Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-08-2013   #1
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Brandon Brooks Shaping Up!

Saw this over ate Texans official web site and didn't see it posted anywhere else: http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...c-a7f25d6071d2 It's definitely a good sign. There should be some good competition at camp this year, especially if they draft another OG. Wade Smith better be ready to fight for his roster spot this season.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brandon Brooks Shaping Up!

Good info. I think he starts RG with Jones backing. With a bit of permance our Oline will be much better and grow stronger this season.
Old 04-08-2013   #3
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
“Once I got my feet wet and really understood what it was to play this game and being blessed to play this game (last season), my confidence started to build and I started to gain some momentum, and I just want to keep it going,” Brooks said. “I feel like I’ve got a lot to prove, so definitely can’t wait to get started.”
Good. Looking forward to seeing it.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013   #4
Fili
All Pro

Rep Power: 3890 Fili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respected

Wonder what his forty time is now. Hopefully he can show some skill on the field...
Old 04-08-2013   #5
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Down to 325 lbs, that's great news, sounds like he's coming into the upcoming season with the right attitude.
So I wonder where does this leave Ben Jones, the teams starting RG beginning 'bout mid year and lasting thru the playoffs last season ? Does Brooks & Jones become the starters at guard and they release Wade Smith, or are the starters Brooks and Smith and Jones is the backup at center & guard ?

Last edited by IDEXAN; 04-08-2013 at 08:35 PM.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013   #6
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

his got great potential this kid. hopefully he blows everyone away in TC and forces Kubiak no choice but to start him at RG.
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013   #7
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

This is the best news of the offseason. I was about to post a thread pointing out how he was the link in the chain that needed to be fixed the most. Some of the problems with Schaub's confidence and with our running game started with lack of consistency and experience at right guard. If he can make the sophomore leap, the offense will be clicking again. And it would be nice to have Brooks in there to power block for Arian in the red zone.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-08-2013   #8
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
This is the best news of the offseason. I was about to post a thread pointing out how he was the link in the chain that needed to be fixed the most. Some of the problems with Schaub's confidence and with our running game started with lack of consistency and experience at right guard. If he can make the sophomore leap, the offense will be clicking again. And it would be nice to have Brooks in there to power block for Arian in the red zone.
Brooks stepping up
Addition of true FB in Jones

Now if the RT can improve to just middle of the league. 2013 should be closer to 2011 OLine then 2012 OLine.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013   #9
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
Brooks stepping up
Addition of true FB in Jones

Now if the RT can improve to just middle of the league. 2013 should be closer to 2011 OLine then 2012 OLine.
This could be a big problem. With Newton having surgery on his knee (I think it was the knee.) that only leaves Harris, Gardner, and Mondek on the roster to possibly be the starting RT while Newton heals. I think Harris was OK last season filling in for Newton, but I don't think he is the long term answer as either the starter or the "swing tackle." Gardner, to me, is probably better as a backup OG, and Mondek will probably end up on the PS again. My guess is, and this depends on the prognosis of Newton, they will draft another OT somewhere between the 3rd and 5th rounds. Maybe sooner if they don't think Newton is the long term answer at RT.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013   #10
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I fully expect Brooks to take over the RG position this year. I thought it started to click for him towards the end of last season. He still had some MA's, but he looked very good when he knew what he was doing.

I like Ben's potential, but imo, he was not ready last year. Maybe it'll be different this season, but I still think Brooks will win the spot. The platooning crap they had going probably didn't help either one of them. I would hope they get away from that BS.
Old 04-09-2013   #11
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
This could be a big problem. With Newton having surgery on his knee (I think it was the knee.) that only leaves Harris, Gardner, and Mondek on the roster to possibly be the starting RT while Newton heals. I think Harris was OK last season filling in for Newton, but I don't think he is the long term answer as either the starter or the "swing tackle." Gardner, to me, is probably better as a backup OG, and Mondek will probably end up on the PS again. My guess is, and this depends on the prognosis of Newton, they will draft another OT somewhere between the 3rd and 5th rounds. Maybe sooner if they don't think Newton is the long term answer at RT.
Granted the learning curve and his injury, Kubiak was pleased with Newton. They feel that he has enough raw ability to be a reliable starter. The only question is his durability. A major surgery after two seasons is not a good sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I fully expect Brooks to take over the RG position this year. I thought it started to click for him towards the end of last season. He still had some MA's, but he looked very good when he knew what he was doing.

I like Ben's potential, but imo, he was not ready last year. Maybe it'll be different this season, but I still think Brooks will win the spot. The platooning crap they had going probably didn't help either one of them. I would hope they get away from that BS.
Agreed with the bold, and his potential is exciting. When he was drafted, the only unknown was his level of commitment to get in shape and to learn. That's looking positive now.

I think Ben will eventually replace Wade Smith, and much later Chris Myers.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013   #12
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

This is good news. I fully expect Brooks to be the starter at RG next season, Jones will be the primary backup at all interior O-line positions, and I expect the Texans to draft an OG in the 3rd - 5th rounds to be a backup and rotate at LG with Wade Smith and then replace him in 2014. With the signing of Ryan Harris, I don't expect an OT to be drafted this year.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

I thought they played very well for rookies. There were things that Jones was better at. He's faster, he's more athletic. He gets to the outside (pulling) faster, he gets to the second level fast, he gets on his man faster. On the second level & out in space he was much better than Brooks.

Brooks is stronger, he's a horse, a mauler. He held his ground much better, & he moved people off the line much better.

We've got three week spots on the OL. LG, RG, & RT.

I think we're better off with moving Brooks to LG, starting Jones at RG, & starting Newton at RT. I think Newton is solid. I don't know if he is special, or has the ability to be special. If it were me, I'd draft a guy to groom for that RT spot & hope Newton plays well enough to keep him off the field. I'd hold onto either Wade Smith, or Caldwell to back up at the guard position. If Caldwell looks good through OTAs & camp, I'm cutting Wade Smith & saving some money.
Old 04-11-2013   #14
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I thought they played very well for rookies. There were things that Jones was better at. He's faster, he's more athletic. He gets to the outside (pulling) faster, he gets to the second level fast, he gets on his man faster. On the second level & out in space he was much better than Brooks.

Brooks is stronger, he's a horse, a mauler. He held his ground much better, & he moved people off the line much better.

We've got three week spots on the OL. LG, RG, & RT.

I think we're better off with moving Brooks to LG, starting Jones at RG, & starting Newton at RT. I think Newton is solid. I don't know if he is special, or has the ability to be special. If it were me, I'd draft a guy to groom for that RT spot & hope Newton plays well enough to keep him off the field. I'd hold onto either Wade Smith, or Caldwell to back up at the guard position. If Caldwell looks good through OTAs & camp, I'm cutting Wade Smith & saving some money.
I don't think you could have it any more backwards, imo. Brooks is very quick for his size and played much quicker than Jones towards the end of the season. Hence, more playing time. The problem with Brooks early on was MA's. Once he knew what he was doing he played much better than Jones.

Caldwell isn't even currently on the team. I don't think Smith's going anywhere this year. He should remain the LG, Brooks at RG and I assume Newton will be the RT. Imo, RT is the only true ? on the OL. I'm not going to pretend I know what's going on with his knee because the organization's so tight lipped. Which is fine
Old 04-11-2013   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think you could have it any more backwards, imo. Brooks is very quick for his size and played much quicker than Jones towards the end of the season. Hence, more playing time. The problem with Brooks early on was MA's. Once he knew what he was doing he played much better than Jones.

Caldwell isn't even currently on the team. I don't think Smith's going anywhere this year. He should remain the LG, Brooks at RG and I assume Newton will be the RT. Imo, RT is the only true ? on the OL. I'm not going to pretend I know what's going on with his knee because the organization's so tight lipped. Which is fine
This.
Old 04-11-2013   #16
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I expect Brooks and Jones to compete with Wade Smith for starting spots.
Don't forget that Brooks had played about a year at LG in college;
Somebody had mentioned that earlier.

I'm not ruling out Smith getting cut to save cap space (possibly the final cut - if Brooks and Jones both show enough improvement.)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013   #17
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 26897 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I expect Brooks and Jones to compete with Wade Smith for starting spots.
Don't forget that Brooks had played about a year at LG in college;
Somebody had mentioned that earlier.

I'm not ruling out Smith getting cut to save cap space (possibly the final cut - if Brooks and Jones both show enough improvement.)
Ben Jones needs to hit the NFL weight program as well. I don't get why these guys don't stay in town and understand what it takes to become a true NFL player, they all go home and try to do it solo.

If you see them in person, Chris Myers/Duane Brown are massive, cut, and huge, not fat. You seen Ben Jones and the others.. they looks a lot like a fat kids playing the NFL.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013   #18
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
Ben Jones needs to hit the NFL weight program as well. I don't get why these guys don't stay in town and understand what it takes to become a true NFL player, they all go home and try to do it solo.

If you see them in person, Chris Myers/Duane Brown are massive, cut, and huge, not fat. You seen Ben Jones and the others.. they looks a lot like a fat kids playing the NFL.
I understand what you're saying, but I don't think guys need to be in the city they play in order to get in elite physical condition. Plenty of players go home and workout, but it definitely takes a high level of discipline in order to do it. Plenty of players do it all the time, and they end up just fine.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013   #19
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post

Boy is Big Country; surely he wants to spend sometimes with his mom on their 500-acre ranch. Hunting and fishing are his game; he's not going miss quail season, I don't think.

There might be a girl friend too, you know.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Boy is Big Country; surely he wants to spend sometimes with his mom on their 500-acre ranch. Hunting and fishing are his game; he's not going miss quail season, I don't think.
Quail season is football season.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read