Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013   #2081
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Ed Reed agrees to terms with Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
After all, we're better with Glover Quin...

Not to mention the cost of keeping Quin would have been $1 million more than what we're giving Ed per-year
Actually, it looks like we're paying Reed more.

Glover's deal =5 year deal - $23.5M - $5.25 signing bonus - $2.05M cap hit for 2013 - $5.05M cap hit for 2014 - $5.05M cap hit for 2015

Reed's deal =3 year deal - $15M - $2M signing Bonus - $3.3M cap hit for 2013 - $5.3M cap hit for 2014 - $6.3M cap hit for 2015

Ed Reed counts more against our cap over the next three years than Quin will count vs the Lions' cap.

Last edited by thunderkyss; 03-29-2013 at 09:30 AM.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013   #2082
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I received a PM from the troll.

Didn't even read it.

Trolls gonna' troll.
Old 03-29-2013   #2083
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

Glover's deal =5 year deal - $23.5M - $5.25 signing bonus - $2.05M cap hit for 2013 - $5.05M cap hit for 2014 - $5.05M cap hit for 2015

Reed's deal =3 year deal - $15M - $2M signing Bonus - $3.3M cap hit for 2013 - $5.3M cap hit for 2014 - $6.3M cap hit for 2015

Ed Reed counts more against our cap over the next three years than Quin will count vs the Lions' cap.
cap space is different than what we actually dishes out each year .

We are only responsible to pay $6M to get Reed to play in 2013; the Lions spend $250K more.

If both players last thru 2014, the Lions would still have to spend $250K more in actual money.

There's no guarantee that we even bring Reed back on 2014.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013   #2084
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

We are only responsible to pay $6M to get Reed to play in 2013; the Lions spend $250K more.

If both players last thru 2014, the Lions would still have to spend $250K more in actual money.

I thought that $5 mil was guaranteed.......and that there was only a potential for an additional $1 mil bonus for meeting goals of staying on the field/performance........POSSIBLY making a total of $6 mil for 2013?
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013   #2085
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

Honestly I'd be surprised if we keep Reed around for the 3rd year. Granted I haven't really looked at the contract figures too closely but I feel like we'll keep Reed for two years and then release him with very minimal cap consequences. Glover on the other hand would be more severe. I really liked him on this team and wish him the best but personally I'd rather have Reed over Quin for the next two seasons even at their respective ages.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013   #2086
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 71024 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

This is Reeds retiriment money and he knows that. I'm sure he will do his best to squeeze all the money out of this deal that he can. I expect Reed to play like a HOFer just for that reason. IMO
Old 03-29-2013   #2087
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I thought that $5 mil was guaranteed.......and that there was only a potential for an additional $1 mil bonus for meeting goals of staying on the field/performance........POSSIBLY making a total of $6 mil for 2013?
Spottrac has him at $5 Million guaranteed, a $4 Million sigining bonus, a $1 Million 2013 roster bonus, and a $1 Million 2013 base salary. This is a $3.33 cap hit for 2013.

Other reports I've seen (Rotoworld for one) have described it as a $2 Million signing bonus, $1 Million dollar 2013 roster bonus, and a $3 Million base salary for 2013 ($6 million guaranteed). This would be a $4.67 Million 2013 cap hit

If Spottrac's wrong, it wouldn't be the first time for them to take a little while to get their act together. ( In fact, they currently indicate a $2 Million signing bonus, but then calculate the cap hit using $4 Million).

The $6 Million for the first year (cash payment - not cap figure) seems to be pretty consistent. Everything else, I'll hold off on buying into.
Old 03-29-2013   #2088
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Spottrac has him at $5 Million guaranteed, a $4 Million sigining bonus, a $1 Million 2013 roster bonus, and a $1 Million 2013 base salary. This is a $3.33 cap hit for 2013.

Other reports I've seen (Rotoworld for one) have described it as a $2 Million signing bonus, $1 Million dollar 2013 roster bonus, and a $3 Million base salary for 2013 ($6 million guaranteed). This would be a $4.67 Million 2013 cap hit

If Spottrac's wrong, it wouldn't be the first time for them to take a little while to get their act together. ( In fact, they currently indicate a $2 Million signing bonus, but then calculate the cap hit using $4 Million).

The $6 Million for the first year (cash payment - not cap figure) seems to be pretty consistent. Everything else, I'll hold off on buying into.
^^^ This
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013   #2089
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I mispoke. The fact remains, that we did not sign Ed Reed for a $1M less (for 2013) than the Lions signed Quin.

Signing Reed (in lieu of Quin) has little to do with saving cap space this year, or "saving money for Cushing" next year either. Reed's cap number is more than Quins in both years.

Yes, he can be cut for the 2015 season if needed to pay Watt, or if he decides to retire, or if flat out can't play.

Last edited by thunderkyss; 03-29-2013 at 06:35 PM.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013   #2090
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who understands basic math.
Old 03-30-2013   #2091
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Not to mention the cost of keeping Quin would have been $1 million more than what we're giving Ed per-year...

I feel personally responsible for this as I had stated that Reed would cost $1M less than Quin would for 2013. That was upon seeing the initial numbers of both contracts & not the structure. I didn't even know what the signing bonuses were at the time.

Quote:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who understands basic math.
In this situation, the actual money paid to the player is of little concern to us, especially if you are not among those who frequently pay for game day tickets, and the overpriced foods & beverages they serve on game day.

As far as an organization goes & the future of this team, the only thing that really matters is the cap number. The Detroit Lions signed Quin for a smaller cap number in 2013, 2014, & 2015, than Reed's cap numbers for those same years.

My friend '76 is a dyed in the wool homer. He will find anything to twist & put a situation in the Texans' favor. But the fact remains in this situation we are paying a premium for Ed Reed (over Glover Quin) the question should be is he worth it?

Things working in Quin's favor.
  • It appears Wade liked to put a safety in the box
  • Quin got his hands on more balls than just about any safety in the league, passes defensed, interceptions, FF, Fumbles recoverd
  • Quin is younger

Things working in Reed's favor
  • Better ball skills
  • Not intimidated by top QBs
  • Intimidates top QBs

I think Reed is worth the premium, & I'd rather argue that, than argue Reed is cheaper (which isn't true, not where it counts to us).
Old 03-30-2013   #2092
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17109 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm hoping the guy plays so good that most of us start to consider him underpaid! I really have the feeling that he's gonna play great, and hopefully will still get the chance to go out on top.
Old 04-01-2013   #2093
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Interdasting....

Quote:
When the Baltimore Ravens lost Ed Reed to the Houston Texans and released Bernard Pollard, speculation immediately turned to their roles in the near mutiny that came via a closed-door team meeting back on Halloween.

Safeties Reed and Pollard openly challenged John Harbaugh's decision to practice in full pads that day, according to a Yahoo! Sports report. The end result was described as a "big group-therapy session" which Harbaugh handled in "amazing" fashion.

Pollard recently told KILT-AM in Houston there is "no truth at all" to the mutiny story, adding he was "offended" by Harbaugh's handling of the reports.

The word "mutiny" drew plenty of headlines. Pollard maintains Harbaugh simply "opened up the floor" and a healthy discussion ensued. He wonders why Harbaugh hasn't bothered to set the record straight.

"I'm offended by that, because we walked away from that situation thinking, 'OK, everybody's on the same page. We're all good,'" Pollard said. "Like I said, I'm just a little offended that the coach never stepped up and said anything."

Harbaugh's relationship with Reed "just blossomed," according to the coach, and the two remain "very close" despite the future Hall of Famer's departure.

The same can't be said for Harbaugh's relationship with Pollard, who apparently still harbors a grudge. The Ravens freed up $1 million in salary-cap space through Pollard's release. Perhaps more importantly, they got rid of a potential clash between coach and player in 2013.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...s-mutiny-story
Old 04-02-2013   #2094
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Funny, conflicting story

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/n...-headlines?r=1

Quote:
According to the Baltimore Sun, coach John Harbaugh wanted FS Ed Reed back with the Ravens "as much as he wants a root canal."
In other words, Harbaugh didn't want Reed back at all. The Sun's Mike Preston found it "interesting" that the national media made it seem like the Texans and Ravens were in a "bidding war" for Reed when Baltimore was never serious about re-signing him. On Monday's ESPN Football Today podcast, Scouts Inc.'s Matt Williamson suggested Reed and Michael Huff are similar players at this stage of their careers. Reed got a three-year, $15 million deal from Houston. The Ravens stole Huff for $6 million over three seasons -- George Wilson money.
Source: Baltimore Sun Apr 2 - 12:34 AM
Old 04-02-2013   #2095
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
This is Reeds retiriment money and he knows that. I'm sure he will do his best to squeeze all the money out of this deal that he can. I expect Reed to play like a HOFer just for that reason. IMO
I hope this isn't a Emmitt to the Cardinals, Mamath to the Rams, Unitas to the Chargers type situation.

Hopefully it's more like Woodson to the Ravens

Last edited by steelbtexan; 04-02-2013 at 09:20 AM.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013   #2096
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Or Dawkins to the broncos.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013   #2097
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post

Breaking down Michael Huff's $6 million Ravens deal, salary-cap update
Quote:
New free safety given $1.5 million in guaranteed money

By Aaron WilsonThe Baltimore Sun
10:36 a.m. EDT, April 1, 2013

Ravens free safety Michael Huff's three-year, $6 million contract includes a $1.5 million signing bonus, according to a league source with knowledge of the deal.

The replacement for Ed Reed and former Oakland Raiders first-round draft pick is due an $850,000 base salary in 2013 with a salary-cap figure of $1.35 million.

In 2014, Huff is due a $1.75 million base salary and carries a salary-cap figure of $2.25 million.

In 2015, Huff is due a $1.9 million base salary and carries a salary-cap figure of $2.4 million.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013   #2098
GP 
Go Texans!

The more I read, the more I think Ed Reed is not there because the coach doesn't want him there.

If so, this'll play to our advantage. Especially if and when we play the Ravens.

Maybe this is the year the Patriots slide a little, the Ravens slide a little, and we've made some acquisitions and draft picks AND stay healthy enough to maybe get to the AFCC and even the Super Bowl.

If we do, the Ed Reed signing will look like a genius move by the Texans.
Old 04-02-2013   #2099
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Or Dawkins to the broncos.
Um, I hope it's Dawkins to the Broncos. He was still bad ass in Denver; at least he was in year one.
Old 04-02-2013   #2100
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I hope this isn't a Emmitt to the Cardinals, Mamath to the Rams, Unitas to the Chargers type situation.
Green to the Texans.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read