Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-03-2013   #1
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Football Outsiders: State of the Texans

Didnt see this posted anywhere yet. Nothing new to us, but still a good little breakdown of our current depth chart:

Quote:
State of the Team: Houston Texans
by Andy Benoit
The 2013 "State of the Team" articles will run daily through the NFL draft. These offer a snapshot look at a team’s roster, with players classified by color based on how they fit their role. My analysis is based on film study, not statistics, although we will try to note when my judgment differs significantly from FO's advanced stats, and explain a little bit why. Starters are in bold, and you will notice that there are 12 defensive starters rather than just 11. This denotes the extra playing time that nickelbacks and third receivers usually get in today's NFL. (However, since the Texans change offensive personnel less than almost any other team, we've listed them with only 11 starters.)
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/sta...houston-texans
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013   #2
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Football Outsiders: State of the Texans

Hmmm ... from the article:

Quote:
Texans fans don’t appreciate Reed enough. He’s not a great cover guy or pure speed-rusher, but he’s very good at the point of attack against the run. He also has a strong understanding of the little things that help his teammates, such as taking on blocks to set up stunts, twists and blitzes, or setting the edge play side. Phillips’ system is heavily reliant on those little things. A lot of Reed’s dirty work benefits Cushing, who’s often the focal point of Phillips’ interior blitz designs. If he bounces back from last October’s ACL injury, the Texans will once again be dangerous in their dime package.
Old 04-03-2013   #3
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Color-coded for those simple-minded fans like me.

Repped.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013   #4
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

I must just be a Schaub lover because I still dont get the lack of arm or lack of velocity. Schaub would benefit grealty from better footwork but his arm is fine. Im not sure if you dont rate Schaub as "good" where the rest of the league would fall
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013   #5
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 284477 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

We already know who our best players are, but it's always nice to see them get some recognition from the outside world anyway. We know we have a great team, a playoff team in anyone's book. It's just how deep into the playoffs we go that's still a mystery.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
I must just be a Schaub lover because I still dont get the lack of arm or lack of velocity. Schaub would benefit grealty from better footwork but his arm is fine. Im not sure if you dont rate Schaub as "good" where the rest of the league would fall
He underthrows a lot of balls. He has said that he does it on purpose to make it easier for the receivers to catch & that may be true for all I know.

But to someone who is just watching the game, it doesn't make any sense to have a WR behind the defense, then purposely underthrow a ball allowing the defense to catch up.

Just watching, & not having read a Schaub quote stating he underthrows on purpose, my first guess would be that he couldn't throw it any deeper.

Having said that, there have been a few that looked as deep & straight as any ball thrown in the NFL.... they're just too far & between to make you think he can do it consistently.
Old 04-03-2013   #7
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
He underthrows a lot of balls. He has said that he does it on purpose to make it easier for the receivers to catch & that may be true for all I know.

But to someone who is just watching the game, it doesn't make any sense to have a WR behind the defense, then purposely underthrow a ball allowing the defense to catch up.

Just watching, & not having read a Schaub quote stating he underthrows on purpose, my first guess would be that he couldn't throw it any deeper.

Having said that, there have been a few that looked as deep & straight as any ball thrown in the NFL.... they're just too far & between to make you think he can do it consistently.
I don't have too much of an issue with his deep ball, tbh.

My issue with his arm strength is in the red zone. The windows get smaller and tighter and you have to zip the balls in there. Schaub makes great reads and identifies the right guy to get it to but he can't put enough mustard on the ball to squeeze it in between defenders in those tight spaces. TJ Yates has thrown better balls in the red zone than anything I've seen from Schaub.

This is part of the reason we had such an abysmal red zone percentage prior to having a RB who could punch it in. That's just not where Schaub really shines.

You know, I've said all this and then I went and actually looked at last year's stats. His QB rating was highest in the Red Zone at 96. He had 15 TDs and 1 INT. I don't recall him ever being that good there. I went back through his history and... he's mostly been OK stat-wise in the Red Zone. He just had a down year in 2011 with a <80 rating but since he's been a Texan, he's mostly been good in the red zone with a >100 rating.

That's so totally not how I perceived it.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-03-2013   #8
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

My issue with his arm strength is in the red zone. The windows get smaller and tighter and you have to zip the balls in there. Schaub makes great reads and identifies the right guy to get it to but he can't put enough mustard on the ball to squeeze it in between defenders in those tight spaces. TJ Yates has thrown better balls in the red zone than anything I've seen from Schaub.

This is part of the reason we had such an abysmal red zone percentage prior to having a RB who could punch it in. That's just not where Schaub really shines.

You know, I've said all this and then I went and actually looked at last year's stats. His QB rating was highest in the Red Zone at 96. He had 15 TDs and 1 INT. I don't recall him ever being that good there. I went back through his history and... he's mostly been OK stat-wise in the Red Zone. He just had a down year in 2011 with a <80 rating but since he's been a Texan, he's mostly been good in the red zone with a >100 rating.

Lol, and despite that drop by Casey, too!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013   #9
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216190 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

]

The QB rating in the RZ stat can be somewhat skewed when looking at the total number of RZ TDs in comparison with the top QBs. How many times have we seen what we felt was a perfect passing situation for a RZ TD.............and the ball was handed off because of Schaub and/or Kubiak not feeling confident with Schaub's ability to complete the TD?............drove me nuts...........didn't jeopardize his QB rating though.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013   #10
sandman
All Pro

Rep Power: 67652 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
]

The QB rating in the RZ stat can be somewhat skewed when looking at the total number of RZ TDs in comparison with the top QBs. How many times have we seen what we felt was a perfect passing situation for a RZ TD.............and the ball was handed off because of Schaub and/or Kubiak not feeling confident with Schaub's ability to complete the TD?............drove me nuts...........didn't jeopardize his QB rating though.
Arian Foster led the league in regular season Red Zone rushing TD's.

Play to your strengths. Sometimes it has nothing to do with Schaub no matter how hard we want it to be...
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013   #11
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post

Play to your strengths. Sometimes it has nothing to do with Schaub no matter how hard we want it to be...
Also, we have roughly 35% more goal and go situations than the average of the rest of the league; certainly it adds to persuade the decision.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013   #12
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Hmmm ... from the article:
The Kevin Walter of the defense ....

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013   #13
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
The Kevin Walter of the defense ....
Are you suggesting that Reed and Walter are/were the Rodney Dangerfields of the Texans?
Old 04-04-2013   #14
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If he can make the throws sometimes its not arm strength. I dont have the arm strength to throw a ball 60 yards ever. His footwork is what plays into the inconsistant nature of the deep ball not the strength of his arm
Old 04-04-2013   #15
thunderkyss 
&amp; so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post

The Patriots led the league in rushing TDs, I wonder what the perception of Tom Brady is in the Red Zone.
Old 04-04-2013   #16
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Patriots led the league in rushing TDs, I wonder what the perception of Tom Brady is in the Red Zone.
That he ran a few of those in and Matt Schaub never does.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013   #17
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

We hand the ball to Foster in the Red Zone because the D's are all geared toward pass coverage as a result of being scared silly by Schaub's lazer-rocket arm strength.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013   #18
Jules Winnfield
BMF

Rep Power: 1227 Jules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
not only does he have a weak arm but he also has huge accuracy problems. but schaub's biggest problem is his decision making which is very very suspect yet he's in a system where its very qb friendly, has a great pro bowl laden offensive line, a great reciever, very good tight end, great running back(s) yet he plays like everything is crumbling around him.

people who like to bring up his 4,000 yard capabilities as a reason why he's actually very good or good dont understand that 4,000 yards is the new 3,000.

its like a running back bragging about gaining 1,000 yards. almost everybody gets 4,000 yards passing and 1,000 yards running.
Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013   #19
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
not only does he have a weak arm but he also has huge accuracy problems. but schaub's biggest problem is his decision making which is very very suspect yet he's in a system where its very qb friendly, has a great pro bowl laden offensive line, a great reciever, very good tight end, great running back(s) yet he plays like everything is crumbling around him.

people who like to bring up his 4,000 yard capabilities as a reason why he's actually very good or good dont understand that 4,000 yards is the new 3,000.

its like a running back bragging about gaining 1,000 yards. almost everybody gets 4,000 yards passing and 1,000 yards running.

It looks like 11 players had 4k yards last season. those not on the list Eli, Cam, Flacco, Dalton , Rivers, Weeden, Griffin etc

2011 it was 10 matt missed out but was on pace for 3966
2010 it was 5 matt was #4
2009 it was 10 with matt #1
2008 it was 6
2007 it was 7
2006 it was 5

almost everyone doesnt fit here
Old 04-05-2013   #20
thunderkyss 
&amp; so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post

There was a time where consistently throwing 3000 yards a season meant you had a starter. There were several guys who could start 16 games, but not crack 3000 yards. There were other guys who would get pulled & never have the opportunity to throw for 3000 yards, because they were so bad.

Matt's been throwing for 4,000 since he's been a starter, barring injury, which I believe is still a major concern.

So, in this case, throwing for 4,000 yards says exactly that about Matt Schaub, he's a quality starter. Does that mean he can win a Super Bowl? Hell no, but don't act like garbage QBs are throwing for 4,000 yards.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read