Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-02-2013   #41
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Let's discuss Texans ILB

Quin ran a 4.49
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013   #42
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18100 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
Last season we were beaten up by the new breed of large & quick TE coming across into the shallow middle zone. We were also taken advantage of by the faster paced teams when we were just a bit slow with our substitutions. By having a larger LB ( say 6'-2", 250 lbs, running in the 4.6 range ) we match up better against these TE's, while giving Wade more flexibility in his defensive calls. I get a feeling that Wade hasn't quite had the personnel to fully execute his defense and this would be improved by a three down ILB.

A large ,strong, fast SS who could play in the box and who could help seal the middle against the run would also help.

All defenses have a weak spot which can be attacked. Wade's 1-gap 34 defense has it's weak spot right up the middle and this is where we need the most improvement.
I don't really recall us having big problems against defending tight ends last season. Aaron Hernandez had decent games, but nothing spectacular. I thought GQ and Manning did a good job covering TEs. In fact, football outsiders ranked us 4th in the league against opposing tight ends.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013   #43
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogmrb View Post
I would like to see Braman get a shot at ILB. I don't know if he can make it or not but, he seems to have the motor and attitude to make a good one.
At WTAMU, the d-coord had Braman playing everywhere but CB and S.

He'd be a DE on play, then on the other side as an OLB. He wreaked havoc no matter where he was placed.

The thing about Braman is that he wears down opposing linemen. In the Texans-Jets preseason game in 2011, and I know it wasn't against 1st teamers but still...Braman wore his OLineman out to the point that Braman was getting to the QB a lot at the end of the game.

Something that could never be said of Connor Barwin.

I don't know if Braman will ever be used for more than ST, though. I wish he'd get more chances at LB, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 04-02-2013   #44
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 57173 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
At WTAMU, the d-coord had Braman playing everywhere but CB and S.

He'd be a DE on play, then on the other side as an OLB. He wreaked havoc no matter where he was placed.

The thing about Braman is that he wears down opposing linemen. In the Texans-Jets preseason game in 2011, and I know it wasn't against 1st teamers but still...Braman wore his OLineman out to the point that Braman was getting to the QB a lot at the end of the game.

Something that could never be said of Connor Barwin.

I don't know if Braman will ever be used for more than ST, though. I wish he'd get more chances at LB, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
I know you're pretty high on him GP as was his former coach(?) that put a bug in Rick's/Wade's ear to give him a chance. He's been killer on teams. The only negative I've heard/read about his play is he needs more experience.

How does one acquire this so called "experience"?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013   #45
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Quin ran a 4.49
My mistake.

Don't know why I thought he was in the 4.5 range.
Old 04-02-2013   #46
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 86073 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Totally agree with this post.... well except that Merci, Barwin, or Reed aren't hood pass rushers... I don't know what they did in the hood.

But we definitely need to find an outside pass rusher. I want a WR or even a OG (LG specifically) so badly, but if we get a pass rusher in the first, I won't be mad.
I think we will find Wade Smith spending his last season at LG with Brooks @ RG. In '14 Brooks will move to LG and we will draft OG for right. Hint, we might select OT later this month that could also play RG.
Old 04-03-2013   #47
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 112650 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quin ran a 4.49
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
My mistake.

Don't know why I thought he was in the 4.5 range.
As another of our posters might point out, that's his shorts & T-shirt time. How fast does he PLAY?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013   #48
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Those guys deserve considerations; I like Sio Moore better both on tapes (he also had good weeks at the Shrine game and the Senior Bowl) and at the combine.

This guy really can play at any of the four LB spots.
He can run with TEs and RBs, even with some slots, too.
He was used everywhere at UConn and played well at each and all spots; extremely versatile.

http://nflsfuture.com/2013/03/08/sio...outing-report/
I like Moore quite a bit as well. I really like his versatility, as you mentioned. I'm also a big fan of Collins for the same reason. Hell, I'd love to add both Moore and Collins. We HAVE to improve our pass rush or we'll never beat the top teams in the AFC
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013   #49
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I'm worried about Brooks and merci at olb. That duo doesn't excite me. I need to see more from merciless. I didn't see him show the ability to beat blocks last season or in college really. Reed to me rushes like a good pass rushing dt. That's his pass rush style IMO.

I personally don't think merciless, barwin nor reed are hood pass rushers. I think merciless has the most potential there simply because he's quicker than the other two, but meh....

We need another guy out there, or we need to seriously consider letting braman get some real pass rushing attempts. If we roll reed and merciless out there, our pass rush is going to be about the same as last year. Maybe a little better, nothing to write home about.
Agree 100%
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013   #50
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 32528 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

We will wait until atleast the 3rd round to draft a ILB.
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013   #51
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
I know you're pretty high on him GP as was his former coach(?) that put a bug in Rick's/Wade's ear to give him a chance. He's been killer on teams. The only negative I've heard/read about his play is he needs more experience.

How does one acquire this so called "experience"?
I watched him play for two years here in Canyon, TX, during his days at WTAMU.

You'd have to find him every play because he was always somewhere different every down. He would just blow plays up...QBs getting sacked before they even had time to set up, RBs getting rolled as they tried to make the edge, knifing through the interior and stuffing a run play in the backfield, covering TEs.

I think this is his 3rd year here. If the Texans don't rework a deal to add a season or two to his contract, I think he'll make a nice payday as a FA after 2014.

I don't know if he'll ever crack into our rotation more, but it's obvious he's a lock to make the roster every year. UDFAs who stick year after year, you can't help but really admire a player like him for working his way into an NFL team.
Old 04-03-2013   #52
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans need to give Braman some meaningful snaps this year if he comes into the season prepared and ready.

Guys with that much ability, that play with that much passion and abandonment should get a chance to showcase their skills on more than just special teams.

I honestly believe he could be the best pass rusher we have on the team right now.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013   #53
Lucky

Rep Power: 99011 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I'm pretty much with you on that. One problem could be that Braman is strictly a speed rusher, and doesn't have the strength to disengage from a good pass blocker. I know that the Texans have had difficulty beefing him up. Possibly due to his bad chompers (which I believe have been fixed). If Braman can get stronger this offseason, I think the Texans may have a secret pass rushing weapon in 2013.

ILB? I'm wondering what the Texans think about K-State's Arthur Brown. I've seen him in a lot of mocks going late 1st round. LSU's Minter also improved on his 40 time at his pro day, so he is probably back in the late 1st round picture. That the Texans haven't looked at ILB yet makes me think they will look for a solution in the draft.
Old 04-03-2013   #54
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Texans need to give Braman some meaningful snaps this year if he comes into the season prepared and ready.

Guys with that much ability, that play with that much passion and abandonment should get a chance to showcase their skills on more than just special teams.

I honestly believe he could be the best pass rusher we have on the team right now.
It'd be great if he could be our Clay Matthews. I don't think Matthews over speeds, or out muscles his opponent. He just outsmarts him. Sets him up to the outside, goes inside. Sets him up inside, goes outside. Gets him off balance, then clocks him... very smart pass rusher.
Old 04-03-2013   #55
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I'm pretty much with you on that. One problem could be that Braman is strictly a speed rusher, and doesn't have the strength to disengage from a good pass blocker. I know that the Texans have had difficulty beefing him up. Possibly due to his bad chompers (which I believe have been fixed). If Braman can get stronger this offseason, I think the Texans may have a secret pass rushing weapon in 2013.

ILB? I'm wondering what the Texans think about K-State's Arthur Brown. I've seen him in a lot of mocks going late 1st round. LSU's Minter also improved on his 40 time at his pro day, so he is probably back in the late 1st round picture. That the Texans haven't looked at ILB yet makes me think they will look for a solution in the draft.
Brown's measurables are very similar to Daryl Sharpton's.
Their playing weight were around the low 230s, with Brown about 1/2 an inch taller.
He bulked up for the draft to about 240 (as compared to 236 for Sharpton.)

They test about the same; their college productions are about the same; their tapes look about the same.
Actually, Sharpton was better at taking on blockers and was in man coverage much more often whereas Brown was mostly a hole/curl, curl/flat defender.

I see little value with Brown in the first.
Old 04-03-2013   #56
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18096 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Do you guys think GB OLB new contract which is said to be over 13 mil a year is going to lead to Cushing leaving?

I know Cushing is a ILB which is normally paid lower than OLB but being Cushing to the Texans is as important as Mathews is too GB? I am sure Cushing will be looking to be highest paid ILB in history.

I would not be surprised if the Texans draft a ILB in the 1st round with that position being a need and to cover the potential loss of Cushing.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013   #57
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 86073 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
Do you guys think GB OLB new contract which is said to be over 13 mil a year is going to lead to Cushing leaving?

I know Cushing is a ILB which is normally paid lower than OLB but being Cushing to the Texans is as important as Mathews is too GB? I am sure Cushing will be looking to be highest paid ILB in history.

I would not be surprised if the Texans draft a ILB in the 1st round with that position being a need and to cover the potential loss of Cushing.
I think we should look to new contracts/extensions recently signed by Brown, Foster and Schaub. High dollar but good for team and player. None were highest in history. Love Cush but he needs to have a fantastic year.
Old 04-05-2013   #58
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post

If I'm Rick Smith, I'd be very cautious re-signing Cushing because of his injury and PED history. I think both are factors that work in the Texans favor when/if the Texans re-sign Cushing, and the fact that ILB is a lesser paid position than OLB. It sucks that in the modern salary cap era of the NFL a team can't always re-sign the players that they draft and build. Just like losing Barwin and Quin sucked, Cushing may be a salary cap casualty. Remember Watt will be getting a new contract in a couple years and I imagine it will be huge. Rick is probably already looking down the road and positioning the team financially for that contract.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013   #59
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
If I'm Rick Smith, I'd be very cautious re-signing Cushing because of his injury and PED history. I think both are factors that work in the Texans favor when/if the Texans re-sign Cushing, and the fact that ILB is a lesser paid position than OLB. It sucks that in the modern salary cap era of the NFL a team can't always re-sign the players that they draft and build. Just like losing Barwin and Quin sucked, Cushing may be a salary cap casualty. Remember Watt will be getting a new contract in a couple years and I imagine it will be huge. Rick is probably already looking down the road and positioning the team financially for that contract.
People may think I'm crazy, but I think it's best to trade away players that are not the number one guy on either of your offensive or defensive unit, unless he has no red flag or just too good to let go.

The talents that come out of college are plenty.
Guys are bigger, faster, stronger, quicker, can jump higher, etc.
Use the acquired pick(s) to either stock up talent or combine them to trade up for a better choice.
Use the extra money for a short-term one-to-two year vet FA.

Rinse and repeat.
(Since the more talents coming out of college, the more FAs will be available in the off-season.)

Spend a lot of resources on scouting and player development.
Some of the college players have great athleticism but lack reps due to one reason or another.
A big guy may have a poor eating habit; or he could have "skinny legs" (poor base) without a proper conditioning program to enhance that base.
(Jonathan Jenkins, for example, is top-heavy, and can get pushed around or cut down more often than he should be.)
Most of the college coaches get pressure from the school alumni to perform NOW (not unlike companies in the stock market), they think more about "what work now" and often don't have time to develop a certain weakness area of players.

Obviously, I'm only skimming the surface of the topic.
Old 04-05-2013   #60
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 61262 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
People may think I'm crazy, but I think it's best to trade away players that are not the number one guy on either of your offensive or defensive unit, unless he has no red flag or just too good to let go.

The talents that come out of college are plenty.
Guys are bigger, faster, stronger, quicker, can jump higher, etc.
Use the acquired pick(s) to either stock up talent or combine them to trade up for a better choice.
Use the extra money for a short-term one-to-two year vet FA.

Rinse and repeat.
(Since the more talents coming out of college, the more FAs will be available in the off-season.)

Spend a lot of resources on scouting and player development.
Some of the college players have great athleticism but lack reps due to one reason or another.
A big guy may have a poor eating habit; or he could have "skinny legs" (poor base) without a proper conditioning program to enhance that base.
(Jonathan Jenkins, for example, is top-heavy, and can get pushed around or cut down more often than he should be.)
Most of the college coaches get pressure from the school alumni to perform NOW (not unlike companies in the stock market), they think more about "what work now" and often don't have time to develop a certain weakness area of players.

Obviously, I'm only skimming the surface of the topic.
There is some good logic here, but the actual problem is that the NFL is not a trading league. There is not a consistent flow of willing buyers for a team's pretty good players.

Edit: Here are the off-season trades do far

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/transactions/trades

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read