Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-05-2013   #61
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Let's discuss Texans ILB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
There is some good logic here, but the actual problem is that the NFL is not a trading league. There is not a consistent flow of willing buyers for a team's pretty good players.

Edit: Here are the off-season trades do far

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/transactions/trades
The Broncos traded Cutler and get Orton, two first rounders and a third.
Brandon Marshall and Vontae Davis weren't too bad trade scenarios (if Cushing plays well, he should garner better.)
The Harvin and Alex Smith trades don't look too bad either.

Cushing, at or near his top form, should give pretty good value.

If he doesn't play well then his contract demand shouldn't be too high (I hope.)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013   #62
Jules Winnfield
BMF

Rep Power: 1227 Jules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respected

if teo falls as far as the 3rd or 4th round i wish the texans would take a gamble on him.
Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013   #63
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
People may think I'm crazy, but I think it's best to trade away players that are not the number one guy on either of your offensive or defensive unit, unless he has no red flag or just too good to let go.

The talents that come out of college are plenty.
Guys are bigger, faster, stronger, quicker, can jump higher, etc.
Use the acquired pick(s) to either stock up talent or combine them to trade up for a better choice.
Use the extra money for a short-term one-to-two year vet FA.

Rinse and repeat.
(Since the more talents coming out of college, the more FAs will be available in the off-season.)

Spend a lot of resources on scouting and player development.
Some of the college players have great athleticism but lack reps due to one reason or another.
A big guy may have a poor eating habit; or he could have "skinny legs" (poor base) without a proper conditioning program to enhance that base.
(Jonathan Jenkins, for example, is top-heavy, and can get pushed around or cut down more often than he should be.)
Most of the college coaches get pressure from the school alumni to perform NOW (not unlike companies in the stock market), they think more about "what work now" and often don't have time to develop a certain weakness area of players.

Obviously, I'm only skimming the surface of the topic.
This is my philosophy also but would go one step further in having either your younger back up (in his rookie contract) be able to replace the starter or be in a position each year to use your top two draft picks to replace starter. The thing is Texans despite the reason are just now getting to that point. One more good draft and we should be there. Ben Jones to replace Myers and Brooks to replace Smith and on defense Crick perhaps to replace A. Smith are examples. Hopefully, a WR will replace Walter and another 2013 draft pick replace Cody.
Old 04-05-2013   #64
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
if teo falls as far as the 3rd or 4th round i wish the texans would take a gamble on him.
It's funny. During the season, there was no way he could drop past 15-20. I still don't think he makes it past the 2nd round and there's still a good possibility he's a first-rounder.

If he makes it to US in the 3rd round at pick 89? That would be crazy.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013   #65
Lucky

Rep Power: 153310 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
If he makes it to US in the 3rd round at pick 89? That would be crazy.
There are red flags we know nothing of if that is the case.
Old 04-05-2013   #66
bobbeaux
Rookie

Rep Power: 595 bobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I'm pretty much with you on that. One problem could be that Braman is strictly a speed rusher, and doesn't have the strength to disengage from a good pass blocker. I know that the Texans have had difficulty beefing him up. Possibly due to his bad chompers (which I believe have been fixed). If Braman can get stronger this offseason, I think the Texans may have a secret pass rushing weapon in 2013.

ILB? I'm wondering what the Texans think about K-State's Arthur Brown. I've seen him in a lot of mocks going late 1st round. LSU's Minter also improved on his 40 time at his pro day, so he is probably back in the late 1st round picture. That the Texans haven't looked at ILB yet makes me think they will look for a solution in the draft.
i'd like to see braman get more reps and contribute in the rotation . . . i was wondering about brown myself, but being he's a bit undersized, i'm not sure he really fits the texans . . . i like minter . . . olgetree is another, but his off-field issues will probably prevent the texans from taking him . . . unless he drops . . . . . . i wouldn't be upset with alonso, bostic, johnson or riddick who should be available in the 3rd or later freeing up the first for nt/s and wr in the 2nd . . .
bobbeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013   #67
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
Unless Teo kidnaps a little kid and robs a couple of banks between now and the draft there is no way he falls that far.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read