Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-02-2013   #1
pec0sb0b
on the lam

Rep Power: 2716 pec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Are the Texans targeting Justin Hunter?

Found a mock-draft on WalterFootball, where they selected Tennessee WR Justin Hunter.
http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2013_1.php

Most mock-drafts I have seen have Houston selecting a wide receiver in the first round, but this one had a link to an interesting article about Justin Hunter on their rumour mill.
http://www.walterfootball.com/nfldra...p#justinhunter

Quote:
WalterFootall.com spoke with some scouts, including one from a receiver-needy team picking in the back half of the top 32. All believe that Hunter is likely to go in the first round. They said the Combine really helped Hunter with positive reports from his medical check and an excellent 40-yard dash time of 4.44 seconds.
Quote:
Scouts told WalterFootball.com that they love the upside of Hunter. He has the size to work in the short to intermediate part of the field and speed to get vertical. They like his run-after-the-catch ability as well as his combination of size and speed. Hunter hasn't received a lot of first-round buzz, but one team in the mid 20s said it would be ecstatic if he was on the board for its pick.
I'm pretty sure the writer is talking about the Texans. He mentions the scout twice in the article. Lots of rumours spread this time of year, though.
Old 04-02-2013   #2
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 265614 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Are the Texans targeting Justin Hunter?

I won't believe 99% of rumors is credited to insiders from teams, from just after the Combine until draft day.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013   #3
TXAg14
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 TXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respected

With the Texans, who knows at 27. The safe bet is to get a WR, but I can see them getting a LB, OL help, etc. with the pick as well. Hell, it could be a TE for all I know.

I've spent almost every draft trying to guess and pick who would be drafted by the Texans, and almost every time I seem to be wrong. Way wrong. Basically, I've just learned my lesson to not be surprised when the Texans pick gets announced and trust the front office.
TXAg14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013   #4
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

My source told me that the Texans are targeting RB Eddie Lacy in the first.
If he's not there, they will take a Kicker.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013   #5
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89407 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
My source told me that the Texans are targeting RB Eddie Lacy in the first.
If he's not there, they will take a Kicker.
Asidd's buddy sure talks a lot. He told me the Texans were targeting a center in the first.

(We'd better be looking at Hunter!)
Old 04-02-2013   #6
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

He suffered an ACL in 2011. He is 6'4" 196#. He is built like a walking stick.

If he doesn't add significant weight/bulk especially in his lower extremities (quads/hammies) to protect his knees.........NFL D's will likely offer to help him into bed........a hospital bed.........soon and often.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013   #7
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post

If he doesn't add significant weight/bulk especially in his lower extremities (quads/hammies) to protect his knees.........NFL D's will likely offer to help him into bed........a hospital bed.........soon and often.
Didn't those measurements describe Randy Moss when he came out of Marshall...??
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-02-2013   #8
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I remember hearing during combine coverage, someone saying that he lost around 10 pounds or so in order to post a better time...i.e. he plays closer to 205 (not that is truly bulky or anything),
Old 04-02-2013   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Didn't those measurements describe Randy Moss when he came out of Marshall...??
Can Hunter run a 4.25?
Old 04-02-2013   #10
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Asidd's buddy sure talks a lot. He told me the Texans were targeting a center in the first.

(We'd better be looking at Hunter!)
I heard they are targeting a Long Snapper, but they will go BPA and that will probably end up being Punt Team Gunner.
Old 04-02-2013   #11
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
I remember hearing during combine coverage, someone saying that he lost around 10 pounds or so in order to post a better time...i.e. he plays closer to 205 (not that is truly bulky or anything),
I'm 6' 4" 230 these days, but when I was his age I weighed about 170, that's a stick. Compared to that 196 is down right muscle bound.........
Old 04-03-2013   #12
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Hope someone else drafts him. He looks clumsy at times. His legs are too long and skinny. There will be a lot better value at 27 than what he brings.
Old 04-03-2013   #13
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

This is my issue with him. I can see why people like his skills set, but watching him cut on some of his breaks makes me cringe. He's already had 1 non-contact ACL injury
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013   #14
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I doubt seriously the Texans are targeting any one player at #27, but I'm sure Justin Hunter is probably on their list of acceptable prospects. He is skinny but I think an NFL level strength and conditioning program will add some bulk to him and I'd have no problem if the Texans picked him in the 1st. Hopkins has a higher floor but Hunter has a much higher ceiling. Yes he's a little risky but all rookies have risk attached to them. Hunter has great measurables and athleticism that could make him special in a couple years.

Last edited by Wolf6151; 04-03-2013 at 04:58 AM.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013   #15
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

There are 2 areas of concern (in my mind) with Hunter:

He has one of the highest drop rates amongst the top WRs in the draft. That's an issue. What good is it to have athleticism and measurables if you don't consistently catch the ball. I'm sure this can be improved if he's dedicated and works hard.

Then we get to the primary issue (at least for me) the injury risk. Watching him in and out of breaks you'll notice alot of knee movement that's not supposed to happen. The knee is a hinge joint, it's supposed to bend in one direction, movement outside of that range increases the likely hood of injury. He's already had a serious non contact injury to one knee, and watching him move the chance of it happening again is definitely there. That would be a concern for me, especially in a first round pick.
Old 04-03-2013   #16
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd take him in a minute.

I'm not concerned about his injury nor his weight.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013   #17
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
There are 2 areas of concern (in my mind) with Hunter:

He has one of the highest drop rates amongst the top WRs in the draft. That's an issue. What good is it to have athleticism and measurables if you don't consistently catch the ball. I'm sure this can be improved if he's dedicated and works hard.

Then we get to the primary issue (at least for me) the injury risk. Watching him in and out of breaks you'll notice alot of knee movement that's not supposed to happen. The knee is a hinge joint, it's supposed to bend in one direction, movement outside of that range increases the likely hood of injury. He's already had a serious non contact injury to one knee, and watching him move the chance of it happening again is definitely there. That would be a concern for me, especially in a first round pick.
Exactly why I posted the "stick"...............his knees. He'll probably need to get to at least 210 in the NFL. And then his knees would still remain a concern. You wonder what happens to his 4.40 time (taken at his lightest weight) when he gets to a more reasonable NFL playing weight. Overall, if we could get him in the 2nd round, I think he may be worth a try.
Old 04-03-2013   #18
otisbean
All Pro

Quote:
Exactly why I posted the "stick"...............his knees. He'll probably need to get to at least 210 in the NFL. And then his knees would still remain a concern. You wonder what happens to his 4.40 time (taken at his lightest weight) when he gets to a more reasonable NFL playing weight. Overall, if we could get him in the 2nd round, I think he may be worth a try.
If he's there in the 2nd, definitely worth the risk. You can definitely add weight and maintain, even gain speed if the weight is added appropriately to the correct areas, its like adding a bigger engine to a car. If you look at photos of Usain Bolt over the years, he added a lot of size in his legs and he's become ridiculously fast as a result.

I'd still be concerned with injury though, he has such long legs to stabilize/decelerate
Old 04-03-2013   #19
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
If he's there in the 2nd, definitely worth the risk. You can definitely add weight and maintain, even gain speed if the weight is added appropriately to the correct areas, its like adding a bigger engine to a car. If you look at photos of Usain Bolt over the years, he added a lot of size in his legs and he's become ridiculously fast as a result.

I'd still be concerned with injury though, he has such long legs to stabilize/decelerate
Old 04-03-2013   #20
otisbean
All Pro

LOL!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read