Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-06-2013   #1
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 49476 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Beerlover Final Texan 2013 Mock

First Round: Alec Ogletree, ILB, Georgia 6024 242

Plays off instincts, elite closing speed/range for position. Relieves some pressure off Cushing returning off season ending injury while also providing player with potential to groom. Position with little depth on roster, so this fills a huge hole. Shows positive trendline throughout career as Bulldog finishing with 111 tackles 11.5 of which where for loss, 3 sacks, 5 QB hurries & 5 passes defended. Three down LB who can cover TE's & RB's must learn gap responsibilities.

Second Round: Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor 6020 208

Frame, Core strength & speed to stretch field. Gives Schaub a viable weapon to target, willing blocker & was highly productive with & without Robert Griffin III. True senior, 97 receptions 1832 yards & 12 TD's in 2012. In 2011 he was just not targeted by Robert because Kendall Wright was his #1 option still his yards per catch were higher than Kendall (16.22 vs 15.44) while still snagging 59 receptions for 957 yards & 11 TD's.

Third Round: Chase Thomas, OLB, Stanford, 6032 244

Smart well coached player who fits best standing up, rushing passer or sealing edge & tracking the ball carrier down. Same short shuttle time 4.31 as another player considered Sio Moore. 7.5 sacks, 15.5 tackles for loss, 71 tackle total for 2012. He should be able to back-up either Reed or Mercilus as they back-fill to replace Connor Barwin.

Third Round: (compensatory Mario Williams) Jordan Mills, OT, Louisiana Tech, 6050 316

Athletic swing tackle possessing excellent feet. Developmental talent but enough upside to start within a couple years, would see rotational duty while providing insurance behind Newton (recovering from injury) with ability to back-up Brown. Butler/Harris remain a free agents w/Gardner as only back-up. Plays with good base & mirror in pass pro. Versatile, has played both left & right tackle positions, could even work into LG.

Fourth Round: Lavar Edwards, DE/DT, LSU, 6036 277

Excellent run defender. 5 tech DE who may evolve into a Jay Ratliff type of pentrating nose (similar rangy frame). Has excellent frame to work with, extremly long arms 35 1/2" overshadowed behind Mingo, Montogomery & Logan. 1.7 10 yard split showcasing first step explosiveness, good straight line speed 4.7 forty pro-day http://videos.nola.com/times-picayun...s_thrille.html Insurance to protect Watt/Smith along with Crick plus uncertainty surrounding Jamison coming off season ending injury.

Fifth Round: Kayvon Webster, CB/SS, South Florida, 5-10 1/2" 195

Physical run defender with some ball skills & surprising deep speed to cover bigger/faster receivers. Will press & engage line of scrimmage, ability to flip hips, redirect & shawdow both underneath & over the top. Similar talent to recently departed Glover Quin, less strength but makes up for it with better speed/range. Could be used a lot in nickle/dime packages, special teams & as developmental safety prospect to Ed Reed & Daniel Manning.

Sixth Round: Corey Fuller, WR, Virginia Tech, 6-2 197

Second receiver selected, to cover bases, who can move well in space & pretty developed in blocking scheme to help replace Walter. Willing to play similar role not a big production guy but can hurt you or beat teams deep. Has good speed, former Kansas track athlete and Nike indoor track All-American who transferred to Virginia Tech after his sophomore year. Caught 43 passes for 815 yards and six touchdowns last season, impressed me mostly from East-West Shrine all-star game as later round guy worth taking shot on.

[b]Sixth Round: (compensatory) Keith Pough, ILB, Howard, 6016 241

Core special teams player while improving depth @ position. Excellent work ethic & character traits, leader on the field. Willing teammate with high motor passion for the game. With this group Texans fans will never have to endure weakness up the middle like experienced last season after Cushing went down. Will also really help special teams another area of concern on kick coverage. Will be a difficult cut & probably make the 53 man roster. MEAC Defensive Player of the year, & all time FCS leader in tackles. Another gem exposed during East West Shrine practices & game.

Seventh Round: Chris Jones, NT, Bowling Green, 6-1 7/8" 301

Ran his forty a respectable 5.10 pro day with 31" vert. First-Team All Mac and earning MAC Defensive Player of the Year in 2012 with 42 tackles, 12.5 sacks, and 19 tackles for loss. He fits Texans current scheme for position & solidifies some quality depth behind Mitchell. Stout, high-effort interior lineman who also flashes good short area quickness. Brings power out of his stance and an explosive punch into a blocker’s chest when man-up. Constantly has a leverage advantage with his low center of gravity, and possesses the quickness and hustle to move his feet to win a gap or bull his man towards the quarterback on pass plays. Spins off blocks or uses an arm-over move to reach the quarterback. Gives effort to the sideline when the ball is on his half of the field. Works at the five-technique at times, crashes inside adeptly and plays his containment responsibilities well.

BL

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Beerlover Final Texan 2013 Mock

Great first three and you know I am a TWill fan, hope he hangs around to 57.
Old 04-06-2013   #3
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2029 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Hey beerlover, I'm no draft guy so I thought I'd ask you:

What do you think about Brandon Kaufman, WR, in the late rounds?

Oh, and I love your mock. I absolutely love TW in the second round.
Old 04-06-2013   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 49476 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyE View Post
Hey beerlover, I'm no draft guy so I thought I'd ask you:

What do you think about Brandon Kaufman, WR, in the late rounds?

Oh, and I love your mock. I absolutely love TW in the second round.
Doesn't he play for Eastern Washington, 6-5 210-220? Haven't seen film on him, great measurable & good late round shot if he has some speed. That's why I went with Corey, plus he has experience in scheme & understands blocking assignments. Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated!

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 04-06-2013   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Great first three and you know I am a TWill fan, hope he hangs around to 57.
Thanks BB. Making the tough decision & addressing ILB with elite talent early in the process helps rest flow more effortlessly.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 04-06-2013   #6
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Doesn't he play for Eastern Washington, 6-5 210-220? Haven't seen film on him, great measurable & good late round shot if he has some speed. That's why I went with Corey, plus he has experience in scheme & understands blocking assignments. Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated!
Film is incredible. Guy makes circus catches regularly. Would make a great red zone threat. Just don't know about his ability to separate at the NFL level. Don't remember his 40 time but it was very disappointing.
Old 04-06-2013   #7
cj5776
Veteran

Rep Power: 70 cj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respected

My gut tells me they are taking a TE, anyone on your radar?
Old 04-06-2013   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj5776 View Post
My gut tells me they are taking a TE, anyone on your radar?
Next year. This year they seem set with Owen Daniels, Garrett Graham & Phillip Supernaw. Recently just inked the 6-5 250 LB Supernaw could be a real surprise (least I hope).

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 04-06-2013   #9
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 20076 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the #1 & #2 picks. I just don't expect Ogletree and Williams to be there for us.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
I like the #1 & #2 picks. I just don't expect Ogletree and Williams to be there for us.
You may be right. I've grappled with dynamics of our situation since well before inevitable end last season. Texans need infusion of speed, both sides, more athletic playmakers & in process do it with younger, cheaper options.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 04-06-2013   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Next year. This year they seem set with Owen Daniels, Garrett Graham & Phillip Supernaw. Recently just inked the 6-5 250 LB Supernaw could be a real surprise (least I hope).
Agree, may take a late round blocking TE with soft hands but no move to replace OD this draft. Lets hope Supernaw is good.
Old 04-06-2013   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
I agree TWill will be gone in second but Ogie ranked #38 so could be there.
Old 04-06-2013   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
I agree TWill will be gone in second but Ogie ranked #38 so could be there.
Terrance is on the board until 3rd rd & 17th selection in our own TT GM mock draft, not that is hard science or fact but one would think its not that out of question. IMO

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 04-07-2013   #14
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21460 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

First Round: Alec Ogletree, ILB, Georgia 6024 242

I doubt he drops to us, but if he does you have to take him.

Second Round: Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor 6020 208

I was high on him for a while, but have cooled off lately due to a lack of toughness to fight for the extra yard & a concern that he could become a distraction when he doesn't get the ball enough. However, that could be a part of his competitive fire. I also don't think he'll fall all the way to our late 2nd round pick. But if he does, you have to take a serious look at him.

Third Round: Chase Thomas, OLB, Stanford, 6032 244

Nice pick here, but I believe he will also be gone before our late 3rd round pick.

Third Round: (compensatory Mario Williams) Jordan Mills, OT, Louisiana Tech, 6050 316

I've had Mills on my board from the beginning, but lately I've been seeing him projected to be taken in the late 2nd or early 3rd. If he's there, we've found our starting RT for many years to come.

Fourth Round: Lavar Edwards, DE/DT, LSU, 6036 277

I'm not familiar with this guy, but he sounds intriguing.

Fifth Round: Kayvon Webster, CB/SS, South Florida, 5-10 1/2" 195

Interesting prospect, but I've been leaning towards Robert Lester in the 4th. His numbers have fallen off, but he's still a ballhawk & has 3 years of training under Saban.

Sixth Round: Corey Fuller, WR, Virginia Tech, 6-2 197

Picking up another WR is a good idea, but I'd rather make a run at the other Virginia Tech WR (Marcus Davis). He's not as fast & doesn't always play up to his potential, but he's bigger & there's just something about him that makes me think he's going to be a really good WR one day. He kind of makes me think of Marques Colston.

Sixth Round: (compensatory) Keith Pough, ILB, Howard, 6016 241

Nice pick.

Seventh Round: Chris Jones, NT, Bowling Green, 6-1 7/8" 301

I'm not familiar with this young man.

Nice draft if the cards fall right for us. However, I think Rick's going to need the world's largest rabbit's foot for the first 4 picks to fall to us. If there's a run on QB's in the first, who knows, Ogletree could be there for us. Appreciate your work.

The Texan Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013   #15
greekdbag
Veteran

Rep Power: 1796 greekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respected

I would take this draft in a heartbeat. Good stuff.
greekdbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013   #16
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is a deceptively good year for TE. I hope we take one.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013   #17
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

No way the Texans go ILB with their first rounder, they won't pick a player for that position any higher than the third round. And I'm confidant they are much more likely do take a safety in the first 2 rounds than an ILB.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
No way the Texans go ILB with their first rounder, they won't pick a player for that position any higher than the third round.
Cushing doesn't count?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 04-07-2013   #19
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
This is a deceptively good year for TE. I hope we take one.
I was about to until they signed Supernaw. Just IMO they target one next year like C.J. Fiedorowicz, Iowa.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 04-07-2013   #20
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Beerlover, is this the mock you would draft as Texan GM, or do you believe the Texans would execute this draft?

Quote:
Agree, may take a late round blocking TE with soft hands but no move to replace OD this draft. Lets hope Supernaw is good.
Supernaw would be the blocking TE. He's an 2012 UDFA practice squader who is not a lock to make the team. I think they will take a move TE to replace Casey, at some point in the draft.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read