Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 04-02-2013   #21
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Colt McCoy traded to 49ers

This is a GREAT move for Colt. #2 on a super bowl team with a head coach who knows how to coach QBs. Harbaugh would have not sent 2 picks for the guy had he not thought highly of Colt.

And anyone expecting much more from Colt than as quality backup in the nfl, simply had too high of expectations for him in the first place.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013   #22
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74774 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

According to this Pac 12 blogger Texas has the fourth most players in the NFL:

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_...ng-nfl-players
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013   #23
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B. View Post
According to this Pac 12 blogger Texas has the fourth most players in the NFL:

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_...ng-nfl-players
Sounds about right, I don't know how anyone could look at their players in the NFL and say the school's players haven't been successful there. Maybe it's because they are mostly defensive players who don't get as much of the spotlight as the offensive darlings the media prefer.

In any case, blaming a college coach for NFL players perceived lack of success is completely stupid. Mack Brown isn't paid to win games in the NFL, he's paid to win college games. Whatever style happens to do that best, they will employ, regardless of whether or not it prepares them for the NFL. If the kids have talent, a good work ethic and determination, they will likely be successful at the next level.
Old 04-02-2013   #24
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Sounds about right, I don't know how anyone could look at their players in the NFL and say the school's players haven't been successful there. Maybe it's because they are mostly defensive players who don't get as much of the spotlight as the offensive darlings the media prefer.
I am not going to jump too far into this discussion but I will observe I have heard talking heads on multiple occasions talk about Texas players not living up to expectations. Doesn't mean not starter quality just not what was expected. I mean look at Michael Huff who just signed a journeyman contract, never has made the pro bowl and was drafted 7th. Derrick Johnson was considered underwhelming until they flipped him inside. Obviously VY. Cedric Benson was been solid but has not met expectations. So it has been discussed.
Old 04-02-2013   #25
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I despise the Texas University!!!

BUT!!

That said, my brother-in-law is a member of UT's ring (or hall) of honor (baseball) and the multitude of Texas sports legends that that school has produced. So basically for me it's the proverbial "love - hate" thang!

There are certain Texas alums that I pull for and Colt McCoy was one of them. I'm sure he'll land on his feet and I wish him the best.
Old 04-02-2013   #26
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 135487 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
And, yet another unprepared UT player continues to stumble around the league...

He'll be back in Austin in 3 years, as a coach or something.
I wouldn't say that. McCoy was never thought of as that high of a prospect anywhere near how VY was. He was like a 3rd rounder or something like that, and I never thought of Colt as a great prospect, but more of a maybe kind of guy if he went to the right situation and over achieved. I thought he did over achieve in Cleveland his first year there on a horrible team. Then he didn't look so good the next season on that same horrible team with no weapons to work with and he never got a shot again. That team inherited a new coach as well during that tenure, so McCoy had everything possible against him.

I think he that SF is a great situation for him to go into where he could possibly emulate a similar style of Kapernick if he ever has to play. Colt McCoy never really got a full shot in his time in Cleveland to know to really know how well he possibly could have been. If Kapernick ever goes down for a good amount of time, we'll find out for sure. Coming into this league I always looked at COlt as mainly back up material though, but he surprised me a lot when I watched him as a rookie on the Browns.
Texecutioner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013   #27
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 135487 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I am not going to jump too far into this discussion but I will observe I have heard talking heads on multiple occasions talk about Texas players not living up to expectations. Doesn't mean not starter quality just not what was expected. I mean look at Michael Huff who just signed a journeyman contract, never has made the pro bowl and was drafted 7th. Derrick Johnson was considered underwhelming until they flipped him inside. Obviously VY. Cedric Benson was been solid but has not met expectations. So it has been discussed.
People who would say that are definitely people who aren't exactly informed well enough on their rosters from year to year to say that. Sure, Texas has had several bust players and disappointing prospects, but that is mainly due to having such a high number of high draft picks and graduates enter the NFL. We could say that about every top program practically. Texas has had a ton of productive players around the league that have held many starter roles for a while.

Aaron Ross, Michael Griffin, Quentin Jammer, Shaun Rogers, Cedrick Griffin, Jamal Charles, Priest Holmes, Ricky Williams, Tarell Brown, Earl Thomas, Ced Benson, Orakpo, Henry Melton, and etc.

Of course I could list several busts and disappointments as well. But along with a lot of others that I left off is a pretty impressive list of productive NFL players for stints at a time or long careers. Just putting it into a better perspective for folks who may forget just how many players that UT puts into the NFL.
Texecutioner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013   #28
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Well if you want to go through every college team and figure out bust rates, you're welcome to do so. I don't really care to because I think they aren't that different from other schools. Feel free to present evidence to the contrary though, you'd be doing a lot more than the guy who started this discussion.
Old 04-03-2013   #29
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Well if you want to go through every college team and figure out bust rates, you're welcome to do so. I don't really care to because I think they aren't that different from other schools. Feel free to present evidence to the contrary though, you'd be doing a lot more than the guy who started this discussion.
I am not near that invested in this dispute. Just providing my no vested interest observation of the comments made by national commentators. Y'all carry on now. I really don't care.
Old 04-03-2013   #30
Txn_in_FL
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 33753 Txn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respected

Gud job Cote.

Yor frend,
Vince
Old 04-03-2013   #31
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 89864 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1) My reference to Drew had to do with the fact that I assumed that Colt struggled in the NFL because he was too short. Then, someone pointed out to me that he's not too short; he's taller than Drew. As you said, Colt is Colt he has a different skill set than Drew, regardless of height.

2) UT fans have been holding on to the 2005 National Championship. That's why they refuse to see that they need a new head coach. The thinking is, "Mack got us that great championship!" I've actually heard people say that more than once. It's document that NFL teams are starting to hesitate when drafting players from UT (unless it's a high-profile job like QB). The school needs a new head coach BAD, but, alumni won't see it. All they can think about is 2005.

3) Texas COULD get the "cream of the crop." And often does. The school has a national "brand" (for whatever it's worth) and can attract anyone. The problem is,
Quote:
once they recruit the top high school students, they don't really train them for life as a professional athlete (if that's what that student wants as a career)

Careers? Want fries with that?

Texas doesn't graduate a majority of them either.

http://www.kshb.com/dpp/sports/colle...ted-for-big-12

Use em' up, move em' out.

Old 04-03-2013   #32
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
This is a GREAT move for Colt. #2 on a super bowl team with a head coach who knows how to coach QBs. Harbaugh would have not sent 2 picks for the guy had he not thought highly of Colt.
McCoy has experience in the zone read offense the Niners like to run with Kaepernick. So, he has a chance there. And I think Harbaugh is one of the premier QB developers in the league. Still, I think the Niners will bring in another QB in the draft to compete. Scott from Arizona is a possibility.
Old 04-03-2013   #33
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
McCoy has experience in the zone read offense the Niners like to run with Kaepernick. So, he has a chance there. And I think Harbaugh is one of the premier QB developers in the league. Still, I think the Niners will bring in another QB in the draft to compete. Scott from Arizona is a possibility.
Most likely. Mainly due to Colt only having 1 yr left on his deal imo.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013   #34
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 718 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

Quote:
2) UT fans have been holding on to the 2005 National Championship. That's why they refuse to see that they need a new head coach. The thinking is, "Mack got us that great championship!" I've actually heard people say that more than once. It's document that NFL teams are starting to hesitate when drafting players from UT (unless it's a high-profile job like QB). The school needs a new head coach BAD, but, alumni won't see it. All they can think about is 2005.
Who in the heck have you been talking to that think Mack Brown is still a great coach?

The only people who are holding onto the 2005 championship are the ones that are in charge, Deloss Dodds and rich donors.
Old 04-04-2013   #35
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

my opinion of Colt hasn't changed. I think he makes a good back up. If the starter goes down you have a smart, short term plug...anything more than that, and you are looking for a qb. It's like having Gary Kubiak as your backup. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013   #36
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 122673 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I've heard that Harghbaugh really likes Scott Tolzien. But since the 49ers are a SB contender he wanted a QB (Colt) that has some experience in case Kaepernick goes down.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013   #37
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 139289 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSlaton20 View Post
Who in the heck have you been talking to that think Mack Brown is still a great coach?

The only people who are holding onto the 2005 championship are the ones that are in charge, Deloss Dodds and rich donors.
Nope, even my Longhorn family members think Mack Brown is a terrible coach. Great recruiter, though. Johnny Manziel would have been a great DB
Only poking fun :P I love y'all Longhorns, hope we can play again sometime soon.
htownfan32 is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read