up too and solidify the right side with Harris.
Old 04-15-2013   #29
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Wasnt Harris a top draft pick himself? Perhaps he can step his game up too and solidify the right side with Harris. I dont really care who it is, but this coming year I would like some continuity, subbing guys in and out should stay in the amateur ranks.
Injuries had left him less than what he could be.
Same as Barrett Rudd.
If these guys had remained healthy, they wouldn't have gotten to us in the first place.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013   #30
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Smart re-sign for both sides. This gives good depth for Texans and Harris could very well compete for the starting RT spot come TC if Newton or a rook doesn't impress. Big bonus if he's completely healthy.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read