Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-07-2013   #21
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Beerlover Final Texan 2013 Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Cushing doesn't count?
That's kinda the point, they've already have a first-rounder who's under contract and financed with first-round money under the previous, higher CBA cap. I seriously doubt they will expend a second first round pick on another 3-4 ILB, especially since he won't be on the field in passing or nickel situations. The guy from Stanford you chose with the a third-round pick might very well have the versatility to play along side Cushing in rushing scenarios ?
Lets be smart here as Kubiak says and use our top 2 picks on more important positions like WR and RT, or perhaps even safety.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013   #22
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Lets be smart here as Kubiak says...
No, Kubiak would say "Kids, let's be smart here."
Old 04-07-2013   #23
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's kinda the point, they've already have a first-rounder who's under contract and financed with first-round money under the previous, higher CBA cap. I seriously doubt they will expend a second first round pick on another 3-4 ILB, especially since he won't be on the field in passing or nickel situations. The guy from Stanford you chose with the a third-round pick might very well have the versatility to play along side Cushing in rushing scenarios ?
Lets be smart here as Kubiak says and use our top 2 picks on more important positions like WR and RT, or perhaps even safety.
There wasn't a significant drop off after Cushing went out for the season?

Cushing is coming off that ACL & in a contract year. I would call both questions as important ones & that's not even touching who will or should line up next to him.

Beg differ also with your presumption Ogletree comes out in 3rd down situations far from it. He can cover sideline to sidling, slant, post whatever underneath route you can ask or become a pass rusher in blitz packages.

Yeah, I could see Chase kick inside. This draft would address LB core top to bottom which needs to be addresses in a big way, IMO.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013   #24
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Although I don't know any of these guys, I liked how your mock draft addressed areas of need. I know the philosophy should be to draft the BPA, but we have way too many holes and we need infusion of new talent in those areas.
Old 04-07-2013   #25
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Cushing is coming off that ACL & in a contract year. I would call both questions as important ones & that's not even touching who will or should line up next to him.
I know the Texans always say they want to resign their FA guys, just like they said that this year about Barwin & Quin even though they really didn't make much of an effort to keep either guy. But I believe they really, really want to resign Cushing, subject of course to his recovery which they won't know about until well after this months Draft. I believe that the owner & Kubiak both consider Cushing is an extraordinary player and onfield leader who they want to remain in Houston the rest of his career. I might be wrong, but that's my impression ?
Quote:
Beg differ also with your presumption Ogletree comes out in 3rd down situations far from it. He can cover sideline to sidling, slant, post whatever underneath route you can ask or become a pass rusher in blitz packages.
There's room for only Cushing and only an Ogletree in Wades defense on an every down basis, and until they resolve the uncertainty and situation with Cushing I alluded to, I don't think they'll bring in a second every down ILB, and certainly not at the expense of using a first round pick.
Old 04-07-2013   #26
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I seriously doubt they will expend a second first round pick on another 3-4 ILB, especially since he won't be on the field in passing or nickel situations.
This is quickly becoming a big pet peeve of mine.
Old 04-07-2013   #27
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Love your mock.

Like Corrosions TT Mock Draft better.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013   #28
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I believe that the owner & Kubiak both consider Cushing is an extraordinary player and onfield leader who they want to remain in Houston the rest of his career. I might be wrong, but that's my impression ?

There's room for only Cushing and only an Ogletree in Wades defense on an every down basis, and until they resolve the uncertainty and situation with Cushing I alluded to, I don't think they'll bring in a second every down ILB, and certainly not at the expense of using a first round pick.
I think you're right in that they want to build around Cushing (and Watt, of course). And normally, they wouldn't bring in a ILB with a big contract or a high draft pick value. But, Cushing's injury muddies the water. And a pick at #27 isn't a real big contract to devote to another ILB.

However, there is a whole other set of reasons the Texans won't draft Ogletree. But, I guess Beerlover doesn't want to get into that.
Old 04-07-2013   #29
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102920 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
However, there is a whole other set of reasons the Texans won't draft Ogletree. But, I guess Beerlover doesn't want to get into that.
My immediate thought as soon as I read him gushing over Ogletree. Just not a character the Texans will draft. It's a shame he's got that baggage because athletically every profile i've read on him is awesome. Just dont see it happening...not a mcnair guy.
Old 04-07-2013   #30
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
My immediate thought as soon as I read him gushing over Ogletree. Just not a character the Texans will draft. It's a shame he's got that baggage because athletically every profile i've read on him is awesome. Just dont see it happening...not a mcnair guy.
And really, I don't think Ogletree is a good fit in a 3-4. He runs around blocks and he's not a real physical linebacker. I think Ogletree is a better fit as a 4-3 Will, or maybe a Tampa 2 Mike that is asked to cover the deep middle.
Old 04-07-2013   #31
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102920 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And really, I don't think Ogletree is a good fit in a 3-4. He runs around blocks and he's not a real physical linebacker. I think Ogletree is a better fit as a 4-3 Will, or maybe a Tampa 2 Mike that is asked to cover the deep middle.
Yup. Reminds me of Teo in that regard. You could make it work but he's better suited for a 4-3. You'd have to protect him consistently to really reap the rewards of his talent. A stunting gap attack 3-4 wont do that nearly as well as a parcels double bubble 3-4.
Old 04-07-2013   #32
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Yup. Reminds me of Teo in that regard. You could make it work but he's better suited for a 4-3. You'd have to protect him consistently to really reap the rewards of his talent. A stunting gap attack 3-4 wont do that nearly as well as a parcels double bubble 3-4.
Yeah, Teo is the same. Of the top rated ILB's, I guess Minter is the best fit here. And he's not really a reach at #27, because I think you are getting the same player there as at #58.
Old 04-07-2013   #33
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I hear ya, really do but Alec also has elite edge rushing pass skill, not that disimular to Mercilus so on passing downs be kicks outside OLB. Combinations are limitless, stuff Wade is famous for. I would be sick as heck if Texans passed then be turns into a Von Miller. Far as character issue thought I did address it, Texans have a great locker room to guide any young man coming into the league if he is a genuine good person & hard worker which from interviews & reading background checks he sure appears to be.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 04-07-2013   #34
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Love your mock.

Like Corrosions TT Mock Draft better.
Thanks man.

We shall see how it all turns out very, very soon.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 04-07-2013   #35
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think you're right in that they want to build around Cushing (and Watt, of course). And normally, they wouldn't bring in a ILB with a big contract or a high draft pick value. But, Cushing's injury muddies the water. And a pick at #27 isn't a real big contract to devote to another ILB.

So true, as in the words of one Matt Schaub, Ogletree isn't "Houston Texans worthy", i.e., he's got problems in the "issues department", in his case off of the field of play.
Actually I have a theory that the Texans biggest obstacle to retaining Cushing will be Cushing himself, as I don't think he wants to remain in Houston. I don't think he has anything against the organization and definitely not the fans with whom he's certainly wildly popular.
And no, the 27th pick is not that high and some might say it's virtually a high 2nd round pick, but they just have several other more pressing needs at more critical positions, I will be floored if they use anything above a 3rd round pick on an ILB. But I might get surprised later this month, and that's something else that makes the Draft fun: it can be so unpredictable.
Old 04-07-2013   #36
Lucky

Quote:
Far as character issue thought I did address it, Texans have a great locker room to guide any young man coming into the league if he is a genuine good person & hard worker which from interviews & reading background checks he sure appears to be.
Here's what Bob McNair had to say about this last November (and they've been pretty consistent).

Quote:
"There are three things that are unacceptable to us," owner Bob McNair said. "Someone who abuses women; we don't put up with that. People who do that are just a bully. Bullies are usually not courageous when they're facing someone as strong as they are.

"The second thing is if there's been substance abuse. That can become a habit, and they might bring that habit with them. I'm not talking about someone who smoked marijuana. I'm talking about a persistent user of drugs. We take them off the list.

"The third thing is someone who rebels against authority. We have a very strong chain of command. Our coaches don't want to have a debate with a player every time they tell him to do something."

We're not talking about one incident. It's three over the past 2-1/2 years, including right before the NFL combine. The biggest interview of his life. That speaks of the lack of discipline the Texans try to steer clear of.

Quote:
But Smith said no level of talent erases character considerations.

I don't think they could be more clear.
Old 04-07-2013   #37
powda
Hall of Fame

I'm still looking for the bull in a china shop nose tackle. The right one could do a lot to free up Watt and help mask any run defense deficiencies from our inside line backers. That or ofcourse the wideout spot in the first 2 rounds.

If we select something else like a TE in the first i'm probably going to be pissed.
Old 04-07-2013   #38
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not really a fan of this mock tbh.

I like some of the picks, but I'm not a fan of ogletree at all. Dude plays with his hands down by his side. He's bad at taking on blocks and I just don't think he's a fit for this defense and I really don't care what defense it is, I'm not a fan of his. I don't like how he plays as a linebacker.

That pick right there kind if ruins the mock for me even though I like some of the other players.

Jmo.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013   #39
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I'm not really a fan of this mock tbh.

I like some of the picks, but I'm not a fan of ogletree at all. Dude plays with his hands down by his side. He's bad at taking on blocks and I just don't think he's a fit for this defense and I really don't care what defense it is, I'm not a fan of his. I don't like how he plays as a linebacker.

That pick right there kind if ruins the mock for me even though I like some of the other players.

Jmo.
Understand your concerns. Alec is just really blessed athletically. If he was clean both on & off probably a top 10 pick. I'm placing my faith in this organization to coach him up, turn his life around & excell in a positive environment. Like you said, polish his fundamentals, mentored by Cushing/Watt/Reed/Mercilus etc. I don't mind even if he has to prove his ability on special teams & earn his reps, hard Knox style. In the end he adds another dimension to Texans.

We covet that nose too. 2004 my pick was Wilfork one week before the draft. Jenkins is the closest prospect in this years class physically & athletically. His rapid weight loss is a concern as is his motor but talent is there. Kinda boneheaded exit out of school which also raises red flag. Will have to really sell himself interview process much like Ogletree.

Thanks big Rey for your response!

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 04-07-2013   #40
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not draftniks as you know. But I keep thinking about Margus Hunt in the first rd. He is strong enough to be DE and fast enough to be OLB. He is fast like Mario and he is longer than Mario. He may able to play DE or OLB position. Perhaps, let him play at OLB position for a few years and eventually replace Smith at DE in the future. Or, whichever the position needs help. Like I said, I don't know anything about evaluating prospect but just a thought.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read